Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Gtab posted:

The real joke there is the idea that the CF Navy has any impact on the GWOT.

I wonder sometimes if I'm too hard on Canada...

Sometimes I think so. vv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

My new favourite range activity is pop cans at 50 yards with a single six. What a fun little revolver.

Gtab posted:

The real joke there is the idea that there is a GWOT.

Yeah I went there

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

How do I attach sling to VZ-58 thank you

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

mikerock posted:

How do I attach sling to VZ-58 thank you

You're welcome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobstermagnet
Feb 29, 2008

Just a steel town pony, lookin' for the fight of her life

Ok, I'm back from LeBaron, as a university student my selection was based on me being poor but fortunately the prices were all very good (though they'e out of stock of a couple of things). Anyway my choices boil down to the Remington 597,
Ruger 10/22 Standard, Savage Arms Mark-II F and G and the Savage Arms 64F and FSS. The Ruger is the most expensive, the shortest and rotary box magazine, all things I'm not really looking for. The Remington is VERY affordable and has a carbon steel barrel but I'm still not sure if I should go with a wood or synthetic stock. What are the pros and cons? Especially for maintenance, The Savage Arms Mark-II seems good and it has accutrigger, it comes in both synthetic (F) and walnut (G), I can't really decide on which. Lastly the 64F is the cheapest of all the guns, its pretty standard but the FSS for a small chunk more I can get a stainless steel barrel.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Is there anyway to get a drat Makarov in Canada?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I was up by Stave lake trying to hike up to Happy Valley today (the place in BC Flanker wants to go.) About a third of the way up I hear these strange low animal noises in the bush up ahead about 25m and off to the right. I stopped to listen to see if they would stop or if I could identify what it was. Neither. I chambered a round in the VZ-58 and walked up the path a few more meters to see if it would stop and retreat but it got louder and seemed to be coming from the same spot. I told my friend that I didn't feel like we should press the issue as whatever was making those noises wasn't afraid of us (we weren't being quiet) and appeared to be getting agitated about us coming nearer.

We went back to my car and then went down to a lower gravel pit to shoot. Kind of meh about that as I tried my tracers and they didn't ignite under 100m, although the ricochets did and they burned a bright red. Happy Valley has shooting up to 400m or so. In the end the tracers work and they are visible in bright sunlight but you need to have some distance on your shots for the magnesium to ignite.

Lobstermagnet
Feb 29, 2008

Just a steel town pony, lookin' for the fight of her life

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Is there anyway to get a drat Makarov in Canada?

Norinco makes clones of the PM (M59 as they call it), although I'm not sure where abouts you'd go for one though. Of course if you'e only looking for used, genuine Makarovs than thats something else completely

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Lobstermagnet posted:

Norinco makes clones of the PM (M59 as they call it), although I'm not sure where abouts you'd go for one though. Of course if you'e only looking for used, genuine Makarovs than thats something else completely

Nah I just want a Makarov pattern gun. I've never seen one for sale though.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

How long is the barrel? I remember them being short meaning they're probably prohib.

Edit: Yup 3.83 inches. Prohib.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Yeah but somebody made some with a longer barrel. My uncle had one kicking around awhile ago.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Like the PPKs and M1 Carbines, those are custom jobs.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

mikerock posted:

Like the PPKs and M1 Carbines, those are custom jobs.

Quite true. There are a handful that people have put custom-made longer barrels on (And one fabulous guy working on it), but those are it. You don't see them very often because they're fairly rare.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Well, is there any way I can arrange to have a Makarov imported sans barrel and get a custom one made or bring an extended .380 one in from the US or what?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

You'd have to call the CFC but I would say just find another gun to love.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Well, is there any way I can arrange to have a Makarov imported sans barrel and get a custom one made or bring an extended .380 one in from the US or what?

The pistol would have to have the extended barrel installed before it was brought up. You would pre-register it as a restricted Makarov with the proper barrel length, and it would be verified once it came into Canada. In my knowledge, you can't bring up the pistol sans barrel, because until the new barrel is put on, it's still a prohib pistol. Even if it was never registered as such.

Find an american gun dealer who will do all of the above for you, and an importer to bring the pistol across for you, and you're gold.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Reliable might be up for importing.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

mikerock posted:

Reliable might be up for importing.

Link? Im putting a huge blob of cash aside for October as the day I get my PAL Im ordering a ton of poo poo online and going down to Lever and buying something to keep me busy until they show up.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

http://www.reliablegun.com/Reliable/Reliable.html

They're at Fraser and Kingsway.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Wow so Lever isn't the only shop by me.

Also what the gently caress is the deal with ATTs, do I need to call EVERY time I want to move a restricted gun? Or is it like a once a month deal.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

There are two types

Temporary ATTs and Long Term ATTs. To get a long term ATT you require a membership at a gun club. It is good for up to 5 years. Temporary ATTs are good for only a few days or one movement of the firearm and require you to contact the BC CFO every time you want one.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

^^^ - To expand, a long term ATT should cover all trips to a range, gunsmith or border crossing. Short terms cover special trips, like to a competition out of province, or to a gun show or something like that.

Link? Im putting a huge blob of cash aside for October as the day I get my PAL Im ordering a ton of poo poo online and going down to Lever and buying something to keep me busy until they show up.

Dave's Sports in washington might also do it for you. Look around on CGN, there are lots of threads about it.

helno
Jun 19, 2003
hmm now were did I leave that plane

I just realized that I will probly be living in a room and board type situation while I wait for housing with my new job. Do you think there would be a problem with storing my restricted firearms at my parents house (were I currently live) for a few months until I get things sorted out?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Helno call the CFC

also what would be a good price to pay for czech 8mm mauser strippers?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

mikerock posted:

Helno call the CFC

also what would be a good price to pay for czech 8mm mauser strippers?

We have them for like $4 when they're around.

Not to mention the intact, loaded belt of 8mm mauser in an ammo can in the back.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ottawa shooter checking in. I've got my PAL but I'm taking the restricted course and test at the RA center this Sunday. Hopefully I'll get it in time for Glocktober.

One more spot to get guns in Ottawa I haven't seen mentioned is the Stittsville range. They've got a way better selection of ammo than LeBaron and I've found them to be pretty friendly and helpful. I guess they close at 5ish on Sunday, it was a beautiful calm evening and the lady came out and said she's closing the shop but keep shooting as long as I want.

helno
Jun 19, 2003
hmm now were did I leave that plane

mikerock posted:

Helno call the CFC

I got ahol of the cfos office and they are going to arrange some sort of temporary storage thing since my father has the same class of license as I do.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The RPAL test was easy, 98 written, 96 practical and I'd never touched a handgun before the course. For some reason, I wrote that ammo had to be locked up and not just out of sight and separate.

On the practical, I got docked because I forgot to mumble out loud that I was observing the chamber etc when I put a double action revolver back on the bench and because I let my free arm dangle instead of putting it in my pocket when demonstrating the one-handed stance.

The highlight of the day was a clueless newbie who didn't have really strong English skills. While we were practicing the ACTS/PROVE on different actions, he just kept picking up the practice guns, pointing them at the wall and pulling the trigger. A few people were trying to explain that that is NOT how you check if it is loaded, I'm not sure if he got it or if they just gave up though.

One thing that really stood out was that the instructors and testers really want you to pass.

(I think) The next step is to join a club to start the 3 month probation period so they can apply for an ATT for me by the time I get my RPAL license processed. Does anyone shoot at Smiths Falls Fish and Game Club, I'm pretty sure that's where I'm going.

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008

B.C. shooter here. I had quite enjoyed the attitude towards firearms in my small town until a couple of weeks ago. Since this event, im nervous as gently caress taking my guns out now, even though the whole thing was bullshit, the ignorance on the RCMP's behalf was quite a let down.

We were out in the mid afternoon shooting in the same old chunk of crown land we've been using foryears (and is all but a range by now)with a particularly large group of us this time, 15 or so people and 9 rifles. Lots of noise, lots of rapid (...5 round) fire. So we finish up, pack our things and head up the mountain some more for a little bit of 4 wheeling, and as were standing around bs'ing a couple km up a trai.... Are those cruisers? Yes, yes they are. 4 of them. Somehow they scraped their way through this trail in their friggin' crown vics only to come busting out the doors screaming at us to surrender our weapons .....Holy fack. We're all standing there looking dumb and scared and i guess they pick up on that because they start to ease off.

Hand over the firearms
whats going on, whats happening??
Hand over the firearms
why do you need our firearms, what did we do wrong??
HAND OVER THE FIREARMS
Why wont you tell us what we did wrong, why are you taking our firearms??
HAND OVER THE loving FIREARMS (he's beet red and takes a walk back to his cruiser while another officer takes over)
#2: Look guys, some hikers phoned us and said there's a large group of people wildly discharging firearms into the air and they can hear bullets whizzing past their heads.

All of us: ...what the hell, we were doing no such thing etc..

can we search your vehicles?

All of us: No.

angry cop returns LOOK WE KNOW IT WAS YOU GUYS NOW SURRENDER THE loving FIREARMS.

lying sack of poo poo #2: Look guys, were not leaving until we have control of the weapons, all we're going to do is hold them for a few days and you can come get them later. We just want to remove them from the situation. No one is in trouble.

We finally oblige, HUGE MISTAKE. Once they get their mitts on our "cache" of weapons things get ugly.... reeal ugly.

First off, they didn't seem to know a fuckin thing about B.C.'s stance with the firearms act and right out the gate: IMPROPER STORAGE, no trigger locks... "well that's not required sir", like he gives a poo poo.

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS as he points to my friends Norinco M305, then its HOW DO YOU HAVE A GARAND???oh god, he pulls the bolt back and the snap cap dummy round flies out.....

sks with a folding stock... HOW LONG IS THAT GUN WITH THE STOCK FOLDED IN!! Non-restricted CZ858? well that's obviously illegal in some way, i mean look at it!

they take everything.

Also, you're coming to the detachment to get the book thrown at you. PERFECT!!! JUST WHAT YOU SAID WOULD HAPPEN OFFICER!

So all the owners get a dignified ride to the detachment where were charged with unsafe discharge of a firearm and improper storage.

Well we hounded the RCMP for 2 weeks to find out what the hell was going on because officer dickface still hadn't even submitted his case to the crown and we were left in the dark with all our stuff still confiscated. Finally, In the 3rd week of hounding them, we find out that the officer in charge finally submitted the case, then it was promptly thrown out by the crown and the officer in charge has now been "transferred".

It only took them another 2 weeks to return our firearms, complete with a missing snapper for the Garand.

Thank you Hikers, for your 30 second bullshit call to the cops that caused us so much grief. Now the mountain is all yours.

edited for clarity

economic haircut fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 29, 2008

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

That is really loving bizarre. I have hiked several times in hunting-okay (read: guns-okay) trails carrying a shotgun the size of a telephone pole and I have never once been questioned. I met a game officer once who asked if I was out hunting and I said nope and that was that.

I'm really sorry to hear you got so totally raped

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

economic haircut posted:

Thank you Hikers, for your 30 second bullshit call to the cops that caused us so much grief. Now the mountain is all yours.

Of course the real irony is that if it weren't for hunters and other sportsmen, there wouldn't be anything worth poo poo for the hikers to see on their little nature walks. Organizations like Ducks Unlimited weren't started by a bunch of tree huggers.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

RCMP gun law knowledge.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

What a nightmare. Could you have legally refused to hand over your firearms or were you basically screwed because somebody had reported a "crime"? I hope you don't get discouraged and keep going back to that spot while pursuing any official avenues of complaint available to you.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Hah this is the total opposite of what happened to the Goons last massive gathering in WA.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

DrakeriderCa posted:

RCMP gun law knowledge.

You can't really blame them. The guys making the laws have no clue either.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My friend in the RCMP is 12(5)

YMMV

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008

Cruster! posted:

What a nightmare. Could you have legally refused to hand over your firearms or were you basically screwed because somebody had reported a "crime"? I hope you don't get discouraged and keep going back to that spot while pursuing any official avenues of complaint available to you.

I donno really. We were able to deny them searching the vehicles by refusing to consent, and they weren't doing anything except telling us to hand them over. They were really quite perturbed and aggressive though, and we weren't exactly caving to their orders how they wanted us to in the first place making them even more mad. We all really thought things were gonna get real nasty, so we gave in. Intimidating situation.

In reality, i think we could have gotten them to leave without our guns. If they were able to forcibly take them we probably wouldn't have even had a chance to ask them what the hell they were doing. I'm no lawyer though.

Yes we still shoot there, and yes we filed complaints, but the attitude we got at the detachment was they really don't care since he is gone anyways.

Gtab posted:

That is really loving bizarre. I have hiked several times in hunting-okay (read: guns-okay) trails carrying a shotgun the size of a telephone pole and I have never once been questioned. I met a game officer once who asked if I was out hunting and I said nope and that was that.

I'm really sorry to hear you got so totally raped

i used to hike like that too, never ran into anyone though. Too bad one of our best places to hike and hunt has people who pull stunts like this in it now.

mikerock posted:

YMMV

I hear you man. They're not all bad/idiots. That was just my one time experience.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

mikerock posted:

YMMV

There are some good officers out there, but generally speaking the level of understanding is quite low. It sucks for them too, because our laws are such a tangled nest of bullshit that doing their job has become more complicated. It's the same way at the border.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DrakeriderCa posted:

RCMP gun law knowledge.

Why know the laws when you get penalized like this for breaking them?

Mountie suspended 10 days for firing pistol at home
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9007792.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I don't expect the police to know everything about everything, because that's asking a bit much out of anyone. Still, you'd think they'd at least know the difference between a restricted and non-restricted firearm.

Judging from the follow-up, it sounds like the guys that gave you a hard time weren't exactly the most popular folks at the station anyway and they were probably glad to see them gone.