Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Gtab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlpDiXPZHQ

LIFE CALL SAVES LIVES
There used to be a remix of that commercial, featuring James Brown's "Sex Machine", but I can't find it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Karl_moebius posted:

From the firearm blog:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/08/05/how-many-accessories-is-too-much/

A H&K G-36K right? but then the goofy handle is covered in... three lasers, an eotech, night vision? and some sort of upward facing led screen? with his monocle?

I am confused.

complete stab in the dark on this one.... laser illuminator for guided munitions?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

shalafi4 posted:

complete stab in the dark on this one.... laser illuminator for guided munitions?

I'm thinking more of a television camera for aiming around corners.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

quote:

A H&K G-36K right? but then the goofy handle is covered in... three lasers, an eotech, night vision? and some sort of upward facing led screen? with his monocle?

Is there a MW2 for the Nintendo 3DS yet?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Mad Dragon posted:

There used to be a remix of that commercial, featuring James Brown's "Sex Machine", but I can't find it. :(

I need to see this. I am in a better mood just knowing it exists!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

I'm thinking more of a television camera for aiming around corners.

Could that be the control unit to those fancy computer controlled airburst capable grenades from the good old OICW project, revived?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Arrath posted:

Could that be the control unit to those fancy computer controlled airburst capable grenades from the good old OICW project, revived?
The XM25 is already deployed in Afghanistan. It doesn't need reviving.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Pitch posted:

Even so, other nations are experimenting with those capabilities. The big one is South Korea, who have field-tested their OICW-style assault rifles in Afghanistan as well. The picture is from the Spanish Combatiente Futuro program, so it may very well be some sort of the OICW derivative, with a single-shot, airburst-capable 40mm and made with off-the-shelf components and standard issue weapons.

Of course, this is what Defense Industry Daily had to say about the weapons of COMFUT:

quote:

Weapons and sensors: Basic weapon is the H&K G-36E, now in service. Sensors to be installed iclude a day-use video camera and thermal vision cameras, and a monocle sight on the helmet to receive images from the gun-mounted sensors.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Karl_moebius posted:

This is what you call a force multiplier. Multiply by zero when Soldado Garza here has a heat stroke 20 minutes into the patrol.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pitch posted:

Oh cool, I had no idea.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

no. Thats not possible.

And you say you want to go be a doctor.

Go read this.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Chantilly Say posted:

And you say you want to go be a doctor.

Go read this.

quote:

#6 Never, ever leave flashlights, shampoo bottles, beer bottles or any long, circular object on the floor because someday you will fall on it and it will somehow, work its way up your rectum.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

I bought a 45 round AK mag.. "kit". That alone is tacticlol.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pitch posted:

If it's being fielded, wouldn't that mean it's no longer an experimental weapon and no longer warrants an 'X'?

Chrieger
Sep 24, 2006

It is got toothpick!

Karl_moebius posted:

Photos like that are mostly PR bullshit to somehow "show that they're doing something ~~*NEW*~~". They are usually made by strapping all kindsa poo poo to both the gun and the soldier.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

IDK it's not the first time they advertised actually valid weapons tech way before it became practical

Dr.Oblivious posted:

If it's being fielded, wouldn't that mean it's no longer an experimental weapon and no longer warrants an 'X'?

Oh, no, that X is for Xtreme

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I don't know, Wikipedia tells me that they were using the XM16E1 in Vietnam before they called it the M16A1...

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Just because something is deployed doesnt mean it works.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

I honestly can believe that a FoF HUD on a monocle isn't a "thing" yet. It seems so easy to implement, but I guess scaling it up and maintaining it would be difficult.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Polemides posted:

This is what you call a force multiplier. Multiply by zero when Soldado Garza here has a heat stroke 20 minutes into the patrol.

I bet they could easily incorporate a liquid cooling unit like they utilize when exploring the crystal caves.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

IDK it's not the first time they advertised actually valid weapons tech way before it became practical

Oh, no, that X is for Xtreme

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

cuntrageous posted:

Just because something is deployed doesnt mean it works.

I don't know, the army guys who've been assigned to it in the field all pretty like it. They gave it the nickname the "Punisher" after ending most their firefights with the Taliban a couple of rounds. If the airburst doesn't kill them, the proximity of it scares the poo poo out of them and they run away or at least stop shooting.

Of course, they're throwing away a $1000 on each shot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Throwing away? What, you don't think ending a firefight in a couple of rounds is worth a couple grand?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

Throwing away? What, you don't think ending a firefight in a couple of rounds is worth a couple grand?

No kidding. The less 5.56 they use, the more there is for us to buy. :v:

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

Well, I should choose my words more carefully. They're still experimental hand-made shells which cost $1000 each which, compared to other infantry small arms and their ammo, is expensive. Of course, with mass production, the dollar amount for those rounds will be something like $35 a piece.

emathey
May 18, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Well, I should choose my words more carefully. They're still experimental hand-made shells which cost $1000 each which, compared to other infantry small arms and their ammo, is expensive. Of course, with mass production, the dollar amount for those rounds will be something like $35 a piece.

Every service member killed in the AOR is automatically entitled to 400,000$ in SGLI for their benefactors. Any time someone is injured they're getting free hospital care, not to mention if they're medically retired or killed, you now have to recruit/train a new person. 1,000$ to end a fire fight is a phenomenal amount of money saved, if we could end every fire fight for 1,000$ we'd save a ton of money. One flying hour for a USAF fighter is something in the ball park of 20,000$, how often do you think we call in CAS in Afghanistan?

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

emathey posted:

Any time someone is injured they're getting free hospital care, not to mention if they're medically retired or killed, you now have to recruit/train a new person.

Don't forget that they tend to receive $50k-100k for amputations and prosthesis tend to run around $5k, and that's just for below the knee amputations with the basic model. In roughly 12 years a soldier who received $100k and 100% disability for giving a limb will cost as much as a dead soldier's SGLI and that's before even factoring in medical costs. Basically if the XM-25 fires 400 rounds and causes at least one soldier to not be killed or receive grievous injury the military is ahead in the numbers game.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

My project office builds the trainers for the XM-25 so I'm kind of an expert with one.

:cool:

Reforger
Apr 9, 2004

Master of Matebas

I call this setup "For teh lulz"

Karl_moebius
Mar 31, 2011

Reforger posted:

Maybe I'm strange in the head, but I don't really see a big problem with this. I prefer a regular looking stock, but if you're shooting deer with slugs then this looks pretty useful.

Reforger
Apr 9, 2004

Master of Matebas

I haven't looked at it from this perspective.

I hereby rename this setup to "Tactical-Deerslayer"

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Karl_moebius posted:

shooting deer with slugs

I always forget that people do this with shotguns

Chrieger
Sep 24, 2006

It is got toothpick!

Reforger posted:

I detect a lack of an underslung flare launcher :colbert:

Karl_moebius
Mar 31, 2011

dakana posted:

I always forget that people do this with shotguns

back during the ammo shortage of the first year of Obama, that's all my walmart had. Some were even coming back telling us how they loved the hell out of it (while getting more slugs). Of course, in Oklahoma, the deer are maybe 200 yards away at most because of the trees and brush.

To really tacticalol the crap out of that, replace the foregrip with one with railz, side saddle, light, laser, and flare launcher front, get a heat shield with more railz and scope (that has railz on it), eotech, magnifer, and backup iron sights (I think the acogs with smaller red dots on top of them are pretty tacticlol), side saddle, red dot, laser, flashlight, then a stock with a side saddle on that, and then some gun-nutz.

That would be pretty epic-ly tactilol.

Karl_moebius fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 11, 2011

Reforger
Apr 9, 2004

Master of Matebas

the apex of my personal Tactilolness was this

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Reforger posted:

the apex of my personal Tactilolness was this

If you're in the USA, a vertical grip on a handgun is an NFA violation. Just FYI.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

If you're in the USA, a vertical grip on a handgun is an NFA violation. Just FYI.

He's Swiss.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I like turtles posted:

He's Swiss.

Lucky bastard.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

He's not, but you could also just pay for an AOW stamp and then it's legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Idiotic question since I know these laws are meant to make no sense anyway, but, why is a foregrip illegal to add to a handgun? I mean, I understand why ban large magazines, for example. But in theory, how can a foregrip help your regular crazy multiple murderer (the type of person these laws are supposed to deter?) kill more, other than accuracy wise/using it with a full auto handgun? Is it forbidden just because it helps with accuracy, or is there more to it that I'm missing?