Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Egbert Souse posted:

Anyone interested in my used Criterion DVDs:
8 1/2, M (2-disc), By Brakhage, The Third Man (2-disc), Breathless, Seven Samurai (3-disc)

I'd like to aim for $15 shipped each, except $28 for The Third Man (so I can ship FedEx), and $20 for Seven Samurai. The latter three are in excellent condition, while the first three are kind of old (8 1/2 was my first Criterion).

(The proceeds will go to my cats' annual vet checkup which is this month :3: )

I'd be willing to take Breathless and Seven Samurai off of your hands, if you are willing to sell them to me. I have Paypal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Anyone interested in my used Criterion DVDs:
8 1/2, M (2-disc), By Brakhage, The Third Man (2-disc), Breathless, Seven Samurai (3-disc)

I'd like to aim for $15 shipped each, except $28 for The Third Man (so I can ship FedEx), and $20 for Seven Samurai. The latter three are in excellent condition, while the first three are kind of old (8 1/2 was my first Criterion).

(The proceeds will go to my cats' annual vet checkup which is this month :3: )

I'll take The Third Man. I can send Paypal or whatever. Send me an email at jrich4yd at gmail.com

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVD Beaver has a Paths of Glory comparison up. I like how everyone putting up caps gets the same shot of Timothy Carey (which is one of the best shots in the film).

Darth Dukakis posted:

I'll take The Third Man. I can send Paypal or whatever. Send me an email at jrich4yd at gmail.com

Twin Cinema posted:

I'd be willing to take Breathless and Seven Samurai off of your hands, if you are willing to sell them to me. I have Paypal.

Awesome, thanks. I'll get your stuff set up.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

DVD Beaver has a Paths of Glory comparison up.

Looks like a terrific upgrade, can't wait to see it.

Just got notification that Darjeeling Limited and Magician have been shipped :woop:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Origami Dali posted:

Official date for the 50% Criterion sale at BN is Nov. 1st and it ends on Nov. 21st. Just in time for Night of the Hunter.

Sorry, pretty out of the loop here, but does this sale apply to website purchases or just in-store?

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
The last one applied online as well, and also if you preordered something that wasn't out yet, you'd still get the sale price when it finally showed up. So I plan to order the BBS boxset during the sale, even though it doesn't come out until the 23rd (I think).

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Any Canadians here take advantage of the Barnes & Noble sale? I'm worried that shipping costs would negate the savings.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Safe Driver posted:

Any Canadians here take advantage of the Barnes & Noble sale? I'm worried that shipping costs would negate the savings.

I did in the last one and though the shipping wasn't cheap, it was less than other American stores (like DeepDiscount) and the savings were great enough that I still saved plenty.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Safe Driver posted:

I've bought from a couple. Shipping is like $8 or something, and you save ~$20 per DVD/Blu you get so I'd say it's worth it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New announcements today, yes? I've got my fingers crossed for a belated Fanny & Alexander.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Safe Driver posted:

shipping costs certainly did not negate the savings... i believe i made 4 orders from their summer sale.. everything went smoothly, and the extra in shipping costs didn't change the fact that we're still savinga bundle from the sale itself. i'm countin down the days until november 1st

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

New announcements today, yes?

It should be. I've got a lot going on today, I might miss the announcement. But I'm sure someone else will post it if I don't.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Hate doing this, but I have to sell my Fanny & Alexander boxset. Hoping to get $35 shipped. It's in very good condition, even the box itself.
Also, Truffaut's The Last Metro Bluray for $15 shipped if anyone wants it. Never been played since I don't have a bluray player. $45 shipped for both if anyone wants them together. Just PM me.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Thanks guys, can't wait! Better start counting my pennies. :dance:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

It should be. I've got a lot going on today, I might miss the announcement. But I'm sure someone else will post it if I don't.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Army of Shadows (Blu)
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (Blu)
Shock Corridor (Blu and SE DVD)
The Naked Kiss (Blu and SE DVD)
Broadcast News (Blu and DVD)

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Egbert Souse posted:

Army of Shadows (Blu)

:woop::dance::woop:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Army of Shadows (Blu)
Shock Corridor (Blu and SE DVD)
The Naked Kiss (Blu and SE DVD)
Broadcast News (Blu and DVD)

All except Army of Shadows were predicted by folks at cf.org for this announcement. And all (except maybe Army of Shadows) are a pass for me.

Pretty weak month if you ask me, 80% reissues. No Eclipse?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nothing is showing up as "coming soon" on the DVD-only or Eclipse pages, so there may be more.

edit: Just updated. Eclipse is Basil Dearden’s London Underground with Sapphire, The League of Gentlemen, Victim, and All Night Long.

I just saw Army of Shadows last weekend. GREAT movie. I'm going to have to check out more Melville. Le Samourai was excellent, too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eclipse: Basil Dearden's London Underground (Sapphire, The League of Gentlemen, Victim, All Night Long)

Worth a look anyway. League of Gentlemen is fun, haven't seen the others yet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm surprised Mr. Hulot's Holiday is taking this long, but my guess is that they're waiting so that they can release it along with Jour de Fete and Mon Oncle.

Also, CF.org crashed. :haw:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Broadcast News

As usual, good unique cover art, the movie is kinda bland though. It doesn't seem like the type of thing I'd want to spend $30 or something on... unless I was William Hurt or something.

In similar types of movies, I saw Shattered Glass yesterday. It was pretty decent as well as being considerably less bland.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, CF.org crashed. :haw:

They've been crashing a lot lately.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I noticed Criterion hasn't announced any DVD-only releases since the von Sternberg box and L'Enfance Nue (both from August), besides Eclipse sets. This seems to be good for some films like the two Sam Fuller SEs, but I hope they're not holding back titles over sales concerns.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse posted:

Ugh whyyyy is this necessary

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

Eclipse: Basil Dearden's London Underground (Sapphire, The League of Gentlemen, Victim, All Night Long)

Worth a look anyway. League of Gentlemen is fun, haven't seen the others yet.

Victim is pretty fascinating and surprisingly ahead of its time.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

doctor thodt posted:

Egbert Souse posted:

Ugh whyyyy is this necessary

either the original sold really well, or they have great source materials for it, or they're about to lose the rights, or some combination of those probably!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

gently caress yes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is awesome, lighten up you stodgy whiners. It'll look fantastic on Blu-Ray, the colors are so vivid.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

penismightier posted:

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is awesome, lighten up you stodgy whiners. It'll look fantastic on Blu-Ray, the colors are so vivid.

I agree. I have the DVD and I think it's a must have for fans of classic sci-fi.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Seven Samurai is gorgeous on BD but I noticed the Dolby Surround audio track shows on my receiver as stereo, or the same as the mono track (which also comes up as stereo), is this a bug or something?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I thought Seven Samurai only had a mono track and a stereo track.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I thought so too, but there's a menu option for "Dolby Surround Soundtrack"

Edit: I guess it implies the second audio track, which outputs mono to the left and right channels rather than just from the center channels, although the HD audio light doesn't come on on my receiver.

Either way, this is an absolutely beautiful transfer. You can tell that it's Criterion's favourite film to remaster and play around with, for a 56 year old film it looks like it was created yesterday in glourious Bluray.

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 21, 2010

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Also, I don't know how the hell this happened, but Amazon shipped Hausu to me and it'll be here tomorrow, 5 days before its release date. :confused:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I wish Criterion would put all their DVD covers up on the store and sell them as posters.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I watched The Magician this morning projected through a decent system at school. One hell of a transfer. Occasional dirt, but for the most part it was a bit overwhelming to the see film looking so pristine.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

got dat wmd posted:

Also, I don't know how the hell this happened, but Amazon shipped Hausu to me and it'll be here tomorrow, 5 days before its release date. :confused:
I guess you're just lucky! They didn't ship it early for me :(. Has this ever happened to you before?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Can't say it's ever happened before, guess I am just lucky! Woo

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Egbert Souse posted:

DVD Beaver has a Paths of Glory comparison up. I like how everyone putting up caps gets the same shot of Timothy Carey (which is one of the best shots in the film).

Awesome, thanks. I'll get your stuff set up.

Hey, I didn't give you an e-mail, so I was wondering what the status on this was? I only ask because I am pretty close to buying Breathless on Blu-Ray, but I still have the intention of buying this instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

Hey, I didn't give you an e-mail, so I was wondering what the status on this was? I only ask because I am pretty close to buying Breathless on Blu-Ray, but I still have the intention of buying this instead.

I've been extremely busy with work and I'd rather not get any Paypal stuff confirmed unless I know I can get a package out the same day. If you have your eyes on the BluRay, you're better off saving the money for that. Especially with the B&N sale coming up.