Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't need a copy (since I already have the game with DLC), but I'll probably give the fanfic reading a shot for the hell of it.

Edit: Also, I wanted to point out how great Carter's voice actor is. Uncontrolled Carter has the same voice, but the actor changes his line delivery enough so that he sounds like a completely different character.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Unless it's in the a bit of the video that I missed - did you miss the last, secret weapon in the Bureau base? It's a bit impractical for how little ammo it carries, but it's fun.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

For what it's worth, I vote Weir, based solely on his accent.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I will probably attempt something for one of the copies.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Weir is our man.

To flesh that out a bit- Weaver wants all alien life on the planet dead. I'm fairly certain that extends to us. Picking her will likely result in our own death. Faulke will almost certainly work to overpower and control us, as Origin did. Weir is our only shot at a true partnership, so even if he wasn't entirely on the ball and almost certainly willing to work with us peacefully, he'd be better than the other two by default. He doesn't want to kill us, and he doesn't want to control us. His understanding, or rather want of understanding, is just icing on the cake.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 12, 2014

Five
Jan 6, 2009

I'm going to have to throw my vote in for Faulke

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Being a fan of games with this kind of narrative fuckery, I can think of 999, and to a lesser extent the sequel, Virtue's Last Reward. Similar but not the same.

To be fair to Carter, though, those "flashback" sequences are what he's experiencing while under control of the Ethereal. So for however long the events of the game have lasted, he's been cooped up inside his own head reliving memories of losing his family.

For the vote: I played Weaver and watched Weir, so I'm voting Faulke.

Speaking of 999 and VLR, I'm not knowledgeable on their overall plot twists, but the writer of those games did a very similar thing in his earlier game, Ever17: the out of infinity. Specifically, it's an interesting inversion of the choice at the end of this update because (structural spoilers for a bit obscure game for those who know/don't care), during the prologue, the game's POV switches between the two main protagonists and at the end of the prologue the game gives you a choice of which character to play as for the rest of the game. It seems at first glance to just be the usual literary/cinematic device of alternating POV and a common video game "choose your character" screen, but later after doing all the main part of the game it is revealed that the player is really controlling a time-traveling non-corporeal entity that is seeing through the eyes of the two main characters. So at the beginning you are actually seeing the alternating POVs because the player character is hopping between possessing two people due to confusion about identity, and the character selection choice is really the player, as the entity, "willing" itself to possess one of the two characters for the duration of the main game. But you don't find out this is what it is until late in the game.
It is an added bit of meta since it also means that basic video game stuff like being able to play through multiple routes and endings while remembering what happened in them, and even stuff like saving and reloading the game, has a justification of literally happening within the game since your character can time travel and possess people.

In other words, it's the inverse of this game's choice because you're an unaware noncorporeal entity that chooses which character to possess at the beginning where you don't know what you are doing, instead of at the end after it's revealed what you are doing.

I guess it is a thing for that creator because the other related games seem to have a similar thing going on as well.

And I'm surprised that nobody else brought up Deadly Premonition.

Though none of them are as neat of a visual device as this game's character that is literally a physical representation of an over-the-shoulder third person video game camera.

Funny enough, I have a bad habit of skimming FAQs for games I am playing or watching LPs of to see how far it is into the game, and I saw that near the end of the game there was the choice (Contact Weaver/Contact Faulke/Contact Weir) that affected the late game, but I didn't catch on to the other elements of the plot so I thought it was just Carter choosing a character to talk to on the radio or something and they would accompany him in that part of the game.

I don't really get why this game has a bad reputation, other than being a bit dull in an AAA way, and backlash from X-Com series fans for it not being a turn-based strategy game.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Weir since I've finished the game with Weaver

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NAME REDACTED posted:

Calling it now, we've been taken over by the alien artifact.

I just wanted to bring back one of the first posts in the thread, since it seems like an appropriate time.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

asvodel posted:

I don't really get why this game has a bad reputation, other than being a bit dull in an AAA way, and backlash from X-Com series fans for it not being a turn-based strategy game.

It is really dull in a AAA way but it doesn't even have the usual AAA polish. It's really shallow in terms of gameplay, the overall plot structure is incredibly janky (jesus christ the whole Axis part is as bad as the ending of KotOR2 in terms of missing content). It has some wonderful art assets, a great lighting engine, a great art style, unique setting, fantastic voice actors and genuinely great combat mechanics - a 1:1 Mass Effect 1 copy, which is fine since that one had the best combat system, (even if the UI is pretty loving bad and Bioshocky) - and one hell of a plot twist.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 12, 2014

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

chitoryu12 posted:

I just wanted to bring back one of the first posts in the thread, since it seems like an appropriate time.

I smirked when I saw that post, since I knew the general of what happened, but I didn't know the specifics. I am glad that no one gave it away during the thread. (At least, that I noticed)

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

64bitrobot posted:

I smirked when I saw that post, since I knew the general of what happened, but I didn't know the specifics. I am glad that no one gave it away during the thread. (At least, that I noticed)

I refrained from posting until now for exactly that reason. I didn't trust myself to not drop hints that they were absolutely correct.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Weir

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

bewilderment posted:

Unless it's in the a bit of the video that I missed - did you miss the last, secret weapon in the Bureau base? It's a bit impractical for how little ammo it carries, but it's fun.

poo poo - I think I did. I always found it in the next section of the game, so I'll still show it off, but I didn't know it was in the base (though that makes a lot more sense).

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.
See, I always thought of Baten Kaitos. It's not a twist, of course, but you play as a spirit that... sort of pals around with the party. They're aware of you, and ask your opinions on things occasionally in the plot, but you don't actually possess anybody per se.

My vote's for Weir, because I get the feeling his approach would lead to a nation of Bobs and no Mosaic to turn them back against humanity.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Weaver - let's blow it all to hell.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
McKilligan, are you going to do (final mission spoiler) the optional fight at the very end?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I stopped playing the game right before I got on the Avenger. Don't know why, just got bored and didn't pick it back up. So it's neat to see and hear the backstory and the design decisions for things in this game and I'm looking forward to the end because I completely forgot the alien artifact at the beginning was a plot point.

I think we should go with Weir because he just seems like the kind of guy that will get the right things done at this point.

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Weir seems to be the most mentally focused person, so let's go with him.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I vote for Weir since I see him as the least likely to gently caress up and cause some entirely new catastrophe.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I vote Weir.

This twist really explains so much about this game, I love it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Alan Turing Wier, because like other people are saying, he's a scientist and probably the least likely to gently caress things up.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Doctor West er Weir.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Faulke, on the grounds that I haven't done the endgame with him.

Parenthesis fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 16, 2014

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Weir

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Felt like doing something a little different for this update, kinda sick of making folders. At any rate, the voting was more or less a landslide for our aussie egghead, so Weir it is, much like my own first playthrough.

Survivors
Ethereal Autopsy
Hull Breach
Where did this come from?

However, once again, we are faced with a choice - I've already made my prediction for which way the voting will lean, but who knows! Additionally, I'm actually going to put TWO choices to you guys. The first choice is obvious, who do we rescue?

The second choice is a little trickier, but without saying too much, how should Agent Carter be dealt with? Should he be treated as a threat, and met with the extreme prejudice that such threats warrant, or shown leniency, having only recently recovered his faculties?

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 17, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know what? gently caress Carter. He just tried to kill pretty much everyone in his insane little quest.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Be the better man. Err... alien.

We're in a position to prove that we have humanity's best interests in mind. Nothing better than mercy as a way to show off.

Besides, he wants the other aliens dead too. Might as well have another gun in the fight.

As for the rescue

Faulke.

He's pretty much the highest ranking member of the government confirmed alive. Leaving out any personal matters, he's more important to reconstruction, even if he is a paranoid son-of-a-bitch. Sorry Weaver, but we've got dozens of field agents, even now. We only have one commander.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 17, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Weaver because she's cool. And be merciful. He's just cranky after waking up.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I noticed that Weir seems to have picked up Carter's little fist-against-palm fidget. Was that intentional, or is it just protagonist_idle_animation_002.rig?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Save Weaver because Faulke's a jerk, and screw Carter because he's a jerk.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Save Weaver because Faulke's a jerk, and screw Carter because he's a jerk.

Weaver's a jerk too.

She's just a less useful jerk.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know, you say this is where sympathy for Carter goes out the window but I disagree. I might be reading too much into the "nightmares" we got of Carter occasionally, which now we see were how Carter perceived his mind after it being forcibly removed from his own body, but from what I can tell he has basically spent months reliving the day his family died. During the entire war he has seen so many people around him dying but he is completely incapable of doing anything about it and it appears this has manifested as when he was told his family was dead and buried before he was even told. We also know that Carter hasn't always been completely irrational at whatever he was doing since then because that probably would have factored into Faulke taking him off a deskjob to deliver literally the most important thing ever.

So yeah, he's endangering literally everyone on (and off) Earth but he also just spent however many months this game is supposed to last in a soundproof one-way mirror room, pounding on the sides to no avail, with the death of his family on an audio loop. Carter may be a jerk but only because others were even bigger jerks :colbert: You be lenient on that man.

On another note, and I'm not sure this was intentional or not, but I do like the narrative dynamic the three different choices for the Ethereal in the previous video lends to the choice at the end of the latest video. While in a narrative sense the Ethereal is doing the thinking and rationalization on who to save the player, or at least this particular player, can't help but see it from the perspective of the inhabited character. Weir perhaps has the easiest choice of them all, honestly. Save an agent, a really good agent, but still just an agent or the man who helped organize and is probably ultimately responsible for any and all successes. But if you're controlling Faulke or Weaver you get a bit more emotion to chew on if you're the type to think about these things, even more so for Weaver. Faulke gets to choose between saving his apprentice or perhaps the most useful scientist on Earth, although admittedly for Faulke the character this is probably an easy choice but perhaps less so for the player. Weaver gets the worst choice ever, both as a character and as a player, as she gets to choose between saving her mentor and the most useful strategic mind in the fight against the aliens OR she gets to save the most useful scientist on Earth. But I guess you have to rescue Faulke in this case :smith:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

People will sensibly go with saving Faulke, so I say save Weaver. Also, be lenient on Carter. As the old saying goes, forgive your enemies. Nothing will piss them off more.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Screw Carter, save Weaver. We really should have folks named Baker and Tchatcher on crew.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I don't have an opinion on who should be saved, but gently caress Carter.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
...Wait. Don't we need to hit three places at once? Does it even matter who we save, considering that if we lose someone it's all over?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

...Wait. Don't we need to hit three places at once? Does it even matter who we save, considering that if we lose someone it's all over?

The real question is, who do you think is competent enough to succeed alone, even if they don't survive the experience? For that, my money's on Weaver. So, help Faulke and be lenient with Carter.

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
I say gently caress Carter and save Weaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Znorelag posted:

I say gently caress Carter and save Weaver.

• Locked thread