Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I had so much trouble with that dragon. He kept spamming that scatter shot thing when I fought him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

The flower's taken her over.
Did I miss something here?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

VagueRant posted:

Did I miss something here?

No. Zero knows more than us. We'll figure it out eventually.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

No. Zero knows more than us. We'll figure it out eventually.*

*Warning: May not figure out anything

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

But you can call me, Zero. And you're okay. Or maybe you were already bonkers from the start?
Best dragon. :buddy:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I have been waiting this entire LP to link this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WnfoJ51Qhk

It seems relevant now that Four's pulled a dragon out of a hole in the story. This is why you don't mess with timelines!

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 16, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Wales Grey posted:

I have been waiting this entire LP to link this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WnfoJ51Qhk

It seems relevant now that Four's pulled a dragon out of a hole in the story. This is why you don't mess with timelines!

swaggin'

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Zero, you just remarked that four lost her mind and that she would lose her mind if she was to summon a daemon dragon. The two could be related.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So were all the sisters supposed to have flowers on them like Zero and Two at some point or is Zero's eye-socket accessory just part of something bigger?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know why, but it never looks/sounds right when 'daemon' is pronounced the same as 'demon'. My first thought is always that it should be pronounced 'day-mon', even though I know that isn't right.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Geostomp posted:

So were all the sisters supposed to have flowers on them like Zero and Two at some point or is Zero's eye-socket accessory just part of something bigger?
Zero just really had an eye for botany after she lost Michael. Had to pick up a hobby while she waited for Mikhail to grow large enough.

Who What Now posted:

I don't know why, but it never looks/sounds right when 'daemon' is pronounced the same as 'demon'. My first thought is always that it should be pronounced 'day-mon', even though I know that isn't right.
Jophiel isn't just a knock-off of Gabriel. He's actually being emulated in this world. The dragon that Four summoned isn't even the real one; just something that she copied from another dimension!

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Acne Rain posted:

"the flower has taken her over" Zero you're the one with an eye-flower not Four

From Zero's perspective one half of everything she sees is a flower.

DialTheDude posted:

Zero just really had an eye for botany

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Geostomp posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Two having such a prominent flower herself ties in with her becoming crazy so easy in all the branches thus far.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BattleCattle posted:

When she said "This entire world will sing for me", did you notice the awkward change in tone? Somehow I don't think that was Four talking.

And her voiceovers during the boss fight have a weird reverb effect going on. My current theory: all of the Intoners (including Zero) are basically flower "seeds", so each has a flower in themselves. The flowers won't let them die until after the flowers have fully matured, at which point Bad poo poo happens for the entire world. Fortunately they're weak to dragon-based attacks, so flower bearers can still be killed without their flowers breaking out. Zero's figured out what's going on, but for whatever reason refuses to tell the others (or else they know but don't care); hence her murder roadtrip.

Meanwhile as the flower matures it gains more influence over its bearer (though here Zero seems to be special), changing their behavior and personality.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Darth TNT posted:

Zero, you just remarked that four lost her mind and that she would lose her mind if she was to summon a daemon dragon. The two could be related.

Can't lose what you don't have anymore!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And her voiceovers during the boss fight have a weird reverb effect going on. My current theory: all of the Intoners (including Zero) are basically flower "seeds", so each has a flower in themselves. The flowers won't let them die until after the flowers have fully matured, at which point Bad poo poo happens for the entire world. Fortunately they're weak to dragon-based attacks, so flower bearers can still be killed without their flowers breaking out. Zero's figured out what's going on, but for whatever reason refuses to tell the others (or else they know but don't care); hence her murder roadtrip.

Meanwhile as the flower matures it gains more influence over its bearer (though here Zero seems to be special), changing their behavior and personality.

I dont think the flower was doing wonders for her in Branch C

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BattleCattle posted:

Arino?
Nah, it was some dude that came here a year or two back claiming that he was the first LPer and Slowbeef is a thieving fraud and the dude was probably serious. It was pretty funny.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DeafNote posted:

I dont think the flower was doing wonders for her in Branch C

Had to go back and look up the ending. Okay, that's the one where Mikhail gets bisected while offing Gabrielle, Zero kills One herself (using her dragonfang sword), then Zero staggers off, puking, to go find another dragon to kill her. Dunno why she can't just impale herself on her sword, but whatever. She says "There's... s-still time..." as she's doing this, but one way to read this is that she's in denial: the flower's about to mature, so she really is just about out of time, the only dragons she knows of (Mikhail and Gabrielle) are both dead, and she's in the middle of the Cathedral City and apparently only able to manage a drunken stagger, so she's not going anywhere fast.

Nothing says the flower has to keep its carrier hale and hearty for the entire maturation process, after all.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
She can't impale herself because the flower won't let her self-terminate; it comes up at some point.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ehhh I know it's small but still don't spoil stuff.

E: boop ignore me

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 16, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It isn't a spoiler

The Dark Id posted:

I know about your flower. I know it's behind all of this. And I imagine it's not going to let you die until it succeeds in destroying the world.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Acne Rain posted:

"the flower has taken her over" Zero you're the one with an eye-flower not Four

Look it's a little too late on the crazy train to be splitting hairs like this

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Dark Id posted:

Additonally, Zophiel seems far more prone to belly flops out of the air. Which come with a big shockwave, but the dumb pirated daemon dragon has a good 20 second running around around recovery time to

Did you forget to finish this sentence?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

MadDogMike posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Two having such a prominent flower herself ties in with her becoming crazy so easy in all the branches thus far.

This was my thought as well.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Goddamn I don't know how just transferring a text file to another PC managed to mangle so much. I know that update had a music link when I wrote it and uploaded the goddamn video yesterday. :argh:

New Music: Prevolt - Zophiel

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Nice - I like how a lot of the boss fight musics build upon previous versions.

Like Ravel's Bolero, I'm a big fan of that kind of music.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 17, 2015

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Gods drat I'm going to be getting this soundtrack when the LP is over. Between this and Blissade - Raphael, they just keep better :allears:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXXIV: In Which Simon Says... RIP YOUR GUTS OUT!

Music: Prevolt – Zophiel

Welp. Four's Go-Bots Dragon has bit the dust. But it looks like Four still wants to throw down with Zero. If you insist, sis. Zero is always up for some good old fashion sororicide with any challengers in the family. Let's do this thing!

Leave this to me!

Err... not sure why Zero chose to be all sporting about this family squabble and dismount her dragon as well for the fight. But here we are...

Your clothes, your hair, your makeup... Eveeerything! Hee hee hee!
Not at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that never actually happened.
<off-kilter echo reverb> So now I'm going to imitate you again! If you're going to be an Intoner killer... then I'm going to be an Intoner killer too! Then the world will finally be quiet. Shhh... Not a peep from you, world. Eee hee hee!

So like the battles against One and Two on-foot, Four fights entirely like her DLC version. Which is to say a lot of quick kung fu kicks and strikes that are a lot harder to avoid up close than One's stupid rear end chakram business or Two's Buster Sword strikes. But far easier to just avoid by having range. Even if I don't use it myself just because I have more fun with swords, the spear class is choice against Four's limited range.

Though Four is really good at reading button inputs like a cheating AI twat anticipating Zero's movements to parry her attacks and instantly follow up with her own strikes. If Four decides to just immediately do a combo on Zero, welp there goes an eighth of the health bar with little ability to retaliate. Sometimes she gets sporting and does her version of a stamina attack, which can easily be dodged out of range if you're quick about it.

Thanks to this technically being the same boss fight as Zophiel, Zero ought to be drenched in blood from the first round and ripe for popping off Intoner Mode early into the fight. As with all the on-foot Intoner battles, Four will instantly retaliate. But Zero is basically invincible while going full song magic and the boss Intoner business is basically for show only. Or giving people a seizure. I cannot be certain how Taro Yoko rolls on that front.

Are you hiding yet, Zero? Arrrrreee yoooooooouuuu?! Because ready or not... here I cooooooooooome! Zeroooooo! Zerooooooo? ZeeeeeeroooooOOOOOOOOOOOO! Where aaaaaaaare yoooooooou, my siiiiiiiiiiiiiiSTER!? ZeeerOOOOOOOOOOO! Eee hee heee hee ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaAAAAaaaa ahahuuuuh!

Seriously, we're unclear about how Four and “The Flower” are related. But it is quite evident the chapter titular The Flower is an input reading jerk. :argh:

Simon saaays... rip your guts out! COME ON, DO IT!
Now, try and take me on!
...Ha! I didn't say Simon says! Get her! Tear her apart! TEEEEEEEAR HER APAAART!

She's bonkers! She'll make you bonkers too! Totally bonkers!
Stop saying bonkers already!

Hey! Lay off, Zero. Bonkers is a very fun word to say. It was like the third or fourth word my son learned. The first three were “Oh”, “No”, and “Poop”. Which all relate to this battle ending, if you ask me.

Music: Silence

<heavy panting>

<choke> No... Please, no!

B-But... how could... this happen... to... me... Ughh... Uhh...

So, Four. You've clearly not been paying attention to the previous two timelines when you got ganked off-screen, eh? Welp!

Don't worry. Your sisters will be joining you soon enough.

<To Mikhail> Hey. She's all yours.

Welp...

Everything is a bit more hosed in this timeline and we're actively endorsing the dragon devouring sisters policy from the get-go...

RIP Four. For good. Remember, this... Is. The. End. This is the final end path. You die here? You turn into a bird? Option insane three!? This is it for you from here on out!! Remember that! Four?! DEAD FOR GOOD! Got it?!

As for Mikhail, he has had his Intoner meal and is leve—wait what now?!

The evolution of a dragon...

<heavy pant>

<shriek>

Good gracious! He's evolved twice in one go!

Everything is ready now. …Michael.

And that concludes Verse 2 of this final act! But before we go...

Mikhail did indeed evolve to his Final Form. No Chaos or Angel alternate form like Drakengard 1 and 2. The three you see plus OG Michael is all you get.

And Zero's sword finally made it to its maximum level. Which, unless you've really been grinding out some weapons, probably makes it one of the strongest swords available at this point. Also we get the complete weapon history:

Zero's Blade posted:

Effective against Intoners. It levels up as your dragon grows.
Weapon Size: Medium

From the moment I was born, there was nothing. That's how I wound up with the name Zero.

I tried and failed to find value in my life. Even religion failed me, for I would have sooner fought and killed a god than pray to it.

I took lives and felt nothing. I killed without regret. Right? Wrong? Sin? Redemption? I couldn't even work up the energy to care.

Like a child, I waited and hoped. Hoped for the moment when this sad shell of a life would finally be over.

And that is Zero's default weapon's history. A bit of extremely angsty teenage journal entries. Don't worry, we've still got a Zero Short Story to hit up in the future that expands on these beats. Spoilers: Zero had an absolutely garbage early life and turned into an absolutely terrible person before even getting into the whole Intoner business.

Video: Four Boss Battle and Verse 2 Conclusion
(You should probably watch this.)

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 19, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, that was violent. The whole 'BE QUIET WORLD!' thing reminds me a bit of One's problems with her hearing, but considering there's insane magic songs going on all over the place in general, it might be a more general thing.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Welp, Zero's clearly playing with a stacked deck this time. I'm curious how this one's gonna go.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

Your clothes, your hair, your makeup... Eveeerything! Hee hee hee!
Not at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that never actually happened.
<off-kilter echo reverb> So now I'm going to imitate you again! If you're going to be an Intoner killer... then I'm going to be an Intoner killer too! Then the world will finally be quiet. Shhh... Not a peep from you, world. Eee hee hee!

Are those first and third line's supposed to be Four's portrait rather than Zero's? Seems like they should be.

Though if they ARE actually Zero's, that brings an interesting twist to this whole scene. :stonk:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Jesus gently caress the end of that mission :stare:

I eagerly await the rest of Branch D. :dance:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
One serving of Crazy Bonkers Four contains all the daily nutritional requirements a young growing dragon needs.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This in one of my favorite boss fights in the game because Four actually blocks and counters and stuff.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Remember how Four's Prologue that her Memories are all done within one second before she dies? I think this is pretty much where it all takes place.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I really liked that fight, solely because of Four going batshit insane. The fight's so easy at that point you have to actively not attack her if you want to hear everything.

On a side note: Oh god I really hope Yoko puts in some Rival bosses in Nier 2 for platinum to work with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You misspelt Michael at the end there TDI, which sort of makes it look like Zero is mushing the two dragon names together.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Aurain posted:

You misspelt Michael at the end there TDI, which sort of makes it look like Zero is mushing the two dragon names together.

I can't quite remember but I do think she said Michael in that cutscene intentionally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She did, I checked the video to double check that I was correct in seeing the typo. Micheal looks a bit like you mixed up Mikhail + Michael if you say it in your head so it's sorta confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I kinda wish Decadus would have said more here. It seems strange that he doesn't have more to say.

• Locked thread