Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos

augias posted:

so getting two doses does make me twice as immune? hot diggity dog!

3 times as immune! B-cells and T-cells hate this trick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
extremely good read thread here, with extremely not good news like this:

https://twitter.com/dianaberrent/status/1418234734078005251

if that holds to the general population, or even just a fraction like 20% of symptomatic breakthroughs still get long covid.... YIKES

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol no poo poo

this isn't even a new problem. ever since vaccines were invented, you've had chunks of the population resistant to them. if you're in the midst of a highly contagious pandemic, any successful vaccine drive has to vaccinate those people too, and if you have no plan to compel that, failure is inevitable. doubly so when the vaccine in question doesn't confer sterilizing immunity

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tzen posted:

lol could get more vaccinations by doing a PR campaign with MrBeast giving out jabs and wads of cash like the entire 18-34 pop would be slut juiced up in no time

I wonder if Asmongold and the OK Boomer girl have gotten vaxxed

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

I was trying to explain to a friend last night how the mask guidelines from OSHA and the CDC guidance were in conflict, and how the CDC guideline to not wear masks were released at the perfect time to gently caress over the OSHA draft guidelines. This was all based on some excellent posts earlier by DarkEuphoria and Lansdowne at the end of June, but I couldn’t find the posts and the info wasn’t really organized in my head. I went ahead and found the posts today, and spliced them together in time to more easily explain how things went down starting at the end of April. I thought this would be useful to have for a quick link, and if you haven’t seen their posts I would definitely go and read them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3926175&pagenumber=6162&perpage=40#post515845869
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3926175&pagenumber=6166&perpage=40#post515856329
All credit for this goes to them, I just wanted to organize it temporally, and it is kind of funny to go back and re-read this thread to see how the pessimistic posts usually wind up being the accurate ones.

April 26
OMB’s OIRA receives updated OSHA ETS (Emergency Temporary Standard – emergency regulations for workers) draft. OMB review expected to end May 10th. [DarkEuphoria, Politico]. This draft includes “grave danger” language and protections for all workers [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]. Note that this draft is created and reported on, but not made public.

April 29
Industry groups being weighing in on OSHA rules. At least 9 meetings scheduled through May 5th [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

May 7
Talks with industry groups (and OMB-OIRA deadline) extended until May 13th. Narrative of OSHA being slow, vaccinations making regulation unnecessary begins to show up [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

May 10
Minutes from OMB-OIRA meetings include letter from May 3 from Senators Marshall (R-KS), Burr (R-NC), and Scott (R-SC) discussing how additional regulations are not needed, and that OSHA should follow latest CDC guidance, and anyways it is too late for a new ETS to help (lol). [DarkEuphoria,Letter]

May 11
More manufacturing consent with color commentary:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

May 11, 2021 18:50
loving hell world

Tzen posted:

May 11, 2021 19:51
lol the manufactured consent push continues
wonder if CDC will cave tomorrow or by friday

May 13
CDC goes mask off. More letters from the OMB-OIRA agenda show dental industry groups fighting against masks [DarkEuphoria].

May 14
Almost immediately, articles start coming out showing the conflict between OSHA rules and CDC guidelines [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]. Also, the OMB-OIRA review still isn’t done.

May 17
OSHA says to follow CDC guidelines until further review is finished [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

May 20
Major pushback on OSHA’s ability to regulate since they must prove Covid is a “grave danger” and give “due regards” to CDC recommendations [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]. Doubts starting to appear publicly that a standard will come at all.

May 24
Letter from Republican members of House Committee on Education and Labor send a letter stating that CDC says covid is over so OSHA can’t issue ETS [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]

May 26
OMB-OIRA deadline pushed back to May 28th; pushback on rules continues from lobbyists. Threats of lawsuits if OSHA requires anything significant [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

June 10
OSHA rules finally released. We are also finally told that OSHA emergency rules don’t require “public input” at all, but in fact the “White House regulatory office chose to solicit opinion from a wide range of advocacy groups.” It also includes a 900-page preamble justifying why “grave danger” is only for healthcare workers [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

June 28
Draft from April released allowing us to see what was in the original proposal, and that it covered all workers and not just healthcare [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Please don't be a dipshit and encourage worried goons to give fraudulent social security numbers to CVS to get another set of shots just a month after being fully vaccinated when there is no evidence that it will take them above the standard ~90% efficacy rate and hasn't been studied for potential side-effects. Especially, when you don't know that person's specific medical history.

It will most likely not harm you, but it could have adverse side effects and won't be any significant benefit. Just wait for a proper booster.

There is also a small chance of having an issue:

Don't tell goons to do potentially risky things when you don't even know their medical history. That should not be a controversial take.

They should just get their doctor to prescribe them a low dose of ivermectin

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Remember when the overwhelming thread consensus was to double-diap to prevent aerosol plumes and everyone nixed the kids' Christmas presents to import pallets of Madagascan herbal cure? Crazy C-SPAM.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I was trying to explain to a friend last night how the mask guidelines from OSHA and the CDC guidance were in conflict, and how the CDC guideline to not wear masks were released at the perfect time to gently caress over the OSHA draft guidelines. This was all based on some excellent posts earlier by DarkEuphoria and Lansdowne at the end of June, but I couldn’t find the posts and the info wasn’t really organized in my head. I went ahead and found the posts today, and spliced them together in time to more easily explain how things went down starting at the end of April. I thought this would be useful to have for a quick link, and if you haven’t seen their posts I would definitely go and read them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3926175&pagenumber=6162&perpage=40#post515845869
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3926175&pagenumber=6166&perpage=40#post515856329
All credit for this goes to them, I just wanted to organize it temporally, and it is kind of funny to go back and re-read this thread to see how the pessimistic posts usually wind up being the accurate ones.

April 26
OMB’s OIRA receives updated OSHA ETS (Emergency Temporary Standard – emergency regulations for workers) draft. OMB review expected to end May 10th. [DarkEuphoria, Politico]. This draft includes “grave danger” language and protections for all workers [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]. Note that this draft is created and reported on, but not made public.

April 29
Industry groups being weighing in on OSHA rules. At least 9 meetings scheduled through May 5th [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

May 7
Talks with industry groups (and OMB-OIRA deadline) extended until May 13th. Narrative of OSHA being slow, vaccinations making regulation unnecessary begins to show up [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

May 10
Minutes from OMB-OIRA meetings include letter from May 3 from Senators Marshall (R-KS), Burr (R-NC), and Scott (R-SC) discussing how additional regulations are not needed, and that OSHA should follow latest CDC guidance, and anyways it is too late for a new ETS to help (lol). [DarkEuphoria,Letter]

May 11
More manufacturing consent with color commentary:

May 13
CDC goes mask off. More letters from the OMB-OIRA agenda show dental industry groups fighting against masks [DarkEuphoria].

May 14
Almost immediately, articles start coming out showing the conflict between OSHA rules and CDC guidelines [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]. Also, the OMB-OIRA review still isn’t done.

May 17
OSHA says to follow CDC guidelines until further review is finished [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

May 20
Major pushback on OSHA’s ability to regulate since they must prove Covid is a “grave danger” and give “due regards” to CDC recommendations [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]. Doubts starting to appear publicly that a standard will come at all.

May 24
Letter from Republican members of House Committee on Education and Labor send a letter stating that CDC says covid is over so OSHA can’t issue ETS [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law]

May 26
OMB-OIRA deadline pushed back to May 28th; pushback on rules continues from lobbyists. Threats of lawsuits if OSHA requires anything significant [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

June 10
OSHA rules finally released. We are also finally told that OSHA emergency rules don’t require “public input” at all, but in fact the “White House regulatory office chose to solicit opinion from a wide range of advocacy groups.” It also includes a 900-page preamble justifying why “grave danger” is only for healthcare workers [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

June 28
Draft from April released allowing us to see what was in the original proposal, and that it covered all workers and not just healthcare [Lansdowne, Bloomberg Law].

openb iden

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

lol, just remembered current guidelines don't require vaccinated people to quarantine after exposure to a confirmed case

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spoondick posted:

lol, just remembered current guidelines don't require vaccinated people to quarantine after exposure to a confirmed case

One of the amazing examples of the CDC telling people they don't need to do something that they probably should.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lamo this guy

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1418268478356791298?s=21

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Spoondick posted:

they don't even need to get tested if they aren't showing symptoms!

we have no idea how bad breakthroughs really are because of this bullshit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1418256770305335299

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Step 1 is to refuse to acknowledge that breakthroughs exist. Step 2 is that when they do happen you pretend like you never did step 1 and that the people calling you a dumbass at that step think that the vaccines are sugar water.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Don't waste your time reading this article, the url tells the complete story:

https://www.chron.com/news/article/White-House-officials-debate-masking-push-as-16330915.php

toothpaste.jpg

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

This is a good idea only if testing is done by the league and not the individual teams.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

as it turned out, they were not "ready for some football"

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Summer Sturgis brings Winter Surges

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I posted last week about being exposed to a breakthrough case at work. I had 2 clean PCR tests at 6 days post-exposure, and a third at 8 days post-exposure so it looks like I've missed it.

The good news of our case is that there were about 4-5 people in the office with extensive exposure to the breakthrough case (5+ hours in a small conference room) and so far there's no identified spread. I'm hoping this means that vaccinated-vaccinated transfer is rare with breakthrough cases.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Dunno why but posting this seems right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es3Vsfzdr14

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

bleeding kansas posted:

i stand by it, and thats a great example of what i mean

It's nice to know what variety of dipshit is providing selection pressure for immunity escape, by hobnobbing with the unvaxx'd mutation pool.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

https://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Reusable-Multipurpose-Shopping-Belongings/dp/B08N1MGQK1

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/covid-19-pandemic-orphaned-children-grief/

i love how the media is trying to make every negative effect of COVID into a COVID-specific thing like there's something special about "COVID grief".

I mean with delta and the upcoming waves, the orphaned children problem will get taken care of by the end of the year.

Also a great way to cut down on childcare and education costs for the average household 👍

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Notahippie posted:

I posted last week about being exposed to a breakthrough case at work. I had 2 clean PCR tests at 6 days post-exposure, and a third at 8 days post-exposure so it looks like I've missed it.

The good news of our case is that there were about 4-5 people in the office with extensive exposure to the breakthrough case (5+ hours in a small conference room) and so far there's no identified spread. I'm hoping this means that vaccinated-vaccinated transfer is rare with breakthrough cases.

:toot:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Notahippie posted:

Do you still mask up at work or do you bare your face?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Notahippie posted:

rare maybe in your anecdote, but singapore contact tracing is loaded with vaccinated -> vaccinated spread. some of the israeli cases were vaccinated -> vaccinated -> classroom full of unvaccinated kids too. it's certainly less common but definitely not a nothingburger

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Helith posted:

It’s great, I’ve never actually been so interested in the Olympics

:same: and I love me some sportsball

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

Do you still mask up at work or do you bare your face?

Up until this I was barefaced, because that was the office policy and I didn't think a mask would help me personally unless I went full respirator.

My wife convinced me that I was off-base and that there is some data showing that simple masking does help. The office shut down for 2 weeks after the exposure, and we're working a hybrid schedule with people in the office 2x/week so when we reopen next week I'll be masked.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The SEC is doing something similar.

Games will not be rescheduled for COVID. There will either be a forfeit or no-contest recorded in the event a team is unable to compete due to COVID.

quote:

"The message to schools is "You're expected to play as scheduled," Sankey said.

"That means your team needs to be healthy to compete, and if not, that game won't be rescheduled," he said. "And thus, to dispose of the game, the 'forfeit' word comes up at this point."

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Compassionate Eugenics

Grand Theft Autobot has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Jul 22, 2021

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

rare maybe in your anecdote, but singapore contact tracing is loaded with vaccinated -> vaccinated spread. some of the israeli cases were vaccinated -> vaccinated -> classroom full of unvaccinated kids too. it's certainly less common but definitely not a nothingburger

ah, poo poo. I should know better at this point than to allow even a brief flicker of optimism

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Notahippie posted:

Up until this I was barefaced, because that was the office policy and I didn't think a mask would help me personally unless I went full respirator.

My wife convinced me that I was off-base and that there is some data showing that simple masking does help. The office shut down for 2 weeks after the exposure, and we're working a hybrid schedule with people in the office 2x/week so when we reopen next week I'll be masked.

it's zero cost and 99% effective protection--keep the masking and don't let any office goon make you feel bad for it

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Golli posted:

The SEC is doing something similar.

Games will not be rescheduled for COVID. There will either be a forfeit or no-contest recorded in the event a team is unable to compete due to COVID.

this will be a historic year where there is no superbowl or college championship because every single game was forfeit

or maybe this will finally be the year navy wins... just keep those guys in a bubble on a carrier in the pacific for the entire season, practicing dilligently on the deck and fly them in for the last game lol

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Notahippie posted:

I'm only wearing a 3 layer cloth mask (+ a 5 layer p2.5 filter) in the office because I honestly believe it helps. Sorry respirator crew, I don't think you're crazy but it's not for me.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Glumwheels posted:

Chuds hosed around and found out

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
mod sassinator you're religiously checking the pre-prints - wasn't there a study a little while back that linked viral load to long covid or am i just making that up

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Notahippie posted:

Good news for once! :getin:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Lacrosse posted:

I'm only wearing a 3 layer cloth mask (+ a 5 layer p2.5 filter) in the office because I honestly believe it helps. Sorry respirator crew, I don't think you're crazy but it's not for me.

respirator is 90% for the reuseability and comfort. they feel better with silicone on the edge of your face instead of tight cloth. you can clean them inside too and keep them from getting as funky. and if people don't care about exhaust ports anymore then they're more comfortable to breath out of vs. masks

any extra protection they provide shouldn't really factor in to any risk taking or decision making IMHO. pretend they're a cloth mask still

edit: there's also the psychological gently caress you to management where they have to see and acknowledge that yes, we are still in a deadly pandemic spread by airborne virus

mod sassinator has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Jul 22, 2021

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Forseti posted:

Dunno why but posting this seems right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es3Vsfzdr14

We are so blessed to have Grandpa Elliot's voice recorded for all to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM

Here's my fave from this project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xjPODksI08

Anyway. We're locked in for the wave, however it shakes out. Take care, everyone.

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Why aren't they reporting about the people i made up? I just don't get it!