Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

You did the right thing :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to them, but you did the right thing for your family and for the dogs.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
You did good, Wojtek. I'm not sure I could've done the same. Maybe when your little critter grows up some, they can help you take care of a smaller animal.

This guy knows his stuff.

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

When I was a toddler, my family had dogs. Inside dogs. A dalmation, collie, later a greyhound and fox terrier. One of my earliest memories is being in my car seat and being licked in the face by Spot. I petted and played with the dogs and learned early the proper way to treat animals. The dogs loved having someone to play with and were my loyal guardians. My parents even caught me eating out of the dog bowl one or twice.

There is plentiful evidence that early exposure to animals, especially dogs, decreases the odds of developing allergies.

It makes me sad that there are kids who will never know the joy of being raised by dogs. Of course, caution and supervision are always advised, and it depends on the dogs and the child.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Oh you loving piece of poo poo Wojtek how dare you. Come in here whining for sympathy why don't you tell people the real reason you don't have any time?

For anyone who feels sorry for this rear end in a top hat he plays WoW a good 7-10 hours a day everyday. When his first kid was born, like literally crowning out of his wife's vagina, he had his laptop in the hospital and started bitching about the latency and got kicked from the raid because the raid leader couldn't believe he was missing his kid's birth. Not a single word of that is an exaggeration.

He used to play mainly with Goon Squad but he just server transferred because we weren't serious enough. How often do you actually raid a night now Woj, four hours I think you said?

gently caress you. Those poor poor dogs. You are a terrible person and you should feel bad. And you should feel bad for neglecting your kids too but I'm sure you don't.

I worked for an animal shelter for 10 years and people like you make me sick to my stomach.

I hope every time you find a toy they left behind or a stray dog hair you remember you had two animals that loved you unconditionally and you were their world. And you gave that up for purple pixels in a video game. And I hope you understand that it is incredibly traumatic for dogs to be rehomed no matter how great the rescue is and all they know now is they are sad and afraid and they want you to come get them.

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 26, 2014

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Troll elsewhere, please. None of that is true.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Wojtek posted:

Troll elsewhere, please. None of that is true.

Nah, your post history and giant blocks of time wasted on WOW check out.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Pretty much everyone in PIFB has been saying the same thing.

You made a good decision to rehome your dogs, Wojtek, but a lot of people, myself included have watched your post history here in PI from day one when you got those dogs, and you ignored practically every bit of advice that wasn't directed at you in a smiley face format and you got told pretty much everything you'd need to have done to keep this from happening but none of that ended up happening. I understand, human family comes first, but claiming that you don't have enough time is pretty spurious when half of your posts on SA are WOW related. I don't want to kick you when you're down, but Elizatits has a point and maybe you should see that.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Considering you've made 16 posts in the WoW subforum since you started this thread 2 days ago, and 52 posts in the last week alone, I'm inclined to believe what elizatits and others have said in this thread.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Believe what you want. I showed my wife that post and she thought it was ridiculous and told me not to let that guy get to me, but thanks for trying to make me feel like an even bigger piece of poo poo.

Thanks for the advice, those of you that were actually helpful.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm sorry about your dogs, Wojtek. I had to give my buddy up years ago when I was forced into a situation I couldn't change and I still have her collar and tags on my wall to this day. Don't let the jerks get to you, you saw a bad situation and fixed it. In the end that's good, even though it'll hurt for some time. Try to remember the good times you had and realize that you made the right decision in the end.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Wojtek posted:

Believe what you want. I showed my wife that post and she thought it was ridiculous and told me not to let that guy get to me, but thanks for trying to make me feel like an even bigger piece of poo poo.

Everyone here has been helpful, but your lack of responsibility and introspection means you can't see that. You had time and energy for these dogs, all you had to do was cut back your stupid loving WoW addiction, but instead you dumped your dogs because :qq:IT'S HARD NOT BEING A LAZY TURD:qq:

But hey, I'm glad your wife totally thinks you're a good person. Incidentally, have either of you ever heard of the sunk cost fallacy??? Anyway, glad you found someone to pat you on the butt, which was all you were really looking for with this thread anyway. You had no intention of trying to make the situation work, you just wanted people to tell you it was ok to dump those poor dogs.

It wasn't, hth.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gosh maybe you guys should lighten up on him. 7-10 hours of WoW isn't that much. I used to play way more than that and my dogs were super well taken care of and I had a social life and everything.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Wojtek posted:

Glad you took time out of your day to show your wife a "mean" post on an internet forum. Get your priorities straight and your life in order.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I still don't understand why the babies couldn't be around the dog fur. That's idiotic, babies lick the damned floor given the chance. I doubt some fur would hurt them, and christ if you swiffer once a day you shouldn't have that much fur. This whole thing is stupid. If you can't use a little common sense don't get animals.

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

Couldn't you have just sold your WoW account for a couple grand and used the money for a dog walker or doggie daycare?

Anyway, I hope the hundreds of hours you spent farming a cartoon crab pet were worth it. You know you can't rehome your kids as easily when the next rare pet or mount gets added to the game, right?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

7-10 hours of WoW isn't that much

lol

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Honey! Some people said some mean things on the forum something awful dot com, stop the presses.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:) Toby laughed at one of my jokes. Today is a great day.

E: I really don't know how you can play WoW that long without considering it a second job that pays nothing, is worth nothing, and is really just about a bunch of stupid loving pixels flailing around endlessly toward absolutely no end goal. Cancel your subscription for 3 months and see how much extra time you gain, woj. It surprised the gently caress out of me how much time I was throwing into a black hole and paying to do so. Never went back.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 26, 2014

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Just for anyone who wonders why we're dogpiling (yes) Wojtek here, check out this lovely stream of posts regarding keeping his dogs in the backyard from three years ago, and note the complete lack of advice taken.

My dogs dig up my backyard but ughhh training and walking is haaarrrdd

And that's not even covering the thread where he posted about getting them from a BYB despite all advice telling him not to, and then got two puppies at once despite all advice telling him not to. This situation was entirely preventable with just some minor common sense from the getgo instead of 'I DO WHAT I WANT'.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:) Toby laughed at one of my jokes. Today is a great day.

E: I really don't know how you can play WoW that long without considering it a second job that pays nothing, is worth nothing, and is really just about a bunch of stupid loving pixels flailing around endlessly toward absolutely no end goal. Cancel your subscription for 3 months and see how much extra time you gain, woj. It surprised the gently caress out of me how much time I was throwing into a black hole and paying to do so. Never went back.

I thankfully never got drawn into it like that, but my little brother was unemployed (living at our mothers house) and playing for 50-60 hours a week. If he could grow facial hair he'd be that neckbearded grognard. When he finally quit playing, it was like he was a whole different person. Where he would spend weeks isolated in his room, he'd actually come out to the bar. He got a girlfriend, he got a job, and most of all,he finally grew that mustache he always wanted!

Don't get me wrong, I like me some vidja games. I have spent a truly worrisome amount of money on video games through my life. But when I got dogs (let alone kids) I put that stuff on the back burner. Where I used to play 10-12 hours a week after work, now I'm lucky if I get 2-3 hours on a weekend to really game on. And I have to say that I really enjoy playing with my dogs, and as much as I like gaming, I really don't miss it at all.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Toddlers like Wojtek's oldest form a lot of memories even if they don't go on to recall them with photographic clarity. They pick up on it if Daddy isn't helping Mommy parent and keep house and they remember if Daddy locks himself away in a room for 7-10 hours when they could be spending time with the family.

Not that this has anything to do with dogs but it is why my parental friends hung up the video games or cut back dramatically when their kids came along.

Edit: do you value this achievement that you earned last Friday night more than you miss your dogs?

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 26, 2014

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
This thread makes me sad :(

It's great that you realized that you cannot care for the dogs and allowed them to be re-homed where they'll get what they need. It's sad that you're not accepting that part of you not being able to care for the dogs is by choice.

Take some personal responsibility here, this isn't a situation that was unavoidable.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

demozthenes posted:

Toddlers like Wojtek's oldest form a lot of memories even if they don't go on to recall them with photographic clarity. They pick up on it if Daddy isn't helping Mommy parent and keep house and they remember if Daddy locks himself away in a room for 7-10 hours when they could be spending time with the family.

Not that this has anything to do with dogs but it is why my parental friends hung up the video games or cut back dramatically when their kids came along.

Edit: do you value this achievement that you earned last Friday night more than you miss your dogs?

That being said, I have fond memories from when I was young where my brothers and I would get a few minutes before bedtime to watch our father play some computer games (early, early computer games. He was a "gamer" for a long time before Doom was even a thought). My older brother now has two kids of his own, and they sit together and play (age appropriate) games together and my nephews really enjoy it.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to play games, but you've got to keep your priorities straight. Include the kids in game time (healing in WoW is pretty easy, right?) and it could be great.

What are the odds you post your /played on here, Wojtek?

e: when I quit WoW (after about 7 years of playing) my highest level character had a /played of 5 days and change.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
His mount collecting rank in the world, anyone who's played WoW will recognize that this is obviously not an issue of lack of free time.

The probably wrecked your yard because you weren't exercising them enough and they got bored and destructive, as most dogs do when they are neglected.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

My husband games a lot and it makes him happy. It's a priority in his life and I'm fine with it. As a result, we have an indoor cat (which I take care of) and we have CHOSEN to never have kids or dogs because we value our free time and freedom. You apparently have made different life choices. Please do yourself (& wife) a favor and talk to your wife about getting a vasectomy. It's a simple outpatient procedure, minimal discomfort, and they usually are performed on a Friday and you take it easy during the weekend and then you're back to normal. I use to assist with them and they take about 45 minutes tops.

Kids and dogs are choices. You already chose both and then discarded the latter. Please learn from this lesson and never have dogs again.
Also man up and spend all your free time with your kid(s) because you already made that loving decision and can't go back on that one.

Woman
Oct 31, 2010
I hope those dogs find a wonderful new home where they can live out the rest of their lives making up for the complete lack of care and love you showed them.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Umm I don't think he needs a vasectomy; that's a little extreme. He does need to consider his video game addiction as it obviously has become a detriment to his life.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

mcswizzle posted:

I think it's perfectly acceptable to play games, but you've got to keep your priorities straight. Include the kids in game time (healing in WoW is pretty easy, right?) and it could be great.

A two year old shouldn't have anywhere near enough daily screen time to learn how to play World of Warcraft.

ASSHAT(S)
Feb 11, 2004

You will do as the Scorpions have before you!
Not to just jump in to just kick someone in the balls after they are already bruised, but Wojtek is truly a despicable human.

I've been realid friends with him on WoW for over two years and his addictive habits are absolutely true. The hospital story is true, and the stories of neglect towards his family, children, and pets are also. I can't recall how many times in guild chat he would say disgusting and repugnant things about hoping his child would die or be abused , or how terrible of a father he was only to say"just kidding" after hours of spouting terrible things. He was simply cruel to most people in GSH to the point he had to be removed.

People who have visited Wojtek were telling me yesterday they weren't surprised that he abandoned his animals, because when they were there he neglected his dogs and left them outside for days on end.

Even yesterday when he was too busy to care for animals, he was logging onto wow during the early afternoon and stayed on all throughout the evening.
I'm honestly not surprised with him creating this thread or his behavior of abandoning his dogs; he acts like a narcissistic sociopath and this lines up exactly with what I would expect from him.
Like others have said you never deserved those animals or the love they had for you, and I hope they find a home that shows them the love and attention they need.

ASSHAT(S) fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 26, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demozthenes posted:

A two year old shouldn't have anywhere near enough daily screen time to learn how to play World of Warcraft.

I don't think the dude realized the kid is 2, too. Maybe they could pacman together.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I don't think the dude realized the kid is 2, too. Maybe they could pacman together.

I didn't realize the kid was two, no, but I think I (and meant to if I didn't) make the point of saying something about "age appropriate games"

mcswizzle posted:

My older brother now has two kids of his own, and they sit together and play (age appropriate) games together and my nephews really enjoy it.

There it is. I guess it could have been more clear, but I don't think its a good idea for a 2yr old to heal in wow. DPS is way easier.

(My brother limits screen time as a whole - the kids get to choose if they want to watch TV/Movies, or watch Dad play games/play games with him, and they know they only get that time and have to do other things once they run out)

e: and he himself only gets a few hours a week, sometimes less. I'm just saying that you can have your cake and eat it too, in this case. You just have to be smart and realistic about how much time you can invest in it when you have other, more "alive" obligations.

mcswizzle fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 26, 2014

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

This is what his dogs and children suffered for:

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

ASSHAT(S) posted:

The hospital story is true

Queen Elizatits posted:

When his first kid was born, like literally crowning out of his wife's vagina, he had his laptop in the hospital and started bitching about the latency and got kicked from the raid because the raid leader couldn't believe he was missing his kid's birth. Not a single word of that is an exaggeration.
:stare: That poor woman, those poor kids, those poor dogs.

OP, think about this episode with the dogs as a wake up call about your future with your wife and kids. Quit WoW now before it harms your life anymore.

Like other people said, you don't have to completely give video games up, just find one that you can play that doesn't take up as much time and find ways to play with your family. Win-win for everyone.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I had no plans on posting here again but Wojtek don't bother PM'ing me again. I am not going to read it and I am certainly not interested in any kind of dialogue with you.

I've met hundreds of dog owners like you and you all think you are special snowflakes but there is nothing you have to say to me that I haven't heard dozens of times before.

In the end you aren't the one who has to watch the dogs slowly deteriorate in a small concrete run confused and scared, you aren't the one who has to hold them when they are euthanized, and you aren't the one who has to load them into the back of a transport truck to be mass cremated.

Your dogs may have been lucky enough to go to a rescue but all that means is they took the place of two other dogs who needed help.

If you have something you feel like you have to tell me say it in the thread or better yet keep it to yourself. You and I both know every word I said was true.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Obstacle2 posted:

His mount collecting rank in the world, anyone who's played WoW will recognize that this is obviously not an issue of lack of free time.

The probably wrecked your yard because you weren't exercising them enough and they got bored and destructive, as most dogs do when they are neglected.

I was going to do a carepost again and say you did the right thing blah blah blah but gently caress, I am done with that. "I have no time to look after my dogs boo hoo" gently caress you. I'm glad your dogs are away from you and have a chance at being loved and cared for properly, but what about your wife and kid(s)? Is your life so awful you have to run away and escape from it every spare hour of the day and night? Seriously, see a therapist to address your chronic WOW addiction and start trying to live your life like a loving grown up husband and father. You are failing at everything but you have poo poo loads of mounts, yay..?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Please post the PM

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Wojtek posted:

They were like our babies.
Don't give your kids up for adoption too like you did your last babies.

This thread title is pretty fitting though. I hope you make #1 for mount collecting, looks like you have some serious skills!

PS You have terrible foresight and can't take any responsibility for your WOW addiction.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 26, 2014

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Queen Elizatits posted:

I had no plans on posting here again but Wojtek don't bother PM'ing me again. I am not going to read it and I am certainly not interested in any kind of dialogue with you.

I've met hundreds of dog owners like you and you all think you are special snowflakes but there is nothing you have to say to me that I haven't heard dozens of times before.

In the end you aren't the one who has to watch the dogs slowly deteriorate in a small concrete run confused and scared, you aren't the one who has to hold them when they are euthanized, and you aren't the one who has to load them into the back of a transport truck to be mass cremated.

Your dogs may have been lucky enough to go to a rescue but all that means is they took the place of two other dogs who needed help.

If you have something you feel like you have to tell me say it in the thread or better yet keep it to yourself. You and I both know every word I said was true.

Print the pm and then post a picture of King making GBS threads on it.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
LOL people like you make me sick. Not that I'm a paragon of virtue, but I postponed getting my own dog until I'd done nearly a years worth of research and preparation. I don't plan on having children so my husband and I have given our little dog everything and done our absolute best to give her a happy, healthy, well-behaved forever home. I can't imagine adopting puppies and then neglecting them in my backyard while I play video games... The guilt would destroy any joy the game gave me.

Here's my terrible secret... I game just as much now as I did before I had a dog, but she's tiny and cuddles up in my sweatshirt and naps while I play, so game time doubles as doggy cuddle time. I'd suggest a little cuddle dog for anyone who enjoys indoor hobbies like I do... But not for you Wojtek. You should keep away from pets entirely, you giant tool. I hope one of your kids spills your Mountain Dew all over your gaming computer in a fit of jealous petulance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Well this thread went to hell in a hand basket at record speed. I ran out of fingers to count up all the things that are wrong with this scenario. Hope your second child doesn't get in the way of your sweet place on the leaderboard OP.

• Locked thread