Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

NVaderJ posted:

For the driving I do, yes I get 13 mpg. I drive approximately two miles to work, and I assume that the low speed (speed limit is 25 the whole 2 miles) and four stop signs conspire with cold Michigan winters to keep my fuel economy in peak-oil-inducing levels. On longer trips I get up around 17-17.5 on the highway.

That makes sense. My xj on 33" mud terrains gets 15mpg most the time, but I do mostly country driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Sup cousins.

A car that thinks it is a Jeep, or a Jeep that thinks it is a car?

I say a Jeep that LOOKS like a car :cool:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Obligatory dinojeep, for the megathread:

Moving on now....

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Boomerjinks posted:

Obligatory dinojeep, for the megathread:

Moving on now....

Hey Boomer, is that an HDR pic?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

The King of Swag posted:

I want to say no, because of the clouds. It looks like it's just a really well-composed single exposure.

Trent Lott in 08
Oct 16, 2003

Burn the village, rape & pillage.
I'm the happy driver of an 04' Ruby. The guy that used to own it never rotated the knobby tires, so I had to replace them over the weekend. I wanted to throw on a set of mudeaters, but it wouldn't have been all that practical. I ended up grabbing some decent all terrains, but I still feel like less of a man for it, no matter how practical the purchase was.

That said, I wouldn't mind getting a little trail time in with her, if someone that knew what the hell they were doing were leading the way. Any bay area goons want to hit a trail sometime, let me know.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Well, I guess it's time to chime in.

Jeep from Jeep:

Jeep behind Jeep:

Jeeps done:

Oh yeah, and the good stuff. My (wife's) uncle's 1974:

An awesome flatbed Jeep Forward Control FC170 I saw on the side of the road a few years back. I'd love to own one some day!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

CatBus posted:

An awesome flatbed Jeep Forward Control FC170 I saw on the side of the road a few years back. I'd love to own one some day!

That is unspeakably cool.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Yet another cool thing about Jeeps. They never changed the body panels. You can retrofit a grill and headlights like this one on any Wagoneer or J Truck. The front panel is exactly the same, its just covered up with the huge chrome grill.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

renraku posted:

That is unspeakably cool.

Unspeakably rare, as all Forward control jeeps are.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Omg50BMG posted:

Unspeakably rare, as all Forward control jeeps are.

Not really. There are probably quite a few more 4x4s from the same era that are just as rare if not more. I've seen a few of them come up on CL for <$6500 in reasonable (but far from perfect) shape. We've had three of them in the shop: An FC150, a 170 and a M678 (which is a military VAN FC that IS unspeakably rare - I think we sold it for $18-20 grand restored).

Rare, but really nothing to be crazy about how rare they are. If someone wants to acquire one (at least in Colorado/Rockies) you can get one with a couple of months of searching/waiting and ~6000-8000 bucks. The price is actually a steal considering what the much more common FJ40s in this area in similar condition are going for.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

The King of Swag posted:

Frosty- posted:

I want to say no, because of the clouds. It looks like it's just a really well-composed single exposure.

It is in fact HDR, taken with the help of Bruno_me. We went down to Boulder back in October and took a whole slew of fancy HDR shots of the jeep and the ectocar.

You can see their original, monstrous sizes here:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/HUGE%20Pictures/JeepHDR-hi.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/HUGE%20Pictures/JeepHDR3-hi.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/HUGE%20Pictures/JeepHDR2-hi.jpg

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Boomerjinks posted:

It is in fact HDR, taken with the help of Bruno_me.
That's amazing. I would have expected the clouds to have huge halos.

That Jeep really does look cool.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 22, 2008

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma

The King of Swag posted:

It is infuriating that the 4.0L is the last of the I6 family as Daimler killed it for no other reason than internal politics. The official response when it was killed off was that it couldn't meet smog, but any half-wit could tell you another redesign on the head would do the engine wonders. For christ sakes, Chrysler in the mid 90s had a working redesign of the head that didn't do much for fuel mileage but severely reduced emissions and boosted the power of the engine.

I heard that the tooling was also wearing out and that it would be very expensive to replace. That could be a total bullshit rumor, but that's what I've heard had an impact as well.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

CatBus posted:

Jeep behind Jeep:

Cool, you drive Hound! Or is it Swindle?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

decahedron posted:

I heard that the tooling was also wearing out and that it would be very expensive to replace. That could be a total bullshit rumor, but that's what I've heard had an impact as well.

The tooling went on a boat to China, where the motor is still being produced.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Here's my '99 TJ (same pic I always pimp out):

Somewhere in the hills near Cle Elum, WA. That was a fun trail.

Anyway, still working toward my new Ruby. Every time I get close to taking the plunge, something comes up and sets it back a few months. :(

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

Boomerjinks posted:

Cool, you drive Hound! Or is it Swindle?

More likely Hound, but still the wrong color. I've had that decal on there for about five years, and it's falling off at this point. I'll probably buy another one to replace it ;)

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Where did you find such a large one?

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Pacific Rim Job posted:

We got a JK (08 Unlimited Rubicon 6spd) last week, took it out this weekend for some tame fun. With no one to pull us out if we got stuck, we didn't do anything that was likely to get us stuck. New front bumper with winch is on the way.

This was before we adorned the brand new paint with pinstripes when the trail narrowed. :D The flares are also scratched to poo poo, and that's how we like it.

Sup, Fellow red rock unlimited owner? I have an 07 unlimited in red rock myself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a question for other Jeep owners. What's the correct way to incorporate the spare into rotating the tires? Does anyone even do this?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

"On rear-wheel or four-wheel drive cars with full-size matching spare, rotate the tires in a rearward cross pattern (Figure G)"

Link

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
How does an electronic sway bar disconnect work? I mean you push a button and what happens, mechanically speaking? Stays connected somehow allowing drop, comes disconnected or what?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

How does an electronic sway bar disconnect work? I mean you push a button and what happens, mechanically speaking? Stays connected somehow allowing drop, comes disconnected or what?

Electromagnets. Then a motor moves the sway bar up when you reconnect it so it can reattach with the magnet.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

ZippySLC posted:

Electromagnets. Then a motor moves the sway bar up when you reconnect it so it can reattach with the magnet.

Are you making GBS threads me? Seriously?

gently caress.:monocle:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

ZippySLC posted:

That's pretty loving impressive.

I'm off to search youtube for videos of this.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
This guy put the swaybar disconnect in his YJ. You used to be able to get the entire assembly for $80, but it was priced wrong, and DC caught on and raised the price to $1800.

Anyway, this is how the guy says it works:

quote:

HOW THE JK SWAY BAR WORKS

I am not an engineer, but in the process of figuring this modification out I did completely disassemble the JK electric sway bar. This is what I found:

The JK electric sway bar assembly is really simple. It connects and disconnects with the use of an electric motor. There is no need to detach the sway bar links, as we normally do with manual disconnects. There is an electric motor in the middle of the swaybar.

When turned on this motor pushes a plunger against a plate. When pushed by the plunger the plate moves in about 1 inch thereby disconnecting the swaybar. There is apparently a sleeve inside the assembly that moves along the sway bar on splines. Probably much like the Dana 30 vacuum disconnect system.

The plunger is driven by a screw which is turned by the electric motor. When the plunger reaches the limits of its travel the motor turns off and a “magnetic brake” engages to hold the plunger in place against the disconnect plate. The magnetic brake is what appears to be a coil with a magnet on top. The JK computer maintains current to this magnetic brake until the user wants to reconnect the swaybar, at which time the current is removed from the magnet. When this happens, the plunger, which is spring loaded, returns to the connected position and the swaybar reconnects. So the default/poweroff position on the sway bar is connected.

Now, reading the JK forum, I've found that people are having issues with the swaybar disco not reconnecting. I haven't tried it on mine yet (oh, yah, I bought an Unlimited Rubicon the other day) but I'm sure it's probably broken on mine as well. It's a Jeep thing... :)

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
It seems neat, but I really fail to see the purpose. Another example of the overall pussification of the "jeep" attitude.

If you need to disconnect/reconnect your sway bar.... You probably have two seconds to pop out of the truck and use manual disconnects. In all likelyhood you should also be airing down... When you want to reconnect you will be airing back up...

Seems like it would only be effective if your daily commute involves the need for maximum flex and also fairly high-speed highway/city cornering and you can't be bothered to disco manually?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ZippySLC posted:

Now, reading the JK forum, I've found that people are having issues with the swaybar disco not reconnecting. I haven't tried it on mine yet (oh, yah, I bought an Unlimited Rubicon the other day) but I'm sure it's probably broken on mine as well. It's a Jeep thing... :)
I've seen a good design where the lever arm on one end is attached to the torsion bar using an old manual locking front hub. I'm sure you could easily rig up an electrical system if you wanted a dash push-button activation.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Disciple of Pain posted:

It seems neat, but I really fail to see the purpose. Another example of the overall pussification of the "jeep" attitude.

If you need to disconnect/reconnect your sway bar.... You probably have two seconds to pop out of the truck and use manual disconnects. In all likelyhood you should also be airing down... When you want to reconnect you will be airing back up...

Seems like it would only be effective if your daily commute involves the need for maximum flex and also fairly high-speed highway/city cornering and you can't be bothered to disco manually?

Since when is "Being neat" not enough reason to do something?

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Aran posted:

Since when is "Being neat" not enough reason to do something?

Because Jeep shouldn't do things for that reason. Let Land Rover (which used to be utilitarian like Jeep, but in this country they are way too far gone so gently caress it), BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc do that poo poo.

Driving a jeep should be a manly experience, if you are too much of a pussy to reach your arm in and disconnect a sway bar you need to drive a Liberty, not a Wrangler. I drove a CJ5 for a while and at times it loving sucked, but that was part of the experience which I loved. THAT is what "Its a Jeep thing" is all about. I honestly don't think the "jeep thing" brotherhood exists in much more than "same car buddies we like driving in the MUD" these days.

/soapbox.

(also I almost bought a Wrangler Rubi Unlimited, so don't get me wrong they are great trucks I'm just a huge cynic and long for the jeeps of old I guess. Dealing with the original "Jeep" every day has that effect on you)

Octavio Barnaby Sr.
Feb 23, 2004

Where you're going, there are no jokes.
Well, that and Jeeps should be very simple.
Neat stuff is neat, but neat stuff often breaks.

Simple, boring, overbuilt stuff lasts forever and rarely breaks when you need it.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Octavio Barnaby Sr. posted:

Well, that and Jeeps should be very simple.
Neat stuff is neat, but neat stuff often breaks.

Simple, boring, overbuilt stuff lasts forever and rarely breaks when you need it.

Well yeah, that's the other reason why I wish Jeep would be more like the utilitarian Jeeps of old. Why use a motor and magnet and various other craziness when a bolt and nut or even a pin will do just fine, be more reliable, cheaper, etc.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Disciple of Pain posted:

Well yeah, that's the other reason why I wish Jeep would be more like the utilitarian Jeeps of old. Why use a motor and magnet and various other craziness when a bolt and nut or even a pin will do just fine, be more reliable, cheaper, etc.

Then buy a Sahara or an X without the disconnect. It's only on the Rubicon.

The Wrangler is still a very utilitarian vehicle. It's been on the market forever and only now has got optional power windows and locks. It's still got solid axles. It still has removable doors and a fold down windshield. It has drain plugs in the floor to get water out when you get it wet inside. There's more painted metal in the interior than plastic.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Can you get an X or Sahara with the 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, and lockers?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Can you get an X or Sahara with the 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, and lockers?

In 2007 you could get an X with the 4.10 gears and a rear locker. They deleted those options for MY 2008.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

ZippySLC posted:

The Wrangler is still a very utilitarian vehicle. It's been on the market forever and only now has got optional power windows and locks. It's still got solid axles. It still has removable doors and a fold down windshield. It has drain plugs in the floor to get water out when you get it wet inside. There's more painted metal in the interior than plastic.

THIS.

When I started stripping mine, the first thing to go was the rollcage, which took the seatbelts with it. The fender flares came off, leaving these giant tires sticking out the sides that threw whatever you drove through at the back of your head. I had to replace the windshield seal so I left it unhinged. It was like a gigantic gokart! Driving that thing, with the windows down, doors off, and no seatbelt, between my house and where it was being prepped and painted rates as one of the top five coolest driving experiences of my life. Turning right and holding onto the steering wheel so as not to fall out of the loving car... I loved it.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Boomerjinks posted:

THIS.

When I started stripping mine, the first thing to go was the rollcage, which took the seatbelts with it. The fender flares came off, leaving these giant tires sticking out the sides that threw whatever you drove through at the back of your head. I had to replace the windshield seal so I left it unhinged. It was like a gigantic gokart! Driving that thing, with the windows down, doors off, and no seatbelt, between my house and where it was being prepped and painted rates as one of the top five coolest driving experiences of my life. Turning right and holding onto the steering wheel so as not to fall out of the loving car... I loved it.

You realize you drive a YJ, right? A whole lot closer on the utilitarian spectrum to a CJ than a JK, which is what we were talking about.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Disciple of Pain posted:

You realize you drive a YJ, right? A whole lot closer on the utilitarian spectrum to a CJ than a JK, which is what we were talking about.

Of course. I was just agreeing with the whole 'love of basics'. If jeeps were just another small SUV, like a CRV or something.... well there wouldn't be anything special.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.
I have a question... I've wanted a Jeep for quite a while, just an old beater. How are Jeeps for moderate/light towing? Could a 4.0 Wrangler or Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) pull, say, an aluminum trailer with a <3,000 lb car for up to 100 miles or so, maybe 200 max?

I don't want to buy a truck just to be able to tow a car trailer, because a Jeep would be infinitely more practical and, well, fun. I know the short wheelbase of the Wrangler might limit its towing ability, so I'm thinking an old beater late-80s to early-90s Cherokee might be the ticket. They show up for around $2k in decent shape whereas a Wrangler is almost never under $5k in any drivable condition.