Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SneakySneaks posted:

It's been years since I last read the things. I know one of the guys is on The Shining DVD Commentary (John Baxter) and he states his opinions in the special features as well. The best analysis of FMJ is actually the current blu-ray commentary (by Jay Cocks). Personally I think the best Kubrick essays are from other filmmakers. For Peckinpah read some of Elvis Mitchell and Roger Ebert movie reviews and commentary pieces. The blu-ray (dvd) commentary on The Wild Bunch is awesome if you like Peckinpah (look for Paul Seydor and Garner Simmons stuff too), also if you can find the dvd somewhere the Criterion Straw Dogs dvd has a great documentary on his life and a great commentary that takes an in depth look about Peckinpah's view of sexuality and masculinity.

Thanks! I'll check em out. I fortunate enough to have the Criterion Straw Dogs and I just want to go on the record and say that Stephen Prince's commentary is the gold standard of all commentaries. It is a true piece of scholarship and because of it I'm convinced Straw Dogs is one of the greatest American movies ever made. I've been meaning to start a thread about it for a while, especially since the remake is coming out soon, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

More information on Godzilla:

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/08/godzilla-makes-a-monsterous-stride-towards-a-ground-shaking-criterion-release.php

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Barnes & Noble doing a 40% off Criterion sale

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
ow, my wallet.

SLAVOMACEDONIAN
Jul 30, 2011

THEY CANT KEEP DOING THIS!

arrrgghghh.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Just save any money you would spend on this sale for the November sale.

I do not practice what I preach. :negative:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
This is why Borders went under yet Barnes & Noble is still around, isn't it?

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This is why Borders went under yet Barnes & Noble is still around, isn't it?

This, and the Nook certainly helped Barnes too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A lot of these are cheaper on Amazon at :20bux:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I think all Blu-rays might be 40% off for the time being, a sales rep mentioned it when I called there to ask about the Coen Bros. boxed set.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

SneakySneaks posted:

This, and the Nook certainly helped Barnes too.

Plus getting the rights to put Starbucks in their stores while Borders was stuck with Seattle's Best Coffee.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Robert Denby posted:

Plus getting the rights to put Starbucks in their stores while Borders was stuck with Seattle's Best Coffee.

Funny thing is Starbucks owns Seattle's Best.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I watched "The Music Room" today. My first impression after watching it was being a little let down. After the Apu trilogy, which I think may be one of the greatest trilogy of movies I've ever seen, and a true cinematic achievement, I kinda felt lukewarm to "The Music Room". As I spent the rest of the day thinking on it though (which for me is a great sign of a good movie, that I'm still thinking about it hours and days after having seen it) I really have to say I was impressed. I still don't think it's as good as "Apu", but it's a beautiful movie, well shot, well performed, and it appears to have struck a nerve for me at an emotional level.

Where's my Apu DVDs??? I also would love to see some more Ray released on Criterion.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
They were hinting at more Ray films all over the extras and in the booklet. It mentions the Music room is the first of a series of films they plan on restoring.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I didn't intend to get this many for the sale, but you know how it is.

Black Narcissus
Bigger Than Life
Ride with the Devil
Close-Up

I would have loved to get more, maybe The Darjeeling Limited, but I'm going to be living on a tighter budget come soon and I was pushing it as it was.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sorry if this has already been answered, but what are the differences between the the 1999 Criterion release of Diabolique and the 2011 Criterion release of Diabolique? I'm sure there's more besides the cover art.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Power of Pecota posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered, but what are the differences between the the 1999 Criterion release of Diabolique and the 2011 Criterion release of Diabolique? I'm sure there's more besides the cover art.

An improved transfer and a ton of bonus features. There is no reason to buy the older release unless you can get it for really cheap and just don't care.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

zandert33 posted:

An improved transfer and a ton of bonus features. There is no reason to buy the older release unless you can get it for really cheap and just don't care.

Also, if you order it directly from Amazon instead of a third party seller the new release is actually $5 cheaper.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Blu-ray confirmed what I was fearing. The Carlos release includes English subtitles only in the non-english parts.

"For the record, Criterion have provided optional English subtitles for the main feature. Unfortunately, they only appear when English isn't spoken, which is somewhat disappointing as many of the important characters in the film are not native English-speakers and have rather thick accents. "

I can't understand why Criterion does this on titles that feature multiple languages, like Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, seeing that all of their sole English releases all feature SDH.

Still, excellent title and a must-buy for me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I hate that so much. I have lovely hearing so I put subtitles on for just about every film I watch and it drives me up the wall when Criterion does this. Isn't it a legitimate issue for actual deaf people?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems to be something pretty much any English film with foreign language parts does - I remember it pissing me off with Inland Empire as well. I'm in the same boat as you, Magic Hate Ball, so this is a serious bummer.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Power of Pecota posted:

There's a new transfer (that isn't boosted) and a different translation.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews11/diabolique.htm

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 5, 2011

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hate that so much. I have lovely hearing so I put subtitles on for just about every film I watch and it drives me up the wall when Criterion does this. Isn't it a legitimate issue for actual deaf people?

As an Actual Deaf Person*, yes. I hate that poo poo.

*cochlear implant

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Thanks! I'll check em out. I fortunate enough to have the Criterion Straw Dogs and I just want to go on the record and say that Stephen Prince's commentary is the gold standard of all commentaries. It is a true piece of scholarship and because of it I'm convinced Straw Dogs is one of the greatest American movies ever made. I've been meaning to start a thread about it for a while, especially since the remake is coming out soon, but just haven't gotten around to it.

I have the Criterion Straw Dogs too, and now I need to find time to watch this!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

azechiel posted:

I have the Criterion Straw Dogs too, and now I need to find time to watch this!

Hey there OOP buddy! I hope you enjoy it. If you have time check out the documentary on the second disc if you haven't already.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Blind bought Aki Kaurismäki's Proletariat Trilogy today, mostly on the strength of this Ebert review and it's price (got a used copy for pretty cheap). Anybody else own this one? I'm not really sure what to expect from the other two movies included.

Also I finally got around to watching F For Fake, which was a trippy, really fun movie that had a lot to say about authorship and authenticity, but didn't take itself seriously at all. It's a lot more enjoyable than a typical documentary about an art forger would have been (just look at the one on the second disc - or better yet, just watch One-Man Band twice). Is there anything else like it out there?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

barkingclam posted:

Blind bought Aki Kaurismäki's Proletariat Trilogy today, mostly on the strength of this Ebert review and it's price (got a used copy for pretty cheap). Anybody else own this one? I'm not really sure what to expect from the other two movies included.

I have it, but I was a fan long before that set came out. I'd feel iffy about recommending Kaurismaki as a blind buy, but since you already took the plunge... I hope you enjoy!

barkingclam posted:

Also I finally got around to watching F For Fake, which was a trippy, really fun movie that had a lot to say about authorship and authenticity, but didn't take itself seriously at all. It's a lot more enjoyable than a typical documentary about an art forger would have been (just look at the one on the second disc - or better yet, just watch One-Man Band twice). Is there anything else like it out there?

Thematically, My Kid Could Paint That and Exit Through the Gift Shop are both interesting works on art and authorship. Stylistically, Sherman's March and Symbiopsychotaxiplasm are similarly offbeat approaches to the documentary form.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

FitFortDanga posted:

Stylistically, Sherman's March

Not only is it stylistically similar to F for Fake, it's also one of the best documentaries ever made.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

barkingclam posted:

All three play in the same "deadpan Finnish quiet desperation comedy" milieu, but Shadows in Paradise and Ariel are both quite a bit lighter than Match Factory Girl, which is comedy so black you need a xenon lamp and the light of a supernova to see by. Ariel's probably the weakest of the three, by virtue of it being the most straightforward (and self-consciously quirky), plus Kati Outinen's not in it. As the hypermorose anchor of the other two, she's indescribably awesome.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Criminal Minded posted:

As an Actual Deaf Person*, yes. I hate that poo poo.

*cochlear implant

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds, that they're not providing subtitles. What the gently caress? This isn't a niggling complaint like the windowboxing on some of their DVD releases, either, this is a major issue.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it sounds, that they're not providing subtitles. What the gently caress? This isn't a niggling complaint like the windowboxing on some of their DVD releases, either, this is a major issue.

I've written to Mulvaney complaining about this. Let's see if he replies.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Just a heads-up for anyone who isn't following Criterion on Facebook, they've announced that there will be a flash sale when they hit 75,000 fans. They're only a few hundred away now, so it will probably be pretty soon. (Sooner if you like their page. (So do it.))

On an unrelated subject: DVDBeaver's spreadsheet of supplements for the new Solaris release kind of confused me. Do the DVD and Blu-ray versions have the same supplements, or does the Blu-ray have more?

EDIT: VVVVV haHA

Aorist fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 8, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

They rarely end up much cheaper than other online merchants, but Criterion are having a sale once they hit 75,000 likes on Facebook.

And the UK release of Carlos is lacking subtitles for the English as well.

edit: Damnit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The sale's up, we've got about twenty hours.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

50% off is nice, but it's not nice when shipping to Canada is 20 dollars when all you want is two things :(

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's not much better with 3.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thanks and drat you. Bought Pale Flower, High and Low, and The Killing. Free shipping, woo!

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Doesn't work on preorders, in case anyone's wondering.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Aaargh, this is so tempting. Basic necessities...or Chungking Express? Life is so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

frumpsnake posted:

It's not much better with 3.

Yeah, I always ignore these sales since the ultimate price difference between Criterion and Amazon.ca/HMV in-store is negligible, and if I'm not impatient will just wait for B&N sales which have much more reasonable shipping rates.