Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

amishsexpot posted:

Hmm... sort of like this? http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-your-t-shirt-into-a-fitted-dress/ I think that'd be cute! I'd probably start the skirt higher rather than doing a drop waist look.

A bit like that, thanks! I wouldn't make it that low, at all. I was thinking of doing like a "faux tanktop" underneath kind of look, if you get what i'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

pointers posted:

Sew perpendicular across the cord you're using (maybe 2-3 times close together, if you're worried about it coming apart), then for the patches trim the corners like in this tutorial so they lay flat, fold them over, iron, and sew straight on top

If you're worried about the seam coming apart, you can backstich 3-5 stiches when you start/end with machine sewing to 'seal' it better. Or, for the patches, just continue the square on the directly over where you started.

If the jacket is lined, the first method would lead to less possible weirdness from wonky contact, although if you feel confident you won't rip the fabric, you could rip apart a bit of the seams where you're going to attach toggles and just sew onto the top layer, then redo the seams.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks! I'm not actually a sewing-type person, I'm just trying to do this one thing, so I don't have a machine. I am thinking of sewing the cord on and then a leather patch over that. I'd just do this by hand so I think I can just push the needle back up through before it hits the liner? I will need the strongest needle ever to get through leather and wool though.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks! I'm not actually a sewing-type person, I'm just trying to do this one thing, so I don't have a machine. I am thinking of sewing the cord on and then a leather patch over that. I'd just do this by hand so I think I can just push the needle back up through before it hits the liner? I will need the strongest needle ever to get through leather and wool though.

Use a thimble, please.

I have the most horrible imagery in my head thinking about that.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Brainbread posted:

Use a thimble, please.

I have the most horrible imagery in my head thinking about that.

I know about thimbles at least, geez. :shobon: Any advice on where to shop for basic stuff like needles? Does it matter too much?

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Oh yeah, if you're doing it by hand it's super easy to avoid going through both layers. To finish the thread just tie it in a little knot on the back side of the fabric.

And I don't know too much about needle quality, I haven't really run into any 'bad needles' so I'd assume they're pretty similar most places. Craft stores like Micheals can be a little pricey, in comparison to local fabric + crafts stores (if you're lucky enough to have one in your area) or more sewing dedicated places (like fabricland or whatever the equivalent is). Worst comes to worst, target or walmart or some place should sell needles still (even if they don't sell fabric). You will probably need a hardier needle to go through leather, so read the packages.

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN
If you have them, I'd also suggest using needle-nose pliers to grab and push the needle through; it goes a lot easier than with a thimble (still keep a thimble on hand, though!). Just be prepared to snap a few needles; they tend to be pretty brittle.

You can even get cheapo 'sewing kits' at the dollar store - needles, a few colours of not-so-great thread, usually a thimble and a needle threader.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Leather's definitely going to require a 'smaller' size needle (the lower the number of your needle, the thicker it is. ie a 7 should be thicker than a 9. This is, of course, the opposite for machine needles. :downsrim: ). And I cannot stress enough, be as precise as you can when you're sewing it. With fabric you can press away any missed holes with the iron, but leather? Your screw-ups will remain forever. Maybe get another toggle to make a sample with first to make sure you know what you're doing.

Also, nothin' says you can't use upholstery needles to hand-sew leather, either. Upholstery needles are already meant to poke through even the toughest poo poo possible to sew, and they can be especially convenient to use because of their rounded shape. Just don't use a huge knitting needle and you should be okay.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I always like to "pre punch" my holes when I sew with leather. Now I do it with an awl, but I used to do it with a nail or thumbtack. You can even measure them out as you go so they're evenly spaced. That way when you get to your garments you can worry about getting on straight and what not and aren't trying to jab your needle though all those layers.

Also it's time for some holiday sewing! My boyfriend is a very tall man, and he has a hard time finding shirts that fit--let alone fun colors/patterns, so I'm making him two button-ups for Christmas.

One's a floral print with yellow piping, the other is a blue and white striped fabric with a toile collar, yoke, cuffs and pocket.

I'll post more pictures when they're done!

Vulvarine
Mar 23, 2008
Those shirts are super impressive, holy poo poo.

I just bought the BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook to get into making clothes instead of altering them, and was excited to recognize the OP on page 133. Goons everywhere!

Steincrazy
Feb 15, 2007
I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I'm trying to topstitch some 1/4" inch tie-backs I made but am having trouble stitching them as the feed dogs on my machine can't catch the fabric to advance the material through. Any ideas? I can't really hand sew them either as I have 20 18" ties to do. Thanks for any help, it's quite frustrating!

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Steincrazy posted:

I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I'm trying to topstitch some 1/4" inch tie-backs I made but am having trouble stitching them as the feed dogs on my machine can't catch the fabric to advance the material through. Any ideas? I can't really hand sew them either as I have 20 18" ties to do. Thanks for any help, it's quite frustrating!
Put a piece of paper underneath the material wide enough to catch the feed dogs. After you sew, you can rip the paper off. I know a lady who likes to make "stained-glass" quilts and she swears by Glad Press-n-Seal for this purpose. NOT Saran Wrap, it's kind of sticky on one side wax paper.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

handbags at dawn posted:

Put a piece of paper underneath the material wide enough to catch the feed dogs. After you sew, you can rip the paper off. I know a lady who likes to make "stained-glass" quilts and she swears by Glad Press-n-Seal for this purpose. NOT Saran Wrap, it's kind of sticky on one side wax paper.

I also hear tissue paper is great for this. And if you're desperate, toilet paper. :keke:

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Tear-away interfacing is what I usually use for sewing thin fiddly bits like that.

Cerri fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 9, 2011

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...
Does anyone have any book/blog suggestions for learning to alter clothes? I've got a small bust but normal sized hips, so dresses off the rack never fit properly.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Does anyone here own an embroidery machine or sewing machine with embroidery unit?

I'm looking for upgrade recommendations from my Pfaff Creative 2124 to something with an actual screen to help take away the guess work.

The Creative 4.0 is one sexy machine but the price makes me do a spit take. Same goes for any of the Baby Lock machines.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

nolen posted:

Does anyone here own an embroidery machine or sewing machine with embroidery unit?

I'm looking for upgrade recommendations from my Pfaff Creative 2124 to something with an actual screen to help take away the guess work.

The Creative 4.0 is one sexy machine but the price makes me do a spit take. Same goes for any of the Baby Lock machines.

I own a Brother LP-6800 embroidery/sewing machine. I recommend buying it from Costco so in case something goes wrong you can return it :
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11528279

Embroidery area is 4"x4". The touch screen is monochrome and allows you to do some basic manipulation of the embroidery designs (shift / scale / rotate). To get really creative you'd need extra software like PE Design.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Do you guys have any recommendations for a sewing machine for beginners? It would be mostly used for making stuffed animals, adjustments to clothing and other small projects like maybe pillowcases. I don't want to spend too much because I'm poor and not sure how much I'll actually use it. I'd like to buy a second-hand machine but am kind of dazzled by all the brands and wildly varying prices... As far as I can see I should be able to pick up something decent enough for my purposes for around 70 dollars, right?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

PiratePing posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a sewing machine for beginners? It would be mostly used for making stuffed animals, adjustments to clothing and other small projects like maybe pillowcases. I don't want to spend too much because I'm poor and not sure how much I'll actually use it. I'd like to buy a second-hand machine but am kind of dazzled by all the brands and wildly varying prices... As far as I can see I should be able to pick up something decent enough for my purposes for around 70 dollars, right?

Kenmore Ultrastitch 6.

Edit so I don't get banned: It was "baby's first sewing machine" about 20 or 30 years ago, so you can find them second-hand anywhere. They have pretty much all the basic functionality you'll need, and are really easy to take apart and maintain yourself.

I also have one, so I am biased.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 10, 2011

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Does anyone know of a good online tutorial for making a lined backpack with a zip closure? I know how to assemble the rest of it in my head but I can't get around making a lining or sewing in the gusset with the zip on.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Brainbread posted:

Kenmore Ultrastitch 6.

Edit so I don't get banned: It was "baby's first sewing machine" about 20 or 30 years ago, so you can find them second-hand anywhere. They have pretty much all the basic functionality you'll need, and are really easy to take apart and maintain yourself.

I also have one, so I am biased.

I can't even find a store that sells them new in my country(Netherlands), let alone second-hand ones... Loads of Singer and Pfaff machines though. I've enlisted the aid of my mom, she's going to help me pick out a nice simple one and show me how to use it on Christmas. Can't wait for exams to be over and play around with it :neckbeard:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I found three for sale on Kijiji in my area, but maybe thats because its North America. I dunno if they even sold much overseas.

Good luck though! I hope you find a good one =P

Vulvarine
Mar 23, 2008
I read the thread, maybe I missed it, but what do y'all use for pattern paper? I need cheap options.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Where do you folks buy dress forms? I've been looking at a few on ebay (like this one but I really have no clue what the quality is like. I haven't had much luck finding them at brick-and-mortar stores like Joanne's (don't think there are any around me). Craigslist is such a headache, dealing with people who can't send a proper email. Anyone have any suggestions?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Vulvarine posted:

I read the thread, maybe I missed it, but what do y'all use for pattern paper? I need cheap options.

I actually use sheets of acetate, draw the pattern with a sharpie, then cut perforations along the pattern lines.

After that, it's just a point of placing the acetate pattern on my fabric and marking everywhere there's a hole in the pattern. I like to use painter's tape to hold the acetate to the fabric so it doesn't move while I mark.

Otherwise, giant newsprint sketchpads are great for cheap pattern paper if you want a more traditional route.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Vulvarine posted:

For small things I have used greaseproof paper/baking paper, the brown stuff you line baking tins with.

Lining paper for lining walls before you wallpaper them is pretty thin and very cheap.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Vulvarine posted:

I use cardboard cutouts for making bags and toys, because I reuse them over and over again.

I draw on the fabric using one of those disappearing fabric markers.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

amishsexpot posted:

Where do you folks buy dress forms? I've been looking at a few on ebay (like this one but I really have no clue what the quality is like. I haven't had much luck finding them at brick-and-mortar stores like Joanne's (don't think there are any around me). Craigslist is such a headache, dealing with people who can't send a proper email. Anyone have any suggestions?

Do you want one you can adjust for multiple sizes or is it just for yourself? Because if it's just for yourself there are a bunch of DIY tutorials for making your own.

As for pattern paper I sometimes use the large pads of tracing paper, but I think my favorite might be plastic coated freezer paper. It's thin enough I can trace through it, easy to cut, sturdy enough to get a few reuses. I really it like it for tiny pieces and applique work; you can trace your pattern on to it, iron it on to the fabric, cut the fabric and peel the paper back off. I've only tried it with fleece and felt though.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I made a dress!

I took that photo before I hemmed it, so it's a little shorter than that.

Finished, apart from some alterations I need to make to the shoulders, as they don't quite fit right (a little baggy). Unfortunately, I started sewing it all together without my mum in the house so I had no one to help me alter anything before I dived in, went crazy and sewed it all on my own.

The print is portraits of ladies in a ukiyo-e style, with kanji in the background (which I hope doesn't say something like penis monster or ugly dress).

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Comrade Quack posted:

Do you want one you can adjust for multiple sizes or is it just for yourself? Because if it's just for yourself there are a bunch of DIY tutorials for making your own.

As for pattern paper I sometimes use the large pads of tracing paper, but I think my favorite might be plastic coated freezer paper. It's thin enough I can trace through it, easy to cut, sturdy enough to get a few reuses. I really it like it for tiny pieces and applique work; you can trace your pattern on to it, iron it on to the fabric, cut the fabric and peel the paper back off. I've only tried it with fleece and felt though.

It's mainly for myself but I'd really like to find one that will last a long time and that I don't have to cover myself in duct tape for. :3:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

I made a dress!

Looks good!

Before reading what the images on it were, I thought it was covered in tons of pockets.

I can't be the only one =P

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Brainbread posted:

Before reading what the images on it were, I thought it was covered in tons of pockets.

Hahah, a spice cabinet/advent calender dress would be awesome for winding up ticket inspectors and cashiers.

I made a pact not to buy any clothes until the new year, so I'm trying to use up fabric I've had around for ages and burst through the "eek I can't cut that up, it was X a metre!". I hate being a fabric collector... but in the past my sewing skills were so ropey that I had to recycle a lot of my projects into patchwork because they weren't fit for wearing.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Vulvarine posted:

Jo-Ann's is selling interfacing with 1" grid lines. Not the cheapest option but this makes storing the pattern really easy.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

amishsexpot posted:

Joann's are on sale for 99$ this season - which is an amazing deal.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/searchall.jsp?qsearch=dress+form&keyword=_usrch%3Adress+form

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
I just finished my first purse project. I wanted a giant chic-looking diaper bag (I'm 8 months pregnant). This one has a divider and side pockets and a zipper on top and the whole thing is made of waterproof canvas(black) and vinyl coated fabric (everything else). I love how it turned out.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Sarsaparilla posted:

Joann's are on sale for 99$ this season - which is an amazing deal.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/searchall.jsp?qsearch=dress+form&keyword=_usrch%3Adress+form

Thanks! Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'm looking for a professional non-adjustable muslin-covered one. I got a Dritz adjustable one as a gift last year and had to return it because I can't drape on it if there's a big plastic dial in the middle of the bust/waist!

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I got a sewing machine for christmas!

I understand that the fact that I already feel like throwing it off the fire escape is a natural part of the learning process? After exams I'm going to sit down and make ugly things until they get beautiful :argh:

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

PiratePing posted:

I got a sewing machine for christmas!

I understand that the fact that I already feel like throwing it off the fire escape is a natural part of the learning process? After exams I'm going to sit down and make ugly things until they get beautiful :argh:

Take a class! Even if it's like a 2 day thing, it'll be worth it. You'll get the hang of it soon. :)

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

amishsexpot posted:

Take a class! Even if it's like a 2 day thing, it'll be worth it. You'll get the hang of it soon. :)

More like "MOOOOOOM!!?":byodame:

We're going to do a small project together so she can show me from start to finish. :3:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Sup. Posting Christmas presents.

My husband got Liara and Garrus:

That is the loving cutest turian you've ever seen, don't even lie. (Shut up I know I forgot the visor.)

Everyone got my mom CDs for hew new car which now has a CD player. I went above and beyond.

I'd never seen her surprised at Christmas before. She really dug it.

My mother in law wants a wallet that also holds her keys and her cell phone. I took this tutorial and added a clear plastic front and a little keychain loop.

]

Made one for my dad and one for my uncle (not pictured, in red) from this tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I got a sewing machine for christmas ( brother SQ9050) I am really excited to start sewing again I learned to sew in high school but have not had a machine for quite some time. I am going to make a run to get some fabric tomorrow and start on some simple patterns that I have found.