Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mikerock posted:

Lever is the only importer in Canada at this time.

And they're not even lying. It isn't December/2009 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, I just pre-ordered the Type 97. The fuckers changed their price on me too...

It's now $849 shipped.

I'm now anxiously awaiting for 2009 to roll around.

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I'll bite, i'm going to pre-order tomorrow.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Cypress posted:

I'll bite, i'm going to pre-order tomorrow.

gently caress this communist noise. Now if you'll excuse me I have to sacrifice cute animals to my FN shrine and hope for the SCAR to be sold to the Canadian public.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!

Fun Shoe

Flanker posted:

gently caress this communist noise. Now if you'll excuse me I have to sacrifice cute animals to my FN shrine and hope for the SCAR to be sold to the Canadian public.

Good luck, but it looks vaguely scary, and if they are allowed in, you know there will be open warfare on the streets

On somewhat more positive note, the thread about scout rifles intrigued me, but I couldn't find a Canadian supplier for the Scout. Is my google-fu weak? Could any reputable house of arms import it for me?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Bhurak posted:

Good luck, but it looks vaguely scary, and if they are allowed in, you know there will be open warfare on the streets

On somewhat more positive note, the thread about scout rifles intrigued me, but I couldn't find a Canadian supplier for the Scout. Is my google-fu weak? Could any reputable house of arms import it for me?

You mean the Steyr Scout? Those are somewhat uncommon to begin with. Any shorter bolt gun with a long eye relief scope is considered a 'scout' rifle.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

There's a place in Red Deer, AB that stocks Steyr Scouts in all calibers. I groped some of them when I was there. Just start lookin' cause I can't remember it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My range has a Bear warning.

http://www.tmsa.net/

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

If im not going to have my proper PAL until October, would it be worth pre-ordering one of those Type 97s since they wont be here until December? I guess if something did come up I could sell my spot off in the line or something.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

If im not going to have my proper PAL until October, would it be worth pre-ordering one of those Type 97s since they wont be here until December? I guess if something did come up I could sell my spot off in the line or something.

They ask for your PAL info when you order, so you may run into problems with that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

mikerock posted:

My range has a Bear warning.

http://www.tmsa.net/

That's pretty common. I've been at Poco for a few years and we've had bears, deer, rabbits and what not wandering onto the range. The buggers know that we can't touch 'em. Twenty guys with rifles and we have to cease fire when they come wandering in to graze on the grass under the target stands.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Coxswain Balls posted:

They ask for your PAL info when you order, so you may run into problems with that.

gently caress, theres probably no way Im getting my hands on one then. They'll all sell out and everybody will sit on them forever or resell them at a markup.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Either Lever or Reliable (I can't recall who I called, it was two years ago) will import the Steyr Scout, but it was $3200. I can't remember if that is with or without optics.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lobstermagnet
Feb 29, 2008

Just a steel town pony, lookin' for the fight of her life

I'm sort of new to firearms still (also this is my first time posting in TFR). I'm thinking of going small and working my way up to bigger long arms and was wondering what would be a good .22LR? Since, from what I can tell, I'm a miserable shot, a semi-auto would probably be my best bet to help me work on that. I've read about the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin Model 60 but I want my first rifle to be sort of unique, thats when I found the Norinco JW-14, a nice little carbine that is still pretty long by carbine standards and takes Marlin mags. So does anyone here have any experience with the JW-14? Is it a good 'first rifle'? Also, why has Marstar been out of a lot of Norinco stuff for so long? Sorry if these questions get asked a lot, its just that the thread is very long

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Coxswain Balls posted:

No they don't, or at least they didn't with mine. I just had to check a box that I am aware I'll have to supply it. And it was processed (online) at that.

I would be somewhat surprised if they didn't want to take is $100 right now even though he's a PAL virgin. They've got nothing to lose really.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Lobstermagnet posted:

I'm sort of new to firearms still (also this is my first time posting in TFR). I'm thinking of going small and working my way up to bigger long arms and was wondering what would be a good .22LR? Since, from what I can tell, I'm a miserable shot, a semi-auto would probably be my best bet to help me work on that. I've read about the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin Model 60 but I want my first rifle to be sort of unique, thats when I found the Norinco JW-14, a nice little carbine that is still pretty long by carbine standards and takes Marlin mags. So does anyone here have any experience with the JW-14? Is it a good 'first rifle'? Also, why has Marstar been out of a lot of Norinco stuff for so long? Sorry if these questions get asked a lot, its just that the thread is very long

Marstar is out of everything forever it seems. Where are you located exactly?

slidebite posted:

No they don't, or at least they didn't with mine. I just had to check a box that I am aware I'll have to supply it. And it was processed (online) at that.

I would be somewhat surprised if they didn't want to take is $100 right now even though he's a PAL virgin. They've got nothing to lose really.

Eh, I'll give it a shot when I get paid. See what happens. Probably throw them an email or something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Eh, I'll give it a shot when I get paid. See what happens. Probably throw them an email or something.

They have an 800 number, so just call him up, clear it and order it at the same time.

Lobstermagnet
Feb 29, 2008

Marstar is out of everything forever it seems. Where are you located exactly?

I'm posting from the nation's capital actually. So why are they out of stock? IIRC I heard something about the Olympics or something? Anyway, I've only read a few bits and pieces of info about the JW-14, everything seems to be very positive and its very inexpensive (and it even takes Marlin mags!) but i'm not sure if its the right gun for somebody who has little experience with firearms maintenance though. I don't really see myself doing any alterations with it other than putting on a scope later on as well.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Lobstermagnet posted:

I'm posting from the nation's capital actually. So why are they out of stock? IIRC I heard something about the Olympics or something? Anyway, I've only read a few bits and pieces of info about the JW-14, everything seems to be very positive and its very inexpensive (and it even takes Marlin mags!) but i'm not sure if its the right gun for somebody who has little experience with firearms maintenance though. I don't really see myself doing any alterations with it other than putting on a scope later on as well.

That's possible. Word about Chinese manufacturers is that around the time of the Olympics, there will be a complete shutdown on all firearm shipping in the country.

The cheaper Norinco .22's are alright, but just alright. The fit and finish ranges from to just bad, they aren't the most accurate rifles around, and there are occasionally problems with performance.

However, they're dirt cheap and generally good enough. There are only a few Norinco firearms that I recommend with confidence, and none of them are .22's.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I have a JW-25 and it is kind of crappy. From what I can tell it is accurate but the irons are so bad that I don't shoot it much. I am trying to get a scope for it.

Lobstermagnet
Feb 29, 2008

Hmm... ok then, what's a better .22LR in the lower price ranges then? Everybody tells me I should get a Ruger 10/22 but thats a lot of money to put down on such a little rifle IMO

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I don't like semi-auto .22 personally, they feel like toys a bit. I prefer bolt actions. In this case, as is the case with almost all firearms, the more money you spend teh better rifle you're going to get.

The CZs are nice rifles and all the NA companies produce great .22s. Not my area of expertise, I must say, but I would probably steer clear of a Norinco unless you really just want a plinker.

Lobstermagnet
Feb 29, 2008

This would go under 'my first rifle' category, I've only had experience with air guns. I want something easy to take care of and help me become a better shot and a semi-auto would probably be my best bet. I do intend to get a bolt action but I'm not sure its the right rifle for somebody as inexperienced as myself, besides, if I did get a bolt action, I would want something more powerful than a .22LR, probably a full rifle round like the 7.62x54mmR or a .303. I really also want a unique gun. I could get a 10/22, Marlin 60 or a Plinkster, or I could get something a bit novel.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

well nothing is easier to take care of than a .22 bolt gun.

but otherwise a 10/22 is your best bet as quality bolts are going to be in the same price range

Lobstermagnet
Feb 29, 2008

mikerock posted:

well nothing is easier to take care of than a .22 bolt gun.

but otherwise a 10/22 is your best bet as quality bolts are going to be in the same price range

Looks like I gotta save up a bit more than! Thanks for the advice

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Lobstermagnet posted:

Hmm... ok then, what's a better .22LR in the lower price ranges then? Everybody tells me I should get a Ruger 10/22 but thats a lot of money to put down on such a little rifle IMO

A Tula TOZ-78-01. I don't know how availability is in Canada, but in the US you can find them for around USD$150, and cheaper if you look around. Made in Russia, decent fit and finish, accurate as all hell, easy to maintain, and all around a great little rifle - especially for the price.

Winchester sells the exact same rifle, made in the exact same factory in Russia, as the Winchester Wildcat with a different color stock and a different bolt bend angle for $300 if that gives you any indication.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Cyrano4747 posted:

A Tula TOZ-78-01. I don't know how availability is in Canada, but in the US you can find them for around USD$150, and cheaper if you look around. Made in Russia, decent fit and finish, accurate as all hell, easy to maintain, and all around a great little rifle - especially for the price.

Winchester sells the exact same rifle, made in the exact same factory in Russia, as the Winchester Wildcat with a different color stock and a different bolt bend angle for $300 if that gives you any indication.

Oh hush you.

Lobstermagnet, I understand that you're new to guns, but a 10/22 is one of the cheaper firearms you can buy. If you're really set on a cheaper .22, I have a Mossberg 702 that's a good little gun. They go for about $150, they're semi-auto, the bolt locks open on an empty mag, and they feed from 10 round mags that go for about $12 a pop. They're good little guns.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Don't get a semi-auto .22 other than the 10/22 because you'll just end up ditching it and buying a 10/22 eventually.

Anyone want to buy a Savage 64F?

Lobstermagnet
Feb 29, 2008

Seems to be a lot of Ruger fans around here! Well I can't blame anyone, its pretty much the .22LR rifle that all other .22LR rifles are held up to. I looked into the TOZ-78-01, it looks interesting but the TOZ-99 seems more up my alley (its semi-automatic). I also looked into the Mossberg, my friend is really into shotguns and has nothing but praise for his Mossberg 930 and frankly, the Mossberg website, is pretty funny, the description for the 702 is "You and the kids will have a lot of fun shooting at varmints, critters and cans. If your kids are the sensitive type,
explain they can always get new cans."

thr33n0r
Nov 18, 2006
www.theowla.com

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know man, none of that's exactly mandatory, but it's all pretty cool in Oregon.

Oregon: like the beautiful Canadian West, only without all the faggy laws.

Now if Oregon would just recognize my out of state CCW, it would be perfect...

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Oregon is the best State.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Lobstermagnet posted:

I'm so new I'm still covered in bubble wrap.

Go check out the LeBaron's sports in Ottawa once you have your PAL. Their prices are pretty reasonable and they'll have lots of .22s to pick from.

Lobstermagnet
Feb 29, 2008

Flanker posted:

Go check out the LeBaron's sports in Ottawa once you have your PAL. Their prices are pretty reasonable and they'll have lots of .22s to pick from.

I know the place, on Merivale right? You're probably right, it might be better to get my first gun from a real person rather than an online store! Any other places in Ottawa worth checking out? Also, sorry for the err... stupid newb questions, I probably wont be getting another gun for a long while after my first one so I want something I'll like, right off the bat.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Lobstermagnet posted:

I know the place, on Merivale right? You're probably right, it might be better to get my first gun from a real person rather than an online store! Any other places in Ottawa worth checking out? Also, sorry for the err... stupid newb questions, I probably wont be getting another gun for a long while after my first one so I want something I'll like, right off the bat.

Do not apologize. Use Flanker's knowledge without remorse. Steal all his learnings. Suck him dry.

The last one is a gay joke. Just FYI.

----------------

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Lobstermagnet posted:

You got it. Ammo prices are ok too, but not super awesome. You're going to have a hard time finding cheaper deals unless you have somewhere in the US to shop, or get comfortable shopping online.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

Lobstermagnet posted:

sports action on St. laurent has a tiny selection of new and used but is willing to order things you want and gunco is supposed to be good but has lovely hours.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

sedated posted:

sports action on St. laurent has a tiny selection of new and used but is willing to order things you want and gunco is supposed to be good but has lovely hours.

Wait, there's other gun shops alive in Ottawa?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Found on CGN:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

The real joke there is the idea that the CF Navy has any impact on the GWOT.

I wonder sometimes if I'm too hard on Canada...

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

Flanker posted:

Wait, there's other gun shops alive in Ottawa?

Yep, I went into Gunco today to see what he had on consignment but there were a bunch of dudes just milling about inside and since his shop is the size of a closet I didn't hang around.