Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

That poo poo is ridiculous. How does this kid not have gang connections? He just happened to have $25k sitting around, and thought "I think guns are neat. I wouldn't mind having some nice collectibles in a display cabinet."? I really need to see the transcripts from the proceedings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

DrakeriderCa posted:

That poo poo is ridiculous. How does this kid not have gang connections? He just happened to have $25k sitting around, and thought "I think guns are neat. I wouldn't mind having some nice collectibles in a display cabinet."? I really need to see the transcripts from the proceedings.

The kids name is Octavian? Real life Bond villain found..news at 11!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I like the little blurb on the front page at Questar's web site.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Hey, any canadians in here able to get me a few good photos of the current iteration of the M16 clone (forget the Canadian designation) that you're using?

It's some kind of full length upper on a collapsible stock, right?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey, any canadians in here able to get me a few good photos of the current iteration of the M16 clone (forget the Canadian designation) that you're using?

It's some kind of full length upper on a collapsible stock, right?

http://www.casr.ca/101-army-smallarm-1.htm

The Canadian Forces web site has, or at least had a nice section on their gear as well.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0.asp

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

HPL posted:

http://www.casr.ca/101-army-smallarm-1.htm

The Canadian Forces web site has, or at least had a nice section on their gear as well.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0.asp

Wow, lots of typos on that equipment page. Here's an example:

quote:

The C7A1 assault rifle is a soldier's best friend. It is the personal weapon for most soldiers both in Canada and on operational missions around the world. The weapon is a Canadian adaptation of the U.S. firearm known as the M16. It is capable of being equipped with a grenadE launcher, laser pointer, and a night vision sight.

Cool sites though. Thanks for the info.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

I would like to beat that kid senseless.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Email I got from the Greens outlining their firearms policy:

The Green Party posted:

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your email regarding gun control in Canada.

Police associations across Canada assert that the gun registry helps them keep law and order. Many rural Canadians and First Nations people find the restrictions onerous and discriminatory. We need to better balance these interests without allowing guns to be prevalent in society.

The Green Party will keep the gun registry, but reduce the paperwork and bureaucratic burden for rural use and for hunters and marksmen, with no criminal history.

In the wake of the Dawson College shootings, two important things were learnt. The guns were registered and they were powerful semi-automatic weapons only desirable if one wants to kill lots of people. The fact the guns were registered does not prove the gun registry is a failure. It does demonstrate that some guns need to be made entirely illegal. Semi-automatic guns and handguns are in this category. They should be banned.

Green Party MPs will:

* Eliminate use of handguns, automatic and semi-automatic weapons for personal use by means of careful review and consultation, enhancement of gun registry and development of other programs to control gun use and ownership. Consult especially with holders of collections to ensure guns are rendered non-functional to eliminate usefulness to thieves.
* Streamline the gun registry in consultation with hunter organizations, First Nations and sportsmen. Ensure the registration system is fair for all users.
* Support the elimination of registration fees for firearms designed specifically for hunting.
* Strengthen measures to combat gun smuggling and the possession of banned weapons.
* Ban handguns and combat weapons including semi-automatic rifles and assault rifles.

I hope I have been able to provide you with clear information on our policy regarding gun control.

Donate to the Green Party Volunteer for the Green Party Request a lawn sign

Sincerely,

Michael McDonald
Green Party Information Centre
Centre d'information du Parti Vert
1-866-868-3447
https://www.greenparty.ca/donate

I replied with thanks, and that I would not be voting for their party as a handgun owner and user of "military style firearms" in competetive shooting events.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

mikerock posted:

Email I got from the Greens outlining their firearms policy:

I replied with thanks, and that I would not be voting for their party as a handgun owner and user of "military style firearms" in competetive shooting events.

I think a better way to have done it is to ask them like this:

"To whomever it may concern,

I am a concerned voter looking to donate a sizable amount of money to a party that best reflects my interests. Can you clarify the party's stance on gun control?"

And then after they send you a letter like you got"

"Oh, that is not at all what I hoped to hear. I am afraid I can not in good conscience fund a party with a radical agenda like that."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

HPL posted:

I think a better way to have done it is to ask them like this:

The problem is that any left of centre party in Canada, pretty much by definition, well be "anti" gun. Any pointing out how idiotic they are cannot change that. It's in their DNA or some loving thing. The only possible exception would be HUGE money and it is the Liberals (corrupt fuckers) and even then it would only possibly change their stance for a short while.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I really want to participate in my country's political process, but how in good conscience can I vote for any of these political parties, when almost all of them want to deprive me of my right to own and shoot handguns and "military style assault rifles"? I really don't want to be a one-issue voter, but despite the fact that I agree with bits and pieces of all the party's various policies, almost all of them are straight-up insulting regarding firearms. I don't like it when people kill other people with guns, and I'll put up with our licensing system because I know it helps keep criminals and the mentally ill from walking into a local gun shop, picking up a gun and then committing a crime. However for these parties to be saying that I, a fully legal, fully licensed, fully informed citizen shouldn't be allowed to use a pistol for target shooting, or a semi-auto rifle that happens to be black makes me not want to participate at all.

I hate the Conservative Party in all regards except for their firearms policy which is merely apathetic at best. Harper hasn't made anything specifically more difficult for me to do as a firearms owner, and that's the only credit I will give him.

Not that expected any more from them, but that email from the Green Party had me fuming, and the other parties aren't much better. Storage laws already prevent me from using a handgun for self-defense, so why the gently caress can't I target shoot with one? Why, in the face of evidence that most illegal handguns are smuggled in from the States, despite numerous examples of areas going handgun-free and not see any drop in gun-related violence, is the only viable solution that anyone will pay attention to is "BAN THEM ALL!!!!".

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the more I hear about this the more uneasy I get. I love guns. I love reading about them, I love talking about them, I love learning about them, I love shooting them. I enjoy it as a hobby, I enjoy (some of) the firearms community, and my future ambition is to work with them for a living. Why then, despite spending 28 hours in a classroom learning safety, despite having a government issue license, and having all my firearms directly registered to the government is taking my rights away to own and shoot the guns I'd like to shoot the only way to reduce gun crime?

I want to use my vote to have my say in what policy's my country and government adopts.. but what do I do when no party is saying what I want said? What do I do when every political party in the country wants to ban my hobby instead of actively trying to fight the crime that's already going on? I want to vote for a party that wants to enact common sense gun laws, but none exist.

I love my country, but drat your political parties really suck.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I can tell you that the Conservatives would like to be more pro-gun publicly, but can't because the other parties would use it against them. Rest assured, there are plenty of pro-gun Conservative MPs. If they can get a majorit y, we may start to see some positive change, but for now they must walk on eggshells.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Caedus posted:

I love my country

There's your mistake.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Caedus posted:

I hate the Conservative Party in all regards except for their firearms policy which is merely apathetic at best. Harper hasn't made anything specifically more difficult for me to do as a firearms owner, and that's the only credit I will give him.

Out of curiosity, why do you "hate" the conservatives? Did Harper run over your dog or something? I have and will again admit I am a conservative supporter (now) but I find the changes they want to make are pretty positive.

I guess if you're a big supporter of government assisted airfare for art shows, that'd be a reason to dislike them... but hate them?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

slidebite posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you "hate" the conservatives?

They introduced the Canadian version of the DMCA?

This is the only thing they've done that's annoyed me so far but they're still head and shoulders above the rest. I'd rather they took away my MP3s than my future handguns.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Happy new gun/first AR day to me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ikantski posted:

They introduced the Canadian version of the DMCA?

This is the only thing they've done that's annoyed me so far but they're still head and shoulders above the rest. I'd rather they took away my MP3s than my future handguns.

Fair enough. Truth be told, while it pisses me off it's not a huge deal to me personally and it likely won't fly anyhow. Any other party will end up doing some updated "act" anyhow, but that's a better answer than I expected.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Cruster! posted:

Happy new gun/first AR day to me.

God I need to get an AR. You guys are killing me.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

beaver_cheese posted:

God I need to get an AR. You guys are killing me.

Don't even get me started.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Hate was a bit strong of a word. I dislike them for attacking the DMCA and all that crazy copyright stuff, telling me that if I own a CD I can't rip it and put it on my Ipod. A few other things too but I don't want to go into it right now. Harper has done a decent job in the way that he hasn't made my life more difficult in any way. I don't hate the Conservatives, I just think they've pulled a few dick moves.

I dislike pretty much all of the political parties. I think the word I'm looking for is "disenfranchised". When I read though the different parties' agendas on their websites, I'm usually half "Wow that sounds like a really good idea" and half "who could be that loving stupid?". I would really like a party I can get behind 100%, but none exist.

I like a lot of the Green Party's ideas, I like a lot of the NDP's ideas too. I even voted NDP last election.. but all of these parties have knee-jerk reactions to shootings and violent crime, and the only proposed solutions I see coming out is to ban all handguns and semi-automatic rifles. The average Joe Canadian doesn't own a handgun or a semi-auto, so when the different parties talk about banning them, it doesn't affect them, so they don't care. Vote passes, there's another gun I'll never be able to own because someone in the NDP thought it looked scary!

I feel sort of how the Democrats in TFR in the US feel - they want to vote Democratic because they agree with most of what Obama has to say, but they feel uneasy because both he and Biden have an anti-gun track record. If I thought Jack Layton wasn't going to pounce on legal gun owners the second he got into office, I wouldn't think twice about voting NDP. Now I just wanna vote for the guy who's going to gently caress me the least when it comes to my hobby and my future livelihood.

I don't see anything wrong with loving my country, Gtab. That's not to say I can't be critical when my leader AND his opposition have their heads up their asses, but Canada has been very good to me. I've never been shot, stabbed or mugged on the street, I've never had crippling medical bills for an injury, and I got a good education in Catholic schools that didn't have an issue teaching me evolution in Science class. I know you got screwed pretty hard by the systems we have in place after your injury, so your mileage may vary.

Besides I get to be a dual citizen so when both countries go loving nuts I'll just live along the 200 yard wide border and obey no man's laws.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The border's only a ditch on this side.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

I'm surprised this took so long to get out, I live in Surrey and read this in the paper months ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

I live in Surrey
Sorry to hear that.

At least you live close to some of the dirtiest girls I've ever known.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Caedus posted:

I feel sort of how the Democrats in TFR in the US feel - they want to vote Democratic because they agree with most of what Obama has to say, but they feel uneasy because both he and Biden have an anti-gun track record. If I thought Jack Layton wasn't going to pounce on legal gun owners the second he got into office, I wouldn't think twice about voting NDP. Now I just wanna vote for the guy who's going to gently caress me the least when it comes to my hobby and my future livelihood.

The Canadian conservatives are basically pro-gun American democrats, I don't see the problem here. I'm just curious, are you a journalism student at Carleton in Ottawa?

I don't see how you can trust NDP at all. How can you trust them when they say poo poo like this

quote:

Science tells us that unchecked greenhouse gas emissions invite catastrophe—vanishing polar ice caps, rising sea levels, altered agriculture, massive deforestation, species extinctions, virulent diseases, extreme weather events, economic hardship. Faced with this conclusive evidence, successive Prime Ministers promised you and your family that they would act—but kept pandering to big polluters instead.

GLOBAL APOCALYPSE UNLESS YOU VOTE NDP!

I've got my sign up, this is the first election I've actually wanted a party to get a majority. I didn't trust the CPC anti-gay/anti-abortion agenda before but they seem to be over that.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

slidebite posted:

Sorry to hear that.

At least you live close to some of the dirtiest girls I've ever known.

Too bad im gay like Gtab.

Surrey has a lot of pluses though.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

No it doesnt

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

first thing i thought when i saw the picture caption of the mp5: "that's not a machinegun, it's a sub-machine gun. It uses pistol rounds!"

my god, the idiocy of the comments, it's like he was hiding an Abomb. OH NO A GLOCK 18!

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 11, 2008

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

FullMetalJacket posted:

first thing i thought when i saw the picture caption of the mp5: "that's not a machinegun, it's a sub-machine gun. It uses pistol rounds!"

my god, the idiocy of the comments, it's like he was hiding an Abomb. OH NO A GLOCK 18!

You know, this is the first time I've really understood what the sub-machine gun name came from.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Gtab posted:

No it doesnt

Come on theres a FEW.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

You are still currently able to get out of Surrey if you happen to find yourself in Surrey. That is a plus.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Come on theres a FEW.

mikerock posted:

You are still currently able to get out of Surrey if you happen to find yourself in Surrey. That is a plus.

Bingo.

Seriously Surrey has nothing the rest of Vancouver doesn't have, except STDs and a particularly disgusting populace.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Any Southern Alberta TFR goons here?

I've just found out I was promoted... and to be transferred to Lethbridge from Northern Alberta.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

slidebite posted:

Any Southern Alberta TFR goons here?

I've just found out I was promoted... and to be transferred to Lethbridge from Northern Alberta.

Yaaaaay you're closer to me

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gtab posted:

Yaaaaay you're closer to me

Well poo poo. I might have to reconsider after all.

In other news:
Conservatives Gaining momentum and on a motherfuckin' roll

If they can keep close to this, they may, just may, pull a majority out of their

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

So uhh, say the conservatives win. Is there any chance of poo poo that sucks being made less sucky.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So uhh, say the conservatives win. Is there any chance of poo poo that sucks being made less sucky.

Such as?

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

slidebite posted:

Such as?

Oh come on I think you know what I mean.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh come on I think you know what I mean.
Actually, I'm not trying to be dense.. but no, I'm not sure I know what you mean.
You mean gun laws already on the books or are you talking about other poo poo?

Give me a hint. I might be able to answer your question.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

slidebite posted:

Actually, I'm not trying to be dense.. but no, I'm not sure I know what you mean.
You mean gun laws already on the books or are you talking about other poo poo?

Give me a hint. I might be able to answer your question.

I want an AK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I want an AK.
Well, I would actually be really surprised if they relaxed the current prohib list. That would probably be seen as a little too pro-gun for their comfort. However, I think it is likely nothing will be added and indeed it would be the death knell to the registry. They will kill it once and for all. I have little doubt of that.

I guess there is a possibility of a total re-writing of the gun laws from the ground up. If that happens I suppose there is a chance that they'll become available again, but I would certainly not want to bet on it.

Buy a 858 and be loving happy.