Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
The plugs are generic, however I don't know if the PCIe cable needs to be in the PCIe spot on the PSU, vs the CPU power which might look exactly the same. I don't know if it matters, but the slot layout might be different between the two. But yes it should just plug and play (but if it doesn't actually help you might as well replace the cables too to rule it out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pivo posted:

In the mean time you can stop turning off your computer ;-)

I'm afraid to leave the computer on in case it explodes and burns my house down.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Do you have any bulging or blown capacitors on the motherboard? It's less likely with modern solid caps vs. electrolytic caps, but bad caps are known to cause problems with powering up PCs.

Look for these:
or these:

If you have any of this going on, your options are to replace the board or replace the damaged caps. A new PSU wouldn't help you in that case.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

cisco privilege posted:

Do you have any bulging or blown capacitors on the motherboard? It's less likely with modern solid caps vs. electrolytic caps, but bad caps are known to cause problems with powering up PCs.

Look for these:
or these:

If you have any of this going on, your options are to replace the board or replace the damaged caps. A new PSU wouldn't help you in that case.

Nope, they're all fine, just checked. Would the battery on the mobo have anything to do with it?

The whole thing is making no sense to me.

Oh yeah, earlier I tried to start the machine by disconnecting the power button cable from the motherboard and just bridging the pins with a screwdriver, which did nothing.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Nope, they're all fine, just checked. Would the battery on the mobo have anything to do with it?

The whole thing is making no sense to me.

Oh yeah, earlier I tried to start the machine by disconnecting the power button cable from the motherboard and just bridging the pins with a screwdriver, which did nothing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302360-31-computer-turns-split-shuts

This is the exact problem I had, and sounds like yours too. Unfortunately it is a more or less detailed explanation to simply try a new PSU first, but there is a lot of good info there on how to test your PSU with a volt meter and troubleshooting link that mostly won't apply, but could.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ignoarints posted:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302360-31-computer-turns-split-shuts

This is the exact problem I had, and sounds like yours too. Unfortunately it is a more or less detailed explanation to simply try a new PSU first, but there is a lot of good info there on how to test your PSU with a volt meter and troubleshooting link that mostly won't apply, but could.

A CMOS battery - is that just a standard CR2032 battery?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-CR...ds=cmos+battery

Cause I'd be delighted if I could spend £3 instead of £70 and fix it tonight.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Almost always but I'd look at it or look it up.

Also the info about shorting on the case is a nice thing to try as well, and would make sense. And free to try if you have cardboard

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Every time I've built a computer past the first one, I put electrical tape over the mobo standoffs before doing anything else. gently caress having to take all that poo poo out later if there ends up being a short.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Well, it's not the CMOS battery, just fired in a new one and getting the same poo poo.

Ignoarints posted:

Almost always but I'd look at it or look it up.

Also the info about shorting on the case is a nice thing to try as well, and would make sense. And free to try if you have cardboard

If there was something in the case(es) shorting, would it not stop it working altogether? It just seems to be the initial turn on that's giving me grief, when I restart it works fine.

It's going to end up being the motherboard, I can feel it in my bones :smithicide:

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 23, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Back off the screws and slide some cardboard under the mobo

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Thick cardboard in the wrong place risks warping the board if it's on the thin side.
I'd test it outside of the case to rule out grounding issue which can cause intermittent power issues, but I would be really wary placing anything underneath the board itself. Also WattsvilleBlues you'll want to make sure that you don't have a case standoff in the wrong position or something since it could be touching the board. This requires taking the board out, but you really should be doing that anyways to test it outside of the case anyways.

If the motherboard backplane is somehow touching the board itself the case is hosed up and should just be replaced (IIRC it's already been swapped out but it's worth checking the standoffs at least).

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 24, 2014

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

cisco privilege posted:

Thick cardboard in the wrong place risks warping the board if it's on the thin side.
I'd test it outside of the case to rule out grounding issue which can cause intermittent power issues, but I would be really wary placing anything underneath the board itself. Also WattsvilleBlues you'll want to make sure that you don't have a case standoff in the wrong position or something since it could be touching the board. This requires taking the board out, but you really should be doing that anyways to test it outside of the case anyways.

If the motherboard backplane is somehow touching the board itself the case is hosed up and should just be replaced (IIRC it's already been swapped out but it's worth checking the standoffs at least).

I've got a new PSU coming on Friday, I'll shove that thing in and then move the build outside the case if it's still fooked at that stage. My standoffs are all in the right position, though the new ones that came with the case didn't fit the screws that came with the case too. loving computers, man.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I built my machine 2 years ago based on advice from you goons. It's developed a problem where it won't turn on most of the time - I thought it was the case (Fractal Design R3), since that was the only component that had given me any hassle (power LED light connections that attach to the motherboard broke early on in the system's life). Thinking it was the power button, I got a Fractal Design R4 and transplanted everything today.

Problem remains. The only way I can get it to start most of the time right now is to turn the PSU on and off on the unit itself and pray to the electricity gods, but it usually takes upwards of a dozen flicks of the on/off switch. It's a Seasonic SS-560KM Modular.

I'm guessing the only likely culprits are the PSU or the motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V LX)?
Just out of curiosity: is there a reason you hopped to looking to buy a new PSU when you have one that comes with a five year warranty that is only two years old? If you posted this to Seasonic support (going by experience with my Corsair PSU issues), they might just tell you to RMA even if it might not be the problem. I guess this could've bit you a little in shipping costs if it's not the problem, but was a cheaper option if it was (and, theoretically, you should've been good for another five years assuming you don't get unlucky again; Seasonic's PSU reputation suggests you wouldn't).

Heck, at two years the MB should also be under warranty still too. :raise:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bUm posted:

Just out of curiosity: is there a reason you hopped to looking to buy a new PSU when you have one that comes with a five year warranty that is only two years old? If you posted this to Seasonic support (going by experience with my Corsair PSU issues), they might just tell you to RMA even if it might not be the problem. I guess this could've bit you a little in shipping costs if it's not the problem, but was a cheaper option if it was (and, theoretically, you should've been good for another five years assuming you don't get unlucky again; Seasonic's PSU reputation suggests you wouldn't).

Heck, at two years the MB should also be under warranty still too. :raise:

I'll look at RMAing the PSU if it turns out that the new one sorts me out, then I can sell the replacement I get. Impatience is my only excuse.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Well as long as youre honest lol

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
This a good benchmark for my system? http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8264665

And if this means gently caress all what are better ways to benchmark?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

This a good benchmark for my system? http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8264665

And if this means gently caress all what are better ways to benchmark?

I dont know. The graph there lets you see others with similar hardware (supposedly, some are bound to be bullshit) but you can get an idea. Do you have an overclock? The score seems to be slightly lower than average

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I looked more into it and turns out most of the top scores are OCing their graphics cards by like double regular output.

I'm guessing I'm getting at least what I should be getting to an actually very good reading. Something screwing is going on with my hardware or I'm just crazy. Which I am, certified and more evidence to the fact that my computer is running just fine points in the latter circumstance... I may actually be hallucinating graphical glitches.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 25, 2014

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

I looked more into it and turns out most of the top scores are OCing their graphics cards by like double regular output.

I'm guessing I'm getting at least what I should be getting to an actually very good reading. Something screwing is going on with my hardware or I'm just crazy. Which I am, certified and more evidence to the fact that my computer is running just fine points in the latter circumstance... I may actually be hallucinating graphical glitches.

NeoSeeker, it is possible that your system is working *slightly* behind par. However, not all benchmark runs are created equal so I wouldn't worry too much.

TL;DR The hardware in your system is hardware that people interested in overclocking within the "mid-range" are currently using. Your system is probably fine. Also, please don't compare all of the scores directly as I was using a different version/test of 3dmark. I was using them more for the fancy graphs.

:words:

Take my pc (gtx770 & 1090t) for example. This was done just after a fresh install of windows. (post updates etc...) I was also using 3dmark/first strike 1.1 test so don't compare this result directly with yours as you were using 3dmark11.

And then look at my friend's pc (gtx760 & fx6300). This benchmark was done on new hardware using the existing version of windows on the hard drive from his old build. We had just stripped back down to be "like new". Again, this was a 3dmark/fs 1.1 test.

Now look at your pc (gtx760 & i5-4670k). The graph does shows you behind similar systems although it's not by much. I'd be curious to see what the 3dmark/fs 1.1 scores look like.

So let's break it down a bit.
  • One could have a semi-rare hardware configuration and there are not that many people benchmarking similar systems resulting in fewer data points and possibly less telling results.
  • Something in the environment could be holding the results back. (software/hardware)
  • You happened to get a popular hardware configuration that people like to overclock with.

The first point is what you'll see when you look at my pc, the second is more representative of my friends setup, and the third is most likely the situation you're in. The 760's are very capable overclockers and you happen to have a "k" model processor (unlocked multiplier). On that third point, a higher percentage of systems running the benchmark will have some level of overclocking done on them and thus your score compared to similar systems seems lower than it should be.

e. For the record I had bumped my cpu clock up from something around 3.2 GHz to 3.77 GHz and left the graphics card at stock. My friend had all of his hardware at stock clocks. Also, I don't have enough graphs and data :eng99: from these computers at stock clocks versus when I have them overclocked to really show what I'm getting at but I hope it's at least somewhat visible.

Edgy Bees fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 25, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I've never done 3d mark before and I downloaded the "basic edition" one and got over 20,000 as a score with one lightly overclocked 770 (4670k @ 4.5). Which seems impossible because the highest score ever for a 4670k with any GPU is 17000 something. I was never big into benchmarks but I'd like to find a nice one to compare before and after for various settings.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013
The 3dmark benchmark can be done for free. Just pick up the demo, run the benchmark, and put the resulting url to your score somewhere you'll remember it for later.

The 3dmark demo can be picked up on Steam. Or you can grab it from the 3dmark website. 3DMark Basic Edition

You *do not need* the advanced or professional editions to get your scores and share links to them.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Ignoarints posted:

I've never done 3d mark before and I downloaded the "basic edition" one and got over 20,000 as a score with one lightly overclocked 770 (4670k @ 4.5). Which seems impossible because the highest score ever for a 4670k with any GPU is 17000 something. I was never big into benchmarks but I'd like to find a nice one to compare before and after for various settings.

Make sure if you're comparing scores that they are coming from the same version & test. As of right now, the "go to" 3dmark scores are from the First Strike test. Scores from old tests won't be able to use your hardware to its fullest and in turn won't mean as much when comparing new hardware.

Also, if you're really interested in this sort of thing don't just use one benchmark. Different tests do different things. Some here may argue that 3dmark isn't that great of a test to begin with. I just like it because it's an easy baseline & a lot of people use it.

quote:

Fire Strike is a showcase DirectX 11 benchmark designed for today's high-performance gaming PCs. It is our most ambitious and technical benchmark ever, featuring real-time graphics rendered with detail and complexity far beyond what is found in other benchmarks and games today.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Would the demo's final score be good enough for a baseline? I'm guessing fire strike is not in the demo.

Nevermind. Someone took a look at a current DXdiag and spotted possible driver problems. Which made me remember I did not install my drivers in safe mode in the first place...

I could post it here. I forgot what tags to use for text in a post to make a GIANT block of text only appear if you click on it.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 25, 2014

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

Would the demo's final score be good enough for a baseline? I'm guessing fire strike is not in the demo.

Fire Strike is in the demo. You just need to let 3dmark run through all of the other (older) tests first. It takes some time, but hey, it's free. It takes somewhere around 15 minutes to run the full thing, which is the only option with the demo anyway. Personally, I think it's good enough for a baseline of modern systems intended for use with graphically intense applications. Although, if you generally stick to using your PC for a single task, or even a single game for that matter, a more targeted test would help you to optimize for whatever that happens to be. Having said that, there is no need to overclock your GPU if you're application is CPU bound or vice versa.

In my case, I found out that the memory controller on the 1090t was the limiting factor in my overclock. That particular chip didn't want to go over 3.7-3.8 GHz with 4 DIMMs. So it came down to running various tests to see if I would be better off with a higher clock and less memory or less clock and more memory. I ended up opting for the 3.8 GHz clock with 16 GB of RAM (4x4) because for what I was doing the system seemed to "free itself" after I got anywhere over 3600MHz on *all* cores instead of just half of them with turbo-boost. (1090t had turbo-boost on 3/6 cores or something that ended up being fairly worthless for me). And by free itself, I mean that the gain from increasing the CPU clock became less of a factor at that point than increasing my GPU clock. So I just rocked it back and forth until I find a good equilibrium of speed and heat I could live with.

Edgy Bees fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 25, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

NeoSeeker posted:

Which made me remember I did not install my drivers in safe mode in the first place...
Do people actually do this? I haven't used safe mode for driver installs since XP.

quote:

I could post it here. I forgot what tags to use for text in a post to make a GIANT block of text only appear if you click on it.

HTML [Code] tags would do that, or you can list in on Pastebin.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

Do people actually do this? I haven't used safe mode for driver installs since XP.

:what: I hope not.

Although, I'm now interested to see if anyone says otherwise.

e. And I may as well ask what was the logic behind that in the fist place?

Edgy Bees fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 25, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

cisco privilege posted:

HTML [Code] tags would do that, or you can list in on Pastebin.

before: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8266803
after: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8264665

Here's a new DXdiag with the fresh drivers:

http://pastebin.com/JRfDc7Fq

Everything seems to be running smoother now. The game I was having the most trouble with now is fully functional. And it's a performance hog with a 7 year old engine with giant battles. X3 Albion Prelude. The fights that go on give me a nerd boner.

Jesus christ the improvement is phenomenal. My machine is running better than when I first turned it on. I never knew fresh driver installs could actually make a difference.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 25, 2014

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Did you use a safe-mode install here? If so, did it help or hurt you? It looks like you used Nvidia 9.18.13.3523 for both runs. Also, if the before & after is correct, a minus 152 point difference is interesting considering nothing changed as far as I can tell and you're seeing a noticeable improvement with the 'after' report.

:iiam:

Although I will say that if you have any piece of hardware that is of the most recent generation, you will likely benefit significantly from driver updates (& firmware depending on what it is). This is especially true with graphics cards.

Edgy Bees fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 25, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Are you talking about direct x drivers?

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Ignoarints posted:

Are you talking about direct x drivers?

Not sure who this is directed at but I am referring to the Nvidia Drivers & Software.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Hum. Weird since they were the same drivers. Nice though. I feel like there's been like 3 or 4 driver updates from nvidia this year alone so yours got messed up somehow really quickly

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah I think using the Nvidia installer fucks with it because there were already two or three driver updates this year.
I did get a noticeable performance boost so something must have been going wrong with the drivers.

In other words, yes, I guess installing in safe mode actually helps. I'm doing fresh installs manually every driver update now.

Case in point my computer started getting screwy a month or two ago. Now with this fresh install the screwiness is gone.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Oh well yeah I always update manually I guess (although not in safe mode) and I check "clean installation" - for what its all worth.

Edit: wrong thread lol

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 26, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey guys -- trying to modify my computer for the first time in ever; ran into an issue; thought this was a good place to ask.

Basically in 2010 I spent my second Grown-Up Paycheck ever on an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z, and this week it came to my attention that 4 years is a long time and it runs newer games like rear end. I decided to pick up a new graphics card, but discovered while shopping around for that that my wimpy 300-watt power supply wasn't gonna be enough to juice up basically anything worth dropping money on. So I also bought a new power supply. The new power supply is somewhat bigger than my old one, but still fits inside the case.

Long story short, I successfully switched out the power supply (by plugging it in to all the places the old one was plugged into and screwing it to the side of the case) and the computer now boots up to Windows and everything without lighting on fire or exploding or any of the other things I was afraid would happen, but whenever it's powered on it makes a loud noise until I turn it off again. Not, like a grinding noise or a loud whirring noise or any other noise you'd expect to come out of a computer that had recently been worked on by someone who had no idea what he was doing, but like... a laser continuously being fired. Like a tractor beam. My girlfriend said it sounded like she was being abducted by aliens.

Did I get a bad power supply and I should get a refund/exchange, or could this be related to the thing being bigger than the old one and vibrating against the case in a way it wasn't before, or is there something obvious I forgot to do?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I've never heard a laser to make a sound so I don't know what you're talking about, maybe you could upload a short video somewhere. Have the case open so we can hear well.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

loquacius posted:

Hey guys -- trying to modify my computer for the first time in ever; ran into an issue; thought this was a good place to ask.

Basically in 2010 I spent my second Grown-Up Paycheck ever on an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300z, and this week it came to my attention that 4 years is a long time and it runs newer games like rear end. I decided to pick up a new graphics card, but discovered while shopping around for that that my wimpy 300-watt power supply wasn't gonna be enough to juice up basically anything worth dropping money on. So I also bought a new power supply. The new power supply is somewhat bigger than my old one, but still fits inside the case.

Long story short, I successfully switched out the power supply (by plugging it in to all the places the old one was plugged into and screwing it to the side of the case) and the computer now boots up to Windows and everything without lighting on fire or exploding or any of the other things I was afraid would happen, but whenever it's powered on it makes a loud noise until I turn it off again. Not, like a grinding noise or a loud whirring noise or any other noise you'd expect to come out of a computer that had recently been worked on by someone who had no idea what he was doing, but like... a laser continuously being fired. Like a tractor beam. My girlfriend said it sounded like she was being abducted by aliens.

Did I get a bad power supply and I should get a refund/exchange, or could this be related to the thing being bigger than the old one and vibrating against the case in a way it wasn't before, or is there something obvious I forgot to do?

What kind of video card did you get? Did you hook up the power connectors on the card?

Some of them have a low-power alarm that sounds when they don't get enough power over the PCI express power connector.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I didn't put in the new graphics card yet; trying to take it one step at a time, so when problems come up I can more easily tell what caused them (for all the good that appears to have done so far). I've got a friend coming over in a little bit to take a look at it; I'll try taking a video when he gets here if he can't figure it out.

e: Now that you mention it, though, it's possible that the power supply isn't hooked up to the old graphics card properly and it's making the noise. This bears investigation too.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Put your head inside and see where the sound is coming from. I'm assuming you mean like... movie laser noises or something, but still that isn't a normal sound for a computer to make.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Okay, false alarm, guys. We turned the PC back on and the noise was much quieter than before, and then when we tried turning it on with the case open to see where it was coming from there wasn't anything at all. Our hypothesis was that it was a cable being pushed up against a fan and being struck by the blades in a really weird way. Tucking everything away more firmly seems to have addressed the problem; the graphics card is even hooked up now and everything. Just wanted to open the question to the Internet in case we couldn't figure it out ourselves. Thanks for your help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if there's a simple way to hook my Wii U up to my computer monitor and sound without buying many extras. I have a 660ti graphics card with HDMI and a Dell U2410 (also has HDMI). My speakers are M-Audio AV40s. I didn't know if I should post this question here or in IYG, but I figured I'd start here.

• Locked thread