Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mattfl posted:

You could find one for 2-3k and put another 2-3k in it yourself and have it look like whatever they're going to do to it for half the price.
This is very true and valid.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Maybe, but I don't have the time or space to take on a project like that myself, I'd rather pay someone else to do it :shrug:
As is this.

Personally, I generally fall more on the side of buying one with the issues I'm willing to fix, then do it myself for cheap. But if your time is more valuable than $x dollars, then it's perfectly valid to fall on the other side of it, and I've certainly done both.

I'd look hard at the work he's doing and what guarantees he will provide, but beyond that, it's just a matter of whether it's worth it for you. I wouldn't pay $13k for a YJ unless it was mint, and probably not even if it was, but I can certainly the appeal of a halfway decent looking YJ. I'd totally drive that reddish Renegade around if I could pick it up for a few grand. (... and with the 4.0...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If he's buying them out of state you should pay very very close attention to the frame. Flip shops do all kinds of scary stuff to frames to make them look nice while avoiding fixing them right...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

For me to really save money on something like that it would have to be a Jeep that needs a lot of work. As in manual labor. I was in a bad car accident this past july, my neck and back are all hosed up, and I have permanent brain damage that has hosed up my memory and focusing ability so taking on a project like that would be a huge (and painful) undertaking for me. Never mind that I don't have the proper space to do it.

I'm still looking for now, and if I can find a nice STOCK 4.0 TJ that doesn't have a shitload of miles and was taken care of for around 13k I'll be all over it.

kastein posted:

If he's buying them out of state you should pay very very close attention to the frame. Flip shops do all kinds of scary stuff to frames to make them look nice while avoiding fixing them right...

Oh trust me, I'll be the one giving the ok on the Jeep they will be using if i go this route. The owner even said they don't start the project without customer approval of the Jeep first. And I have no qualms stopping by unannounced to check on progress and inspect what's going on.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

kastein posted:

I got really lucky on a TJ that popped up for sale when I was looking. It looked really nice except it was missing flares and he wanted $2950 which set off some red flags. I asked him why it was so cheap and what was the frame like. Luckily, he was honest. He'd just bought it a week or two before and had taken it to the car wash to clean mud off the undercarriage when the wand started blowing chunks of expanding foam out of the frame rails around where the LCAs attach. He said it looked fine and was really convincing when he bought it and was losing a couple grand on it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah if you don't inspect a Wrangler frame with a screwdriver and a magnet these days you are looking to get taken for a ride. If the owner won't let you because you might scratch the frame paint, walk on the deal. Bring a can of good quality spray paint to fix any scratches.

I've heard of people filling gaping holes in the frame rails with mortar and then bondoing over it, sanding it, and painting it. So it looks like it was never rusted. It's sad how people will put more time and work into hiding it than it would take to fix it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Yeah, that one was Great Stuff type foam and body filler carefully shaped and sanded. He said he felt ill once he saw it.

And if they are rusty, they get worse fast. A friend of mine bought an '02 with the Apex package and it needed patched when he bought it. He drove it a little in the fall and let it sit over winter and holy cow... It went from "this will need patched" to "let's find a route to the shop without railroad tracks so it doesn't break in half on the way to get capped".

I wasn't available the weekend he bought it or I would have tried to talk him out of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

I've heard of people filling gaping holes in the frame rails with mortar and then bondoing over it, sanding it, and painting it. So it looks like it was never rusted. It's sad how people will put more time and work into hiding it than it would take to fix it.

Yeah right, buy a cheap welder and learn how to weld.

I haven't run into any elaborate poo poo trying to hide it yet, but so far I've seen two that were painted over. One of them just around the wheel wells where the frame is visible for pictures, then I got underneath it and the rust was everywhere. The other one the guy must have used four or five cans of spray paint, even left one of the spray can caps laying under the Jeep lol.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, if you're willing to spend that much, expand your distance. $13k, even accounting for transport costs, should easily find a good TJ somewhere.

Bonus points if you find one that's in good condition other than the soft top, because that's an easy job to replace.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just had an '01 4.0 MT pop up at a dealer not too far away with 84k miles for 11 grand....Hey not bad right?

*checks carfax*

*from Illinois*

:saddowns:

In an add with 35 pictures, conveniently none of the undercarriage hmm wonder why :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 23, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That and 01 falls in the TUPY 0331 year range, so you'd want to check it out carefully

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that too, kinda at the point where I think I'd just eliminate those to begin with, and just stay with a 97 to 99 or 03 and later.

[e] Had a stock '06 with 120k miles just pop up, asking 10k....Ok, looks good lemme message the guy.....And he brought it down from Pennsylvania wtf :argh:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 24, 2020

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Had a buddy cut and bend some diamond plate to make an LJ trunk :kiddo:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

beanieson posted:

Had a buddy cut and bend some diamond plate to make an LJ trunk :kiddo:

Slick. Nicely done.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yeah, I’ve been meaning to get my wheels powder coated and while I’m there I’m gonna have the shop do this too.

It’s not like super secure or anything, but it’s a real pain in the rear end to get into place or remove. Debating drilling it out and bolting it to the wheel wells.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone here own a early Pentastar Wrangler that has had problems?

A 2012 JK popped up for sale near me for a pretty good price, but after reading about the head problems and casting sand issues on the Wrangler forums I'm not sure if I want to roll the dice or not.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Anyone here own a early Pentastar Wrangler that has had problems?

A 2012 JK popped up for sale near me for a pretty good price, but after reading about the head problems and casting sand issues on the Wrangler forums I'm not sure if I want to roll the dice or not.

I had a 2012 Rubi. Had the dealer replace the head under the recall and never had any issues other than that. I would still have it today except I sold it for a down payment for a house. I miss it everyday (2 door, manual)

Btw, I bought it brand new, had it for 6 years, and sold it for $6K less than I bought it.

Edit: oh wait, I had to replace the clock spring after like 4 years :shrug:

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Not sure what to do. I'm getting a free warranty replacement for my Smittybilt JKU top. Top was only 8 month old when one of the tension cables broken.

Should I:
1. Put the replacement top on, keep new windows as spares...already have 1 faded set in storage
2. Buy the Mopar cable for $80 and repair this top, then sell warranty top to come out even on new cables
2a. I fully expect the other cable to break, just wait for that to break too. The top when I bought the Jeep was a 4 year old Smittybilt with broken cables
3. Jury rig a fix for the cable
4. Do nothing, ignore the flappy top
5. Sell both tops, get a different brand

I hear the twill tops are really nice, but they don't look great on red Jeeps. Wife doesn't like the trek top look so that's out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did* an oil change on a WJ. Also noticed the accessory belt was near toast and after taking it off to look closer, one of the pulleys was about to poo poo the bearing completely so did those too.

*guided and cleaned up after a friend who wanted to do it

I didn't look closely at the rear end while we were poking around it but I checked the build sheet while shooting him a list of parts to buy afterwards, and I think he's got himself a bit of a unicorn. 4.0, but the build sheet claims it has a D44A rear and variloks in both axles. Waiting on him to send me a photo under the rear to confirm that it is the 44. Also, his 4.0 sounds orders of magnitude less noisy than mine, and it has nearly the same mileage.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Speaking of WJ noise, I've been chasing a vac leak for the better part of a year. Can really only hear it on the highway when off the throttle. I've been thinking about hitting a parts store and buying a few feet of line and replacing each segment. None have really obvious cracks, but who knows.

Also wanna get around to seafoaming eventually, Project Farm on youtube seemed to have really good luck on his Ranger and it'd be nice nice to not sound like a tractor on a cold start.

Since I've been furloughed, I also plan on doing the heater core and the AC, so I won't have to recharge it every other year anymore. Bought a Rough Country steering damper, but I haven't felt much like wrenching lately, what with a hernia pooching out of my belly button.

But! My niece came and stayed the weekend with us, and I took her offroading a little on some of the old fireroads and logging trails and she had a fun time. She took all kinds of pictures and loved grabbing at stuff out of the windows and sun roof. Goofy kid! No deep mud really, but it was still a great weekend and a great reminder of why I love my rustbucket to begin with.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I finally got one!

1997 4cyl 5 speed, 125k miles, got it for $4k.

I originally wanted the 4.0, but the price was right on this one. Compared to what I've been looking at I got a steal, really. Most wranglers in this price range are over 200k miles and completely trashed.

Also came from the factory with no a/c which I love, that's rare in Florida :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

One of us

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Didn’t know you could option no A/C that late.

All the A/C vents are just there for show?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

beanieson posted:

Didn’t know you could option no A/C that late.

All the A/C vents are just there for show?

Heat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's surprising how many no-A/C TJs there are in AZ. To be fair, the factory setup is only marginally effective at dealing with extreme heat, but it is way better than nothing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And honestly with the woeful 4cyl I'd rather not have the drag of an a/c compressor on it anyway.

It's gonna need work, already getting a clunking noise from the left rear lol

Probably gonna take it to the local Jeep shop and have them gimmie a rundown of what it's gonna need and I'll decide from there what to do first. I'm honestly just happy it's rust free and clean, mechanical poo poo can be fixed.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yeah, of course :ughh:

My dads old YJ had no A/C either but it had vents for heat too

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I saw you mention the top was crap in the chat thread - I'm still happy with my $200ish import top a year into things. Unlike a Miata top it is very DIY-able without any real tricks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So when I was looking at the Jeep the guy said it had been sitting for a few years, so he put a new battery in it, fuel pump, ecm and gave it a tune up (plugs cap rotor). Oil was also changed and new coolant put in. He mentioned that the 1997 MY doesn't have a fuel filter, just the sock on the pump does that sound right? If so I should probably get some sort of aftermarket in line fuel filter. [e] apparently the filter is a part of the pump assembly

It runs really good so I didn't think much of it, then when I was scheduling an appointment to do the tax/tag/title (which won't be for another month because of loving covid) I see the Jeep was last registered in 2009, so it's been sitting for ten loving years apparently.

It drove good for the most part considering it has old rear end tires on it and needs the front end rebuilt, but as far as the engine I did notice a lot of sluggishness with it feeling like it wanted to bog down in 5th gear, so I just left it in 4th. How much this relates to the 4cyl just being a dog I'm not sure but it did not want to go above 4th gear at all. I also noticed a burning smell when I got home.....Not oil or coolant but more of a plastic burning kind of smell.....Hope it's not the clutch :ohdear:

So this should be interesting. I either got a screaming deal or a money pit :v:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I saw you mention the top was crap in the chat thread - I'm still happy with my $200ish import top a year into things. Unlike a Miata top it is very DIY-able without any real tricks.

I'm just going to get a bikini top for it and then have a cab cover, this is gonna be a beach Jeep so I don't need a top :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 8, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why would that need to be replaced?

It drove good for the most part considering it has old rear end tires on it and needs the front end rebuilt, but as far as the engine I did notice a lot of sluggishness with it feeling like it wanted to bog down in 5th gear, so I just left it in 4th. How much this relates to the 4cyl just being a dog I'm not sure but it did not want to go above 4th gear at all. I also noticed a burning smell when I got home.....Not oil or coolant but more of a plastic burning kind of smell.....Hope it's not the clutch :ohdear:

Those are definitely bigger than stock tires. It's possible that you also have some tall axle gearing that was marginal with the stock tires and basically blocks off fifth gear for you now. I'm going to 4.56 gears in mine because while I can hold highway speed in fifth, even an overpass is a bit much.

Steering linkage rebuild below the steering box is easy. Control arms are also easy, except for the axle side bushings.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My only 4cyl experience was from a YJ, so I don't know if the TJ is significantly heavier or what, but it did okay in fifth gear on flat ground. I think I had 33" tires on mine. The only time cruising in 5th let me down was trying to climb mountains on the interstate in Kentucky.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The CJ7 does fine in 5th too, although going up anything more than a very mild incline will need a downshift. I can't imagine they made the engine worse after 10 years and fuel injection...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why would that need to be replaced?

He said the gauges weren't working and it was running like poo poo and a new ecm fixed it, sounded odd that the gauges had anything to do with it but everything works.

It runs really well and is not over heating, it just bogs really bad in 5th. However I am a bit worried it may have been over heated at one time and cooked everything before it was parked for ten years, been there done that with old cheap cars.

Taking it to Jeepetos, a local Jeep place on wednesday and they said they would go over it for free, so hopefully there isn't anything that's gonna make me have to empty my wallet

[e] all the fluids are going to have to be replaced for sure I know that, and probably a U joint from the clunking. Who knows what the burning smell is either :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 8, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So this should be interesting. I either got a screaming deal or a money pit :v:

As a Jeep, it can be both.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's like gambling, roll the dice!

:tif:

[e] I just messaged the PO who has been super cool about answering questions, he said he cleaned out the tank really good and added fresh gas when he did the fuel pump so it's at least not a bad gas issue. I should probably put some seafoam or techron in the tank and fill it up....Maybe it just needs an Italian tune up :getin:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 8, 2020

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Or, wait for it.....vent.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He said the gauges weren't working and it was running like poo poo and a new ecm fixed it, sounded odd that the gauges had anything to do with it but everything works.

Gauges in a TJ are almost entirely driven by the computer, so that actually makes sense. If I ever engine-swap mine I will likely keep the Jeep computer in place just to run the gauge cluster.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Speaking of TJ gauges, my 99 TJ's gauges will occasionally go dead for a bit. No tach, speedometer, etc and the odometer will say "NO BUS" or something like that. A quick tap or two on top of the dash or hitting a bump in the road usually brings it back pretty quick or it does on its own before too long so I'm guessing it's loose wiring or something silly like that. Anyone know where I need to start looking for the gremlins?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Connector on the back of the cluster famously goes bad and causes that, I believe.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Krakkles is right.

There's a fuel filter on TJs and 97+ XJs, people just don't know it. It's the stainless steel puck on top of the fuel sending unit. Yes, you usually have to drop the tank to replace it. Or cut a hole in the floor in exactly the right spot. I forget the part number but it's a 3 in 1 device, it's the FPR, filter, and check valve that keeps the fuel lines and rail from draining back with the engine off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ugh.....I figured out what the clunking in the left rear was

:ughh: