Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Radio Spiricom posted:

link. i need. now.

nvm found it http://wexarts.org/film-video/restoration-criterion-collection

there's a deep irony that it's being confirmed at a place named after leslie wexner, but hey! its the best chinese language movie of the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

There is also this
was gonna go see it at film forum but that's just the dcp resto so i'll wait for this

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If they can fix the audio issues with Chimes at Midnight then it will be a Christmas miracle.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Speaking of theatrical re-releases Janus did, whatever happened to Nagisa Oshima's "Boy"?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

quote:

The festival will also screen Orson Welles’s Chimes at Midnight, from Janus Films (coming from Criterion in 2016).

:jackbud:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I've been waiting for Chimes at Midnight from Criterion for well over a decade now. I almost don't believe it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

kaujot posted:

I've been waiting for Chimes at Midnight from Criterion for well over a decade now. I almost don't believe it.

I don't believe anything concerning Welles releases unless I see the cover and a list of features. Where's Othello?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd hope they don't put out Othello until they restore Filming Othello. Barring the unfinished and unreleased work like The Other Side of the Wind, Filming Othello is in the absolute worst condition of all of Welles' movies.

Filming Othello was the last movie Welles directed and finished too, so it deserves the respect of a proper release.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I was excited enough about A Brighter Summer Day, but Chimes at MIdnight? :swoon:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I don't know any of these movies! Can someone tell me what's so great about them?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Unmature posted:

I don't know any of these movies! Can someone tell me what's so great about them?

Chimes at Midnight is on youtube, go watch it

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Unmature posted:

I still don't know what to make of Seconds but Manchurian Candidate is a great thriller that's held up incredibly well over the years.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Manchurian Candidate has Angela Lansbury giving her best performance. It's worth watching just for that, though the rest of the film is really good as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ You forgot Frank Sinatra in one of his best roles.

Cacator posted:

I still don't know what to make of Seconds but Manchurian Candidate is a great thriller that's held up incredibly well over the years.

The Manchurian Candidate is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful movie I've ever seen in my life. Solitaire?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Unmature posted:

a brighter summer day is a taiwanese new wave movie from 1991 directed by edward yang (he of yi yi, which you should watch if you haven't) it's ridiculously ambitious in scope: it's a coming of age movie, a paranoia thriller, a small town drama, a family drama, a gang crime tragedy, and a memory movie all told through the socio-political lens of 1960s taiwan over the course of 3 hours and 57 minutes. it's notoriously difficult to see--in part because of its length--but it only made its theatrical us premiere four years ago at the film society of lincoln center in new york city, it's never been released on home media in the west (like most of yang's movies), and i don't even know whether it's been restored for home media in taiwan as basically the only version floating around on torrent trackers looks like a vhs rip with hard subs that murder the screen space.

chimes at midnight is orson welles insane attempt to reinterpret the minor character of sir john falstaff from several of shakespeare's plays into one narrative film. it's probably welles most deeply personal film and one big metaphor for his whole career. it doesn't work at all on a formal level really but it works on such a nakedly emotional level that it's hard to fault. it was also never released on home media.

also do i really need to explain the manchurian candidate to you

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Any word if Criterion will be releasing Welles' The Trail? I caught a (what I remembering being a new) restoration of it at an art house theater this summer, so thought something might be in the works.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Radio Spiricom posted:

a brighter summer day is a taiwanese new wave movie from 1991 directed by edward yang (he of yi yi, which you should watch if you haven't)

Oooh, that's enough for me! Will definitely check it out when it hits.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love films with cool visual stuff going on in them, is Tati a director I should start getting into? Playtime shows up on a lot of "visually impressive films" list, but I'm not sure I've read much about his other work.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Tati is kind of an acquired taste. I feel like "Playtime" is a movie that absolutely has to be seen in a theater; the many gags and visual layers just don't come across on a television. On video you feel like you're just watching some kind of video instillation.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I love films with cool visual stuff going on in them, is Tati a director I should start getting into? Playtime shows up on a lot of "visually impressive films" list, but I'm not sure I've read much about his other work.

visually impressive is such a vague qualification. playtime is visually impressive but so are westerns and epics and michelangelo antonioni movies and pedro costa movies and michael mann movies and so on. it's visually impressive in that, as above, it needs to be seen as large as possible (preferably 70mm but i suppose a blowup or dcp would work fine too) mostly because there is almost always constantly movement in just about every portion of the frame that is, yes, typically a sight gag.

playtime is sort of a break from the movies that precede it (jour de fete, les vacances de monsieur hulot, and mon oncle) in that those are more typical physical comedies aligned with say, keaton, chaplin, and lloyd. they're all pretty slight but have some really great gags and sense of timing. they're super fun and whimsical. but they're absolutely necessary for understanding what he does with playtime. mon oncle makes its thematic concerns about modernity abundantly clear but not to the degree that playtime does. playtime is his most ambitious undertaking and one of the defining works of 20th century cinema. it also bankrupted him and basically lead to his death. the movies that follow it, trafic and parade are definitely in "fans only" territory. they're nice and included in the criterion tati set but aren't necessary viewing.

anyway, i would say that if you have a taste for physical comedy then tati is the best of the best, but don't start with playtime.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 2, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radio Spiricom posted:

visually impressive is such a vague qualification...

Yea I watch and enjoy a ton of movies including westerns, Antonioni, and many many more. If there's something visually interesting about the movie there's a good chance I'll like it.

It actually sounds like Tati may not be my thing though only because I'm not all that into physical comedy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tati isn't visually lush in the way that, say, Malick is, but the freneticness of some of Playtime's and Mon Oncle's scenes is really something to behold. It's like watching 3-5 different dances going on at once that somehow don't collide and crash, but you keep anticipating that they do. Until it does, I guess.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

also do i really need to explain the manchurian candidate to you

Ok I know that one. Love me some Denzel.

EDIT: Ordered The Complete Jacques Tati on Black Friday from B&N and just received it today. Should I just watch them in order or is there a best way to get into Tati? I've never seen a film of his (unless you count The Illusionist). Watching Jour de Fete now.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 3, 2015

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Radio Spiricom posted:

a brighter summer day
[..]
the only version floating around on torrent trackers looks like a vhs rip with hard subs that murder the screen space.

I remember watching this some 15 years ago and was completely blown away, can't imagine how it'll be in proper format!
Best movie related news of the century

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

Unmature posted:

Ok I know that one. Love me some Denzel.

EDIT: Ordered The Complete Jacques Tati on Black Friday from B&N and just received it today. Should I just watch them in order or is there a best way to get into Tati? I've never seen a film of his (unless you count The Illusionist). Watching Jour de Fete now.

Watch in order– up through Playtime, they very much build on each other in complexity and scale.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I would have liked Hidden Fortress a lot more if the woman playing the Princess didn't sound like she was yelling harshly at everyone all the time, even when she was thanking them for their compassion. Like, geez, that's a voice reserved for like an emotional breakdown or verbal lashing, not casual conversation. I was grateful that she was playing a deaf/mute for most of the movie.

That grated on me too, but I've heard from some people that it's sort of a joke at the expense of the royal class- she's so prim and proper that she cannot properly express emotion even when saying little things like "I like the way that armor looks on you."

There's a definite subtext in Kurosawa's Samurai films that the whole caste system that society revolves around- and that Japan kinda idolizes- is total bullshit.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I watch and enjoy a ton of movies including westerns, Antonioni, and many many more. If there's something visually interesting about the movie there's a good chance I'll like it.

It actually sounds like Tati may not be my thing though only because I'm not all that into physical comedy.

well if you like the way that antonioni uses composition and framing to communicate the alienation and isolation inherent in modern life, especially in something like red desert (with which playtime shares a similarly drab color palette and setting) then you'll probably like playtime because that's also one of its strengths. additionally, they both have a pretty similar approach to sound design, if you ask me

but honestly, you should probably watch it and the few movies that precede it if you're interested! the worst that happens is that you've spent a few hours of your life and potentially some money on something which, while you may not have enjoyed it, is still enriching :shrug:

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 4, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radio Spiricom posted:

but honestly, you should probably watch it and the few movies that precede it if you're interested! the worst that happens is that you've spent a few hours of your life and potentially some money on something which, while you may not have enjoyed it, is still enriching :shrug:

I would watch them today if I could get them free on hulu, but if I'm going to spend money on them I figure why not go all the way and buy them during the B&N sale. I ended up deciding against it though, maybe next year.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I just realized that Criterion doesn't have any Miklós Jancsó films. I would kill for a blu ray release of The Red and the White.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

My library has all of the Jacques Demy movies (which is shocking to me) and I've already seen and loved Umbrellas and Donkey Skin. What other ones are worth watching in that set?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
All of them rule.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Costco-exclusive box sets The Rock Box and Classic Hitchcock are up for preorder on Criterion's website for Dec. 15 release.

The Rock Box includes A Hard Day's Night, Monterey Pop, Gimme Shelter, and Quadrophenia.
Classic Hitchcock includes The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934), The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, and Foreign Correspondent.

It's worth noting the box sets include the existing Blu-Rays, but the MSRP is 40% less than buying the films separately.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Unmature posted:

they suck don't waste your time

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Any word if Criterion will be releasing Welles' The Trail? I caught a (what I remembering being a new) restoration of it at an art house theater this summer, so thought something might be in the works.

StudioCanal owns worldwide rights, but it's technically public domain in the US. Milestone's DVD is the only halfway decent DVD in the US and it was cobbled together from 16mm and 35mm. Kino Lorber had announced a Blu-Ray, but ended up cancelling it.

The French Blu-Ray looks very good, but it has French opening titles and has bad digitally generated credits over the closing shot.

Basically, Criterion would have to go through StudioCanal, but Lionsgate has all US rights to their catalog and refuses to sublicense*. They were only able to release the Jacques Tati films because Criterion licensed the films themselves from Tati's estate and only the video masters from StudioCanal, thus not having to go through Lionsgate for any rights. However, the films actually owned by StudioCanal would have to be licensed from Lionsgate.

I wouldn't be surprised if StudioCanal is just waiting for Lionsgate's exclusivity period to expire. Lionsgate, when it was Artisan, pulled the same poo poo with the Republic Pictures library. As soon as that contract expired, Paramount licensed the library to Olive Films and they've released over a hundred Blu-Rays within the last three years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

The Costco-exclusive box sets The Rock Box and Classic Hitchcock are up for preorder on Criterion's website for Dec. 15 release.

The Rock Box includes A Hard Day's Night, Monterey Pop, Gimme Shelter, and Quadrophenia.
Classic Hitchcock includes The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934), The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, and Foreign Correspondent.

It's worth noting the box sets include the existing Blu-Rays, but the MSRP is 40% less than buying the films separately.

Got my hopes up that this was the Cage/Connery flick.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

cryme posted:

they suck don't waste your time

Hey, great post.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
there's more where that came from friendo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Got my hopes up that this was the Cage/Connery flick.

Criterion's DVD release of The Rock still looks pretty good today at least.

Maybe we'll get that Blu upgrade one day...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just watched Ikiru (:smith:), and man, Kurosawa really needs to stop having his actresses shriek. I think it's something I've noticed in every Kurosawa I've seen, that women just absolutely make this noise that sound like nails on chalkboard, whether or not they're crying out, laughing, or whatever the hell was going on in The Hidden Fortress.

On Ikiru itself, god what a beautiful movie. Not uh, not a good movie if you're feeling blue and want to feel hopeful, especially in the second half when I just started to feel downright angry, but definitely one worth watching if you're emotionally prepared for it. It was probably less subtle about what the director thinks about bureaucracy than Brazil was, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I have to admit, that shrieking thing really dinged my enjoyment of Hidden Fortress.