Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

3D GAY WORLD and Scythe posted:

Tangerine Dream

Anything from their Virgin years is sure to please. Many of the later albums are way too New Age-y. I would recommend Stratosfear, or Ricochet, and Tangram or Exit. But seriously, the closer you get to "now", the worse it gets. All the others mentioned are great, as well.

I would also highly recommend getting the vinyl releases (relatively easy to find). At least don't get the CD re-releases. They add a ton of overly dated calliope sounds (among other things) from a typical muzak keyboard. The originals are all just nice analog goodness.

Edgar Froese's solo album Stuntman is also a good one to check out. Scarlet Score for Mescalero is one of my favorite songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

RobertKerans posted:

If there is any chance at all you can see them, go and see them. This is unlikely, though, as past the few shows they did in 2006, there hasn't been much seen of them. Seeing them on the EEVIAC tour was just about the best gig I've ever been to, and listening to the albums is better with context

So start with Is It...Man or Astro-Man?, their first release, which is a live recording. Then Intravenous Television Continuum and EEVIAC: Operational Index and Reference, both of which are great.

Then Destroy All Astromen!! is another live album, though not quite as good as their first. Then...well, it starts to get slightly repetetive. There's still great stuff on their other albums, but there don't seem to be enough new riffs to go around. Much as I love MoA-M?, I would be happy just having those first three albums, plus A Spectrum of Finite Scale. The earlier ones are more straight ahead space-surf music, and the later ones get more experimental as they start building their own samples rather than just taking it all from NASA or B-movies.

A Spectrum of Finite Scale is possibly the best album, but it was limited to 1000 copies, so it's hard to get hold of, and it's a lot more experimental than the rest of their stuff - to quote "done by members of the Astro Staff Live Division, in isolation or in pairs". It's much slower than everything else, without as much surf rock, and pretty trippy.

EDIT: no, EEVIAC's their best album, after just having a listen to it. Also the packaging is great, card cut like computer punch-cards with technical drawings of ancient computers. The artwork throughout all of their releases is awesome, but EEVIC's pretty special.

I would also like to recommend Experiment Zero and Made from Technetium. These two albums were always my favorite. Experiment Zero is a bit more surf focused but both are good and in my opinion can serve as the band in a nutshell.

Every album is a little different and special. A complete Man or Astro-man box set would be a cream dream.

Van or Astrovan
Oct 6, 2008

by Peatpot
Where do I start with The Residents?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Where do I start with Vangelis?

All I've heard is the Blade Runner soundtrack and I love it.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

jherrycurl posted:

Third Reich n' Roll is pretty awesome.

banme
Apr 23, 2008
David Bowie

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

fourteen hundred posted:

David Bowie

Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust and Low.

They're both really great albums.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
I'm starting to enjoy some post-hardcore, and looking for the best way to dive into the genre. I'm in love with Enter Shikari's Take to the Skies, and I like just about all I've heard from Silverstein and Chiodos. I'm kind of at a loss where to go from here though, most places I try to check end up getting mired in discussions of is it/isn't it a genre. From more informed fans than I, what are the essential albums I should check out?

Weltschmerz
Sep 26, 2008

Envisioned posted:

:words:
The definition of post-hardcore—or at least what sort of bands are considered post-hardcore—has certainly changed. I don't want to get into a pointless genre rant but it's important to recognise post-hardcore for what it has been in the past.

If you feel so inclined, I suggest you check out Fugazi's albums 13 Songs (1989) & The Argument (2001)—both albums are great in their own right and symbolise the rise and fall of a very influential band.

Other popular albums include Drive Like Jehu's Yank Crime (1994)and Rites of Spring's self-titled album (1985).

If you're still interested in bands that resemble Chiodos, check out this guy's charts.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Linden posted:

Can anyone recommend any good M.A.N.D.Y. tracks or mixes? House / Minimal people seem to absolutely be in love with them, but I don't really know too much about them. Im coming from the Trance side of the Dance scene, but I like plenty of House / Electro DJs like Justice and Boys Noize.

M.A.N.D.Y. are better DJs than producers, which owes to some of their popularity, so you might be better off downloading a random live set of them somewhere (or their released mix At The Controls). Anyway they're probably the weakest major producer on Get Physical in my opinion, most of their albums are mediocre, but here's a few i like:

Rockers Hi-Fi - Push Push (M.A.N.D.Y. 's Pusher Remix)
M.A.N.D.Y. vs Booka Shade - Body Language
M.A.N.D.Y. - Put Put (John Tejada remix)
Tiefschwarz - Damage (M.A.N.D.Y. vs Booka Shade remix)
M.A.N.D.Y. & The Sunsetpeople - Sunsetpeople
Lindstrom - I Feel Space (M.A.N.D.Y. remix)

Theyre basically a not-as-good version of Tiefschwarz, imo. Lopazz, Booka Shade, Chelonis R. Jones, Jona, Samim, Junior Boys, Noze, etc are more worth paying attention to on Get Physical

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

jherrycurl posted:

Start with Duck Stab / Buster & Glen. It's early period Residents, and it has some of their better known (in a relative sense) songs like "Sinister Exaggerator" and "Hello Skinny" on there.

From there, I'd go with Third Reich and Roll and then if you're feeling brave, maybe one of the concept albums like God In Three Persons or Eskimo.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

BV posted:

where do I start with Jedi Mind Tricks

Second this. Trying to expand my hip-hop library and have had them recommended to me a number of times.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Where should I start with The Mars Volta?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hamaien posted:

Where should I start with The Mars Volta?

De-Loused In The Comatorium, definitely.

I'd say go in chronological order after that. Personally, I find all their albums to be incredible, but that doesn't seem to be the case for most people if these forums are any indication.

Be sure to listen to the Tremulant EP, too.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Where do I start with Venetian Snares? Looks like the dude has like four thousand albums and I'm interested in some of his stuff or even the genre as a whole.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

insomne posted:

Where do I start with Venetian Snares? Looks like the dude has like four thousand albums and I'm interested in some of his stuff or even the genre as a whole.

I started with Rossz Csillag Alatt Született and it's an excellent album.

Pyramid Head
Dec 31, 2007

insomne posted:

I started with Chocolate Wheelchair Album and loved it.

e: Stupid typo

viva
Jan 18, 2007

Long live the jams.
I'd really like to get into Sigur Ros. Recommendations?

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

viva posted:

I started with Takk... a while back, followed with Ágćtis byrjun.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

viva posted:

Start with (). Wait until evening, turn off all the lights, turn up the volume to 'loud but comfortable', lay down on a comfortable spot of your choice, close your eyes and listen.

Anyway, Takk is their most accessible album, ignoring their new one (but that one is quite different from the rest), then work your way backwards. Spend time on each album at least, to get the feel of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

viva posted:

I'd go with Ágćtis byrjun and Međ suđ í eyrum viđ spilum endalaust.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OK, so, I used to hate rap, now kinda really like it, but there are a few I like more than others. For the first, the Beastie Boys, I've just got Sabotage and So Whatcha Want, and I've heard You Gotta Fight plenty, so where do I go from there?

Also, I've got Graduation from Kanye West, as well as his new single and Golddigger, like them alot, should I listen to his first few?

And one more thing, where do I start with popular '80s songs? Any specific CDs/collections that would be keen to get? Love me some good '80s music.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

viva posted:

Seconding (), but I would recommend waiting until it is snowy outside, and take a walk and listen. To me, at least, the album feels like being in cold weather but wearing a warm coat.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Yoshifan823 posted:

OK, so, I used to hate rap, now kinda really like it, but there are a few I like more than others. For the first, the Beastie Boys, I've just got Sabotage and So Whatcha Want, and I've heard You Gotta Fight plenty, so where do I go from there?
Paul's Boutique, Paul's Boutique, Paul's Boutique. Cannot be said enough. After that, you can probably just go chronologically (Check Your Head, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, in that order). Let's be honest here, Licensed To Ill is not that great of album, unless you're like fourteen and hearing it for the first time. You've heard "Fight For Your Right", you've pretty much heard the whole thing.

Unfortunately, I still haven't listened to anything but the singles off their last two albums, since graduating from high school apparently put an end to the Beastie-Boys-worship phase of my life (even though I still think Paul's Boutique is one of the best records ever), which means I can't really pass any judgment on those.

Black Celebration
Mar 25, 2007

a brief period of rejoicing.

Juttman posted:

Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust and Low.

They're both really great albums.

Seconded. For that matter, get the entire Berlin Trilogy (Low, Heroes, Lodger). Fantastically minimalist, and amazing vocals. "Heroes" and "Sound and Vision" are two of Bowie's best songs.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

Paul's Boutique, Paul's Boutique, Paul's Boutique. Cannot be said enough. After that, you can probably just go chronologically (Check Your Head, Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, in that order). Let's be honest here, Licensed To Ill is not that great of album, unless you're like fourteen and hearing it for the first time. You've heard "Fight For Your Right", you've pretty much heard the whole thing.
I don't really disagree with this and the most recent two albums were pretty ho-hum, but if you're lazy the Sounds of Science double album greatest hits thing is actually pretty good and has a lot of great B-Side material that you might not enounter going the album route

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak

Edawg06 posted:

Second this. Trying to expand my hip-hop library and have had them recommended to me a number of times.

In my opinion "Servants in Heaven Kings In Hell" is their best work.
I'd start with that.. Visions of Ghandi afterwards.. If you don't like those you probably won't like anything else they do.

bobz0r posted:

where do i start with Ben Folds

Supersunnyspeedgraphic LP.

Whatever and Ever Amen by Ben Folds 5 Too.

Verdance fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 30, 2008

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Fors Yard posted:

Seconding (), but I would recommend waiting until it is snowy outside, and take a walk and listen. To me, at least, the album feels like being in cold weather but wearing a warm coat.

Sigur Ros is the perfect accompaniment to walking in a snow storm, especially at night and there's not many people around.

Guerilla
Mar 6, 2005

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I.

insomne posted:

I found that initially albums were difficult to listen to all the way through. For this reason, the "Hospitality" EP was a great introduction for me. It clocks in at around 25 minutes, but trust me, you'll be exhausted after those 25 minutes (in a good way).

Here's a link to the opening track, a great one called "Frictional Nevada" (on YouTube).

Guerilla fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 31, 2008

Guerilla
Mar 6, 2005

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I.
edit: sorry, double post.

Guerilla fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 31, 2008

Plain Bagels
Sep 13, 2008
I loved everything Sonic Youth did on Daydream Nation, specifically Teenage Riot, Eric's Trip, and Candle. Where should I go from there?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Plain Bagels posted:

I loved everything Sonic Youth did on Daydream Nation, specifically Teenage Riot, Eric's Trip, and Candle. Where should I go from there?

That's a tough one. In terms of accessibility, I would go with Murray Street or work backwards to Sister and EVOL.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Plain Bagels posted:

Sister, Goo, EVOL, Murray Street.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Plain Bagels posted:

I'd say go for EVOL. That was the first Sonic Youth album I ever heard, and I instantly fell in love with it. I heard Daydream Nation a few months later and loved it even more, but nothing else that Sonic Youth has done has seemed as awesome as those two albums to me.

A Loaf of Bread
Mar 19, 2008

Moe_Rahn posted:

Let's be honest here, Licensed To Ill is not that great of album, unless you're like fourteen and hearing it for the first time. You've heard "Fight For Your Right", you've pretty much heard the whole thing.

I disagree with this. Although it's clearly nowhere near as good as Paul's Boutique, I still think it's a good album, and is certainly not just for fourteen-year-olds. I mean honestly, stuff like Paul Revere is classic Beastie Boys. I would say just listen to the albums chronologically.

hot carling academy
Jul 20, 2008
Where should I start with David Axelrod and Herbie Hancock? I've heard a few songs, but they both have quite a substantial discography. Any advice on what albums to hear first?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
The first Herbie Hancock album I got was Headhunters and I think it is great.

I recently fell in love with Giant Steps by John Coltrane. What should I get next?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
What is Jimi Hendrix's best work?

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Where should I start with Elvis Costello?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Brownie posted:

What is Jimi Hendrix's best work?

Are You Experienced?, Electric Ladyland, and Live at the Fillmore East are excellent, but honestly, I'd just get everything. It's all the best.