Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

E2M2 posted:

So what Enslaved albums should I listen to to get into them? Gonna see Enslaved and Alcest next month.

Listen to Isa first. It is phenomenal. Ruun and Vertebrae pick up where Isa began but Isa trumps the rest completely in song writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

E2M2 posted:

So what Enslaved albums should I listen to to get into them? Gonna see Enslaved and Alcest next month.

The newest album, Axioma Ethica Odini, is loving amazing so you should definitely listen to it. Ruun, Isa and Vertebrae are recent albums they'll play a few songs from, also all really good. Then you should listen to their old Viking raw black metal stuff because it is brilliant.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Their entire discography is amazing, Ruun I think is my personal favorite but it's impossible to pick.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
The new WITTR has leaked and when though I've got it on preorder I couldn't help myself.

It hasn't grabbed me as fiercely as their previous albums, but I think that's due to the amount of texture and depth to the sound. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on that is completely different (wah solo), but works well.

There is a lot more depth to the vocals too, especially in the quieter more meditative parts. Definitely going to let this one grow on me for the next few weeks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How are the Enslaved shows? Are they all over the place playing the old black metal with the newer, progressive stuff? Like E2M2, I am seeing them next month as well. Gonna be a odd night with Ghost --> Alcest --> Enslaved.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Vintersorg posted:

How are the Enslaved shows? Are they all over the place playing the old black metal with the newer, progressive stuff? Like E2M2, I am seeing them next month as well. Gonna be a odd night with Ghost --> Alcest --> Enslaved.

They stick to mostly Ruun-Isa-Vertebrae-AEO stuff, but play at least a couple of the older songs too. They are also really, really good live - goodness knows they've had a long time to perfect their live act.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I guess I'm one of the only people who hate Isa and Ruun and think Below the Lights is really good

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Radio Paranoia posted:

The new WITTR has leaked and when though I've got it on preorder I couldn't help myself.

Same here. Did you hear this is supposedly their last album? Final one in the trilogy..

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

More Gore posted:

Same here. Did you hear this is supposedly their last album? Final one in the trilogy..

"The last album in this incarnation of WitTR" or something like that.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm guessing that either means a significant lineup change or they're moving on to do something with a different sound under a new name.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

E2M2 posted:

You only really need Vikinligr Veldi, Frost and Blodhemn. Maybe Eld also, but it's not very good stacked beside their other work from those years. Their material after that is just fairly straight forward and boring proggy metal that isn't like bad, you just don't need it. Along with Immortal, they had the best albums of the old Black Metal bands that sold out.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah. I had only heard the old old stuff before like Vikingligr, and then I picked up AEO when it was $5 on Amazon MP3. I had to double check that it wasn't a different band. It's not terrible, just not my thing. I listened to it twice and just never listened again. Grutle is pretty great as a guest vocalist on Shining's Blackjazz though.

cthulhukid
Jun 1, 2001

aliencowboy posted:

I'm guessing that either means a significant lineup change or they're moving on to do something with a different sound under a new name.
The latter most likely. They said they didn't want to pull an Ulver.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

cthulhukid posted:

The latter most likely. They said they didn't want to pull an Ulver.

I know one of them (Nathan or Aaron, can't remember which) said he needed to focus more on his family and farm, so I hope you guys are right :/

Judas Chongo
Sep 12, 2007

Does anyone here like Cultes Des Ghoules from Poland? Definitely one of the best modern BM bands around, total satanic occult worship. I'm pretty sure the band members are just piles of ancient bones.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Never heard of them, but they're on the same label as Szron (which I just found out), who are awesome. I'll check them out, thanks for the heads up!

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is it me or is the new WitTR kinda lovely? Or not nearly as good as their older stuff.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

72o fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 5, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

E2M2 posted:

Is it me or is the new WitTR kinda lovely? Or not nearly as good as their older stuff.

Personally, I think it's the best thing they've put out.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

E2M2 posted:

Yeah but if you buy this album, you get 2% off your interest rate on the purchase of a 2012 Scion, so you can't hate them for having a record of about 8 minutes of dumb black metal and like 40 of dumb "profound" ambient trash. They're just trying to save a tree, man.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

Personally, I think it's the best thing they've put out.

I agree with this. Some of the melodies in the first track are wonderful, and the throwback to "Dia Artio" in "Woodland Cathedral" is a great way to bring the trilogy full circle. If you think about it as the third part of a three-album arc, it's really just fantastic in my opinion.

But hey, opinions.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I've listened to it three times and can't remember a single thing about it. That may of course say more about me than the album, but I usually really like sappy black metal.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

E2M2 posted:

Maybe a little too atmospheric, but still good.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Can you guys recommend me a black metal band that uses industrial themes, but isn't classified as "industrial black metal"? No synths, symphonic parts, or overproduction or anything, but just raw lo-fi black metal that happens to be about rusting factories instead of grim forests. Ambient atmospheric bits with metallic/industrial sounds would be really cool too.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The Axis of Perdition perhaps?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Can you guys recommend me a black metal band that uses industrial themes, but isn't classified as "industrial black metal"? No synths, symphonic parts, or overproduction or anything, but just raw lo-fi black metal that happens to be about rusting factories instead of grim forests. Ambient atmospheric bits with metallic/industrial sounds would be really cool too.

Not sure if it's really what you after, but have you ever tried listening to IXXI? They're a swedish black metal (black 'n roll?) outfit that are still rather lo-fi. Not so much ambient going on. Most of ther stuff is about warfare, terrorism, god, death and such. You may wanna check out their sophomore release, Assorted Armament. Check thme. I think they're still active too.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

RHTITE posted:

Yeah but if you buy this album, you get 2% off your interest rate on the purchase of a 2012 Scion

Is this for real?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

Is this for real?

That's a pretty good deal.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I've listened to ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ about a million times. What other Arckanum albums are worth checking out?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

QPZIL posted:

That's a pretty good deal.

it's also incredibly lame

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Is this for real?

Not as far as I can tell. They've played one scion-sponsored event, but that's it.

That would be a great deal.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

it's also incredibly lame

I know, I was just being facetious.

I don't think it's true though, they're done nothing associated with Scion since playing Scion Fest in Atlanta years ago.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

QPZIL posted:

I know, I was just being facetious.

I don't think it's true though, they're done nothing associated with Scion since playing Scion Fest in Atlanta years ago.

These days absolutely nothing really surprises me, it's more that I hope I'm wrong like this time.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

e: whoops, wrong thread

IRQ fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 12, 2011

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

aliencowboy posted:

I've listened to ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ about a million times. What other Arckanum albums are worth checking out?

All of them. The split with Svartsyn is also very much worth picking up, although the Svartsyn side is better, due to being unbelievably good.

New Arckanum album should be out in a few days too.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Just got my Celestial Lineage CD/t-shirt delivered and it came with a free poster! :woop:

The booklet art is absolutely beautiful and the whole package is just a class act.

There are these weird runes on the box which I can't seem to identify, if anyone else has a copy and has any ideas. I wonder what that's about?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Is anyone else a fan of Mgla? I've been on a bit of a kick lately and I wish they'd release something new. Their sound has always struck me as sort of unique but does anyone have any recommendations for something similar?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Sad Mammal posted:

The Axis of Perdition perhaps?

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Not sure if it's really what you after, but have you ever tried listening to IXXI?

These are exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
These guys from Canada are pretty good, they have a demo out. Get it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pv2LgRzvKg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

ChthoniC has put out something recently, 'Takasago Army'. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, being melodic black, and maybe melodic blackened by some standards.

I can't help but enjoy these guys though. Their sound is a bit reminiscent in places of early 90's Sepultura, and their vocalist alters pitch frequently. He either sounds like Max, or when he gets high pitch and screechy, it can sound like (and I acknowledge this can seem to be a detrimental comparison) Dani Filth.

They're a pretty interesting group, too. They're from Taiwan, so they have lyrics that alternate between English and Chinese. Their lyrics usually emphasize Chinese folklore, and the lead singer is a very outspoken activist for Taiwanese independence, as well as for the Tibetan, Nepalese and Uighur.

They don't have anything as cool as a discount on financing a Scion though.