Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
You've probably already listened to it, but I'll mention it just in case you haven't. Black Sabbath is goddamn essential. It basically set the entire stage for stoner and doom metal scene. In particular, check out Paranoid and Master of Reality. MoR has better production than Paranoid if you care about that, but both are brilliant albums.

Also, check out Kyuss. They were pioneers of the more modern stoner sound, and they kick rear end. Grab the album Blues for the Red Sun. It's trippy as gently caress. Just don't listen to it out of order. Some of the songs are pretty good on their own, but a lot of it doesn't make much sense. But, when you put it together it's really mind bending. They just pummel you with riffs. It's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

attackmole posted:

You've probably already listened to it, but I'll mention it just in case you haven't. Black Sabbath is goddamn essential. It basically set the entire stage for stoner and doom metal scene. In particular, check out Paranoid and Master of Reality. MoR has better production than Paranoid if you care about that, but both are brilliant albums.

Also, check out Kyuss. They were pioneers of the more modern stoner sound, and they kick rear end. Grab the album Blues for the Red Sun. It's trippy as gently caress. Just don't listen to it out of order. Some of the songs are pretty good on their own, but a lot of it doesn't make much sense. But, when you put it together it's really mind bending. They just pummel you with riffs. It's good stuff.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention Black Sabbath. Sabbath is by far one of my favorite bands of all time. The first five Sabbath albums get constant play time for me.

Thanks for the Kyuss recommendation, sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Chinaski posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check these out for sure.

I think I need to explore Merzbow a little more. I had checked out one track a while ago and it wasn't good. I can't remember the name of it unfortunately.

I like really aggressive sounding stuff, both in electronic music and rock. I'm not too keen on droning noise but I do like a "wall of sound" presence as well as the more manic stuff.

To follow up Soul Discharge, check out Seadrum/House of Sun. The B's not so good, but Seadrum is one amazing song. Just to give you a complete contrast to Soul Discharge just so you get to see their range.

Also, maybe look into some Black Dice. Kinda like Wolf Eyes on chill pills... or something. They're more on the Boredoms end of what you requested, so if you dig the Boredoms's noise stuff, check it.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Sirius Sam posted:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention Black Sabbath. Sabbath is by far one of my favorite bands of all time. The first five Sabbath albums get constant play time for me.

Thanks for the Kyuss recommendation, sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot.

Also try the Japanese band called Flower Travellin' Band. Especially their album Satori. Stoned, hard rock at it's very best.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Sirius Sam posted:

I've recently been getting into a lot of stoner/doom/sludge metal (whatever the gently caress they call it I don't even know) like Electric Wizard, Bongzilla, Sleep and Cathedral's early stuff. Electric Wizard's Dopethrone in particular I feel very strongly about. What are some other bands and/or albums I should check out?
This is all stoner metal/sludge that my girlfriend swears by. She's also into Goatsnake, High on Fire, and Isis. I like it too but personally I'm more into the doomier stuff.

Fiveace Attorney fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 1, 2008

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

SubtleDagger posted:

This is all stoner metal/sludge that my girlfriend swears by. She's also into Goatsnake, High on Fire, and Isis. I like it too but personally I'm more into the doomier stuff.

Such as? I'm interested in any suggestions for the 800 different sub-genres of sludge/doom/stoner.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Sirius Sam posted:

Such as? I'm interested in any suggestions for the 800 different sub-genres of sludge/doom/stoner.
Stoner metal would be stuff like that; I'd definitely check Kyuss, Black Sabbath, The Sword, Goatsnake, High on Fire, Comets on Fire, Sleep, Earth and Boris (also I advise avoiding Mastodon, if only because I think they suck). Isis is more post-metal but fans of that stuff tend to like them; other post-metal bands are Intronaut, Callisto, *shels, Pelican and Yakuza. My favorite doom metal acts are Kayo Dot, Esoteric, dISEMBOWELMENT, Shape of Despair (funeral doom) and My Dying Bride (The Angel and the Dark River being their best).

You'll definitely hear how these bands are very different from each other: the stoners all fuzz everything out and rely on power chords, the post-metal bands are very dynamic and more complex, the doom metal stuff is as slow as possible with incredibly dark vocals and almost orchestral melodies.

Fiveace Attorney fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 1, 2008

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Captain Charisma posted:

Yes, when I want to get into a band and want to hear an album, the first thing I do is skip to the middle and end of the album instead of listening to the entire thing!

I just think those are the most melodic/accessable/best songs on the album. Why not skip tracks? Everyone does it and most albums (including Crooked Rain) aren't filler-free.

Captain Charisma posted:

Crooked Rain is a really swift listen too, what the hell are you thinking? When people ask you for movie recommendations do you tell them to skip to scenes 13 and 17 and forget the rest of the movie?

This is a ridiculous analogy. Crooked Rain is just a collection of songs like any other, not some untouchable masterpiece that must be enjoyed in a specific order. I'm with you on Terror Twilight though, skip to Carrot Rope first because it's just the best.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
But he's not asking "Hey I'd like to hear Pavement's best songs" in which case I'd totally agree with you, he's asking where he should start. Telling a person to go listen to two of the best songs in an artist's catalog isn't telling them how to start, it's giving them false expectations for the rest, and a "start" isn't skimming through an album, it's listening to one then going on however you please, usually depending on what you liked from the album. I mean go through this entire thread. Is anyone telling people "Oh you wanna get into Radiohead, huh? Well just grab OK Computer and skip ahead to Let Down and No Surprises and you'll be set." They're telling them to listen to an album then giving directions where to go next depending on what they liked.

Not to mention telling someone to skip Silence Kit and now Spit on a Stranger should be bannable.

bedmobile
May 22, 2007
I'd like to try out Electronica.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bedmobile posted:

I'd like to try out Electronica.

Alrighty then, first things first: don't call it electronica. That's an iffy phrase that makes some people angry. Aside from that, and more importantly, electronic music is the most varied field of music imaginable. Computers, keyboards, and gadgets just don't have the same restrictions that other instruments have. SO, I'm going to type a big list of bands I'm going to recommend for various reasons.

Kraftwerk - These guys are old. I'm talking like, pushing retirement age old. They're one of the earliest electronic bands and are absurdly influential. They've had a very unique sound for their entire existence. You may or may not like them, but they're important for historic reasons.

Their sound can be a bit minimalistic for some, but that's kind of the beauty of it. Even though new and cool gadgets came out, they kept working on and tinkering with their own. Far as I know, they still never buy a lot of gear, choosing to make it themselves. Lots of beeps, bloops, and funny robot vocals.

Daft Punk - Some people hate them for being "too generic," but whatever. They're one of the most famous bands out there and are loved by many. I'm a bit of a fan myself, though they're just not quite aggressive enough for my tastes. Good example of electronic music, highly recommended.

Easier to listen to than a lot of electronic music. Nice and dancey when they need to be.

Wumpscut - Heavy industry. I mean, industrial. Pretty big in the world of nasty music. May be too strange for you, especially if you're new to electronic music.

This one might be a bit much for even electronic music veterans. Definitely a band that will never hit the mainstream. Rudy likes to distort his vocals and sing about dead babies and cannibalism.

Depeche Mode - Pick a song or album at random, it will most likely be good. Seriously, these guys are amazing at everything they do. More poppy than a lot of electronic music, but who cares? They rock. "Best of" albums are probably a good start.

Unprocessed vocals and a horrendous variety of electronic noises. Seriously...I swear they engineer new sounds for every song they make. The singer(s) usually have great voices too, which makes them even better.

Nine Inch Nails - Another industrial band. Very electronic, though you have probably heard of them at some point in your life. Older stuff is generally better than the newer stuff.

Yelling, screaming, thumpy drums, distorted guitars (sometimes), songs about addiction, depression, and so forth. Nasty. Negative.

Fatboy Slim - His music is goofy and lovable. Watch the video for Weapon of Choice some time. It has Christopher Walken in it. No, I'm not joking. More specifically, Palookaville is my favorite album of his, though all of them are stellar.

A lot of this guy's songs have samples from music from like the 60's. Sometimes they're goofy enough to make you giggle every time you listen to them. High-energy without being aggressive. Delightful music.

The Prodigy - If you like aggressive music that bites your face off, check out these guys. Quite fun to dance to.

THUMP THUMP THUMP YELL YELL YELL RAGH RAGH I'M ANGRY

Watch the video for Smack My Bitch Up. IT ISN'T SAFE FOR WORK WATCH IT AT HOME gently caress

Pigface - Everybody that has been in an industrial band has been in Pigface at some point. Seriously.

Utterly loving random.

Pthalocyanine - If you want to go off the deep end, here's some glitch. Some crazy, random glitch. It's all about mad noises, broken rhythms, and all sorts of electronic madness.

Seriously...this stuff pushes the envelope as far as weird music is concerned. Just an example of electronic musicians taking things really far.

Aphex Twin - The band that started the IDM (Intelligent Dance Music) craze. Well, the guy, actually...it's just Richard D. James doing...stuff.

The guy makes music with all sorts of wacky gadgets, programs, and computer bits (so I've heard). His music is varied and always interesting to listen to. Experimental.

I'm sewage flavored.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

... lots of artists, many of which are an odd choice to associate with a music style commonly known as electronica (Pigface? really?) ...

I honestly wasn't sure if the original request was just some twit taking the piss, since that's one of the music types that gets a LOT of threads started around these parts. Anyway, I'll give ToxicSlurpee the Kraftwerk and Daft Punk as pioneers of the genre in the former and modern big name successes for the latter. Also, Prodigy and Fatboy Slim are nice examples of the Big Beat type sound. Aphex Twin is the go-to for the glitchy style that often veers off into experimental territory. However, if you're really going to talk about music that is mostly instrumental made with electronic devices then it might be nice to check out some of the work of Orbital and The Orb. Orbital's early albums were delicious, with tracks like "Chime" and "Halycon On + On" becoming dance floor staples. However, look into albums like Snivilisation or In-Sides for work that can really peel back your skull. Patterson and The Orb make music for the chill out room. Go seek out the first LP for a nice slice of ambience.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hatelull posted:

I honestly wasn't sure if the original request was just some twit taking the piss, since that's one of the music types that gets a LOT of threads started around these parts. Anyway, I'll give ToxicSlurpee the Kraftwerk and Daft Punk as pioneers of the genre in the former and modern big name successes for the latter. Also, Prodigy and Fatboy Slim are nice examples of the Big Beat type sound. Aphex Twin is the go-to for the glitchy style that often veers off into experimental territory. However, if you're really going to talk about music that is mostly instrumental made with electronic devices then it might be nice to check out some of the work of Orbital and The Orb. Orbital's early albums were delicious, with tracks like "Chime" and "Halycon On + On" becoming dance floor staples. However, look into albums like Snivilisation or In-Sides for work that can really peel back your skull. Patterson and The Orb make music for the chill out room. Go seek out the first LP for a nice slice of ambience.

This is the reason the word "electronica" kind of bothers me. Same thing with the phrase "techno." On one hand, they ARE extremely specific labels that people who "know" electronic music. The thing is, I just kind of guessed me meant electronica in a general term, as some people like to throw that down as a huge blanket term for everything made with gizmos, computers, and keyboards.

As for the bands, well...I sort of had to dig my brain to get some things that weren't just a list of nasty stuff because I like industrial music more than anything else. Pigface just kind of creeped in there because they're made up of everybody that's ever been in an industrial/EBM band and touched a keyboard. Sort of a stretch, but you know.

Anyway...I'm going to also drop the name of Love Spirals Downwards into my list of recommendations. They're twirly ethereal music that's all guitar/synthesizer/vocals. Or some combination like that...they're nice, either way, and I've met like two other people that have heard of them.

I'm sewage flavored.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anyway...I'm going to also drop the name of Love Spirals Downwards into my list of recommendations. They're twirly ethereal music that's all guitar/synthesizer/vocals. Or some combination like that...they're nice, either way, and I've met like two other people that have heard of them.

Projekt had a lot of great stuff. Black Tape for a Blue Girl were excellent as well. You gotta love that mid-90's ambient goth.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hatelull posted:

Projekt had a lot of great stuff. Black Tape for a Blue Girl were excellent as well. You gotta love that mid-90's ambient goth.

Oh yes, they are indeed spectacular, and they're still around, it seems, but are the newer Projekt releases any good? I haven't listened to anything they dropped in the past like...three years.

I'm sewage flavored.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Any Brian Eno other than Here Come the Warm Jets?

I really liked this album, but I've heard his other stuff is hard to get in to.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Juttman posted:

Any Brian Eno other than Here Come the Warm Jets?

I really liked this album, but I've heard his other stuff is hard to get in to.

The other three rock albums from that era ('Taking Tiger Mountain', 'Another Green World' and 'Before and After Science') aren't notably more difficult than the first one - I mean, it's still anchored firmly in pop. 'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts' is wonderful too, basically the flip side of those early 80s Talking Heads records. Maybe the ambient music is difficult if you've never heard any before, but 'Ambient 1' is probably one of the better intros to that genre anyway - that, 'Apollo' and Tangerine Dream's 'Phaedra.'

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is the reason the word "electronica" kind of bothers me. Same thing with the phrase "techno." On one hand, they ARE extremely specific labels that people who "know" electronic music. The thing is, I just kind of guessed me meant electronica in a general term, as some people like to throw that down as a huge blanket term for everything made with gizmos, computers, and keyboards.

Not to start a genre argument, but 'electronica' is just a blanket term for 'electronic music'. There's nothing specific about it whatsoever

Now techno, on the other hand. Don't get me started on the misuse of that word...

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Amphigory posted:

Not to start a genre argument, but 'electronica' is just a blanket term for 'electronic music'. There's nothing specific about it whatsoever

Now techno, on the other hand. Don't get me started on the misuse of that word...

Speaking of which...are there any resources you might recommend that discuss the differences between various genres of electronic music? Ishkar's site is alright but it doesn't go into detail about the musical characteristics of the various styles.

Squidactyl
Mar 12, 2006
Pre-Columbian Goodness!

Dr. Platypus posted:

Gilbert and Sullivan. I already have recordings of H.M.S Pinafore and Pirates of Penzance, but I'm looking to branch out a bit more.

Start by rounding out the typical G & S pantheon with The Mikado. It is one of the tightist operettas, lyrically and musically, and well worth a listen. Trial By Jury (a personal favorite) and The Yeomen of the Guard are sure bets if you've liked everything thus far, they are typically released together so shouldn't be too hard to find. If you have a bit of money to spend, I would highly recommend this set. It has all the five operettas mentioned and is an excellent recording. Granted, it's not D'Oyle Carte, but good nonetheless. If you find yourself still wanting more, you can't beat Decca. Finally, this book not only provides the complete librettos, but also includes a good deal of the history surrounding the productions.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
With ELO, I have Out Of The Blue and Eldorado, where do I go next?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I really enjoyed the album titled 'Sunset Mission' by 'Bohren and the Club of Gore' (Bohren und der Club of Gore), but I have never heard anything similar, and I disliked their other albums. Does anyone have suggestions on this moody laid-back loungey noir type music, especially something like the piano piece from Prowler?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Jive One posted:

Speaking of which...are there any resources you might recommend that discuss the differences between various genres of electronic music? Ishkar's site is alright but it doesn't go into detail about the musical characteristics of the various styles.

I've always found Wikipedia a good place to start, to get an overall feel for how a genre sounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres

wildwookie05
Jul 5, 2008
Starting to get into some Kraut Rock, where should with Faust and Neu!
?

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
where do I start with Jedi Mind Tricks

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Thanks to 19charactersorless and the other guys who helped with Fall suggestions. I grabbed Hex today, very interested in seeing if I like it. Cheers! (edit: jesus gently caress this is insane. Hey there fuckface!! Hey there fuckface!!)

I yet seek instruction regarding Donovan though. Is there more stuff out there by like "Colours"? It's the only song I know (from a movie soundtrack) and I love it. Can anyone help?

Also, I really like Jackson Browne's guitar playing on Nico's album "Chelsea Girl" (the songs "These Days" and "The Fairest of the Seasons", also written by him). I found some video of him playing a sort of weary beaten-down version of "These Days", but I didn't like it nearly as much as the pristine, upbeat style of the Chelsea Girls version. Is this unlike of the stuff he released on his own, or is there similar gorgeous sunny fingerpicking stuff by him out there?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 5, 2008

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Help me get into Avail. I've got Over the James but I haven't listened to it yet. Is there something else I should try first?

Cosmonauticus
Feb 5, 2007

by Peatpot

Octavio posted:

Rush, Yes and King Crimson are three bands I've wanted to get into for a while. I've heard Tom Sawyer by Rush, I've seen all good people by Yes and 21st Century Schizoid Man and Epitaph by King Crimson. I like all of them =).

For Rush "Moving Pictures" is your best bet as it contains a couple songs popularized by music games. For King Crimson I would go with either "In the Court of the Crimson King" or "In the Wake of Poseidon" primarily because Cat Food is one of my all time favorite songs.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
What Bobby Conn stuff should I buy? I think the man has a special kind of brilliance which probably doesn't always translate to record. This is loving incredible though.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I just picked up the new Ayreon album. This is far and away not what I usually listen to, but it's intriguing.

What direction should I head in with these?

e: \/ Thanks, I'll buy it tomorrow.

kcer fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 10, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

kcer posted:

I just picked up the new Ayreon album. This is far and away not what I usually listen to, but it's intriguing.

What direction should I head in with these?

The Human Equation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Equation

The one I was recommended when I first got into them, has probably the best line up of an Ayreon album as well.

And it's not Eric CLAPTON, its Eric CLAYTON.

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
I just heard an amazing track on Pandora by Band of Horses, but forgot the name of it. Where should I get started with them? They seem to hit the sound I enjoy perfectly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

do it posted:

I just heard an amazing track on Pandora by Band of Horses, but forgot the name of it. Where should I get started with them? They seem to hit the sound I enjoy perfectly.

The Funeral, maybe? That was their first single. I saw it in a car commercial and they played it on a bunch of late night shows, too, back in 2006 (I think it was 2006, at least).

If I remember correctly, I liked their first album, Everything All The Time (the one that The Funeral is on) a lot better than the newer album, Cease To Begin. It's been a while since I've heard either of those albums, though.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Popcorn posted:

I yet seek instruction regarding Donovan though. Is there more stuff out there by like "Colours"? It's the only song I know (from a movie soundtrack) and I love it. Can anyone help?

You'd probably do all right just going with a compilation.

I'd suggest either this Greatest Hits album or Troubadour, which has some great songs on it. I was pleased to find a copy of the latter album at my local library.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Angiepants posted:

Help me get into Avail. I've got Over the James but I haven't listened to it yet. Is there something else I should try first?

4am Friday is awesome.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

do it posted:

They only have two albums, so it's not like you have a lot to wade through. Just get their first disc, as was mentioned. If you like it enough, get their second!

Pissing Art
Jun 28, 2008

Look out honey,
'cause I'm abusing ontology

Juttman posted:

With ELO, I have Out Of The Blue and Eldorado, where do I go next?

Listen to Time next and then go back and listen to their first self titled album.

Pyramid Head
Dec 31, 2007

Where do I start with Phish?

Pyramid Head fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 12, 2008

Dr. Magnificent
Sep 1, 2006

Yesterday I listened to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads. I liked it a lot and was wondering where to go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I've always been into Drum & Bass and Jungle, and lately I've been getting a little bored of it. I keep hearing about Dubstep and Grime, and from what I have heard (only really heard some Grime, but I liked it a lot) I'd like to get into this stuff. Where should I start with either of those?