Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I wish I liked Chaplin more, that's got to be really exciting news for fans. The only one I would maybe buy is The Circus and even then I'd probably just rent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

sethsez posted:

My Best Buy has a whole shelf full of Criterions separate from all the other movies with a great big Criterion banner over it. I guess it depends on the area.

It must be a regional thing then. The one by my dad doesn't have a criterion section either, but they do have an entire kick-rear end bollywood section.

:sigh: I wish I had a Best Buy near me that wasn't lame. How much do they typically charge for Criterions?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

LightsGameraAction posted:

It must be a regional thing then. The one by my dad doesn't have a criterion section either, but they do have an entire kick-rear end bollywood section.

:sigh: I wish I had a Best Buy near me that wasn't lame. How much do they typically charge for Criterions?

It's generally $20-25 for single discs, $30 for double discs. Not the best, but at least it's not MSRP.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has a bunch of $39.99 MSRP Criterion DVDs on sale right now for $15.99...

If....
The Third Man (DVD and Blu!)
M
8 1/2
Peeping Tom
Bicycle Thieves
The 39 Steps
A Canterbury Tale
The Man Who Fell to Earth (DVD and Blu!)
L'Eclisse
49th Parallel
The Lady Vanishes
The Tin Drum
I Know Where I'm Going
L'Avventura
Black Narcissus
Amarcord
A Night to Remember
Lord of the Flies
Pandora's Box
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
La Strada
Overlord
The Ruling Class
The Tales of Hoffman
The Browning Version
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Great Expectations
Green for Danger
Naked
Brief Encounter
Billy Liar
Mona Lisa
The Red Shoes
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Threepenny Opera
Oliver Twist
Salvatore Giuliano
Jubilee
Mamma Roma
Henry V
Divorce Italian Style
The Small Black Room
This Sporting Life

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 4, 2009

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I hate that all these sales are going on cuz I haven't seen anything on sale I really really want..

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
God drat it why couldn't these sales have happened last summer when I was full of expendable cash? Oh well, I can't really complain - I still cleaned up last summer with Deep Discount's 2-for-1 on Criterions. That was a wonderful thing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, The Leopard is $29.99 and Le Samourai is $18.99.

It's apparently an "indie DVD" sale.

Also, looks like the B&N sale ends in about 2 1/2 hours.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 4, 2009

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, The Leopard is $29.99 and Le Samourai is $18.99.

It's apparently an "indie DVD" sale.

Everybody should buy both of these movies because they loving rule, by the way. My goal in life is to get as many people as possible to see The Leopard and I won't stop until everybody I know has. :colbert:

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, your best buy actually stocks criterions? All the ones around me only stock the more well known recent stuff like Benjamin Button and Life Aquatic.

My best buy has a few criterions but not many; it'd be a mighty gamble on whether or not they'd get it in store. I may see if I can do ship-to-store or something funny like that, but I'm still just not quite sure.

Also, can't wait for Modern Times and City Lights.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

Everybody should buy both of these movies because they loving rule, by the way. My goal in life is to get as many people as possible to see The Leopard and I won't stop until everybody I know has. :colbert:

This reminds me, I need to get back to watching some Visconti.

As for the Chaplin I really wonder how Criterion's going to handle those. It seems like a lot of stuff and spreading them out like they do other directors probably wouldn't be as good a move.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This reminds me, I need to get back to watching some Visconti.

As for the Chaplin I really wonder how Criterion's going to handle those. It seems like a lot of stuff and spreading them out like they do other directors probably wouldn't be as good a move.

I'd imagine Modern Times and City Lights getting independent releases at least, but most of the others getting thrown together either in a box set or eclipse series or both.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I'd imagine Modern Times and City Lights getting independent releases at least, but most of the others getting thrown together either in a box set or eclipse series or both.

If Eclipse gives me some nice collections of poo poo like One A.M. and The Rink I'll suck their dicks off.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I was at a barnes the other day and this kid who was no older than 15 or 16 bought something like 900 dollars worth of criterions. Either he has an awesome job or his parents hooked him up. Needless to say I was jealous.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

soggybagel posted:

I was at a barnes the other day and this kid who was no older than 15 or 16 bought something like 900 dollars worth of criterions. Either he has an awesome job or his parents hooked him up. Needless to say I was jealous.

Then again he probably has no life.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Probably gonna sell them on ebay at a few bucks below MSRP and make bank off of stupid people.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

If Eclipse gives me some nice collections of poo poo like One A.M. and The Rink I'll suck their dicks off.

Get the 90th Anniversary 4-disc set of Mutual shorts from Image/Blackhawk. All 12 films are restored and remastered with orchestral scores. Plus it has some documentaries.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Best Buy store inventories vary based on perceived clientele. The chain classifies stores based on a name of a man and a woman that dictates inventory, security, fixtures, promos, etc. "Customer Centriciity" The Best Buy in Danvers, MA, for example was classified as "Barry" (at least when I worked there). Barry was decidedly high end so you'd see several Criterions on shelf, sometimes in place of standard editions (ie Videodrome was only available as the Criterion when I was buying). I don't remember if there was a separate Criterion set, however. Mind you this was 4 years ago so things may have changed. Criterion DVDs, because of their higher MSRP, were a little against Best Buys loss leader strategy to get people in store; hence you can find Criterions in store but I bet it's the mainstream or really popular titles. B&N probably has a bigger catalog (though B&N apparently has fewer copies of each in store)

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Probably gonna sell them on ebay at a few bucks below MSRP and make bank off of stupid people.

I bet you are right. The kid may keep a couple himself, but the senario sounds like classic Ebay bait

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

LaptopGun posted:

I bet you are right. The kid may keep a couple himself, but the senario sounds like classic Ebay bait
I don't really get the scam here. He waits for them to go out of print and then eBays them?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Frontalot posted:

I don't really get the scam here. He waits for them to go out of print and then eBays them?

There's no scam, they sell for higher on ebay because people don't know they can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd make a good bit of money picking up OOP or exclusive DVDs. Found Meet Joe Black Ultimate Edition at a supermarket for $9 and got $40 on Amazon. $9 for The Blues Brothers, then $40 because it went OOP. Two weeks later, the $16.99 special edition came out. :smugdog:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wow, that's ugly.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

What the gently caress is this "CRAZY EIGHTS" on my avatar, and who gave it to me?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FitFortDanga posted:

What the gently caress is this "CRAZY EIGHTS" on my avatar, and who gave it to me?

It's a "gang tag" of some sort. Different subforums seem to have different tags. You're the first one I've noticed with a movie related tag.

EDIT--

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2188

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 5, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

InfiniteZero posted:

It's a "gang tag" of some sort. Different subforums seem to have different tags. You're the first one I've noticed with a movie related tag.

EDIT--

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2188

Oh well that's okay then. I just didn't want it to be some kind of secret code for "this poster is a moron".

Now watch, someone is going to buy me a "this poster is a moron" avatar.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Wow, that's ugly.

Jesus. Even if I liked the movie that would be a tough sell.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
I actually like the Picasso-esque image fine but that font does not work on that cover at all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

At least it's not comic sans.

Has anyone picked up any Criterions from the Amazon sale? They're starting to go back up in price (most of the $15 titles are now $16). I went ahead and got Green for Danger, La Strada, If...., Bicycle Thieves, The Lady Vanishes, Peeping Tom, and Pandora's Box. Between it being on the store card and the scheduled ship date being the first week of Sept., it won't even get charged for a month. :smug:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

At least it's not comic sans.

Has anyone picked up any Criterions from the Amazon sale? They're starting to go back up in price (most of the $15 titles are now $16). I went ahead and got Green for Danger, La Strada, If...., Bicycle Thieves, The Lady Vanishes, Peeping Tom, and Pandora's Box. Between it being on the store card and the scheduled ship date being the first week of Sept., it won't even get charged for a month. :smug:

This is a great sale. It's not just Criterions.

Lots of MGM "World Films" titles (Fellini, Zhang, Kurosawa, etc)
Lots of Animeigo titles (including one of my all-time favorites Revenge of a Kabuki Actor)
Jodorowski box $22.99
Herzog boxes $38.49 each
Bava boxes $22.99 each
Zatoichi collector's box $56.49
La Dolce Vita deluxe collector's edition $31.99
tons more

Full list of titles here

I picked up The Bothersome Man which I was planning to buy anyway... for $11.99 it's a sweet deal.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

This is a great sale. It's not just Criterions.

Lots of MGM "World Films" titles (Fellini, Zhang, Kurosawa, etc)
Lots of Animeigo titles (including one of my all-time favorites Revenge of a Kabuki Actor)
Jodorowski box $22.99
Herzog boxes $38.49 each
Bava boxes $22.99 each
Zatoichi collector's box $56.49
La Dolce Vita deluxe collector's edition $31.99
tons more

Full list of titles here

I picked up The Bothersome Man which I was planning to buy anyway... for $11.99 it's a sweet deal.

I'd like to pick up some Herzog films since I haven't seen ANYTHING from him, but I sort of wonder if BluRays are likely considering Anchor Bay's selections. Got a ton of his films on my Netflix queue anyways. I'm really only picky on renting vs. buying if it's something Netflix will send out as a lovely Westlake disc.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd like to pick up some Herzog films since I haven't seen ANYTHING from him, but I sort of wonder if BluRays are likely considering Anchor Bay's selections. Got a ton of his films on my Netflix queue anyways. I'm really only picky on renting vs. buying if it's something Netflix will send out as a lovely Westlake disc.
I'm pretty sure Fitzcarraldo's still on Youtube Movies or whatever it's called. It's the German dub, but it's still seeing Herzog going Quixote.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

drat, after spending a lot of money in Barnes and Noble in the past weeks, I couldn't resist and got Pandora's Box and If....

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

I've had those Herzog boxsets on my wish list since they came out, at this point I might as well wait for some BluRays. Then again I doubt I'll be able to get all 13 or so movies for $80.

argh, ordering now.

The rest of that sale is incredible, pretty much every foreign film they carry is going for half price.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Alright, aesthetics question for you guys who are surely as ocd as I am...

I bought a new bookshelf today and reorganized my Criterion section, as you can see here:

http://www.gamersrage.com/taso/criterion.jpg

Do you guys think I should move the Bergman dvd/vhs stuff to be down by the two Bergman books, or leave them up top (where they rightfully belong :colbert:)?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

zeroordie posted:

Do you guys think I should move the Bergman dvd/vhs stuff to be down by the two Bergman books, or leave them up top (where they rightfully belong :colbert:)?

I like it how it is. I would, however, have the rest of your Criterions in spine number order.

Also, Jesus Christ, I thought I owned too many Criterions...

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Wait, does The Life Aquatic come with a sleeve like Tenenbaums does? I picked mine up used and it doesn't have one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Only the 2-disc edition of The Life Aquatic has a slipcover (since the cover art is in the usual Eric Chase Anderson drawing style). The 1-disc edition has a reversible cover, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I fully support director order over spine order. But gah, you should put Saraband in its proper chronological order. I know it's technically a "sequel" to SfaM, but that's how *I* do it :colbert:

I had a hell of a time deciding where to put the MGM box. My shelving situation is kind of hosed up, so right now it's currently sandwiched between Magic Flute and Autumn Sonata because that's where it fit the best. But now I think I'll move it to the end like you did.

How's that Faithless disc? I'm not too fond of the movie, but as a Bergman guy I'm starting to think I should own it.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Wait, does The Life Aquatic come with a sleeve like Tenenbaums does? I picked mine up used and it doesn't have one.

It's not on the reverse?

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
Is the Martha Graham set worth getting?

CinnamonToastFunk fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Fred Breakfast posted:

It's not on the reverse?
It's the illustrated two disk one. I guess Hastings just tossed it.