Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
No, I know, but it's possible that it's a reference to the idea that Maria is somehow descended from him or that family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
"A few days", huh.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Canuck-Errant posted:

"A few days", huh.

You should know by now that SA operates on a different time frame than the rest of us.

"A few days" is at least a couple weeks. "Finishing all the Sakura Wars games by 2025" means "the heat death of the universe will happen first", for example.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You should know by now that SA operates on a different time frame than the rest of us.

"A few days" is at least a couple weeks. "Finishing all the Sakura Wars games by 2025" means "the heat death of the universe will happen first", for example.

So SA works on Valve time, then? :v:

omegaultima
Mar 18, 2009

Yes! It lives again! I didn't have to go with Plan C!

I'm looking forward to more when you get a chance, SA.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.

----------
[Ogami]

... oh... right. Kohran's also one of the girls I have yet to comfort.

[Ogami]

Well, I'm sure it'll be just fine. I mean, the subject matter doesn't involve robots or mechanics or horrible perversions of scientific principles, so she might just laugh it off. Right? Right.

----------

----

[Kohran]

Ah wonder what's happened to Ayame-han...?

[Ogami]

Kohran...

----------
[Ogami]

... this is really going to be a very, very long night, isn't it.

[Kohran]

Ah'm entitled to have my own little weepy number, ain't Ah?

[Ogami]

ONE little weepy number, Kohran, ONE! I live in terror of my own machine because of your LAST little weepy number!

[Kohran]

What? Oh, y'all ain't scared of no ghost in the shell, are you?

[Ogami]

... Kohran, if I've learned one thing in this theater, it's that deep within my heart lies the courage to admit that I am scared of near goddamn EVERYTHING.

----------

[Kohran]

I ain't no gunslinger like Maria-han, an' Ah don't have Kanna's strength.
... puttin' it another way, all Ah got is a dash of dexterity an' bein' handy.

----------
[Ogami]

And speaking of fear, your "dash of dexterity and handyman skills" scares me almost as much as Maria's physics-warping gunkata skills and Kanna's physics-warping superhuman strength.

[Kohran]

Ya left out Iris.

[Ogami]

... I'm trying not to fear fear itself.

----------

[Ogami]

----------
[Ogami]

So- wait, you didn't go to school at ALL until you grew up?

[Kohran]

Naw. It worked out, tho', since Ah picked up a lotta poo poo livin' out on the streets.

[Ogami]

Hmm. Street smarts and all that stuff?

[Kohran]

What? Naw, Ah meant literally! D'you have ANY idea how much poo poo there was in th' slums or outskirts, jes' layin' around for anyone to use? Or all th' things you can do with all th' poo poo in the streets?

[Kohran]

Fuel, fertilizer, stink bombs, buildin' materials... it's like paintin' with all the colors of someone else's wind!

[Ogami]

... and the smell?

[Kohran]

My sense of smell's completely shot! Ya don't get much bathin' in when you're livin' in a hobo's paradise.

[Ogami]

How about rivers near the cities where you lived, or-

[Kohran]

Ah'd have gotten more poo poo on me if Ah'd done THAT, Ogami-han. Anyway, Ah managed without schoolin' for a while, though I missed some poo poo.

[Ogami]

[Kohran]

Ah'm speakin' figuratively, Ogami-han.

[Ogami]

Oooh. Still, given what you know and can do now, I don't think you really missed anything important.

----
TEN YEARS AGO:
[Chinese Child in School]

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

[Chinese Teacher]

<No! NO! You MUST not forget the brackets or the information tag! One more time.> (In Chinese).

[Chinese Child in School]

<The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. In Chinese.>

[Chinese Teacher]

<... close enough for now. Children, you must keep both the brackets AND the tag. If you don't, you will be given a silly accent and be forced to become the wacky sub-character who sings vaguely Chinese-ish songs for the amusement of others!!> (IN CHINESE!!)
----

[Kohran]

... y... yeah, Ah'm sure Ah didn't miss anythin' crucial, Ogami-han.

----------

[Kohran]

An' Ayame-han picked me up. She even let me come an' learn in Japan.

----

[Ogami]

Kohran...

[Ogami]

It's too early to give up, right? All we have to do is go and save Ayame-san.
If we do that... you can properly thank her, right?

[Kohran]

When Ah'm all by myself, Ah can't do a thing, but...

----------
[Ogami]

Well, you're sure going to beat Sumire-kun to it, because she doesn't want to save Ayame-san at all! Ha ha ha!

[Kohran]

... really now.

[Ogami]

Yeah, she's going on about how she's going to avenge Ayame-san by dealing the last blow when we go and confront demon!Ayame. Isn't that a hoot?

[Kohran]

... REAAAAALLY now.

[Ogami]

... I shouldn't be telling you all this, should I.

[Kohran]

'Course not! Whatever makes ya say THAT, Ogami-han?

[Ogami]

The terrifyingly sharp tools that popped into your hands via hidden compartments hidden all over the library that I had NO idea ever existed?

-----------

[Ogami]

Yeah, of course. We'll all go and save her together- okay?

----------
[Ogami]

Yup! No problem at all! Now PLEASE remember that the keyword is "together," meaning that you really should put that hacksaw down and not go to give Sumire-kun a lobotomy OR ask me to hide the evidence. Again.

[Kohran]

[Ogami]

... c-come on, Kohran, don't give me that face, that's really not fair.

[Kohran]

----------

[Ogami]

C'mon... smile, Kohran. If you make that face, Ayame-san'll laugh at you.

----

----

[Ogami]

Right, right! Your smiling face's really the best, Kohran.

[Kohran]

Thanks a bunch, Ogami-han. Ah'll be goin' back to my room t' sleep, 'kay?
You should get some rest too, Ogami-han. G'night, now!

[Ogami]

Yeah... good night.

----------
[Ogami]

[Kohran]

[Ogami]

You ARE going to go straight to your room and not to, say, Sumire-kun's room, equipped with an array of VERY uncomfortable gadgets?

[Kohran]

Ha ha ha, of course not! Ah'm jes' waitin' for you to look away, that's all. No reason.

[Ogami]

... I... right. I'll- I'll just take your word for it.

----------

And next up is the second-to-last girl in the theater: Iris! Finally, Ogami built up the courage to face fear itself. He is truly a man among men, a hero of all time, a-

Hahahaha, yeah, no, he just got dragged into another "walk into this corridor and get buggered" forced event. Not that that's an uncommon thing in this theater or game, but there you have it.

[Ogami]

Iris? What are you doing out here!?

----------
[Iris]

Oniichan, I-

[Ogami]

Why are you loose? Who left your door unlocked!? O-Oh my god, I've got to-

[Iris]

Onii-

[Ogami]

DEFCON 1, DEFCON 1, ALL IRIS CONTAINMENT PERSONNEL, GET YOUR ASSES UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR IMMEDIATELY, WE'VE GOT A BREACH, LOCK DOWN THE THEATER AND-

----------

[Iris]

I can't sleep... I saw a scary dream, and... I can't sleep.

----------
[Ogami]

... o-oh.

[Ogami]

Sorry, false alarm, guys, you can go back now.

[Kanna]

Awwww, but I REALLY wanted to try out this set of Anti-Iris knuckles! Kohran made 'em for me, you know.

[Ogami]

... Kanna, do you really want us all to be consumed by our own scorched earth strategy when there's really no need for it?

[Kanna]

gently caress yeah!

[Ogami]

Dumb question. Let me amend that: Kanna, do you like being in the middle of a crater where everything within a 100 km radius is blasted down to uninhabitable, radioactive bedrock?

[Kanna]

... well, it gives me one helluva a bad rash, but I could live with it.

[Ogami]

... it'll burn all the food within a 100 km radius.

[Kanna]

OH GOD WHAT KIND OF HORRIBLE DYSTOPIAN FUTURE DID THESE FISTS OF MINE ALMOST CREATE!?

[Ogami]

R... right. So please don't punch the floor with that thing, okay?

[Kanna]

What, like thi-

[Ogami]

NO NO NO NO NO PLEASE KANNA JUST GO BACK TO MURDERING CIVILIANS WITH SAKURA-KUN.

[Kanna]

Yay!

----------

[Ogami]

... anyway, let's go back inside your room, okay? You'll catch a cold out here.

Insofar that it's actually possible for Iris to fall ill to such mundane mortal maladies.

----

[Ogami]

Huh...?

[Iris]

Sakura, and Grandpa Yoneda, and- they all end up going to a pitch black place.
Everyone disappears, just like big sis Ayame. Everyone- everyone-

[Ogami]

Iris...

[Iris]

Oniichan, you won't go anywhere, right? You won't leave me alone and go off and disappear, right!?
I don't want to be alone... please, please don't make me be all alone...

[Ogami]

Iris...

----------
[Iris]

And whatever you do, please don't start bleeding from your suddenly-empty eye sockets and shrieking about how the glorious demise of all mankind is nigh while praising some false demon, just like they did. Okay?

[Ogami]

... um. I think I can avoid tha-

[Iris]

Oh, do you want me to describe the dream even MORE, Oniichan?

[Ogami]

Wait, wha-

[Iris]

Okay! Well, you see, after THAT, the ground began shaking and turning into goopy, melty flesh, and the very foundations of the world itself split apart, letting forth eerie wails sung in a unspeakably tortured voices, and the sky boiled into-

(TEN AGONIZINGLY LONG MINUTES LATER...)

[Iris]

-- and then the quivering, fleshy mass of what was once the Imperial Assault Force quickly began withering away into dried, leathery husks, and then into naught but dust, leaving behind nothing but horrifically twisted bones that had flowed together along with the broken dreams of the abomination's individual components! Teeth were gnashed! Tears were shed! Bread was buttered on the wrong side!!

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

O-O-Okay, t-that was- a-anyway, Iris, y-you don't have to worry, n-nothing like that will ever-

[Iris]

Okay, time for part two!

[Ogami]

N-N-N-N-N-Nuh-

(TWENTY EVEN MORE AGONIZINGLY LONG MINUTES LATER...)

[Iris]

- and lo, the unspeakable horrors that live beyond the stars were consumed by the thousand blood-tendrils of what was once all the oceans of our once-puny world, now a twisted paradise for the grotesque parodies of life that slither, crawl, and skitter across the surface!

[Iris]

... the end.

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

why

----------

As usual, there's the two relatively normal options and one HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR option.

[Ogami]

I'll always stay by your side. So don't worry, okay?

[Ogami]

Really. I promise, Iris, I'll stay by your side.

----------
[Ogami]

... because, quite frankly, I don't think I will ever be able to go anywhere alone anymore, and I am no longer picky about the company I keep.

[Iris]

EXCELLENT.

----------

[Iris]

Hey, Oniichan. We'll... we'll all be together forever, right? All of us?
I hope big sis Ayame comes back soon.

[Ogami]

Yes... she will.

[Iris]

I'm sure that she's... she's lonely because she can't see everyone.

Or she's too busy making out with Satan to care.

[Ogami]

Yeah... we'll hurry and pick her up.

[Iris]

Hey, Oniichan... can you stay with me until I fall asleep?

[Ogami]

Of course. Rest well, Iris.

[Iris]

And, um... don't turn off the lights until I fall asleep, okay?

[Ogami]

... got it. I'll leave them on.

----------
[Ogami]

Because seriously, do you think I'd agree to being all alone with you in a darkened room?

----------

[Iris]

Then... good night...

[Ogami]

... oh... looks like she's already asleep.
Now to head out without waking her. Sweet dreams, Iris...

Well then, that's five of the six girls talked to/counseled/HOT-BLOODED at. 'Course, there's only one more obstacle preventing Ogami from saying that he's done all that's required of him (and loving straight up to his room to hide from the upcoming end of the world):

Maria.

NEXT TIME: The depression train makes two last stops!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
DUN DUN DUUUUN

I would break out an emoticon here but I'm sure you already have some idea of what sort of scary Maria-face I'd link. :colbert:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 4, 2012

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Spirit Armor posted:

Chinese subbing
I learn something new about literature every time I read an update. :allears:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

omegaultima posted:

Yes! It lives again! I didn't have to go with Plan C!

I'm looking forward to more when you get a chance, SA.

:psyduck:

That's the best timing I've ever seen.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Hey, now that this is alive again I can post what I wanted to in the first place!

I decided to start reading this thread on a whim and it is really funny! I enjoyed reading this...saga, for lack of a better word, and I was so sad that it closed just as I finished reading the last update.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We're on the Maria Route, right? 'Cos I'm sniggering at the thought of incoming gunplay and I don't know what's wrong with me help

On a more serious note, good to see this update again before 2013 :v: (no picture).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I never knew how much I missed the side narration until I got some of it again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CommissarMega posted:

:v: (no picture).
I mean, you say that, but we're all going to mouseover it anyway.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
This game just loves to milk moping, doesn't it?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Geostomp posted:

This game just loves to milk moping, doesn't it?

I wouldn't say that. Remember, the last few updates have all been within a few hours of each other on the same night.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

WHOAAAA okay, Asia was more draining than I'd expected. Though I did end up about as busy as I'd expected, since it's bad form to reply to "SON, LET US GO AND VISIT THE GREAT WALL BUILT ON THE LAND OF YOUR DISTANT ANCESTORS" with "no mum i have to write video game things for people who live on the internet."

In any case, I've finagled my newfangled video capture device so that I can actually upload more videos of what remains of the game! This involved some cursing and resetting, since I'm a little out of practice and everyone had to sit down kept dying.

Anyway, the next update should be out within the next few days.

... and that shouldn't mean "in November" or "late 2013." :sweatdrop:

Canuck-Errant posted:

I would break out an emoticon here but I'm sure you already have some idea of what sort of scary Maria-face I'd link. :colbert:

... all of them?

Nyaa posted:

I learn something new about literature every time I read an update. :allears:

二人は桜色

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm just that fast!

... :frog:

SweaterGear posted:

Hey, now that this is alive again I can post what I wanted to in the first place!

I decided to start reading this thread on a whim and it is really funny! I enjoyed reading this...saga, for lack of a better word, and I was so sad that it closed just as I finished reading the last update.

Glad you enjoyed it! It'll probably be funnier once I... actually get the pictures to work again. THAT IS STILL A PRIORITY.

CommissarMega posted:

We're on the Maria Route, right? 'Cos I'm sniggering at the thought of incoming gunplay and I don't know what's wrong with me help

You'd THINK that canon!Maria would think that canon!Ogami deserves a few shots to the everything kidney by this point.

... that's what this LP is for. :colbert:

Glazius posted:

I wouldn't say that. Remember, the last few updates have all been within a few hours of each other on the same night.

There's also the fact that the last few updates have been strung out over the course of one year. I'm not helping my case, but I think my case is beyond helping at this point.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

DUN DUN DUUUUN

That took way more effort than it was worth.

...And why do I know which doujin that was from?:suicide:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Nice to see this updated again, how much left do we have left in this game?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Nice to see this updated again, how much left do we have left in this game?

About four years or so, at the current pace.

Oh, you mean game content. Actually, I'd like to know that too.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
From memory, we've about 1/3 of the game left. I think.

As for the linked emoticon pics, I'm not sure what the hell I'm looking. I think the pics got switched or something.

edited for possible spoilers. Probably not but let's not chance it.

Stumbling Block fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 5, 2012

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Stumbling Block posted:

From memory, we've about 1/3 of the game left. I think.

Much less than that; I'd say we have about 1/12 left, if even that.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Spirit Armor posted:

Ah ok, my mistake. It's been so long since I've played the game that I pretty much mixed up events of 1 & 2 into each other. I thought there would be a couple of more battles before the big finale.

Stumbling Block fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 6, 2012

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~
Whoa! Whoa Whoa Whoa, Spirit Armor, the gently caress are you doing man? I just found this thread again, and you're still going? Seriously, you've been at this since 2007! Since before I joined the drat forums!

Good on you, mate. You'll get this done some day, I know it.

Now to go find out where I was and what I've missed.

ilovecalifornia
Oct 9, 2012
I was being a cheapskate and reading this for free but now that I can't do that anymore here I am. I only got into this recently but I'm glad I did. You're doing a great job Spirit Armor, keep it up. :)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Spirit Armor posted:

Really? With all that talk of mid-season upgrades I thought we'd be going for much longer. Oh well, that just means we can get to Sakura Wars 2.

Right? :ohdear:

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Really? With all that talk of mid-season upgrades I thought we'd be going for much longer. Oh well, that just means we can get to Sakura Wars 2.

Right? :ohdear:

Hmm... Sakura Taisen 2. While many still regard the first the best I find ST2 was more well rounded game and had a better story. It just lack the joy of discovery that came with playing the first game for the first time is all.

One gripe I had with ST2 is that my relationships were set back to zero. It's almost like my character was never terrorized... I mean built up a meaningful relationship all that time from the first game.

omegaultima
Mar 18, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm that good! :v:

Canuck-Errant posted:

DUN DUN DUUUUN

Bah, none of my QR code scanners seem able to detect that one; little help, anybody?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

omegaultima posted:

Bah, none of my QR code scanners seem able to detect that one; little help, anybody?

:radcat:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

omegaultima posted:

Did you try opening the bastard in Paint and replacing the pink with black? That's the only thing that comes to mind immediately for me. I've never messed with QR scanners.

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

Of course I'm not scum, if I were scum I would be fucking glaring. Christ.
So glad to see SA is back. I hope he gets to update again before my birthday a month from now. :unsmith:

omegaultima
Mar 18, 2009

Ah, thank you, that works too.

Looking forward to more, SA! :v:

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Man, I forgot that this thread hid stuff behind emoticons!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SweaterGear posted:

Man, I forgot that this thread hid stuff behind emoticons!

"This thread"? I'm terribly disappointed in you, SweaterGear. :colbert:

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Spirit Armor posted:

Anyway, the next update should be out within the next few days.

... and that shouldn't mean "in November" or "late 2013." :sweatdrop:

Well, we still might get an update in December or early 2013. This LP reminds me of Zeno's paradox, but a better description would be a simple asymptotic curve - we will approach the end of the game, but never actually reach it...

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
T-the images on the first chapter don't work. I can't tell what's going on at all...

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Anastasiya posted:

T-the images on the first chapter don't work. I can't tell what's going on at all...

That would be because this LP's been running for over 5 years.

SA, wasn't the next update supposed to come out "before November?'

omegaultima
Mar 18, 2009

Don't make me initiate Plan C! I'll do it, too! :v:

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Anastasiya posted:

I had that same problem when I started reading the thread earlier this year. It is all waffleimages, I believe, and they went belly up a while ago.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe Spirit Armor unknowingly got caught in some light speed travel experiment several years ago and has been suffering the effects of increasing time dilation ever since.

From his point of view, he's been updating regularly every few days for three months now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Super Jay Mann posted:

Maybe Spirit Armor unknowingly got caught in some light speed travel experiment several years ago and has been suffering the effects of increasing time dilation ever since.

From his point of view, he's been updating regularly every few days for three months now!

It could be worse: He could be Evil Tim and his Perfect Dark/Goldeneye LP. The 4 most recent videos are a video in Sept. 2009, followed by 2 in Dec. 2010, and then the latest in Feb. 2011. It wasn't really much better when he actually ran a thread for it, or his Castlevania 64 thread either for that matter.

• Locked thread