Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Doctor Zero posted:

At the expense of derailing too much, while Harleys are certainly overpriced compared to a Japanese bike, they feel more like a motorcycle. I mean I love the poo poo out of my Valkyrie, but it feels like I'm riding a hoverbike compared to the loud, rumbling, imperfectness of riding a Harley.

I can't fault anyone for wanting one, they are nice bikes.

Well your post just gave me an epiphany that further explains the reasoning behind Harleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City17
Dec 3, 2006

I have often described myself in the exact same verbiage.

Click here for the full 517x942 image.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Well your post just gave me an epiphany that further explains the reasoning behind Harleys.

If your going to look at motorcyclings soul I would look at Italian bikes, Harleys just feel slow and out of touch. I would argue in the opposite way that American muscle cars feel like a car should, in a very boat like way. But Harleys just dont do it for me, they scream, look at me I wasted 20 grand on a hunk of chrome made by people cashing in on an american tradition...again and again and again. All the while crushing attempts at innovation in the company.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

If I wasn't in school and had the room, this would be money well spent.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

McTinkerson posted:

If I wasn't in school and had the room, this would be money well spent.

One third share? I've never heard of that outside of vacation homes and, sometimes, yachts.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Noni posted:

One third share? I've never heard of that outside of vacation homes and, sometimes, yachts.

Do you really want to share a car with people who
1) Cant get $3,000 together
2) Want that car

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Tai-Pan posted:

Do you really want to share a car with people who
1) Cant get $3,000 together
2) Want that car

I could almost understand 3 people getting together to go buy a car to share, but this is even worse because, at one point, the owner of the car got so broke that he hatched a lovely car-sharing scheme.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So he's basically selling a Bill of Sale for $1000. nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Doctor Zero posted:

So he's basically selling a Bill of Sale for $1000. nice.

A "Bill of sale for one third share" whatever the hell that means. Imagine taking that into the DMV for a 3rd of a plate.

Presuming this guy is serious, how would they work the insurance?

sacre
Jan 26, 2007

slidebite posted:

A "Bill of sale for one third share" whatever the hell that means. Imagine taking that into the DMV for a 3rd of a plate.

Presuming this guy is serious, how would they work the insurance?

They'd probably go thirds.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Noni posted:

The guy seems to think it's a race car (racing parts, FAHR HUNNERT HORSEPOWER!, 'still time to race it', etc.)

I don't know why you'd want to sell a $3000 racing car in three shares, either :iiam:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

sacre posted:

They'd probably go thirds.

Thirds on the shittiest driver out of the 3? Yes please.

But yeah, that's probably their grand scheme. How can it fail?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

95 CIVIC HATCH SHELL - $900 (SOUTH)
Date: 2009-10-21, 11:15AM MST
Reply to: sale-dzyae-1431481015@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

i have a 95 civic hatch shell for sell it has ate interior a wire tuck i had that car for a projec but i dont have any time to work on it.. i just sand the engine bay and cover the holes with bondo it will look nice when it be finish i have the primer and everything if u buy the shell i give u everything i have so u can finish it.. for any more information please call or text 5206319427 ask for huber
http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/1431481015.html

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Not exactly craigslist:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984...=item4149dd1dc3

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 25, 2009

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Jack the Smack posted:

Not exactly craigslist:

Holy gently caress, that's awesome. $2900 for a vehicle that I can't afford to drive (3mpg, he says) and have nowhere to park but goddamn. An entire extended family could live in that thing. The engine alone might be worth it: 800 ft-lbs of torque, and how many people can say "yeah my dragster is running the engine from an ARTICULATED CITY BUS"?

Also, what is this?

"Engine: Flat Inline horizontal 6 cyl."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

orange lime posted:

Also, what is this?

"Engine: Flat Inline horizontal 6 cyl."

I'm guessing it's a straight 6 lying on its side, so that it can fit underneath the floor of the bus.

And yes, that is incredible.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

VideoTapir posted:

I'm guessing it's a straight 6 lying on its side, so that it can fit underneath the floor of the bus.

And yes, that is incredible.

he also calls is an MAN pancake, so it could be a flat six, too.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bolkovr posted:

More like "Go Gaytors".

Oh poo poo, I own a scooter too.
Scooters by themselves, not gay.

Scooters covered in flower print in the colors of your favorite college team, really gay. Or driven by a girl which would be ok. The ad did say it was cute.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/1435183708.html

quote:

1989 Chevy michigan logos
1989 custom Uof M chevy from the underneth the hood to the trunk , 24 davins spins like crazy 3 tv 4 12 jlbs custom leather seats clen GO BLUE!!!! call for more info xxx-xxx-xxxx

You know, he's put a lot of work into it, and it seems like it's a really nice car. But I just couldn't imagine anybody actually driving this car. Even if you're a superfan.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Speleothing posted:

it seems like it's a really nice car.
it seems like it's almost the tackiest piece of poo poo I've ever seen in my life.
hence

quote:

I just couldn't imagine anybody actually driving this car. Even if you're a superfan.

neither can I

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
One of you will probably crap yourselves with envy.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/cto/1437842715.html

quote:

1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible - $1200 (Gainesville)

Date: 2009-10-26, 3:12AM EDT
Reply to: sale-rjepr-1437842715@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a Saab 900 for sale. I received as a gift from and Uncle as a gift but the car really isn't my style. It drives great though, and the car is a classic. The odometer on the car has stopped working, but the engine has no more than 100,000 miles on it. It stopped at 84,000 march of this year. The inside is clean and is in fair condition. No tears in the leather, but there is a tear in the driver carpet. If you would like to come and see the car give me a call so we can set up a time at (352)871-9325 and ask for Thomas. Oh yea and the rims are not included.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Not exactly craigslist:

Oohhhhhhhh my god it's a bendy bus.

I grew up in san francisco, and since my mom doesn't drive (eyesight problem) I grew up taking the bus. These old 80s busses all have a highly-distinctive exhaust note that is permanently ingrained into my brain - I can hear an 80s MUNI bus coming from blocks away.

Pretty much the whole fleet has been replaced by now, mostly with hybrids and poo poo that don't sound right, so it's been years since I actually heard a real MUNI bus.

And better yet it's a bendy bus. There's seats in the bendy-part, which is a big round section of floor that the two halves of the bus articulate around. My favorite place to sit as a kid.

These busses also have pneumatic "kneeling" capability, to put the stairs right down at the curb the whole front of the bus raises and lowers. They also have folding stairs with a wheelchair lift up front.

San Francisco is a maze of small twisty streets and the drivers who manage these busses around the city are incredible.

Mind you. These busses put on like 100,000+ miles a year. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear this old bus has 2+ million miles on it. Very much doubt it's the first engine, either. They serviced them constantly and professionally of course, but even so, a bus that old, even in great shape, saw constant daily abuse for at least 15 years.

I want it so bad. I'm sure I'd need like a class B or A license to drive it, and it'd be ruinous in gas, and where in the gently caress would I park a 60 foot bus, but stiiiiilll I wannnnnnt it.

Jack the Smack you made my day.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Leperflesh posted:

Oohhhhhhhh my god it's a bendy bus.
I want it so bad. I'm sure I'd need like a class B or A license to drive it, and it'd be ruinous in gas, and where in the gently caress would I park a 60 foot bus, but stiiiiilll I wannnnnnt it.

Yeah my garage can probably fit my Z, impreza, and festiva end to end in it, but I bet there'd be 10 feet of bus sticking out.
I can't believe someone bought that monstrosity amazing machine for $3200! What other vehicle in the world could you buy for that price that gives you that much passenger capacity?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ab0z posted:

Yeah my garage can probably fit my Z, impreza, and festiva end to end in it, but I bet there'd be 10 feet of bus sticking out.

You could fit your Z, Impreza, and Festiva end to end in the bus.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Jack the Smack posted:

Not exactly craigslist:

Who knows what an internal progressive 2 switch "retarder" is?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

When will people stop doing this to perectly good cars?

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/1438706490.html

Probably should have spent the money on getting the hood to fit right instead

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I just want it so I can shout "ALL ABOARD THE MAN BUS!"

Pipkin posted:

Who knows what an internal progressive 2 switch "retarder" is?

I think that would be what is colloquially known as a "jake brake". Either that or it shoots out smaller, shorter bendy busses.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

trouser chili posted:

I just want it so I can shout "ALL ABOARD THE MAN BUS!"

I think that would be what is colloquially known as a "jake brake". Either that or it shoots out smaller, shorter bendy busses.

Ah yes, that would make sense. I always think of retards for (spark) ignition timing.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1438574061.html

quote:

1973 Mercedes 280 CE. Will run but needs work. Can drive it home. 123C. $1000 or best offer.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

A smoking deal or a financial sinkhole from which light nor pennies shall escape.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-Mad-Max-Interceptor-W0QQAdIdZ139445566

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh hell yeah. That is loving awesome.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
I think I saw a video of that guy and car once. It's really a piece of work.
Looks like there's quite a few of them. But something tells me this guy might be involved in some way.
http://www.lastinterceptor.com/build/
Could be the builder who couldn't sell it, or buyer's remorse.

Marux fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 27, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

This is the only time the use of the word "invested" is appropriate. I wonder how much he wants for it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
More important...does the supercharger work, and does the on-off switch work?

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

VideoTapir posted:

More important...does the supercharger work, and does the on-off switch work?

Probably not... I'd guess. I looked those up a couple years ago and most of them have fake superchargers... I think there WERE a couple that did have functional blowers, but the majority of them are just for looks...

That movie instilled in me as a young child, the subconscious need to have a car with a large motor and a blower that works at the flick of a switch...

Sadly, I still haven't lived that dream yet...

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Ya, that site the says the blowers are for looks. Why you would go to all the trouble of rebuilding the car and reconditioning a 351c and NOT putting on at least an inexpensive blower is strange.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

bladernr posted:

Probably not... I'd guess. I looked those up a couple years ago and most of them have fake superchargers... I think there WERE a couple that did have functional blowers, but the majority of them are just for looks...

That movie instilled in me as a young child, the subconscious need to have a car with a large motor and a blower that works at the flick of a switch...

Sadly, I still haven't lived that dream yet...

Why don't more cars have blowers that work like that? Air conditioners are clutched, so it shouldn't be at all difficult to add one to your supercharger, but the only company I've seen that does that is Mercedes.

I also have the juvenile dream of owning a car with a go-fast toggle switch. I'd go all out and have two separate sets of intake and exhaust piping, switched with butterfly valves: one N/A with all the mufflers and emissions stuff, and one blown with an open pipe right after the exhaust manifold. Mmm..,go-fast-get-loud switch.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

orange lime posted:

Why don't more cars have blowers that work like that? Air conditioners are clutched, so it shouldn't be at all difficult to add one to your supercharger, but the only company I've seen that does that is Mercedes.

The supercharged MR2 and Previa are that way, its not that uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The twin-charged 1.4L VW engine they have in Europe also has a clutch on the blower. The ZR-1 and the new Audi V6 don't. I think it comes down to how the engine designers want to tune the power band.

I want to say it has something to do with twin screw vs. Roots type blowers, but the twin screw deal in the Ford GT doesn't have a clutch, and the Roots deal in the MR2/Previa does, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 27, 2009