Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

bonzibuddy64 posted:

My bedroom.. Kind of underwhelming

Surprise surprise, a thief lives in a jail cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Surprise surprise, a thief lives in a jail cell.

What did he do? I just saw his meltdown in the steam gift thing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What did he do? I just saw his meltdown in the steam gift thing.

You can click on a user's Rap Sheet link to find out about that kind of thing. He hosed up in SA-Mart.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
n/m, posting in other thread

gvibes fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 17, 2015

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I have a problem with my entertainment center.

I have a Samsung UN55D6000, a Sony HTCT260, some random Philips blu ray player and an ATT Uverse remote.

What's the best universal remote that can actually take over all of this poo poo? If I could squish all of those into one remote, it'd be great.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

zfleeman posted:

I have a Samsung UN55D6000, a Sony HTCT260, some random Philips blu ray player and an ATT Uverse remote.

What's the best universal remote that can actually take over all of this poo poo? If I could squish all of those into one remote, it'd be great.

Harmony One is pretty ok. I use a Universal Remote MX-810 and enjoy it, although the software isn't very polished. Still better than the logitech stuff, in that you don't have to have an account to open it. I have it setup for my 360, LG TV, Yamaha receiver, and HTPC. Works great.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I use a Logitech Harmony 650 because it's $60. I don't think I have an account to use it, don't remember that at all.

Anywho, it controls my Samsung TV, Sony Blueray player, fios cable box, and denon receiver. My wife hates it because it can't read her mind, but I think it does everything as reasonable as possible.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
If you want the best cheap remote, sony vlz620 for $25. Just takes a while to program. Or pay double on eBay and get a harmony 650 new.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

The Dave posted:

That looks like a relatively young house and dry wall? Even if you're renting it would probably take a relatively small hole to drill thrown and drop wire behind, then drill again at the bottom of the wall.

Yeah, it's brand new. I'm not against drilling into the walls, but I'm not sure of the structure. They're very thin walls...too thin to be built on 2x4s, so I'm not sure. It may just be steel framing back there. The ceiling is concrete, so I wouldn't be mounting anything to that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Dave posted:

I use a Logitech Harmony 650 because it's $60. I don't think I have an account to use it, don't remember that at all.

The last time I used the Harmony software, it required an account and an online connection in order to start it up. That may have changed? It's been like six months or so since I setup my father in law's One.

Anyway I love recommending that MX-810 because it's so loving durable and easy to use. The buttons are in sane places, it has a soft backlight if you need to see the buttons in the dark, and if the software doesn't have your device it's super easy to teach the individual IR commands to it. I've had mine for like 10 years and I love it to death. Had a harmony before that (and have used other since) and always thought it was kind of cheap feeling. The only "problem" with it is that it's marketed towards installers and not consumers, so the software is relatively clunky.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I'll put in a tentative suggestion for the Harmony Smart remote. Unlike my 650 I have almost never had a sync issue, and even when it missed a device I could just hit the same Activity again and it would turn the missed device on, unlike the 650 which would then turn the missed device on and every other device off. I could go even further and eliminate missed devices altogether by using the IR extenders.

The Smart remote also lets me keep everything in my closet, and control my Playstation (when I still had it) and my Roku (here's the "tentative suggestion" part). My Harmony Smart and Roku have random trouble connecting with each other (unlike my PS3 which was always perfect). I've read it may be my Verizon router which is causing the issue, but I've yet to pin it down.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

zfleeman posted:

Best universal remote is the harmony ultimate

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

catch22 posted:

I'll put in a tentative suggestion for the Harmony Smart remote. Unlike my 650 I have almost never had a sync issue, and even when it missed a device I could just hit the same Activity again and it would turn the missed device on, unlike the 650 which would then turn the missed device on and every other device off. I could go even further and eliminate missed devices altogether by using the IR extenders.

The Smart remote also lets me keep everything in my closet, and control my Playstation (when I still had it) and my Roku (here's the "tentative suggestion" part). My Harmony Smart and Roku have random trouble connecting with each other (unlike my PS3 which was always perfect). I've read it may be my Verizon router which is causing the issue, but I've yet to pin it down.

The smart control and remote are a great setup. Everything you need 99% of the time is available on the remote, and you can just use the app for whenever you need something else. It's a huge improvement over my old Harmony 880.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Thought I'd post some pics of my setup and hopefully get some advice on where to put my equipment. We recently renovated our condo and added a small loft. Adding the loft got rid of the pony wall against which I had my receiver and cable box in a cabinet.

My setup isn't really ideal but I had to work with the space I had. The TV has to go over the fireplace, there really is no other good spot. The reef tank is bright but by the time we are watching TV it starts to dim and really doesn't bother us that much. The real problem is speaker placement. My fronts and center had to be mounted above the fireplace. We tried to see if we could fit them under the TV but there was way too much cutting of studs and poo poo involved so I settled on placing them above. The rears are ceiling mounted at a pretty good angle. 6.5" dual woofer speakers for the fronts and center and 8 inch speakers for the rears. They are all monoprice brand. I did quite a bit of research and ultimately determined I didn't want to spend that much on speakers I wasn't even sure I'd be able to mount properly. The thread on AVS about the speakers is pretty huge and they are generally praised. I'm satisfied with them though in hindsight I should have read this thread. I would have possibly picked up the Aperion in walls with possibly the Marantz receiver.

Sub is sitting to the right of the far couch. Its a large Infinity powered sub that came with a 5.1 setup.

So besides my fronts being mounted too high which I can't do much about anyway, my only real problem is where to put my receiver, cable box, Fire, router and modem. Again, the only real spot is this little nook to the left of the fireplace.

I don't want a cabinet or anything too tall because it will impede the path to the loft. Whatever it is will have to be low to the ground but still allow enough space to conceal all the wires and two power strips. I was considering floating shelves but there is no stud behind that drywall at that spot. I might try some nice anchors or something. But still, even if I use floating shelves there will still be a lot of power cords to hide. What I'm thinking about doing is buying a decent sized wicker basket and then cutting one or possibly two of the sides off of that and flipping it upside down over the whole thing. Ideas would be appreciated.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

visuvius posted:

Thought I'd post some pics of my setup and hopefully get some advice on where to put my equipment. We recently renovated our condo and added a small loft. Adding the loft got rid of the pony wall against which I had my receiver and cable box in a cabinet.

My setup isn't really ideal but I had to work with the space I had. The TV has to go over the fireplace, there really is no other good spot. The reef tank is bright but by the time we are watching TV it starts to dim and really doesn't bother us that much. The real problem is speaker placement. My fronts and center had to be mounted above the fireplace. We tried to see if we could fit them under the TV but there was way too much cutting of studs and poo poo involved so I settled on placing them above. The rears are ceiling mounted at a pretty good angle. 6.5" dual woofer speakers for the fronts and center and 8 inch speakers for the rears. They are all monoprice brand. I did quite a bit of research and ultimately determined I didn't want to spend that much on speakers I wasn't even sure I'd be able to mount properly. The thread on AVS about the speakers is pretty huge and they are generally praised. I'm satisfied with them though in hindsight I should have read this thread. I would have possibly picked up the Aperion in walls with possibly the Marantz receiver.

Sub is sitting to the right of the far couch. Its a large Infinity powered sub that came with a 5.1 setup.

So besides my fronts being mounted too high which I can't do much about anyway, my only real problem is where to put my receiver, cable box, Fire, router and modem. Again, the only real spot is this little nook to the left of the fireplace.

I don't want a cabinet or anything too tall because it will impede the path to the loft. Whatever it is will have to be low to the ground but still allow enough space to conceal all the wires and two power strips. I was considering floating shelves but there is no stud behind that drywall at that spot. I might try some nice anchors or something. But still, even if I use floating shelves there will still be a lot of power cords to hide. What I'm thinking about doing is buying a decent sized wicker basket and then cutting one or possibly two of the sides off of that and flipping it upside down over the whole thing. Ideas would be appreciated.

Fancy human being gaming.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Fancy human being gaming.

What the gently caress?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
The white forums aren't ready for you knuc

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Well...
I would put a swing-out rack mount in the fireplace.

gently caress having a fire.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well...
I would put a swing-out rack mount in the fireplace.

gently caress having a fire.

Dude I considered that but I don't even know how the gently caress it would work. I bet there are all sorts of barriers and poo poo in that fireplace that would keep cables from being neatly run.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

visuvius posted:

Dude I considered that but I don't even know how the gently caress it would work. I bet there are all sorts of barriers and poo poo in that fireplace that would keep cables from being neatly run.

My fireplace is all self contained well inside the drywall etc surrounding it, so it's not really any trouble.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
What is in the base of that fish tank?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
You could potentially build some shelving/cabinet above the fish tank. There is obviously an outlet powering the fish tank, so you could just put another outlet up above it to use for power of equipment, that way you wouldn't have to worry about power cables hanging down. It would also be a really short run from the equipment to the TV and speakers. I would think done properly it would look pretty nice, the only potential downfall is that it is a bit to close to the kitchen cabinets, which might end up clashing or looking a bit strange.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

niss posted:

You could potentially build some shelving/cabinet above the fish tank. There is obviously an outlet powering the fish tank, so you could just put another outlet up above it to use for power of equipment, that way you wouldn't have to worry about power cables hanging down. It would also be a really short run from the equipment to the TV and speakers. I would think done properly it would look pretty nice, the only potential downfall is that it is a bit to close to the kitchen cabinets, which might end up clashing or looking a bit strange.

Also the whole electricity and water thing.

That fireplace is all hollow behind that drywall. The duct for the exhaust is like 10 inches diameter. You could reroute it to make room for a rack.

Alternatively, is there a closet nearby?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Legdiian posted:

What is in the base of that fish tank?

A whole lot of equipment. There is basically another tank under the main tank.

niss posted:

I feel like this would be a ton of work routing wires and would ultimately look weird but thanks for the out of the box suggestion.

KillHour posted:

Also the whole electricity and water thing.

That fireplace is all hollow behind that drywall. The duct for the exhaust is like 10 inches diameter. You could reroute it to make room for a rack.

Alternatively, is there a closet nearby?

No closet. Its kind of weird, besides the ones in the bedroom, there are no other closets in the place. I've never had a place without at least one random closet.

I'll poke around the fireplace a little and see if it would be feasible but I'm thinking I'll run into issues with the wife with this option.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I say just suck it up and build a cabinet there and deal with losing that very very tiny space of flooring that is not going to change how you walk into the loft at all.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

The Dave posted:

I say just suck it up and build a cabinet there and deal with losing that very very tiny space of flooring that is not going to change how you walk into the loft at all.

Yeah I mean ultimately you're probably right. The Ikea Hemnes bookcase is what I was considering:

The receiver/cable box should just barely fit. I was planning on hiding all the power stuff way at the bottom and the receiver would be on the second shelf up. I just wish it were slightly shorter. I've looked around online a lot at this point and I can't really find any other bookcases or pieces in this general shape.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It looks like you have a perfect AV equipment area, but someone beat you to it and put a fish tank there. Wait for them to get bored of water changes and then move on it!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It looks like you have a perfect AV equipment area, but someone beat you to it and put a fish tank there. Wait for them to get bored of water changes and then move on it!

Haha that thing is my pride and joy man. Well that and my son. Water changes are a bitch but well worth it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

visuvius posted:

Yeah I mean ultimately you're probably right. The Ikea Hemnes bookcase is what I was considering:

The receiver/cable box should just barely fit. I was planning on hiding all the power stuff way at the bottom and the receiver would be on the second shelf up. I just wish it were slightly shorter. I've looked around online a lot at this point and I can't really find any other bookcases or pieces in this general shape.

Target has some shorter ones that are comparable:

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-windham-2-shelf-bookcase/-/A-14500158#prodSlot=medium_1_20

http://www.target.com/p/kidkraft-avalon-3-shelf-bookcase-brown/-/A-13557412#prodSlot=medium_1_40

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Oh man thanks for these, dunno why I didn't see them when I was browsing target. The first one actually looks like it would work pretty well besides the depth. The receiver will stick out maybe a couple of inches but I think I'm okay with that. Plus its short and the gray version is like the perfect color. Thanks again broseph.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I found with the hemnes stuff, the equipment fits, but the cords sticking out the back of the receiver don't.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

I found with the hemnes stuff, the equipment fits, but the cords sticking out the back of the receiver don't.

good thing it's particle board and you're a man who owns a sawzall right?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I ended up ordering the Threshold 2 shelf bookcase from target. I plan on either cutting up the back or leaving it off altogether. I think this thing is about the best I'm going to get as far as being low profile.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Photex posted:

Surprisingly hemnes is like, the one thing Ikea sells that is made of solid pine (except the backer). Should be easy to cut out some media holes in the backer, though!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Photex posted:

I used it for floating shelves.These days I use ugly "pro audio" stuff that gets hidden in a closet on a home depot modular plastic rack.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I hit up craigslist for my first venture into multichannel sound this past Christmas, resulting in a system that's probably way overpowered for my smallish apartment, but at least the soundproofing is pretty good in this complex... I think

Current setup is:

JBL S-Series ( 2x S312, S-Center II ) in the front, 2x Klipsch XB-10 for the surrounds, and a PC + Onkyo TX-SR606 driving it all, with a 55" Seiki 4k TV which is pretty much always run at 1080p.

I bought the receiver second-hand off craigslist and the HDMI board failed about a week ago, and I've been missing the digital audio path and Audyssey room compensation. It really sounded like I was wearing an awesome pair of headphones (in terms of audible detail) with that setup. I have the analog audio path through the receiver working and it's OK, but it's just not the same...

Any recommendations for an inexpensive-ish AVR that will do HDMI audio with a good room compensation dsp?

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 13, 2015

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
The HDMI board is pretty easy to fix on the SR606 if you are even slightly handy with a soldering iron. Just search for some videos on youtube so you know what capacitors need replacing.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

zfleeman posted:

Just wanted update and say this remote is working famously with my setup. The Sony RMVLZ620.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

evilalien posted:

The HDMI board is pretty easy to fix on the SR606 if you are even slightly handy with a soldering iron. Just search for some videos on youtube so you know what capacitors need replacing.

I think I'm beat on the HDMI board. I I tried the repair with no success. I guess I'll have to live with the unprocessed analog for a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Onkyo's from that era are like Ford 6.0L diesels, from that era. Good on paper.