Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Gtab posted:

And then America would finally have a land connection to Alaska. Life would be supremely rad.

And thus began the invasion of Sibera...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

HPL posted:

And thus began the invasion of Sibera...

Don't tease me.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Millow posted:

Do they have a website? I found http://www.silverdalesports.ca/ but it doesn't work. Maybe this place is worth checking out.

http://www.silverdalegunclub.com/index.html

From my time there it seems like it's going to be a nice range to join. Everyone was friendly. Going in I was worried it was going to be filled with just old people shooting nothing but bench rest who would be unfriendly and just want to sight in their guns and leave. I couldn't have been more wrong. Everyone was talkative and would joke around. I compared my stock M14 to a guy's customized M14. I saw at least 3 guys with ARs doing rapid fire. We were doing rapid fire shots with the Tavor on the action range. A lot of younger people. It had a really good feeling to it.

The actual ranges were all well maintained. Everything was in good condition. There's a gun store on site that sells guns, ammo, cleaning supplies, basically everything you'd want in a gun store. Overhearing people talking in the store he can order in anything.

The woman behind the counter said that if you join now it will only be 100 bucks for the rest of the year. It's 225 for a full year.

Millow, what area do you live in?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I don't want to be part of the US though. I like Cascadia better.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

mikerock posted:

I don't want to be part of the US though. I like Cascadia better.

Are you suggesting a PNW nation composed of OR, WA, and BC?

Add AK and I'm down for this.

----------------

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Gtab posted:

But only the parts with oil.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Gtab posted:

Are you suggesting a PNW nation composed of OR, WA, and BC?

AK, YT, BC, WA and OR.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

beaver_cheese posted:

http://www.silverdalegunclub.com/index.html

From my time there it seems like it's going to be a nice range to join. Everyone was friendly. Going in I was worried it was going to be filled with just old people shooting nothing but bench rest who would be unfriendly and just want to sight in their guns and leave. I couldn't have been more wrong. Everyone was talkative and would joke around. I compared my stock M14 to a guy's customized M14. I saw at least 3 guys with ARs doing rapid fire. We were doing rapid fire shots with the Tavor on the action range. A lot of younger people. It had a really good feeling to it.

The actual ranges were all well maintained. Everything was in good condition. There's a gun store on site that sells guns, ammo, cleaning supplies, basically everything you'd want in a gun store. Overhearing people talking in the store he can order in anything.

The woman behind the counter said that if you join now it will only be 100 bucks for the rest of the year. It's 225 for a full year.

Millow, what area do you live in?

Toronto, High Park area. Me and a buddy were trying to find local ranges, well he was more then I have been. Have you ever checked out the Orillia gun club or the Oshawa gun club? We were also considering joining either of those.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I've looked into a couple. I think I checked those out.

I was looking at Range Burlington, which I think Flanker shoots at. It's actually closer than Silverdale, but I think it's smaller.

Send me an email. taylorjwyatt@gmail.com

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 26, 2008

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

mikerock posted:

AK, YT, BC, WA and OR.

Bring in Alberta and we'd probably be the richest country per capita in the world. Not to mention the best looking and most awesome due to the rockies and pacific coast.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

That would get me to pack my bags and get the gently caress out of Ontario like none other.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Petit.Conan posted:

That would get me to pack my bags and get the gently caress out of Ontario like none other.

What, getting hosed in the rear end by your CFO on a regular basis isn't enough?

I get my ATT's emailed to me instantly, and we can sometimes get same-day approval of restricted transfers. Hahaha, gently caress Ontario.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

No, it makes me want to stick around here and fight the good fight. But if the other ever happened it would be just too tempting of an offer.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

DrakeriderCa posted:

Bring in Alberta and we'd probably be the richest country per capita in the world. Not to mention the best looking and most awesome due to the rockies and pacific coast.

My thoughts exactly. We'd clean up so hard on the scale of "being loving awesome."

----------------

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, sounds like Harper is setting up the stage to pull the pin on Governement within 2 weeks.

As much as I love him :bigtran: I fear best we can hope is another Conservative minority, unless people actually wake the gently caress up and realize he's done pretty much everything he said he would do and he really is the lesser of all the evils out there.

Edit: To keep this TFR related: If Dion gets in I'll bet $50 with anyone here that will take me up on it (I'm serious) that he'll propose, and get, a handgun ban. All the lefties want one so loving bad they don't even bother to hide it anymore.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 26, 2008

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Edit: To keep this TFR related: If Dion gets in I'll bet $50 with anyone here that will take me up on it (I'm serious) that he'll propose, and get, a handgun ban. All the lefties want one so loving bad they don't even bother to hide it anymore.

No bet. A blanket ban on all semi-autos and handguns was in the official Liberal platform for years. It might not be so visible anymore, but I guarantee it's still there. If it comes down to an election, DO NOT loving FORGET TO MAKE THIS A BIG ISSUE. Ask people if they thought it was great to spend $2 Billion for a negligible gain. Ask if they feel like quadrupling that number (at least), for a definite lack of improvement. I'm serious - quit being a baby and letting your relatives get away with being couch cushion liberals. Point out how utterly retarded this is, and how it only hurts legitimate sportsmen. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but people need to talk to their friends and family about this. Take everyone shooting. EVERYONE

DrlHn
May 7, 2007

slidebite posted:

Won't take up that bet, but good lord don't make me crap my pants

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

slidebite posted:

So, sounds like Harper is setting up the stage to pull the pin on Governement within 2 weeks.

As much as I love him :bigtran: I fear best we can hope is another Conservative minority, unless people actually wake the gently caress up and realize he's done pretty much everything he said he would do and he really is the lesser of all the evils out there.

Harper got a raw deal with the American economy going into the crapper, taking the Canadian economy with it. The environment thing hurt them because they tried to be honest and reasonable, but the pie-in-the-sky crowd yelled louder than them. The "election spending scandal" may turn out to be a non-issue in the long run since every other party was doing it in one form or another, hence the lack of pressure from the other parties on that issue, if any.

That said, I agree that there's no hope in hell of the Conservatives getting anything more than another minority win.

I don't think a handgun ban makes sense for the Liberals because the people that would support it wouldn't put nearly as much money down on it as the people that would oppose it. There are lots of people who would support it, but in a "don't really understand it, don't really care" manner whereas those who would oppose it and actually have something to lose would oppose it far more vigorously. In other words, a handgun ban would do nothing but put more gun owners' money in the Conservatives' pocket both in the lead-up to it and in the resulting backlash and into the next election at the benefit of little or no extra money for the Liberals aside from what they were already getting from the various anti-gun groups.

The political benefit would also be smaller than it would be worth because a handgun ban would achieve nothing as far as statistics go, which would not satisfy those who casually supported it. Those who zealously supported it to the point of ignoring anything negative about it would be a small minority. If anything, given the proper media coverage, it would only be more political ammo for the Conservatives for the next election, much like the gun registry was for them the last time around because there's no way they could do a total handgun ban for cheap. That plus think of the amount of administration time and money it would take for the police to carry out that ban as opposed to, you know, actually stopping criminals.

I think the greater threat is things like the UN marking program because that affects everything, not just handguns and you know the Liberals would be on board for that if only because it's a UN initiative.

HPL fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 26, 2008

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

HPL posted:

I don't think a handgun ban makes sense for the Liberals because the people that would support it wouldn't put nearly as much money down on it as the people that would oppose it. .....

The political benefit would also be smaller than it would be worth because a handgun ban would achieve nothing as far as statistics go, which would not satisfy those who casually supported it.
That's all irrelevant though, unfortunately. Even up to the last election, Paul Martin trumped it out as a major platform even though he had to know drat well in the big scheme of things it would hardly do anything to crime and take away the freedom of law abiding citizens.

Unfortunately, the Liberals and even old PCs would far rather go for the vocal minority than the silent, or undecided majority. If for nothing else it shows HOW TOUGH ON GUN CRIME they are ( ), which, it seems the special interest groups in 416 still try to get mileage with.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

slidebite posted:

That's all irrelevant though, unfortunately. Even up to the last election, Paul Martin trumped it out as a major platform even though he had to know drat well in the big scheme of things it would hardly do anything to crime and take away the freedom of law abiding citizens.

The one thing working in our favour is that was an idea of "crazy old uncle Paulie that we keep locked in the basement and never speak of anymore" whereas Dion wants to distance himself from the Martin regime. If Dion wants to dredge up the handgun ban again, unless it's radically different from the last proposal, the Conservatives will just dust off all their old press releases from the last election.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The thing that worries me though is if they are clever enough and don't make it an election issue, they will just put a bill up during parliament which the NDP and almost certainly PQ will endorse. Especially if there is another tragedy, even south of the border, to capitalize on. That old windbag Wendy Caulkier will be milking a new Liberal government so loving hard that teet would be get a callus.

Actually, I half expected them to do something along those lines the past couple years being the Conservatives couldn't block it if they tried.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

slidebite posted:

Actually, I half expected them to do something along those lines the past couple years being the Conservatives couldn't block it if they tried.

I can't really figure out why any of the parties would want an election soon. It's ideal for all parties. The Conservatives get to pretend to be calling the shots and get the nice offices in the House. The Liberals can blame the Conservatives for everything while making handshake agreements with them under the table. The NDP and PQ can blame everyone else but themselves while making handshake agreements under the table with either the Liberals or Conservatives. And of course all parties can take credit when things go right because after all, they all worked together to get things done, didn't they?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 29, 2007

pensive

Harper's a piece of poo poo. Jack Layton, you can take me home anytime

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I really hope you're loving around, because Layton is easily the most anti of the 3 - he said last year that guns don't need to be present in a city and should all be locked up at a secure facility at the range.

gently caress him and his loving commie policies that would gently caress this country over so bad some provinces might actually look at leaving.

I'd rather have Dion calling the shots over that gently caress, but that's really choosing between a poo poo sandwich and runs soup.

quote:

The Conservatives get to pretend to be calling the shots and get the nice offices in the House. The Liberals can blame the Conservatives for everything while making handshake agreements with them under the table.
Liberals feel like the might be able to gain momentum and I think Harper thinks he can still pull a minority, or if he runs a loving brilliant campaign possibly even more. In reality, the "scandals" he's facing right now are so minor the news and opposition really have to work hard to keep it in the limelight, so it's probably not an awful time.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 26, 2008

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

I really hate how provinces have opted out of the firearms act but they didn't loving get out of it.

gently caress the firearms act, gently caress Canada.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 29, 2007

pensive

slidebite posted:

gently caress him and his loving commie policies that would gently caress this country over so bad some provinces might actually look at leaving.

A) He's the prettiest of the three.
B) I'm one of those mysterious left-wing pro-gun types.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ambrose Burnside posted:

A) He's the prettiest of the three.
Really?

Harper isn't all that bad, certainly quite stately.

Dion, while maybe not as stately as Harper and has a bit of deer in the headlights look, isn't half bad as a man.

And then there is Layton (untouched original photo)

quote:

B) I'm one of those mysterious left-wing pro-gun types.
Unfortunately, you've picked the wrong team if your actually pro-gun. I'd personally like to own my gun and not bankrupt the country enacting gia-normous social programs that take away personal responsibility.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Jack Layton has the best spot in Canadian politics. He can yell any kind of crazy poo poo he wants because he knows he'll never actually get into power and be held accountable for any of it.

Pantless Geek
May 25, 2007
The right hand is for abuse, but the left hand is discipline.

Sorry to go off topic on you guys, but in the OP there are links to pdf's of the manual to study when you want to challange the CFSC(Or whatever) exam.

Links don't work, neither will google. Anyone know where I can get the manual?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 29, 2007

pensive

slidebite posted:

Really?

look at that fuckin moustache
LOOK AT IT

quote:

Unfortunately, you've picked the wrong team if your actually pro-gun. I'd personally like to own my gun and not bankrupt the country enacting gia-normous social programs that take away personal responsibility.

I'm only pro-gun to a certain extent, which means I can harmonize "I should be able to own a short-barreled handgun" with "the rich should be taxed 95% and forced to wear sack-cloth".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

slidebite posted:

And then there is Layton (untouched original photo)

Oh sweet, I was worried I was going to have to go to CGN for this today.

Also chiming in as an American saying that a Greater Cascadia would be the most awesome country on the planet, assuming of course that we had sane, sensible firearms legislation*

*i.e. none.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh sweet, I was worried I was going to have to go to CGN for this today.
CGN posters know how to attach photos to their posts?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

slidebite posted:

CGN posters know how to attach photos to their posts?

Touché. . .

spelling it like a francophone in a thread

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Meh. I've tried the "living under a smiley NDP leader with a moustache" thing before and it didn't end well for anyone when they drove business away from the province and ran the economy into the ground while failing to keep their voter base happy, judging by all the strikes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

HPL posted:

Meh. I've tried the "living under a smiley NDP leader with a moustache" thing before and it didn't end well for anyone when they drove business away from the province and ran the economy into the ground while failing to keep their voter base happy, judging by all the strikes.
I lived in BC under this NDP (nice 'stash, Glen). The scandals and horrific budgets that these crooked fuckers pulled off were unbelievable. I know that the Provincial and Federal NDP are in theory different, but they are so ideologically similar that even the thought of them getting into Federal power (will never happen, I know) scares the poo poo out of me.

Oh, news today:

quote:

The prime minister said he is continuing to consider whether an election needs to be called, a decision he has said he expects to make in the next few weeks. Senior Conservatives have suggested Harper could pull the plug on his minority government as early as Sept. 2.

"The country must have a government that can function during a time of economic uncertainty," Harper said.

He said he is not willing to wait for Sept. 9, the day Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion has suggested he could meet with Harper and discuss the issue of whether Parliament can continue as is.
Anyone want to start an election pool? I'll actually take the 2nd.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 29, 2007

pensive

The NDP are corrupt because they know they'll never really be under the magnifying glass.

Minus the awful money-siphoning and hypocrisy, I like the NDP quite a bit. Green party's not bad, but they're only slightly less useless than the PQ.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

The NDP do a good job of serving as the Lisa Simpson of Canadian politics, but their vision is unsustainable if they should ever get into power because they're anti-business, yet all their grand plans rely on an existing pool of wealth to suck dry. If the big money and industry leaves Canada out of disgust from being taxed and regulated to death, then there's nothing left to pay for all those wonderful social and environmental programs.

So in other words, you'll somehow end up being in the top tax bracket even if your job consists of pounding two rocks together for a dollar an hour. Before taxes, of course.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Pantless Geek posted:

Sorry to go off topic on you guys, but in the OP there are links to pdf's of the manual to study when you want to challange the CFSC(Or whatever) exam.

Links don't work, neither will google. Anyone know where I can get the manual?

Non-restricted

Restricted

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, at risk of turning this toooo much into a political thread, the political pundits are pretty sure it's going to happen next week, with the actual vote to occur on Oct 14.

quote:

Prime Minister Stephen Harper made an argument Tuesday for pre-empting his own fixed-election law and dissolving Parliament, all but formally declaring he will call a snap election next week...........He suspected if Harper does trigger a vote, the election will be called on Sept. 5 or 6, with a voting day of Oct. 14.

One thing I will say I like about the Canadian system over the US is we don't have 2 years of active planning for the next election. Sure, while in office they do everything they can do get in again next time, but election is called, you vote about a month later. Short and sweet campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Cruster! posted:

Non-restricted

Restricted

What do you figure the most important poo poo to read over here is?

Also what are the rules for face to face transfers in Canada?