Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g9XbyzKyAU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
lovely Kong Racing

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's even worse on 3DS, dude.

I think I own at least 4 copies of that game over multiple platforms.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

monster on a stick posted:

Game companies could upload the cinematics to YouTube and just open up a browser window instead of having you download them.

Isn't that literally what the cinematics in Quantum Break are? It would have been like 100+ GB with all the videos.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I do love this digital download age, but there are some downsides as mentioned here. It would be great to be able to run games off my ssd but these sizes are out of control. It's not like I can blame the game companies alone for it.

When you have a highly vocal user base that will poo poo your social media up if your game doesn't hit 60 FPS, I'm not surprised that uncompressed audio and textures are used.

I've got a blazing loving SSD that I can only use for pixel games :bang:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just keep your games on a HDD and use your phone to shitpost in the Steam thread while games are loading.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

So, when does Danganronpa get good?

I'm about two hours in and so far it has been fairly unremarkable with overlong cutscenes that over explain a fairly thin plot in between lovely dating game stuff. Should i keep going?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

spudsbuckley posted:

"It's anime, so never", I'd expect someone to say

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm about two hours in and so far it has been fairly unremarkable with overlong cutscenes that over explain a fairly thin plot in between lovely dating game stuff. Should i keep going?
It doesn't, it just gets worse.

Dangan Ronpa as a series is really bad.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Yeah, i just gave up. My guy said the exact same thing 4 different ways in 4 consecutive sentences. The whole loving thing is padding.

Yet another Goon recommendation that has me asking myself the question: "Why the gently caress do i listen to Goon recommendations?"

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

When you have a highly vocal user base that will poo poo your social media up if your game doesn't hit 60 FPS, I'm not surprised that uncompressed audio and textures are used.

Compressed textures are faster than uncompressed ones afaik, since uncompressing has less performance impact than memory swapping.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Today's game is another free one, a Half-life 2 mod in fact that holds up better than I expected.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
5. Haunt the House: Terrortown
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
8. Condemned: Criminal Origins
9. The Last Door: Season 2
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA
15. Alan Wake
16. Dark Fall 1: The Journal
17. Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
18. Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition
19. Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion
20. The Swapper
21. Monstrum
22. Serena

23. Cry of Fear

It's a shame modern games don't really have the kind of modding scenes older FPSes did. The Half-life games in particular spawned some quality mods and conversions across quite a few genres, horror included. Cry of Fear is just such a project, with so much work put in that it's barely recognizable as a Half-life 2 mod save for the familiar movement mechanics. And while it may have some rough edges, you might be surprised how spooky this one can get.

You play Simon, a hoodied inhabitant of Stockholm, on his way home for the night. Through a mysterious and sudden event, he finds himself roaming deserted streets and buildings while assailed by nightmarish figures. Using the few meager weapons you find, you'll have to battle through the countless monsters to reach whatever lies at the end of your journey.

In contrast with most first-person shooters, Cry of Fear has you fighting small handfuls of enemies with a very limited arsenal. During the first hour of the game, you'll have naught but a pocket knife and a weak pistol to guide you through. It's enough to overcome the mostly melee-focused monsters in your way, especially since you tend to encounter them one at a time. There's also a stamina bar used for dodging that's going to get a lot of use, because you're soon going to find there's only one good way to fight monsters in the cramped quarters of the game.

I give Cry of Fear credit for crafting environments that look very much like real places, but this is one of those times where realism eats into the actual fun. Real-world alleys and hallways are VERY narrow, cutting off a lot of tactical options. Most of your encounters are going to be in tight hallways where you can't get around or past your foe. This leaves you doing the old duck in, stab, duck out shuffle for virtually every creature you come across. It's not quite as easy as it sounds but it can get very tedious very quickly.

Despite the flat combat, the inhabitants of the game do a fine job of spooking you. There's a wide variety of horrors to battle, from eye-gouged murderers to spike-armed puppets and all the way to flying hospital bed monsters. They'll often come screaming at you from down a dark hallway or behind a door they just smashed down, and I had a few good jolts from them including the ones I kinda knew were coming. Cry of Fear's horror is very shock-centric, with herky-jerky creatures barreling out of the shadows and disembodied heads screaming at you in the cutscenes.

It's not just monster mashing, either. You'll come across a number of puzzles, each one more grounded than hunting crests and some of them actually being pretty clever setups, like hacking a PC cafe terminal for a padlock code. There are also keys, health syringes, and other important items to collect and keep in your mostly unnecessary inventory screen. This screen lets you assign items to your three paltry hotkeys and use things like keys on doors, but honestly the game would flow a lot better without it. The game would also flow better with less backtracking in some of the larger levels, like the nigh-endless apartment complex. I also have gripes with the monsters sometimes glitching out and doing no damage, and the bosses being pretty underwhelming and a bit sloggy.

Honestly though, I'm prepared to forgive all that for the excellent atmosphere and craftsmanship that went into this game. What you're getting is like a looser, less-polished Condemned, right down to the melee focus and decrepit setting. The dark, cramped, detailed levels establish a very grimy, oppressive feel that lends terror to the already freaky enemies. The soundtrack takes cues from Silent Hill in the best ways, going for grinding, pounding songs and effects when the action peaks. It's a long, long game as well, so if you're digging the grunge feel and stabby combat, there'll be plenty of it, and that's not even touching the custom story and co-op support. Cry of Fear trips on a few fronts but still clears the bar for an excellent horror game, thanks to some choice atmosphere and amount of content.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yo has anyone played "Feel the Snow" ? I probably wouldn't be that interested in it, but I just watched the trailer and the music is super chill and good.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Too Shy Guy posted:

Cry of Fear is just such a project, with so much work put in that it's barely recognizable as a Half-life 2 mod

probably because it's a half-life 1 mod :v:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Drifter posted:

I went in not knowing anything about the game. I'm not really a fan of the TV show, and the last GoT book I read was like 11 years ago. The writing was messy, and the general mood of the game was just tryhard. I'd've been hard pressed to recommend it based on those criteria. But the way it ended was just the poo poo in a poo poo sandwich.

There was a really good GoT game made by Spiders(or their partner studio or whatever) and that was well written, had an entertaining storyline, was (that I recall) surprisingly well voice acted, and had a neat combat dynamic. I guess it was jsut called, Game of Thrones: The RPG or something. THAT'S the GoT game to play, if you want to play a GoT game (or just a decent 3parpg).

A couple pages old, but the best Games of Thrones game by far is Crusader Kings 2, the GoT mod isn't even necessary.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ShadowMar posted:

probably because it's a half-life 1 mod :v:
Beat me to it. I really didn't like COF, too much of a chore to actually play. Plus I thought most of the monsters were more goofy than scary. Which is a shame, because Afraid of Monsters is legitimately unnerving, in part because it's also much more limited.

Real impressive what they did with the Goldsrc engine, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

gohuskies posted:

A couple pages old, but the best Games of Thrones game by far is Crusader Kings 2, the GoT mod isn't even necessary.

Yeah but it's pretty niche...number of people who know how to loving play CK2 is pretty low. :laugh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

If gamers cared about storage space, they should uninstall old games

WOAH WHAT BUT MY BACKLOAG

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yeah, Cry of Fear is a Half Life 1 (GoldSrc) mod, which is even more impressive, given the resulting visuals. I was following the project on ModDB, but then other stuff happened I guess, and I missed its release.

It's good to know that it can stand on its own as a decent horror game.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a response time from Steam Support? I can't get into my email to get the verification code, because I forgot that I'd change my password for my email, and I can't get back in

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Really, the fat sizes are a problem for people that have to download that in terrible areas of the world since they must deal with data caps and/or Sanic speeds.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I remember on my old at&t connection, it took about 53 hours to download Wolfenstein TNO back then. What a nightmare that was.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Willo567 posted:

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a response time from Steam Support? I can't get into my email to get the verification code, because I forgot that I'd change my password for my email, and I can't get back in
Few days to 4 weeks. I'd expect to wait a week at least.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mordja posted:

Beat me to it. I really didn't like COF, too much of a chore to actually play. Plus I thought most of the monsters were more goofy than scary. Which is a shame, because Afraid of Monsters is legitimately unnerving, in part because it's also much more limited.

Real impressive what they did with the Goldsrc engine, though.

I agree that they look goofy, but the spastic ways they come at you still unnerve me pretty bad. Coupled with the super dark environments I thought they were plenty scary, but it's very much a ymmv thing.

That is bonkers that it's a HL1 mod, though. Like, holy poo poo. I guess I should have noticed that nothing was physics-enabled.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

SinineSiil posted:

Few days to 4 weeks. I'd expect to wait a week at least.

Thank you. I heard some people have waited as long as three months; is this true, or bullshit

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

PREVIOUSLY...

Day 1: 100% Orange Juice
Day 2: Akiba's Trip
Day 3: Recettear
Day 4: Agarest: Generations of War
Day 5: Dragonball Xenoverse

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Somehow, just somehow I have the sense that this review isn't being entirely truthful with us. Or perhaps they're using a different definition of the words well-developed. :crossarms:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Willo567 posted:

Thank you. I heard some people have waited as long as three months; is this true, or bullshit

I waited 4 months once. Didn't tell about it because it seemed very out of ordinary even for Steam support.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Too Shy Guy posted:

Today's game is another free one, a Half-life 2 mod in fact that holds up better than I expected.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
5. Haunt the House: Terrortown
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
8. Condemned: Criminal Origins
9. The Last Door: Season 2
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA
15. Alan Wake
16. Dark Fall 1: The Journal
17. Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
18. Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition
19. Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion
20. The Swapper
21. Monstrum
22. Serena

23. Cry of Fear

It's a shame modern games don't really have the kind of modding scenes older FPSes did. The Half-life games in particular spawned some quality mods and conversions across quite a few genres, horror included. Cry of Fear is just such a project, with so much work put in that it's barely recognizable as a Half-life 2 mod save for the familiar movement mechanics. And while it may have some rough edges, you might be surprised how spooky this one can get.

You play Simon, a hoodied inhabitant of Stockholm, on his way home for the night. Through a mysterious and sudden event, he finds himself roaming deserted streets and buildings while assailed by nightmarish figures. Using the few meager weapons you find, you'll have to battle through the countless monsters to reach whatever lies at the end of your journey.

In contrast with most first-person shooters, Cry of Fear has you fighting small handfuls of enemies with a very limited arsenal. During the first hour of the game, you'll have naught but a pocket knife and a weak pistol to guide you through. It's enough to overcome the mostly melee-focused monsters in your way, especially since you tend to encounter them one at a time. There's also a stamina bar used for dodging that's going to get a lot of use, because you're soon going to find there's only one good way to fight monsters in the cramped quarters of the game.

I give Cry of Fear credit for crafting environments that look very much like real places, but this is one of those times where realism eats into the actual fun. Real-world alleys and hallways are VERY narrow, cutting off a lot of tactical options. Most of your encounters are going to be in tight hallways where you can't get around or past your foe. This leaves you doing the old duck in, stab, duck out shuffle for virtually every creature you come across. It's not quite as easy as it sounds but it can get very tedious very quickly.

Despite the flat combat, the inhabitants of the game do a fine job of spooking you. There's a wide variety of horrors to battle, from eye-gouged murderers to spike-armed puppets and all the way to flying hospital bed monsters. They'll often come screaming at you from down a dark hallway or behind a door they just smashed down, and I had a few good jolts from them including the ones I kinda knew were coming. Cry of Fear's horror is very shock-centric, with herky-jerky creatures barreling out of the shadows and disembodied heads screaming at you in the cutscenes.

It's not just monster mashing, either. You'll come across a number of puzzles, each one more grounded than hunting crests and some of them actually being pretty clever setups, like hacking a PC cafe terminal for a padlock code. There are also keys, health syringes, and other important items to collect and keep in your mostly unnecessary inventory screen. This screen lets you assign items to your three paltry hotkeys and use things like keys on doors, but honestly the game would flow a lot better without it. The game would also flow better with less backtracking in some of the larger levels, like the nigh-endless apartment complex. I also have gripes with the monsters sometimes glitching out and doing no damage, and the bosses being pretty underwhelming and a bit sloggy.

Honestly though, I'm prepared to forgive all that for the excellent atmosphere and craftsmanship that went into this game. What you're getting is like a looser, less-polished Condemned, right down to the melee focus and decrepit setting. The dark, cramped, detailed levels establish a very grimy, oppressive feel that lends terror to the already freaky enemies. The soundtrack takes cues from Silent Hill in the best ways, going for grinding, pounding songs and effects when the action peaks. It's a long, long game as well, so if you're digging the grunge feel and stabby combat, there'll be plenty of it, and that's not even touching the custom story and co-op support. Cry of Fear trips on a few fronts but still clears the bar for an excellent horror game, thanks to some choice atmosphere and amount of content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9D_sTen85I

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

spudsbuckley posted:

Yet another Goon recommendation that has me asking myself the question: "Why the gently caress do i listen to Goon recommendations?"

The Dangan Ronpa thread was a laughingstock to most of the forums, maybe you just aren't listening to the right Goons.

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

The Lone Badger posted:

Why might the steam browser cease functioning for me? I can still use the Library tab, but the Store tab (and trying to view DLC/achievements/etc from the Library tab) just has a black screen that loads forever.

This happens to me a bit, dunno why.

To get it working again, try opening task manager and killing any Steam Client Webhelper processes you can see. Or just restart Steam, if you don't want to mess around in task manager.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, i just gave up. My guy said the exact same thing 4 different ways in 4 consecutive sentences. The whole loving thing is padding.

General rule of thumb is to ignore all goon recommendations for anime games unless they come from Freak Futanari.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Furnaceface posted:

General rule of thumb is to ignore all goon recommendations for anime games unless they come from Freak Futanari.

Freak for President 2020.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

spudsbuckley posted:

If you've played the first hours of it but are giving up, do yourself a favor and look up the twists in the rest of the game.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Drifter posted:

Freak for President 2020.

I never would have discovered the Nep Nep and my life would have been meaningless if it wasnt for FF.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hop God Eaters is on the list because its the most anime thing I've played this year.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i've only contacted steam support once, but i'm still waiting for a reply. only been 2-3 years so far.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

I hop God Eaters is on the list because its the most anime thing I've played this year.

I only have games i've played on the list, and God Eater is too expensive

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

I only have games i've played on the list, and God Eater is too expensive

your loss

(buying ge2 gives you ge1 along with it, so I dont know why they dont emphasize that it's a double pack)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You losers are still using Steam? I only play games that run in a browser, such as Command and Conquer: Tiberian Drawn

• Locked thread