Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Does anyone know who has surplus SA .308 in stock right now? I've called around to a bunch of stores and can't seem to find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

beaver_cheese posted:

Does anyone know who has surplus SA .308 in stock right now? I've called around to a bunch of stores and can't seem to find any.

http://www.frontiertaxidermy.com/index.html

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

No dice. I called and they're actually out of stock. They just haven't updated the site.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

My local gunshop got 10 or so Mosins in for $185 and they were gone within a week. I picked one up for my shooting buddy, but it's in my possession until his paperwork comes though. It's really nice, and wicked fun to shoot.

I think I might get rid of my Grizzly. I love the rifle and all, but $40 mags and next to no spare parts didn't put me off when I bought it, but they do now that I lost my only mag.

I've been looking around and those 10/22s that everyone talks about have really caught my eye.. what does one of them run for used here in Canada? Maybe someone else would appreciate my old Grizzly more than I would, because I'm looking for something cheap and reliable with lots of aftermarket parts for general plinking and a 10/22 really seems to fit the bill.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Caedus posted:

My local gunshop got 10 or so Mosins in for $185 and they were gone within a week. I picked one up for my shooting buddy, but it's in my possession until his paperwork comes though. It's really nice, and wicked fun to shoot.

I think I might get rid of my Grizzly. I love the rifle and all, but $40 mags and next to no spare parts didn't put me off when I bought it, but they do now that I lost my only mag.

I've been looking around and those 10/22s that everyone talks about have really caught my eye.. what does one of them run for used here in Canada? Maybe someone else would appreciate my old Grizzly more than I would, because I'm looking for something cheap and reliable with lots of aftermarket parts for general plinking and a 10/22 really seems to fit the bill.

Be patient and aggressive on the CGN EE and you'll get one for under $200 easily.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Awesome. I'm curious if I can get a straight trade for my Grizzly though. I paid $215 for the rifle + scope, and I will pick up a mag for it (because I'm not an rear end in a top hat who's going to sell a rifle without a next to impossible to find magazine) before I sell it. I wonder if I can find someone who will appreciate an older, rare rifle more than I will.

Oh yeah, what's the deal for mag limits on .22s in Canada? I know they make big-rear end mags for the 10/22, but do .22s fall under the normal rifle rules in Canada, ie, 5 round max for semi-auto rifles. That was the only area of magazine cap laws that I didn't quite understand. It's 10 for all pistols, 5 for center-fire semi-autos and 10 for bolt-action rimfires.. but where does the 10/22 fall under that?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Caedus posted:

Awesome. I'm curious if I can get a straight trade for my Grizzly though. I paid $215 for the rifle + scope, and I will pick up a mag for it (because I'm not an rear end in a top hat who's going to sell a rifle without a next to impossible to find magazine) before I sell it. I wonder if I can find someone who will appreciate an older, rare rifle more than I will.

Oh yeah, what's the deal for mag limits on .22s in Canada? I know they make big-rear end mags for the 10/22, but do .22s fall under the normal rifle rules in Canada, ie, 5 round max for semi-auto rifles. That was the only area of magazine cap laws that I didn't quite understand. It's 10 for all pistols, 5 for center-fire semi-autos and 10 for bolt-action rimfires.. but where does the 10/22 fall under that?

There is no magazine capacity restriction on rimfire rifles of any kind.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Caedus posted:

.22 = party all night long.

You can have highcap rimfire rifles because they aren't dangerous. Same reasoning behind why an AR15 can only go to a sanctioned range but an M14 with longer range of fire and more powerful caliber is free to go where you please.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Oh god that makes me so happy. I remember all the cap laws for center-fire stuff, but I couldn't recall why I would be clueless as to rimfire mag caps.. turns out they're aren't any!

10/22 with 25 round mag, here I come!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Gtab posted:

.22 = party all night long.

You can have highcap rimfire rifles because they aren't dangerous. Same reasoning behind why an AR15 can only go to a sanctioned range but an M14 with longer range of fire and more powerful caliber is free to go where you please.

So, theoretically speaking, one could chamber a rifle in .44 Henry Flat or, better yet, .58 Miller and rock and roll all day long with high cap magazines?

I'm sure that's probably illegal somehow, but drat if it doesn't seem like an incentive to bring back some of the old obsolete full sized rimfire calibers.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

So, theoretically speaking, one could chamber a rifle in .44 Henry Flat or, better yet, .58 Miller and rock and roll all day long with high cap magazines?

I'm sure that's probably illegal somehow, but drat if it doesn't seem like an incentive to bring back some of the old obsolete full sized rimfire calibers.

That was my same question in my course (only, I asked .44 Henry Rimfire) and the answer was "yes" from one of the men who was a paid consultant for the rules and who starred in the videos.

So, yup.

----------------

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Gtab posted:

That was my same question in my course (only, I asked .44 Henry Rimfire) and the answer was "yes" from one of the men who was a paid consultant for the rules and who starred in the videos.

So, yup.

Oh god. . . that would be so damned cool. I'm just envisioning some kind of crazy .44 Henry AR or FAL or AK or something. . . and it's getting me irrationally excited.

It would have to have wooden furniture, of course, and a saddle ring.

I don't know why, exactly, but I want this to happen so bad.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh god. . . that would be so damned cool. I'm just envisioning some kind of crazy .44 Henry AR or FAL or AK or something. . . and it's getting me irrationally excited.

Too bad both of those are prohibited in Canada!

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

Too bad both of those are prohibited in Canada!

AR15s aren't prohibited in Canada. I just sold one to a Quebecer. I may buy another within a year if I get bored. They're extremely widespread.

----------------

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Gtab posted:

AR15s aren't prohibited in Canada. I just sold one to a Quebecer. I may buy another within a year if I get bored. They're extremely widespread.

Oh poo poo, didn't see the AR part. I just saw FAL and AK before getting depressed again while letting out a sigh. :(

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I just helped unload 1.5 million rounds of 7.62x39 tracer.

Lever Arms has 1500 round cases in stock for $285, get them before they go prohib!

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

That's awesome. I'll make sure to pick up a case.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

I bought an old fibreglass stock for my new M14:

I'm having issues mounting the buttplate to the stock so I posted a question here. I figured I'd link it here in the hope that one of you guys could help.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Keep an eye on the op rod retaining pin. The USGI fibreglass stocks are a little deficient around there and the pin may work itself loose without the stock holding it in.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

HAPPY CANADA DAY! Time to get smashed on Wisers Deluxe and fire our various Norinco firearms into the air/effigies of Wendy Cukier. :canada:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Cruster! posted:

HAPPY CANADA DAY! Time to get smashed on Wisers Deluxe and fire our various Norinco firearms into the air/effigies of Wendy Cukier. :canada:

Happy Canada Day indeed. Unfortunately I'm separated from my guns, but I'm thinking of them.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Happy Canada Day you ugly sons of bitches.

----------------

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Canada day was good.

clicky

While these were blanks, still awesome to see. Forgot hearing protection, so rolled up electrical tape made a decent substitute. Is there anything it can't fix?

bokchoi got some photos with fire and poo poo.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Happy Beer and Fireworks day!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Happy Canada Day, assholes!

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Happy Canada Day. Time to shoot some guns to honor our great country.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Canada Day! Time to set some money aside for some tracers and an SKS or something.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

DocCynical posted:

Canada day was good.

clicky

While these were blanks, still awesome to see. Forgot hearing protection, so rolled up electrical tape made a decent substitute. Is there anything it can't fix?

bokchoi got some photos with fire and poo poo.

Oh rad. Where was that at? I miss home now. :(

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I miss your empty PM box, again.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

DrakeriderCa posted:

Oh rad. Where was that at? I miss home now. :(

Alberta Legislature grounds saluting base. 3 guns, 21 rounds. Those things are loud as gently caress and pretty stinky.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

^^^ - Awesome.

mikerock posted:

I miss your empty PM box, again.

My box is once again clean. Give it another shot.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Holy poo poo. Canada Ammo has answered a lot of dreams earlier today. They're bringing the Norinco Model 97 in this fall/winter for $875 shipped, free shipping ( :toot: ) and with a free scope mount if you put down a $100 deposit. They're going to be non-restricted (475mm barrel) and built just for CanAm.

Jesus I really want one of these now, especially if it's just $875. Lever has them for $1450, and our store had one in for $1500. Crazy. poo poo, I'll probably be putting up the money soon.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

drat that sounds awesome. 100 bucks down works for me.

Have you handled these guns? How do they feel? I'm seriously considering dropping the 100 down and then saving until these come out. I need a scary black .223 non restricted rifle.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Dearest CFC,

GIVE ME MY loving PAL YOU JERKS.

:cry:

love quicksand

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Model 97 = 1897 Shotgun.

QBZ-97/Type 97 = bullpup rifle.

Meaning Model 97 =/= what you are talking about. ;)

----------------

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

I dunno 'bout you but a scope mount on a trench gun sounds brilliant to me.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Gtab posted:

Model 97 = 1897 Shotgun.

QBZ-97/Type 97 = bullpup rifle.

Meaning Model 97 =/= what you are talking about. ;)

Poobutt.

It's a Type 97. Or T97. And yeah, I've handled the one we had in the store. It's nothing crazy - the fit and finish is modern norinco. It works well, but it's not as polished as the Tavor.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

DrakeriderCa posted:

Holy poo poo. Canada Ammo has answered a lot of dreams earlier today. They're bringing the Norinco Model 97 in this fall/winter for $875 shipped, free shipping ( :toot: ) and with a free scope mount if you put down a $100 deposit. They're going to be non-restricted (475mm barrel) and built just for CanAm.

Jesus I really want one of these now, especially if it's just $875. Lever has them for $1450, and our store had one in for $1500. Crazy. poo poo, I'll probably be putting up the money soon.

Sounds awesome, but if Im going restricted I want the shorty.

Anyways, what are the laws in BC for where I can drive out to nowhere to fire my guns off? Outside city limits? In some sort of bushy area where nobody will ever see me? Sail out to the floating McBarge and shoot old McDonalds trays from 1987? What are my options.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anyone have any idea if any of these guns are worth anything? A family member passed away and the police seized all of his guns because they were all unregistered. He had a heart attack and the paramedics noticed his gun collection. By law they have to inform the police of any guns they see in a home and they police run a check to see if they're registered.

Anyway, the police have the guns at the station and they said they have some collectors who are interested in them. They will release them to a next of kin provided they have a valid license.

Personally, I'm fine with just selling them but I don't want to get ripped off because I have no idea what they're worth.

This is what the police emailed me:

quote:

The non-restricted rifles and shotguns any family member with a possession and acquisition firearms licence can register them online. They must fill in the "How Obtained" box with " Obtained from estate, unaware of registration requirements ". None of the rifles or shotguns were registered. They include-

1. WALTERS & SON, exposed hammer - side by side double barrel shotgun, 12 Ga., serial number 7428, 764mm barrel, 2 shots.

2. SIG, Model Vetterli 1878 Sporter bolt action rifle, 10.4mm Swiss, serial number 54360, 842 mm barrel, 11 shots.

3. J.C. HIGGINS ( Hi-Standard ) , Model 20 pump action shotgun, 12 Ga., no serial number, 630mm barrel, plugged to 2 shots.

4. MOSSBERG, Model 44US (c) bolt action rifle, .22 Cal., no serial number, 662mm barrel, 10 shots.

Some, but not all of the handguns were registered under the old Restricted Weapons Registration System ( RWRS ). The guns that were registered can be transfered to a individual who has restricted-prohibited class on his firearms licence. They include-

1. UNKNOWN BELGIUM, Model Double Barrel .410 exposed hammer pistol, .410 Ga., serial number 4127, 255mm barrel, 2 shots, RWRS certificate number D-831836

2. RUGER, Model Single Six single action revolver, .22 Cal., serial number 25333, 140mm barrel, 6 shots, RWRS certificate number D-686828

3. BERETTA, Model 950 semi-auto pistol, .22 Cal. Short, serial number 68156CC, 60mm barrel, 6 shots. Believe it or not this gun is still registered to the dealer that he bought the RUGER from, MODERN GUN SHOP dealer certificate number DL301307. It is a prohibited pistol but in therory could be transfered as long as the individual had prohibited status on his firearms licence. The other two are straight restricted.

The guns that can't be transfered include-

1. ODIN PRESS, Model Colt Detective revolver, replica revolver ( prohibited device )

2. WALTHER, Model P38 semi-automatic pistol, 9mm Para. Cal., serial number 6526r, 124mm barrel, 8 shots ( never registered in Canada ).

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

the walther can be deactivated or sold to a business or destroyed.

The odin press can be inherted by a direct relative, and they will get 12(7) [or 12(6)? drakerider has this] status. Otherwise it can be deactivated, sold to an appropriate license holder, or to a business.