Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

economic haircut posted:

B.C. shooter here. I had quite enjoyed the attitude towards firearms in my small town until a couple of weeks ago.
Out of curiosity, can you share where this happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008

slidebite posted:

Out of curiosity, can you share where this happened?

In the Shuswap.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Shot some more of that Czech 7.62x39 tracer yesterday at longer ranges and in darker conditions. The trace isn't really visible until it is not in direct sunlight. Otherwise the ricochets can be seen as they are slow and the magnesium is burning brightly. When we shot in shaded areas you could see the tracer very well. Some of the rounds didn't ignite at all, but I am not surprised as it is 45 year old surplus. We did start a small grass fire which we promptly put out with some boot stomping. I did bring along an ABC fire extinguisher which was a loving bitch to hump up the mountain but I was glad to have it with me even though I didn't need it. I would strongly suggest that anyone shooting tracers should have one handy.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

I just ordered a Grizzly 12.5" shotgun from Canada Ammo on the weekend and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the shotgun or anything I should be wary of. I did read a bit on CGN but I understood why it seems like it's safer to stick to the EE.

Just was wondering if I wasted $300, or if I picked up something nice for a decent price.

Anyone notice the three FALs Ellwood Epps just got in? Oh how I wish I had prohibited on the license.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I bought one.

And, at risk of getting my TFR membership card revoked, I haven't used it yet.

It seems well enough built though, I'll give it that.

They also "thoughtfully" included a pistol grip with mine, which if actually attached would make it a prohib.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

slidebite posted:

I bought one.

And, at risk of getting my TFR membership card revoked, I haven't used it yet.

It seems well enough built though, I'll give it that.

They also "thoughtfully" included a pistol grip with mine, which if actually attached would make it a prohib.

Lies. It would change it to restricted. You have 30 days to notify the CFC you've made a change. Or you can put the original stock back on.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Flanker posted:

Lies. It would change it to restricted. You have 30 days to notify the CFC you've made a change. Or you can put the original stock back on.

Not that anyone I know would abuse that privilege frequently. Canadians are law-abiding people.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Flanker posted:

Actually, I meant to say restricted.

Yes, I'm a putz.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I've got a Grizzly and I love it. I'm pretty sure the deal with the pistol grip is that it's ok to use and doesn't change the status. I might be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with having to change the stock with tools and the way the law is worded. I may be way off base. I remember reading that back when they first came out.

They're great guns and I'm sure you wont regret buying one. The only problem I've noticed is that the finish comes off pretty easily. Nothing major, but still a little annoying.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

beaver_cheese posted:

I've got a Grizzly and I love it. I'm pretty sure the deal with the pistol grip is that it's ok to use and doesn't change the status. I might be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with having to change the stock with tools and the way the law is worded. I may be way off base. I remember reading that back when they first came out.

They're great guns and I'm sure you wont regret buying one. The only problem I've noticed is that the finish comes off pretty easily. Nothing major, but still a little annoying.

Now that I think back to what I read in the dealer thread on them, someone was mentioning throwing a folding or M4 type stock on them straight out of the box and a Mod? Admin? stepped in and raged about how that'd be illegal but due to the wording of the law the pistol grip is cool, doubt it'd fly if pulled over or something though. Mind you I'm just going off of poo poo I read on CGN.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey, any of you have experience with Target Sports out of Ontario for mail order?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I'm in the market for a 10/22, and I've been checking out sites like crazy looking for deals. So I've got 2 questions since this is the first time I've actually been able to buy something I found right off the internet.

1) What's the most I should pay for a USED basic model 10/22? The most I should pay for a NEW basic model 10/22?

2) Aside from the usual suspects that I've already been looking over, what are some other decent Canadian websites that have reasonable selections of new and used stuff?

I've noticed that every time a good deal on a used 10/22 comes up on CGN, it's snapped up within minutes so I'm not having any luck with that, and I'm curious if there's any other reasonably frequented sites that I could take a look at.

I feel like a bit of a dork asking, but after getting hosed and mistreated at my local gunshop, I'm not too eager to give them business, and this is my first time actually buying something firearm related off the internet.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Caedus posted:

Websites

http://ellwoodepps.com/ is usually the first place I check. They'll ship to you for $30 extra I think and I've bought used and had them hold onto it for a few months before I could come pick it up.

SIR is listed in the OP (and is now Cabelas Canada) but I also check http://lebaron.ca because it's local and if the planets line up they might have something in stock. Prices are similar and with a lebaron card you get 7% extra off including firearms.

http://wholesalesports.com for price checking as well although I've never bought from them, not sure how their service is.

1) Depends on condition and if you're going to swap out the barrel and stock. $175-200 seems to be the norm for good condition 10/22s

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Ikantski posted:

http://ellwoodepps.com/ is usually the first place I check. They'll ship to you for $30 extra I think and I've bought used and had them hold onto it for a few months before I could come pick it up.

SIR is listed in the OP (and is now Cabelas Canada) but I also check http://lebaron.ca because it's local and if the planets line up they might have something in stock. Prices are similar and with a lebaron card you get 7% extra off including firearms.

http://wholesalesports.com for price checking as well although I've never bought from them, not sure how their service is.

1) Depends on condition and if you're going to swap out the barrel and stock. $175-200 seems to be the norm for good condition 10/22s

ellwoodepps.com was the first place I checked, and they didn't have any used ones, except an expensive target model. I know they have excellent cheap deals, because I saw one new in box with 3 mags for $199 and the next day it was gone.

I'll check out those other sites too, so thanks for that, and I've gathered that's about what they go for used, but honestly I'm not too adverse to buying a new one either, and I wanted to know what's the most I should pay for one retail, on the internet or otherwise. (If it comes down to getting one locally)

E: loving awesome, I found a brand new basic model for $230. Best I've seen so far. Thanks a bunch.

Caedus fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 7, 2008

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Caedus posted:

ellwoodepps.com was the first place I checked, and they didn't have any used ones, except an expensive target model. I know they have excellent cheap deals, because I saw one new in box with 3 mags for $199 and the next day it was gone.

I'll check out those other sites too, so thanks for that, and I've gathered that's about what they go for used, but honestly I'm not too adverse to buying a new one either, and I wanted to know what's the most I should pay for one retail, on the internet or otherwise. (If it comes down to getting one locally)

E: loving awesome, I found a brand new basic model for $230. Best I've seen so far. Thanks a bunch.

Yeah, with the new one, it's in your hands for $30 more if you're close to a lebaron. Epps has one listed now for $199 used with a scope.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

Actually, I found it on the Wholesale Sports site. Epps DID have one for 199 with a scope, but that's the one that got snapped up over night. I told my shooting buddy I was interested in a 10/22, and the next day he linked me to it, and while I was hemming and hawing over it, he bought the damned thing himself.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

does anybody know any gun clubs in the Port Elgin/Kincardine area?

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Flanker posted:

CFC says what?

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155147

According to this, pistol grip away.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

How much should I pay for a used Hi-Power barrel?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DocCynical posted:

CFC says what?

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155147

According to this, pistol grip away.

While that letter could be legit, some of the wording sounded pretty fishy in addition to the bad grammer. "Very" legal?

I would also note that (quelle surprise) the law, as written is ambiguous.

quote:

details that the firearm is reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by means of folding, telescoping or otherwise

So, somehow a pistol grip exempt from "otherwise?"

Even though the impression that is given is by something that may actually change length via some mechanical actuation, the regs as written certainly do not specify that is the case from what I read. Not that Canadian gunlaws make any sense.

Edit: Jesus christ, I did some looking around CGN for the first time in ages. I feel like I should wash my eyes with bleach. Zombies, POSTS IN ALL CAPS are just the tip of the iceberg. Sheesh. I don't miss it at all.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 8, 2008

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

That reminds me. . .

When I went shooting on the 2nd day with Chrieger and Reforger outside Zürich a few other random swiss guys that they knew showed up.

One of them had a CGN shirt, the one with that beaver with the rifle tossing the peace sign (or V for Victory sign if you're from 1940s England).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cyrano4747 posted:

One of them had a CGN shirt, the one with that beaver with the rifle tossing the peace sign (or V for Victory sign if you're from 1940s England).

I've actually got one of those.
Don't ask.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

A Dlask AR with that abortion laser-etched onto the magwell has been up for sale on the EE there for an eternity now. Ugh.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Cyrano4747 posted:

That reminds me. . .

When I went shooting on the 2nd day with Chrieger and Reforger outside Zürich a few other random swiss guys that they knew showed up.

This story ends with you stabbing this person right?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

CGN may not be perfect, but overall they've been pretty good for the Canadian firearms community. Without CGN, we'd probably have our asses banned back to the stone ages, stuck with nothing but Nerf guns.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

HPL posted:

CGN may not be perfect, but overall they've been pretty good for the Canadian firearms community. Without CGN, we'd probably have our asses banned back to the stone ages, stuck with nothing but Nerf guns.

They're good and bad. That place teeters back and forth from "mildly offensive" to "retarded". I'm glad that they don't endorse illegal behavior, and that they managed to avoid the PS90 group buy fiasco, but that place makes me generally uneasy. They really bring out the best and worst parts of the Canadian firearm community. Unfortunately, unlike real life, the paranoid xenophobes are able to post in bulk and match the larger group of healthy normal shooters.

I don't think I'd credit them with any kind of legislative success. The letter writing campaigns have been good, and have ensured a limited degree of equality in newspaper editorial columns, but the legal status of firearms in Canada has much more to do with minority government and sponsorship scandals than an internet forum. I'd be thrilled if something concrete did come out of that place, but it's a long way off. Hell, I'd be thrilled if everyone on there would buy a CSSA membership (Everyone on here should already have one.)

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I've actually got one of those.
Don't ask.

Also I can't let this get away. Please tell me someone wrapped a shotgun in it when you bought it or something. Anything.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

PS90 group buy fiasco?
I think I remember seeing a thread way back about getting some ps90s but didn't check up on it, did an importer or somebody gently caress it up and go to jail or run with people's money or something?

I hope it's ok to ask about.

Maybe slidebite thought the shirt was cool looking, like back in highschool when wolf/dragon button up shirts were seen as cool by some folks?

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Jack Ketch posted:

PS90 group buy fiasco?
I think I remember seeing a thread way back about getting some ps90s but didn't check up on it, did an importer or somebody gently caress it up and go to jail or run with people's money or something?

I hope it's ok to ask about.

Maybe slidebite thought the shirt was cool looking, like back in highschool when wolf/dragon button up shirts were seen as cool by some folks?

Jail.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

CGNs equipment exchange is pretty sweet except the guys trying to sell mosins and SKSs for 300 dollars.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

speaking of SKSs drake do you guys have those damned russian ones yet

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Chunderbucket posted:

speaking of SKSs drake do you guys have those damned russian ones yet

It's possible. They weren't in when I poked my head in a week ago, but I haven't been at work for months now. I'll be back this week, so I'll update.

Ketch: Both. They guy took a bunch of people's money, lied his rear end off on the import documents, and is currently in jail. And he didn't return anyone's money.

helno
Jun 19, 2003
hmm now were did I leave that plane

Phlegmbot posted:

does anybody know any gun clubs in the Port Elgin/Kincardine area?

I was going to ask the same thing. I take it you are heading there to work at the Bruce?

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

helno posted:

I was going to ask the same thing. I take it you are heading there to work at the Bruce?

Possibly. I need to get my life sorted out - there's a 50% chance I'll be up there next summer.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I'm looking at a Savage Mk II BV with accutrigger on CGN for $275. 200 round count. Seems in almost mint condition. That includes delivery since we're both in Toronto and as much 22 ammo he has laying around. Does that seem like a good deal? I'm sure I can talk him down a bit. They seem to go for around 300 - 350 + tax and shipping in retail stores.

Would you go for it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I'm looking for any canadian retailers that have lots of AR stuff. Especially flash hiders. Do they exist? Because google isn't very helpful.

EDIT: I am going throgh the dealers found in the first post and looking if anyone has what I am after.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 11, 2008

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Holy poo poo, Im glad I got bored and went through the retailers and found the guy importing new FEG KGP9s for 1400 bucks. If I can't find a Skorpion for cheaper im totally grabbing one of those in October. I can only imagine the fun phone call when that thing hits customs though.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

SKS's are delayed again until September. I've been thinking about getting a case of 7.62x39 for when it arrives but everyone wants like $70 for shipping. Is there anywhere near Toronto that has them?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

beaver_cheese posted:

I'm looking at a Savage Mk II BV with accutrigger on CGN for $275. 200 round count. Seems in almost mint condition. That includes delivery since we're both in Toronto and as much 22 ammo he has laying around. Does that seem like a good deal? I'm sure I can talk him down a bit. They seem to go for around 300 - 350 + tax and shipping in retail stores.

Would you go for it?

Yes. Sounds like a good deal to me. I've seen a fair few pre-accutrigger models go for over $350.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm looking for any canadian retailers that have lots of AR stuff. Especially flash hiders. Do they exist? Because google isn't very helpful.

EDIT: I am going throgh the dealers found in the first post and looking if anyone has what I am after.

They are really hard to find right now. I went through the same thing a few weeks ago trying to find a FH that would push me over the 16" mark. I ended up having to buy privately.

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Holy poo poo, Im glad I got bored and went through the retailers and found the guy importing new FEG KGP9s for 1400 bucks. If I can't find a Skorpion for cheaper im totally grabbing one of those in October. I can only imagine the fun phone call when that thing hits customs though.

Wow, that is definitely awesome. All of the CZ91's I've seen have gone for around $1450-1550. FEG's are rad though.

Millow posted:

SKS's are delayed again until September. I've been thinking about getting a case of 7.62x39 for when it arrives but everyone wants like $70 for shipping. Is there anywhere near Toronto that has them?

CanadaAmmo used to always sell their crates of x39 with shipping included. Have you talked to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Heres the dude with the FEGs, hes also got a never fired CZ-91 but thats a bit pricey. I imagine most pistol ranges would let me shoot that FEG no problem as its 9x19?

http://astorarms.ca/restricted_long_guns.htm