Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I use the baggie method, and write the part description on the bag with a felt pen. The cheap store brand freezer (not storage) bags work great for this. I either attach the baggie to the part, or put them in a tray to keep them together, and in order of removal. Then I just work backwards through the tray when it goes back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey, hey, hey:

£25 for an 18v drill, grinder, jigsaw, torch and charger with two batteries. Standard Aldi 3-year warranty.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Used my Makita hex impact driver to remove and reinstall blade bolts I know were air impacted in last year. Pretty stoked about that.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I've got a ton of bodywork to do, any suggestions for random orbit/DA sanders?

I've got plenty of air but electric would work too.

E: What about :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004XOSZ/ref=cm_rdp_product

?

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 20, 2010

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I thought this was silly at first glance but, thinking about it, it actually makes a lot of sense.

It's obviously not the manliest tool carrier around, but it certainly does the job.

What do you guys use to lug your stuff around? I've always favoured using a good old fashioned upright hand trolley with my toolboxes tied in with straps.

But if I ever do get my hands on a baby carriage, I may just have to give some serious consideration to using it.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Is a Porter Cable random orbital polisher worth buying to keep up with waxing & polishing four cars? I'm looking at this one, which includes pads & backing plate for $160 shipped:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpol-kit.html

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Is a Porter Cable random orbital polisher worth buying to keep up with waxing & polishing four cars? I'm looking at this one, which includes pads & backing plate for $160 shipped:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpol-kit.html

Yes they are definitely worth it. You can find a better price than that on amazon though. And for 4 cars you'll want more pads than that. They get gummed up with polish and clearcoat/paint after about half a car generally in my experience.

I've spent a ton of money on detailing stuff and if I could go back in time I would buy only these things. For polish I recommend Meguiar's 105 and Meguiar's 205 if you are a beginner they are both very easy to work with and give you a good range of correction abilities with the following pads.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46/
http://www.amazon.com/White-Polishing-Smart-Pads-inch/dp/B0012O81LS
http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Light-Cutting-Smart-Pad-3/dp/B0012OA6LQ
http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Finishing-Smart-Pads-Pad-3/dp/B0012OAYCC
http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Action-Hook-Flexible-Backing-Plate/dp/B0008G1RDK

If you buy all this stuff on Autogeek.net right now you get 15% off with coupon code Northpole

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 20, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I picked up a porter cable and some lake country pads this summer and it has made all the difference in the word in both speed and quality.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Brain Issues posted:

Yes they are definitely worth it...

Thanks, I picked up a Porter Cable and 7 Lake Country pads, backing plate, Megs 105 & 205 from autogeek for about $160 using the coupon code. My Subaru has a single-stage repaint which oxidizes quickly and my Benz has 30 year old clearcoated paint that is proudly displaying swirls & scratches, this should be a good tool purchase. :)

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I've got a ton of bodywork to do, any suggestions for random orbit/DA sanders?

I've got plenty of air but electric would work too.

E: What about :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004XOSZ/ref=cm_rdp_product

?

That looks like a good one, at my dads I use an 8 inch orbital to strip paint mostly and it may be IR (it looks very similar to the pictures), and it's been abused for like two decades.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

PitViper posted:

I use the baggie method, and write the part description on the bag with a felt pen. The cheap store brand freezer (not storage) bags work great for this. I either attach the baggie to the part, or put them in a tray to keep them together, and in order of removal. Then I just work backwards through the tray when it goes back together.
If the bag were to be rubbed with chemical the writing might disappear. You might be better off writing on a little scrap of paper inside the bag.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've never had the writing smudge so that I couldn't read it, but like I said, I usually keep them on the workbench in a plastic tub, away from my work area. If they're attached to the part they belong to, its not as big of a deal.

PBCrunch posted:

If the bag were to be rubbed with chemical the writing might disappear. You might be better off writing on a little scrap of paper inside the bag.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Pro Tip: Don't rub solvents on your bolt and nut bag. :gonk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oxbrain posted:

Pro Tip: Don't rub solvents on your bolt and nut bag. :gonk:

Penetrating lubricants are always fine, though. :q:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

PBCrunch posted:

I wanted to say this but I was waiting for FrozenPhil to come in and drop it. He mentioned a while back that his bolt bags from the Mustang project had Sharpie on them 20 years ago and it simply faded off.

When we rebuilt my v40's engine, we couldn't even get marker to stick on Hefty zip freezer bags, so we wrote on Post-its and stuck them to the inside tops of the bags, away from the bolts. Dropping in pieces of paper only works when you feel like cleaning everything first. :v:

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
For those looking at welders, Toolking.com has reconditioned Hobart Handler 187 welders back in stock for $589. Hobart is made by Miller (though I am sure someone will nitpick that statement), and the reconditioned HH 187 is often considered across the internet to be the best deal going. They have been out of stock for a LONG time (since spring maybe?).

http://www.toolking.com/hobart-500525a-factory-reconditioned-handler-187-mig-welder-a-stock?___store=default

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Did someone say tools? Merry Christmas!

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 25, 2010

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Those craftsman sets make great gifts. I just gave Dad a kit for this truck since he's always having tools mixed up across 2 generic boxes.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm looking for a decent set of metric ratcheting wrenches. Should I just go to Sears and pick up whichever Gear Wrench or Craftsman set is on sale?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I have the best wife ever. Merry Christmas!

Compression tester and leakdown tester:

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.
All I asked for was a toolbox, and that's what I got. It also came with a bunch of tools.

Happy Christmas!

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

I really like that Power Fist is a brand of tools. *insert Fallout or Warhammer reference here to taste*

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Blocko posted:

All I asked for was a toolbox, and that's what I got. It also came with a bunch of tools.

Happy Christmas!

I'm pretty jealous of this. It's so organized! :fap:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Uthor posted:

Yea me too, I am thinking of making a vacuum former just so I can have something sorta like this.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm looking for a decent set of metric ratcheting wrenches. Should I just go to Sears and pick up whichever Gear Wrench or Craftsman set is on sale?

My experience is such that I'd get GearWrench over the Craftsman ratcheting wrenches, as I got a set of Craftsmans and some of the gear action is really crappy (skipping teeth) out of the box.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

Uthor posted:

It won't stay that way. I'm terrible with tool organization. Even when there is a piece of plastic to hold it all in place.

My favourite part is that the rachets are gold plated :whatup:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Harbor Freight is discontinuing their socket sets and going to singles. All their socket sets are currently on clearance. I just picked up 6 impact sets and adapters for under $40.

Edit:
Bought ALL this for $42.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 27, 2010

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Rhyno posted:

Harbor Freight is discontinuing their socket sets and going to singles. All their socket sets are currently on clearance. I just picked up 6 impact sets and adapters for under $40.

Edit:
Bought ALL this for $42.

Whaa? Who told you they're going to singles? That's nuts if they really are as full socket sets are a pretty important part of a toolbox and having to buy them piecemeal would probably be a lot more expensive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jared592 posted:

Whaa? Who told you they're going to singles? That's nuts if they really are as full socket sets are a pretty important part of a toolbox and having to buy them piecemeal would probably be a lot more expensive.

On the other hand, it's nice when you need just one odd size you don't have. I'd think they'd have both, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe they're going to both and switching to new tool sets? I don't know but every impact socket set was on clearance and a shitload of the special sets like extractors and torx sets were already cleared out. All the thumb ratchets were on clearance as well. I know that every single impact set was on clearance, I don't remember what standards sets were. That small set of adapters was $1.17, down from $4.99.
I'm buds with the store manager and he's who told me they were going to singles.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Maybe they're going to both and switching to new tool sets? I don't know but every impact socket set was on clearance and a shitload of the special sets like extractors and torx sets were already cleared out. All the thumb ratchets were on clearance as well. I know that every single impact set was on clearance, I don't remember what standards sets were. That small set of adapters was $1.17, down from $4.99.
I'm buds with the store manager and he's who told me they were going to singles.

Is this at the fort wayne store? Are they still on clearance? I'm going to have to go there today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

Is this at the fort wayne store? Are they still on clearance? I'm going to have to go there today.

Yes it is but be warned that the socket aisle is picked pretty clean. There's an endcap back by the auto stuff with some of the impact sets though.

Fireantz
Sep 3, 2002
lol
Got a bunch of new tools for Christmas / bought some to go with what I got:
Puma 20 gallon air compressor from Runnings farm & fleet:

Kobalt air ratchet and Craftsman Impact Wrench

Ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact sockets (got another standard set as well)

Some 3/8" impact sockets

A new creeper/chair combo and a 3-ton craftsman jack to replace the 2 1/4 ton one I had that wasn't working properly.

Fireantz fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 27, 2010

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Brain Issues posted:

I stopped in to the store in Dayton OH to see if I could buy a couple SAE sets to go along with the metric sets I bought a few weeks ago. Everything was on clearance and they only had the metric sets left :(

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
How is the feel on the release of the aluminum racing jack from HF that everyone recommends? I've got an old craftsman jack that lifts poo poo fine and doesn't leak or anything, but it's annoying as gently caress to have to use a big pair of channel locks on the bar to get enough leverage to lower it slowly instead of just snapping open and free falling.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Christmas!

I pointed out to my parents that I saw this on sale for ~60% off before Christmas and found it under the tree :sun:

http://goo.gl/gI9ao
Mastercraft 322-piece Socket & Tool Set, comes with a huge load of everything and the good old Mastercraft lifetime warranty.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Lowclock posted:

How is the feel on the release of the aluminum racing jack from HF that everyone recommends?

It has the release typical of all reasonably priced jacks: standstill to freefall with a slight twist. The handle is very thick though, so modulating it is a lot easier than other jacks I've used.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Just snagged a bunch of HF pact sets, impact wobbles and impact extensions on clearance.

The biggest surprise was seeing the 1/2 and 3/4 drive breaker bars for like $4 down from $20ish.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Does anyone know what a fair price would be for a second-hand Snap-On air impact wrench that's maybe five years old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eddiewalker posted:

Just snagged a bunch of HF pact sets, impact wobbles and impact extensions on clearance.

The biggest surprise was seeing the 1/2 and 3/4 drive breaker bars for like $4 down from $20ish.

I'm wondering if they're changing the name of the brand they're carrying. Gonna swing in one more time tomorrow morning and grab a short impact set if they have any left.