Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bah, I'm just a bit downsy tonight - I've been dealing with student loan poo poo.

The FR F-1 and FR F-2 are based on the MAS 36 action. I don't think they've done a sniper version of the MAS 49, which makes sense - most semi-auto rifles transition really, really poorly to the sniper role, especially rifles from that late 40s-early 60s generation. Look at all the less than amazing attempts to make sniper G/K43s, M1 Garands, M14s, and G3s (yes, the PSG-1 is a kind of sub-standard sniper rifle when compared to anything that's not semi-auto - hell, it's less accurate than most off the shelf rifles in the M16 family).

Didn't they have a sniper variant of the M1 Carbine? You'd think that a semi-auto chambered for an underpowered round wouldn't be the best choice for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WimpBastard
Feb 11, 2006

"sorry about my dick"

Yeah, but didn't that have an early night-vision scope on it for taking out dudes trying to sneak around at night? So it wasn't really dealing out long-range death or anything.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

Didn't they have a sniper variant of the M1 Carbine? You'd think that a semi-auto chambered for an underpowered round wouldn't be the best choice for it.

Depending on the specific application, it could work. Take this for instance:

The VSS Vintorez. It uses a 7.62x39 case that was necked up to accept a 9mm bullet. It's really only effective up to about 400m, but was apparently designed for urban warfare.

Or shady business transactions.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg

See also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Chantilly Say posted:

I remember seeing a picture of a sweet M1 carbine outfitted for night sniping. It had a huge first gen night vision scope and it owned

Dammit: Beaten

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bah, I'm just a bit downsy tonight - I've been dealing with student loan poo poo.

The FR F-1 and FR F-2 are based on the MAS 36 action. I don't think they've done a sniper version of the MAS 49, which makes sense - most semi-auto rifles transition really, really poorly to the sniper role, especially rifles from that late 40s-early 60s generation. Look at all the less than amazing attempts to make sniper G/K43s, M1 Garands, M14s, and G3s (yes, the PSG-1 is a kind of sub-standard sniper rifle when compared to anything that's not semi-auto - hell, it's less accurate than most off the shelf rifles in the M16 family).

A well built standard G3 with good ammo should be sub MOA, right? I don't know how much more accurate you need to be under most conditions where you need the quick follow up shots of a semi. I don't think it's fair to call any G3 variant a true sniper rifle but they fill the position of a DMR and they do it well.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

BaronW posted:

See also:

Also this:

Click here for the full 800x341 image.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Chantilly Say posted:

Didn't they have a sniper variant of the M1 Carbine?

amateur economist posted:

I remember seeing a picture of a sweet M1 carbine outfitted for night sniping.

WimpBastard posted:

Yeah, but didn't that have an early night-vision scope on it for taking out dudes trying to sneak around at night? So it wasn't really dealing out long-range death or anything.
The woman with the penis is correct - The M3 Carbine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

cat with hands posted:

A well built standard G3 with good ammo should be sub MOA, right? I don't know how much more accurate you need to be under most conditions where you need the quick follow up shots of a semi. I don't think it's fair to call any G3 variant a true sniper rifle but they fill the position of a DMR and they do it well.

Nope. 2-3 MOA, normally. That's why PSG-1s have hand picked receivers and specially made barrels. They also have strips of steel welded on the sides of the receivers to keep it more rigid. They only guarantee 1 MOA on those. No way in hell you're getting a sub-MOA G3.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

George Zimmer posted:

Depending on the specific application, it could work. Take this for instance:

The VSS Vintorez. It uses a 7.62x39 case that was necked up to accept a 9mm bullet. It's really only effective up to about 400m, but was apparently designed for urban warfare.

Or shady business transactions.

How easy would it be to make a vintorez clone complete with fake silencer?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

WimpBastard posted:

Basically this. They were for making 100-200 yard kills of people infiltrating perimeters and loving up enemy advanced positions at night. An obscene percentage of the early kills on Iwo Jima were made with m1 carbines outfitted like this. That percentage is even crazier when you realize that the number of guns outfitted as such was TINY.

Basically they fill the same role that you could do with any CMP carbine with one of those railed forarms dropped on it and a cheap 4x scope. Hell, I don't even think they used special ammo or a special barrel or anything.

The Automator posted:

Nope. 2-3 MOA, normally. That's why PSG-1s have hand picked receivers and specially made barrels. They also have strips of steel welded on the sides of the receivers to keep it more rigid. They only guarantee 1 MOA on those. No way in hell you're getting a sub-MOA G3.

Yeah, this is basically the problem that ALL those designs I listed have. Basically all of the insane HK engineering in the world gave accuracy about equal to what most commercial bolt actions will do off the shelf with quality ammo. The M1 Garand sniper rifles ALWAYS underperformed when stacked up next to the 1903s and the German military went through fits trying to turn the G/K43 into one, only to get frustrated and scrap the whole idea.

The problem is that there was no conception of a medium range DM at that time. It was either "short range poo poo for the MGs and SMGs" (under 50 meters) "medium range poo poo for the guys with riles" (50-300 yards, at least) and "long range poo poo for the guys with scopes (600+ yards) or medium-long range point target work (300-600 yards against the rear end in a top hat manning that machine gun that needs to be gone yesterday)."

Interestingly enough the Germans did start toying with the idea of DMs when they realized that the G41 and G/K43 were such poo poo sniper platforms, and there's considerable evidence that unit armorers independently came up with the idea, simply issuing scopes to guys that were known to be good shots for the sort of work a DM does.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

BrainGlitch posted:

How easy would it be to make a vintorez clone complete with fake silencer?

Fairly difficult. You'd have to have the receiver completely custom made, as it's not based on an AK receiver of any type or any other widely available receiver type. The weapon was designed to shoot with the silencer on all the time and wasn't supposed to be shot without it (There is some sort of way you can take it off). The stock probably wouldn't be too hard, IIRC it's simply a rounded SVD stock. Magazines would have to be custom made or bought from shady people on Russian websites that sell gun parts and mailorder brides. The scope's a PSO-1, pretty sure it can be found without too much trouble. You'd have to handload the ammo. That part shouldn't be too hard since it uses 7.62x39 brass, but good luck finding reloading data.

I'd cry tears of joy if someone started cranking out repro Vins though. Such a purdy gun.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins

Pillbug

Wired has an article with some advances in gun technology, some of which is legitimately cool, but there are a couple that qualify for this thread.

For the thirsty sniper:

Husqvarna is trying to merge its product lines:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Antifreeze Head posted:

God drat that would make yard work AWESOME.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Antifreeze Head posted:

this gun is awesome and we all know it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Every time I see it my brain starts trying to figure out what video game it's from.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It better have a pull starter on it somewhere!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Part of me wants to replace the M203 with a flamethrower.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins

Pillbug

Antifreeze Head posted:

Quoting myself since I found a video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2H2peoX174

Viehfutter
Mar 31, 2008

Call me meow for your free readin'!

GET IT?

This stuff is still cool, even though it's been posted before.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Knights is beginning to take notes from automobile design: you can easily recognize any of their products from a distance by the golf ball motif.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Away Message posted:

Really? I think they look pretty good. But the MAS 49 conversion is so very appropriate for this thread.

The McCann Industries MAS 49-56 Receiver Conversion turns what many believe to be one of the ugliest battle rifles ever produced, into a firearm of beauty and functionality.

anyone who thinks the MAS49 and/or 49-56 is ugly should be shot in the loving knees and left in a komodo dragon pen.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Gtab posted:

anyone who thinks the MAS49 and/or 49-56 is ugly should be shot in the loving knees and left in a komodo dragon pen.

I'm Detective Thompson and I approve of this message.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Gtab posted:

Thank you. I couldn't understand why anyone called it ugly, it barely looks any different than something like a jungle carbine.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Gtab posted:

I'm surprised someone else shares this opinion.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think that MAS49 looks pretty badass too. I'm against removing wood furniture on a battle rifle in any case!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

That is a fine looking rifle and whoever thought tarting it up like an AR would improve the looks is an idiot.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Gtab posted:

for some reason I pictured a guy in a kimono with bloody knees in a pit with this dragon (from the post retarded dragons thread)

I have been working for the past 12 hours on little sleep :(

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Gtab posted:

<3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

I can't find any ammo for it :(

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

The AR has superior ergonomics to every other rifle ever and all rifles are fighting rifles, so if your rifle isn't like an AR and you get into a gunfight with it, YOU WILL DIE.

Q.E.D.

In forty years, the attempts to make other rifles conform to AR ergonomics will be looked at with the disgust and contempt which we currently reserve for sporterization.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Fang posted:

The AR has superior ergonomics to every other rifle ever and all rifles are fighting rifles, so if your rifle isn't like an AR and you get into a gunfight with it, YOU WILL DIE.

Q.E.D.

In forty years, the attempts to make other rifles conform to AR ergonomics will be looked at with the disgust and contempt which we currently reserve for sporterization.

You are wrong it will not be in 40 years it will be now and always

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

i still think sporterized milsurp rifles are cool:colbert:

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out

Fang posted:

Q.E.D.

qft, Fang is my favorite poster

Nine Lives fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 17, 2009

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Ron Mexico posted:

i still think sporterized milsurp rifles are cool:colbert:

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Action Jesus posted:

that's awesome what's your point

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

What is that under all that? A Mosin?

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Ron Mexico posted:

that's awesome what's your point

I don't have a point to make

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

chairface posted:

What is that under all that? A Mosin?

Yep, which is what makes it all the funnier.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Man, there has to be a night shot of that thing's fireball somewhere. I want to see the recoil break the stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

That's why he has the muzzle brake on it. :v: