Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Holt
Jul 31, 2004
I really don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said; Interesting plot, good cinematography, entertaining action sequences, the works.

5.5\5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankTheSpank
Oct 15, 2003

Sweep the leg.
So many people gave this movie high praise, everytime I read a review it got the highest rating. So I added it to my NetFlix queue and there it sat for months. I finally bumped it to the top of my queue when I got sick of watching all the other crap I've been watching.

It's all been said before, so I'll just add this: It lives up to the hype.

5.5\5

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
What can I loving say? Awesome acting, great soundtrack, one of my favorite villains of all time, and of course the 5 minute long hallway fight scene. Honestly, I just kept getting more and more pumped as the scene progressed and there continued to be no camera changes (I had just seen Borne Supremecy, which is like the exact opposite).

There were some seriously visually stunning moments near the end too, like As The Monster slowly walks away from the window and the lights turn out, and The villain's calling of and descent in the elevator.

Yes, 5.5/5 INDEED!

Livid Blue Couch
Oct 16, 2005
On the one hand, I can suspend disbelief enough to let him beat on dozens of guys by training on his own for ten years, so that was okay. The cinematography was very impressive. The one-take fight scene in the hallway was kickass. Unfortunately, the movie quickly went downhill after the first half. By the ending, the movie had dragged on a little too long, and the climactic scene was utterly batshit crazy in a bad way. Cutting off his tongue was ridiculous, nonsensical, and tacked on.

I like to think that I have good taste in movies, so maybe I missed something. I completely do not understand why everyone thought this movie was so good. I guess it's worth a rental if you want to see a flick with lots of violence, a fair amount of sex, and some hot, hot incest.

Pros: Good cinematography, cool fight scenes.
Cons: Ridiculous story, ridiculous ending.

1.5/5

Dr. Leary
Sep 11, 2001
Simply amazing. 5/5

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

One of the best twists in recent memory. 5/5

nyquil
May 1, 2003

Two things I didn't really like about this movie was that, like said before, the 15 years imprisonment didn't feel like 15 years. It moved way too fast, it felt like a few months, tops.

The second thing was the hypnosis at the end. Some may disagree, but I think it would have been a bit more interesting if they left it being him knowing that she's his daughter, and her left in the dark about. I think it would have gripped me a bit more, and it felt like a bit of a let-down. I guess relief is needed after tension, though. I'm actually not sure whether or not the hypnosis was a good or bad thing to put in... I'm so torn :( Then again, I'm not very adept at critiquing a film.

I liked the transitions, such as his hand right after the sister falls into the dam and his hand cocks the gun back in the air and then cuts to him shooting himself in the head in the elavator. Did I remember that correctly?

Another good thing was the twist. It completely knocked me off my feet, and I really wasn't expecting it. When it happened, my jaw dropped and I said "Holy poo poo!" quite audibly. One of the best twists I can think of, easily.

All in all, 4.5/5

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
I just saw this today, and thought it was okay. Any violence in movies never shocks or impresses me anymore, so the tooth pulling part was never anything special to me. Other than that, the plot was cool, and the twist ending was not something I expected.

4/5

oh deasu cut off his tongue because it was kind of a way to payback the villian for starting a rumor, because he "impregnated his sister with his tongue".

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 13, 2019

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I saw this movie and it was fantastic. The story seemed reasonable. I don't see why people thing it's "out there" or anything. I mean, Daesu's daughter was like 3 when he got tossed in the jail for 15 loving years. I mean, it's 100% possible she's not going to remember a drat thing about him. The twist was good and theaction and camera work was top-notch. Everything about it was just awesome.

5/5

On a side note, the same guy who's directing the american remake is directing Fast and the Furious 3. I HAVE HIGH HOPES WITH THIS ONE!

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
I came into watching this movie only knowing the premise of the movie: Man is taken and imprisoned for 15 years without human contact and he doesn't know why

But wow, I was disappointed. There are a lot of great things in this movie, like the cinematography, soundtrack, and everything else that everyone has raved about so far. But the story was just awful. Maybe I just don't understand Korean culture, but almost everything that was done in the movie just didn't make sense for someone to do. And yes, I 'got' the movie, it's just some of the things done didn't click.

And the hypnosis thing is the ultimate cop out. It seems like they started with an awesome idea: guy is locked up for 15 years then hunts down the person who locked him up. But instead, they throw in the hypnosis bomb and it really cheapens the movie. I don't think I can suspend my belief enough for hypnosis when a guy attempts to rape a girl in a bathroom, then she immediately forgives him. Espencially considering she just met him.

The movie had a lot of good points, but the story was really its downfall. A lot of lost potential. I was going to give it a 3/5, but that hammer scene was really good for a single shot.

3.5/5

deaf jesus
Feb 19, 2004
hear no evil
I watched this soley on the basis of what I've read here and I must say thanks for an excellent rating/reviews that piqued my interest. All I can say is I will never loving look at a hammer ever again without cringing. Thanks a lot you assholes.

5.5/5

Nafrodite
Jan 9, 2004

now is the winter of our discontent
Just watched this and it definitely lives up to the hype. Some scenes were very unwatchable because they were so graphic that you could almost feel the guy's pain (you know which ones I mean). It's a great modern revenge-tragedy and even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, I probably won't watch it again.

The only 5.5 I've given so far.

jet spyder
Jun 23, 2005
Great movie twists, i liked it.

Hopefully the english remake will be as good, but i doubt it.

5/5

14 characters+1
Nov 20, 2003

by Ozma
Wow. You guys hyped this movie up a bit, eh?

Original story, horrible follow through. Stupid ending.

Why the hell does Oh Dae Su cut off his tongue, idiot.

The characters pretty much screw themselves over by taking unrealistic actions throughout the movie, and the hammer scene was just stupidly unplausible.

I guess I just don't understand the goon circlejerk over this movie.

2.5/5

edit:

vegaji posted:

And the hypnosis thing is the ultimate cop out. It seems like they started with an awesome idea: guy is locked up for 15 years then hunts down the person who locked him up. But instead, they throw in the hypnosis bomb and it really cheapens the movie. I don't think I can suspend my belief enough for hypnosis when a guy attempts to rape a girl in a bathroom, then she immediately forgives him. Espencially considering she just met him.

Agreed.

Loveboat
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
This movie is bad-acted, plus a couple of scenes are terrible (the fight scenes comes to mind). It's supposed to be a main character that you can love, despite his flaws, but I hated him throughout and wished he would die.

Rating: 2/5.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch
I do have to admit that i had to watch the film a second time to completely get what happened, but I started watching it for the second time just as the credits rolled up. I haven't seen any other films by Chan-wook Park, but i'm hoping that Sympathy for Mr. Vengence is just as good, although i heard that it wasn't from someone who's opinion about film i value.

the end just threw me for a loop...very sadistic.
Anyways, I'd give Oldboy a 5/5

JarmerFohn
Feb 17, 2006
?que?
OK why is everyone raving about this movie soo much? Ide say that it was interesting and entertaining but I realy dont know how anyone can say that its "The best movie I've ever seen." I watched this movie a while ago at the recomendation of a friend who heard about it on this site. So we sit down to watch it and ok, the fight scenes are pretty cool but other than that curiousity is the only thing keeping me from turning the movie off. I watched patiently waiting for the story to give a shocker of an ending (which I was expecting because of the context of the movie, and this site)and just so i dont give anything away, at the end of the movie, my friend and I both turned to eachother and said, "That was retarted." Just so that we're all clear the ending of the story itselfe was tollerable, but the way the director chose to show it was absolutly terrable.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
I know someone here wants to hook me up with a website where I can buy that 2 disc special edition...

Like all of you...
I saw this movie last night.
My mouth was open the entire ending.
BEST MOVIE I've ever seen.

5/5

Lynchmob
Jun 19, 2001
Find hungry samurai!
This film is highly overrated in my opinion. Its a pretty entertaining movie, but I certainly can't say its the best film I have ever seen.

The movie starts off interestingly enough, but plays out like as a hodgepodge of over the top drama and fight scenes. The ending is really the clincher because it is just so flaccid and dumb. Its like they made it up on the spot. As someone else said its just batshit insane in a bad way and left me just wondering 'what the hell'.

3/5 (worth watching but I wouldnt go out my way to do so)

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I absolutely cannot understand all the goon love for this movie. I saw it in the theater a few months ago based on all the hype. I, too, knew nothing more of the plot than "a man is imprisoned for 15 years and has no idea why..." It was supposedly the "Korean Matrix."

The story started out okay, and I think the mysterious imprisonment angle could really be worked into something good. Unfortunately, the revelations are ridiculous and ruin my appreciation for anything that happened before in the film.

Good cinematography, music, and the overall style. For the first 30 minutes or so I was like "This is gonna be so awesome!" I walked out of the theater sighing, "It coulda been a contenda." It had the style elements, and parts of the plot could've made a great movie, but the twists and final conclusion are neither logical nor acceptable. And why does Daesu's classmate/the bad guy look like a 24 year old Gap model?

This movie is NOT worth the hype. It really blows my mind that everyone hear fawns over it so much.

I'll give it 2/5 : points for style, and for its potential. But the story became horrendous and ruined the movie.

StrayChild
Feb 20, 2004

vegaji posted:

I think that was something cultural about a woman inviting a man into her house and then refusing to have sex with him.

Anyways I thought the movie very, very good. The cinematography is done beautifully, the plot (to me) was intresting to watch. And I see some people didn't like the fight scene, which I felt was amazing since it just seemed a bit less "godly" and more of a guy fueled on adrenaline barely surviving.

5/5

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
The premise really interested me, 15 years of imprisonment, 5 days of revenge, etc.

However, I predicted the plot twistalmost immediatly upon him meeting the girl, I don't know why, I normally don't predict twists in movies, but I was like "hey is that his daughter" as soon as she was introduced, I was like "that's a bad idea" when he had sex with her and once the incest angle with the bad guy came up I knew what would happen.

Still a good movie, with some good scenes, but I really thought that such a great premise could have been taken in a more interesting direction, I guess I wanted more revenge and less of a weird psychological angle. Also having watched Ichi the Killer (3/5) right before this purely by coincidence his decision to cut off the tip of his tongue seemed pretty dumb. Two in a row, what are the odds? Hehe. Certain other plot points like the guy voluntarily giving up his hand didn't seem believable to me.

Entertaining, with a good premise, but ultimately just above average for me.

3.5/5

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
What can I say that hasn't already been said. Amazing cinematography really breathtaking, great unique story and a beautiful score. I would like to bring up one possible answer to a question a few people have been asking. I think Daesu cutting off his tongue is a way to apologize for horrible things in Asian cultures, since this was done in Ichi the Killer as well. (although Ichi is Japanese and Oldboy is Korean), can anyone confirm?

5.5/5

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

nyquil posted:

Two things I didn't really like about this movie was that, like said before, the 15 years imprisonment didn't feel like 15 years. It moved way too fast, it felt like a few months, tops.

The second thing was the hypnosis at the end. Some may disagree, but I think it would have been a bit more interesting if they left it being him knowing that she's his daughter, and her left in the dark about. I think it would have gripped me a bit more, and it felt like a bit of a let-down. I guess relief is needed after tension, though. I'm actually not sure whether or not the hypnosis was a good or bad thing to put in... I'm so torn :( Then again, I'm not very adept at critiquing a film.

The hypnosis at the end, I really liked, because it shows how he hasn't really changed. He's still a coward and is taking the easy way out.

tygloalex
Apr 15, 2005
YEAH FUCK MY PUSSY DADDY! FUCK IT!! FUCK FUCK MY INNOCENT PUSSY DADDY! NOW MY ASS! FILL ME WITH YOUR SEED!
I can't really say anything that hasn't been said yet, but yes, Oldboy is a great great mindfuck of a movie. The ending could have been a little better explained (like hinting at what was going to happen somewhat). I like endings where when you see the result, you yell at yourself for not noticed something and/or not putting 2 and 2 together.

4.5/5

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Pro: Great fights, the entire premise is intense and well-done during the opening sequence, the revenge is awesome, dark & gleefully sadistic sense of humor, manages to pull together a pretty cool ending in spite of plot flaws, cool visuals and soundtrack, very sleek & stylish, has a subtext that explores some of the understandable paranoia that south korea has about north korea.

Con: Stupid hypnosis plot device, not enough resolution regarding the assholes who locked him up to begin with, some shakyness in the development of the story.

Bottom line: Very good film with lots of style and some scary ideas that will stick with you, but slightly flawed upon later digestion.

4.5 claw hammers out of 5

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 16, 2006

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004
Just got done watching this, and jesus motherfucking christ I am almost completely without words. I don't know whether to call it a masterpiece of darkness or a pillar of modern cinema, or both.

I don't know where to start. The film is ridiculously powerful, gripping, and invoking, completely drawing you in and keeping you sucked into a downward spiral of complete and utter madness that leaves you feeling strangely relaxed and riveted at the same time. Choi delivers the performance of his life as Dae-su Oh, bringing a character whose torments, fears, and hatreds feel completely alive and real in all their terrifying splendor. The film keeps up a relentlessly disturbing pace with a completely unique style that's as enchanting as it is lasting, from the long-cut fight scene to the flawless train-in-room shot to the frozen hammer in midair to "camera-through-the-chopsticks" shot...I could keep on going forever.

The cinematography, editing, and score are absolutely loving beautiful and completely Oscar-worthy. There are tons of beautiful long takes and incredible transitions, I found myself constantly stopping the film and repeating the last few seconds because that scene transition was simply so loving beautifully done that I simply had to see it again. The five-minute fight scene was also incredible to behold, although the film is filled with plenty of fantastic shots that will leave you speechless. The score is quite simply absolutely perfect, a haunting yet soothing masterpiece that perfectly compliments, in fact, massages and dances with the rest of the film into the darkness.

5.5 / 5 and it deserves every last bit of it.

Lawlita
Oct 10, 2006

deadpan and deadly.
It's strange when my willingness to suspend my disbelief is tested more by the hallway brawl than by any other element in the movie. And even then the cinematography is woven with such pure insanity that I enjoy the morbidity and fury anyways.

5/5

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

undue butt brutality is not a criminal offense
Oldboy convinced me that Cannibal Holocaust is for kids. This is - as said by so many others - a truly sick film. Dark, depressing, haunting and just plain gruesome. However, this movie left me with an intense emotional impact. Everything about the story is sad and depressing.

Heavy spoiler for those who has seen it: I did however find the villain's motivation a bit far fetched and thoroughly sick, but I guess that's part of the point.

Thumbs up for the hammer scene. Oh yes.

This is a 5/5

Toey
Jul 1, 2007
Wow.

Riveting and revolting at the same time.

Acting was excellent. The movie just pulled me in and wouldn't let me go.

Still trying to absorb this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Why do we like to watch action movies? Is it to live through a character's tribulations and feel vindication when they finally get their revenge? They say revenge is good for your health.

Oldboy explores the consequences of revenge. It explores it physically, with fantastic action scenes and some violence that will make you squirm. Serious Tarantino vibes. But it also explores it psychologically, what is the cost and what do you get out of it all? The ending almost reminds me of Come and See in that regard. But really it's echoing Oedipus. If you're familiar with Oedipus, you may see the ending ahead of time, but despite that it didn't ruin the movie for me at all.

You will be drawn in by the great acting, action, cinematography, and thrilling plot. You'll leave with an ending that won't be easy to forget.

5/5