Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Soonmot posted:

Oh no, I didn't realize that. I guess I'll use the earthquake/quicksand combo instead of tossing out the aoe immob

Aoe immobilizes are generally pretty questionable but earth control's is especially bad precisely because it partly disables earthquake and quicksand. Mobs that would spend all of their time either falling on their rear end or running towards you at 5% speed will once rooted instead throw very large boulders at your head and kill you. Or, best case, throw giant boulders at someone else. I ended up just dropping Stone Cages entirely on my earth/cold controller because the times when it was a good idea were vanishingly rare.

This is not to say that there are no situations where a large immobilize is a good idea. It helps versus things that are more dangerous in melee, or when want to root some dangerous mobs out of range or sight, or if you or a friend have big knockbacks attached to a damaging aoe and want to disable the knocking back part. Just be aware that 95% of the time immobs make the mobs you afflict more dangerous, not less.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hakarne posted:

That's probably my favorite part of playing my SS Brute. Between Footstomp and Handclap (with the I25 knockback->knockdown IO) he plays like a pissed-off melee knockdown controller. I'm also getting the Energy AoE from the patron pool so I can keep things on their rear end for most of the fight.

It's also god tier in groups for eating an alpha. Jump in, AoE knockdown, and if it's a solid group most everything is dead by the time they could get back up.

As someone relatively new to CoX (I played a little years ago but not seriously), learning how to deal with enemy alpha strikes has been a fun challenge for me. It's something you don't really need to think about in a lot of newer MMOs, where encounters seem more "controlled" and don't usually have specific enemy types who can totally gently caress up your party if they aren't neutralized ASAP. I enjoy how the concept of "tanking" in CoX is as much about being able to soak up or nullify that initial burst of "holy poo poo" from an enemy pack as it is about holding aggro.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Xerophyte posted:

Aoe immobilizes are generally pretty questionable but earth control's is especially bad precisely because it partly disables earthquake and quicksand. Mobs that would spend all of their time either falling on their rear end or running towards you at 5% speed will once rooted instead throw very large boulders at your head and kill you. Or, best case, throw giant boulders at someone else. I ended up just dropping Stone Cages entirely on my earth/cold controller because the times when it was a good idea were vanishingly rare.

This is not to say that there are no situations where a large immobilize is a good idea. It helps versus things that are more dangerous in melee, or when want to root some dangerous mobs out of range or sight, or if you or a friend have big knockbacks attached to a damaging aoe and want to disable the knocking back part. Just be aware that 95% of the time immobs make the mobs you afflict more dangerous, not less.

With earth it seems a huge waste now that I know about the knockback/down stuff. I have stalgtites, which don't refresh fast enough to be an every mob type of thing. I can also take salt crystals for an extra OH poo poo button and maybe just use the single target immon for damage.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i realise im just unoriginally copying an enemy type, but I really like my Praetorian dude, Big Fix:

he even has a bio and alternate resistance costume now!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Basing characters on in-game stuff is still miles ahead of lazily rolling up xXtEhWolferineXx (and probably not even going Claws/Regen for some goddamn reason), IMO.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I usually try to go for some thematic character, but there are times where sometimes I’ll just make a more generic hero/villain. There’s a certain allure to making a vanilla character and having their whole story be what you do in the game.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Harrow posted:

We're gonna have to get all our :ussr: characters together for some good old-fashioned solidarity (and also adventure)

I guess the real question is, are they heroes or villains? The argument for heroes is they're the only ones who can save anyone, but the argument for villains is then they get to rob banks.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I made big fix cause originally I wanted to make a troll character, fighting them in the hollows is probably one of my earliest memories of playing CoH (i skipped over atlas park cause my buddies were ahead in level). But there arent any good customisation options for making a troll, so I decided to make an alternate reality troll, one of the destroyers.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mystic Mongol posted:

I guess the real question is, are they heroes or villains? The argument for heroes is they're the only ones who can save anyone, but the argument for villains is then they get to rob banks.

When it's time to crush the houses of capitalism, all you have to do is talk to a little seagull.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Thundarr posted:

When it's time to crush the houses of capitalism, all you have to do is talk to a little seagull.

Just like Stalin did before Tiflis.

E: Now I had to check if "The Man of Steel" was taken for a Stalin lookalike and, unsurprisingly, it's long gone. Too bad, it would've been both an accurate translation and made a lot of nerds very angry.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 18, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alternately the Soviet heroes could just be vigilantes, either way.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This was asked about in the Discord so I sat down and figured it out.
This is to cycle Ninja Run - Hover and Fly.
Because while Hover and Fly cancel each other out, its silly to still have Ninja Run still on, and this does it all with one key.

FYI I use the 'a' key for travel powers, you use whatever key you want

If you dont have one already create a data folder in your CoH folder.
For me thats C:\games\coh_tequila\data

Make 3 text files named fly1-3 and put the below lines into each text file

fly1.txt
code:
a "powexectoggleoff Fly$$powexectoggleon Ninja Run$$bindloadfile fly2.txt"
fly2.txt
code:
a "powexectoggleoff Ninja Run$$powexectoggleon Hover$$bindloadfile fly3.txt"
fly3.txt
code:
a "powexectoggleoff Hover$$powexectoggleon Fly$$bindloadfile fly1.txt"
Thats it, turn on Fly and paste into your chat line
code:
/bind a "powexectoggleoff Fly$$powexectoggleon Ninja Run$$bindloadfile fly2.txt"
and hit your key, now you should cycle through the 3 powers.

This of course should work with Combat Jumping and Superjump w/ Ninja Run if you so need it.
Of course if you dont use Ninja Run you can just type into your chat line
code:
/bind a "powexec_name Hover$$powexec_name Fly"
replacing 'a' with your key and the powers with Combat Jumping and Superjump if you want.

I recently found (30mins ago) a recently updated list of commands for CoX referred to as the Technical Reference Guide updated May 2019 http://www.dgath.com/coh/CoH-CoV-Technical-Guide-v255.pdf

Edit: almost forgot, when you hit your key it will be shown that you are loading the new txt file in your tab that shows system messages.
If you do not want to see this message spam, replace 'bindloadfile' with 'bindloadfilesilent'.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 18, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Speaking of slash commands, were the pet commands changed at some point to prevent you from making them emote? No matter what syntax I tried last night I couldn't get them to work with emotes that I'd verified I was able to do myself.

But what I'd really like to know is if there's a way to toggle both Ninja Run and Sprint together with a single button, since they are not mutually exclusive.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Speaking of slash commands, were the pet commands changed at some point to prevent you from making them emote? No matter what syntax I tried last night I couldn't get them to work with emotes that I'd verified I was able to do myself.

/petsayall <em [emote]>

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The new and improved Arr Kelly. Still a piss corrupter, but I changed out Time for Storm.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FutonForensic posted:

/petsayall <em [emote]>

Also, if you were just using the /petsay command it's only valid if you're controlling 1 henchman or actively targeting the one you want to say/do whatever. It also only works on Mastermind henchmen, not pets. (Maybe Incarnate Lore summons?)

I really don't know where this came from (well okay, I sort of do) but multiple people this week have tried to insist to me that there's a badge for defeating both Hydra heads at the end of DFB within 15 seconds of each other. There isn't. There never was. That's a badge for Drowning in Blood where you need to defeat the two big Shivans in sync. But people continue to claim otherwise...

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Thundarr posted:

But what I'd really like to know is if there's a way to toggle both Ninja Run and Sprint together with a single button, since they are not mutually exclusive.

I'm not on right now to test, but you could try

code:
/bind numpad0 "powexectoggleon Ninja Run$$powexectoggleon Sprint"
Though you may still have to press it twice.
Using $$ with no space on either side lets you do multiple commands.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Also I'm having way too much fun designing costumes and then bind keys to swap between them. You used to have to make macros, but now they costume costume changes!

For example, let's say Rogue Arachnos here wants to put on his Crab Armor.

Your costume slots go from 0-9 so my bind would be something like:

quote:

/bind p "cce 1 CCEnergyMorph$$local It's time to put on my asskicking suit!"

That would shift my active costume to slot 1 using the Energy Morph costume change, while in Local my character says something. Now he changes into his suit.

When I want to go back I just set up a second bind.

quote:

/bind o "cce 0 CCPressureRelease$$local I need to get out of this suit."

Which makes him go back to his much shorter self in a burst of steam.

You can do similar binds with pets as well.

quote:

/bind q "petcom_all attack$$e point$$local Attack that $target, my minions!"

That would make all of your pets attack whatever you are targeting, make your character point, and then name the target in a local message. It's oddly fun.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
How do you take a screenshot that includes UI elements and dialogue? I want a shot of my character with his bio open, while saying a line, but none of the latter stuff shows up...

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
To enable UI in screenshots
code:
/screenshotui 1
To disable again
code:
/screenshotui 0

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

John Murdoch posted:

drat near every plotline that wasn't "oh btw the Battalion" was "this 1-50 group needs some way to level up so we can reuse them in Incarnate content they can stay relevant in the Incarnate arms race" which really blatantly shows how awful the Incarnate system was for storytelling. (And frankly the game's health in general, IMO. :can:) Just one long game of power creep until they blew everything up at the end and cue City of Heroes 2.

I will probably never, ever let this go, but if they'd taken the storyline in a cosmic direction right off the bat, so many of those issues could have been sidestepped. The incarnate system wasn't necessarily bad for storytelling per se, it just didn't work with the sort of stories they clearly wanted to tell, regardless of how well it worked or how sick people were of the (by that point) mundane setting.

Hell, they held a poll some time after CoV and before Going Rogue which basically turned out like:

quote:

DEVS: What sort of zones would you most like to see?
PLAYERS [OVERWHELMINGLY]: SPACE SPACE SPACE
DEVS: Folks, we hear you loud and clear; Beard Dimension it is!
PLAYERS: groan

While the low-level Praetorian content turned out to be some of the most well-written and thought-out content of the entire game, the incarnate content it led to was basically just a lot of running around and farming the same batch of assholes everyone had been farming for the Accolade since Issue 1, when in fact people had been drooling for a proper showdown with Rularuu or a comparable cosmic threat ever since Issue 2.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 18, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Thank you! Behold, The Dread Yomomma:

I can't believe I'm the first to think of this.

I am going to make macros and keybinds, so I can fire off terrible CoH themed Yo Momma jokes while playing, until no one will team with me!

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 18, 2019

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I really want to steal Freon Trotsky, that rules.

Is there a way to get the save/load options from file in the options menu work? It's getting real old having to set up and change all my keybindings and settings on every new character i make. I remember it working on live, but here it says it successfully saves or loads, but... it doesn't actually do anything.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Made a ditzy alien invader girl who forgot her mission and is now just fighting crime and what not. Earth is pretty cool anyhow.

A spooky possessed suit of armor! Was surprised it let you make a name that long. Ended up switching to mace from sword though since it's apparently much better.

Started with inspiration from one of the costumes posted, really happy with where I ended up. Reactor Leak was the only good rad themed name I could think of that wasn't taken.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 18, 2019

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is it possible to make a human only form Peacebringer that's actually good now? I tried this years ago and it didn't seem bery good. Also seemed like you were overextending yourself to take/slot the human form powers cause the alien form powers were pretty much the same thing but better.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 18, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is it possible to make a human only form Peacebringer that's actually good now? I tried this years ago and it didn't seem bery good. Also seemed like you were overextending yourself to take/slot the human form powers cause the alien form powers were pretty much the same thing but better.

It's not really any better than playing a Brute/Scrapper, and is harder to make workable. You're angling to make Light Form permanent, which requires also making Hasten permanent. You're looking for something in the range of about 105% bonus recharge from IO sets to hit that, which is ridiculously expensive, especially given PB's relative lack of enhancement set diversity. It's something I'd only do if you've already gotten another character established and can afford to kit them out.

If you're looking for something similar to PB, Radiation Armor's got a lot of fiery glows and a teamwide healing power that's pretty good.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Does the Leadership set work on Mastermind minions?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

head58 posted:

Absolutely. Also you can see the little buff icons next to your pets health bars to check that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

head58 posted:

Yes. Pets are considered to be the same thing as allied heroes/villains for all intents and purposes (aside from revival powers), unless stated otherwise.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sometimes small isn't small enough. Did you know you can be more small?

Just edit the Scale value in your costume file and load it up in the editor. -36 is the furthest the game will let you push the value, which gets you about an extra half a foot shorter in height.

Note that if you go back to one of the costume NPCs who can affect your height after doing this, you'll need to load the costume from the file again or it'll force you back to the slider rules instead of the secret real rules. But other costume NPCs won't force the size to revert.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Sea Lily posted:

Just edit the Scale value in your costume file and load it up in the editor. -36 is the furthest the game will let you push the value, which gets you about an extra half a foot shorter in height.

Note that if you go back to one of the costume NPCs who can affect your height after doing this, you'll need to load the costume from the file again or it'll force you back to the slider rules instead of the secret real rules. But other costume NPCs won't force the size to revert.

what about even bigger!

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

Sea Lily posted:

Are there any other values that can be edited out of slider range like this?

Edit: I get an error whenever I increase WaistScale beyond 0.0999.
However, it does appear to me that I was able to decrease ChestScale very slightly beyond the minimum. Large negative values didn't have a visually significant effect but they didn't break anything: -255 ChestScale is not that much smaller than the slider min, but it is smaller. No giant fat blobs yet :(

Udelar fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 18, 2019

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tsurupettan posted:

what about even bigger!

Udelar posted:

Are there any other values that can be edited out of slider range like this?

These might be possible! I didn't have enough time to also test other sliders before work this morning though, so someone else is welcome to check if they want to, or I'll do it myself when I get home from work later

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Anyone good with binds?

I am trying to follow this guide to make binds for my robots: http://guidescroll.com/2011/07/city-of-heroes-mastermind-numeric-keypad-pet-controls/. I am doing the text version because I thought it would be easier, but it is being a pain in the rear end.

So the folder I put them in is: C:\CoH\covbinds. But every time I try to load it, it says "unable to read in keybind file: C:/CoH/covbinds/covbindsRobot.txt

So I tried to just copy and paste the lines in the first section in the game, and it sort of works. I keep getting the error: Unkown command: 'bind

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Is your file in that directory named covbindsRobot.txt and not covbindsRobot.txt.txt ?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

Anyone good with binds?

I am trying to follow this guide to make binds for my robots: http://guidescroll.com/2011/07/city-of-heroes-mastermind-numeric-keypad-pet-controls/. I am doing the text version because I thought it would be easier, but it is being a pain in the rear end.

So the folder I put them in is: C:\CoH\covbinds. But every time I try to load it, it says "unable to read in keybind file: C:/CoH/covbinds/covbindsRobot.txt

So I tried to just copy and paste the lines in the first section in the game, and it sort of works. I keep getting the error: Unkown command: 'bind

I ran into the same thing, and another helpful goon pointed out that my issue was I'd actually created zombies.txt.txt instead of zombies.txt. I got the exact error you did until I fixed the file name.

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday

Mercury_Storm posted:

Were they considered bad before? I remember liking mine and not thinking it was horrible

Then again, all I played was stalkers and people said they were the worst class, so maybe I'm dumb

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Peacebringers are strictly inferior to scrappers/brutes. That said, triform is very strong while levelling and at level cap human form does good work with proper IO investment. With the way i25 allows you to buy purples with reward merits, it isn't that hard to get a tricked out human form build with perma-Light Form and all that jazz.

At the end of the day "strictly inferior to scrappers/brutes" applies to a lot of things and doesn't actually matter that much in real gameplay terms.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mystic Mongol posted:

Is your file in that directory named covbindsRobot.txt and not covbindsRobot.txt.txt ?

Thundarr posted:

I ran into the same thing, and another helpful goon pointed out that my issue was I'd actually created zombies.txt.txt instead of zombies.txt. I got the exact error you did until I fixed the file name.

I have this burning feeling that is it. I will check it out when I get home. Ty Goons

Edit: Yup that was it. Ty guys!

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Sea Lily posted:

These might be possible! I didn't have enough time to also test other sliders before work this morning though, so someone else is welcome to check if they want to, or I'll do it myself when I get home from work later

Looks like the tallest setting slider in game already hits 36, can't get any taller. I did try tooling around with the other sliders (head and such) and wasn't able to find any noticeable difference.

On a different note: there was a new command added that works wonders with MM binds/macros/popmenus, powexec_location. This removes the 'click' portion of powers that need to be manually placed, like summoning pets and dropping AoE's.

i25 Patch Notes posted:

i25 Patchnotes
Powexec_Location:
Added /powexec_location, a client-side slash command to allow use of location targeted powers without having to click.
Usage: /powexec_location loc power
loc is a location specifier. There's several different things you can use here:
me or self - Both target the power on yourself.
target - Your currently selected target. If you have no target, the power is not activated.
direction:distance - direction can either be one of six cardinal directions relative to the player: forward, back, left, right, up, down, -or- it can be a number. If it's a number, it is taken as an angle in degrees. 0 is straight in front of you, 90 is right, etc. It can also be camera, to indicate the direction the camera is facing, including elevation.
distance is either a number in world units (feet), or the keyword max, which means to use the maximum range of the power.
power is the name of the power, just like what you'd use with /powexec_name. You can put quotes around the name to make it look cleaner if you want, but they are optional.

Useful examples:
/powexec_location me Fire Imps
/powexec_location target Tar Patch
/powexec_location camera:max Teleport