Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Domini Cane posted:

We've been making fun of scoped carbines all thread long. Why is this one different?

Because it's not a Mosin SBR or a SKS or a carry handle-mounted 24x on an AR15 or a .22LR with a 40x. It's a medium magnification on a gun that can easily hit out to 100-150y, works fine, was mounted correctly, and isn't bubba-ed. Simply put, that gun is actually pretty practical, especially for range fun.

Also because I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dw33b
Apr 9, 2001

If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself.

Domini Cane posted:

We've been making fun of scoped carbines all thread long. Why is this one different?

It's best not to feed the Gtab when he starts ranting about M1s. It's like throwing woodchips into a fire. Best to spray him down with coconut oil and watch him give himself a sensual massage to some Yanni.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

dw33b posted:

It's best not to feed the Gtab when he starts ranting about M1s. It's like throwing woodchips into a fire. Best to spray him down with coconut oil and watch him give himself a sensual massage to some Yanni.

Spring time means Kenny G.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Domini Cane posted:

Gtab likes it, that's what's different. Also, the M3 scope was to provide night vision, a function the iron sights don't. The US military didn't see fit to put a scope on an M1 Carbine purely as an aid to aiming.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Fang posted:

Gtab likes it, that's what's different. Also, the M3 scope was to provide night vision, a function the iron sights don't. The US military didn't see fit to put a scope on an M1 Carbine purely as an aid to aiming.

Most T3s were not given provision for rear sight (and thus had no conventional sights, requiring aiming with the scope). The scope series, beginning with T120 and moving on from there, grew in magnification as time went on. The position of the scope required exclusive use of the crosshairs in the active NV scope. The US used it specifically as an infiltration interdiction weapon since the M1C and M1D handled proper ranged scoped sharpshooting. This means the US put it on the rifle specifically for sharpshooting and improving aiming capabilities. They specifically did so at night, but that doesn't deny the fact that they had confidence in the platform as a lightweight sniping platform within (initially) 135y and (at the end of it's life) out to 150y.

Thanks for playing, though. I also beat you to the "I like it," joke.

----------------

Gtab fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 16, 2008

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

When I first saw this gun I knew it was destined for this thread. It is from a gunbroker ad. Usually stuff like this gets skipped over in the listing by people looking for a "Romanian AK47" because it is so common to see rifles like this with $50 worth of crap selling for $150 more than the rifle you are looking for.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=102222259

But close inspection indicates that scope might be a night vision scope?

The fact that he lists it the way he does makes him seem clueless.

quote:

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A ROMANIAN AK47 WITH A BIG LONG MAG, BIPOD AND SOME TYPE OF
BATTERY CHARGED SCOPE, DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SCOPE BUT WILL RESEARCH AND POST
ANY INFO I CAN FIND
, ACTUAL PICTURES OF RIFLE AND WHAT COMES WITH IT.
HIGH BIDDER PAYS SHIPPING AND INSURANCE. PRICING IS FOR CASH PRICE.

My emphasis in bold not his.

If it is a night vision scope, even at $300-450 for the scope and the going rate for Romy AK's like this one being ~$400 it becomes the deal of the "century".

I have already checked Kalinka, Opticsplanet, and Binocularsmart looking for this scope.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

B4Ctom1 posted:

When I first saw this gun I knew it was destined for this thread. It is from a gunbroker ad. Usually stuff like this gets skipped over in the listing by people looking for a "Romanian AK47" because it is so common to see rifles like this with $50 worth of crap selling for $150 more than the rifle you are looking for.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=102222259

But close inspection indicates that scope might be a night vision scope?

The fact that he lists it the way he does makes him seem clueless.

My emphasis in bold not his.

If it is a night vision scope, even at $300-450 for the scope and the going rate for Romy AK's like this one being ~$400 it becomes the deal of the "century".

I have already checked Kalinka, Opticsplanet, and Binocularsmart looking for this scope.

Its not a PSO-1 or 1P29. The mount is an older style one, similar to the 1P29 from the sixties, its not an early Russian night vision optic though, they look very different, in fact that layout makes me doubt it being Russian at all.

Edit:Looks like you may have a steal on your hands, I asked my Soviet expert former tank commander buddy and he said its a PKS-07 optic, same as used on SV-98, and VSK-94 rifles, its collimater type optic with 7x zoom. Izhmash makes it and it just came out in 2002.

Pretty Little Rainbow fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 16, 2008

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Edit:Looks like you may have a steal on your hands, I asked my Soviet expert former tank commander buddy and he said its a PKS-07 optic, same as used on SV-98, and VSK-94 rifles, its collimater type optic with 7x zoom. Izhmash makes it and it just came out in 2002.

Wow those are like the two newest sniper rifles.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

B4Ctom1 posted:

Wow those are like the two newest sniper rifles.

You should lowball that retard on gunbroker and get yourself a sweet optic/parts rifle!

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Gtab posted:

Most T3s were not given provision for rear sight (and thus had no conventional sights, requiring aiming with the scope). The scope series, beginning with T120 and moving on from there, grew in magnification as time went on. The position of the scope required exclusive use of the crosshairs in the active NV scope. The US used it specifically as an infiltration interdiction weapon since the M1C and M1D handled proper ranged scoped sharpshooting. This means the US put it on the rifle specifically for sharpshooting and improving aiming capabilities. They specifically did so at night, but that doesn't deny the fact that they had confidence in the platform as a lightweight sniping platform within (initially) 135y and (at the end of it's life) out to 150y.

Thanks for playing, though. I also beat you to the "I like it," joke.

Interesting. I had only heard about scoping the M1 in the context of night vision. Weren't only a couple hundred scoped carbines issued, though?

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Fat Ogre posted:

All this talk about the 10-2/249 (which I think is awesome) got me curious about something somewhat unrelated. In CA, (I'm still not clear on the laws out here) does the 10 round magazine limit extend in any way to belt fed weapons? The law states as far as I remember prohibiting "a magazine capable of accepting more than ten rounds". Is a belt considered a magazine? And if so is it a no no because it has a theoretically infinite "capacity"? Were there any sort of restrictions on belts before the sunset of the AWB? I ask because the hilarity of showing up to a bay area range with a belt fed one of these fuckers if legal would justify the purchase in my eyes.

King Carnivore
Dec 16, 2007

VAT?!? Do you not like the new look?

James Woods posted:

In CA, (I'm still not clear on the laws out here) does the 10 round magazine limit extend in any way to belt fed weapons?

Dictionary.com posted:

A compartment in some types of firearms, often a small detachable box, in which cartridges are held to be fed into the firing chamber.

Belts don't count. They, by definition, are not a magazine.

Mind you, this isn't just speculation. I know this because TNW Firearms legally and regularly sell their semiauto M1919s and MG42s to Californians.

Maybe you can only have ten rounds linked at a time

Making a 10/22 belt would probably be the hardest part of the whole affair.

King Carnivore fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 16, 2008

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

John Stercus posted:

Making a 10/22 belt would probably be the hardest part of the whole affair.
Lakeside Machine sells a kit to make an AR-15 a belt-fed .22LR

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

This man speaks the truth

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

John Stercus posted:

Belts don't count. They, by definition, are not a magazine.

Mind you, this isn't just speculation. I know this because TNW Firearms legally and regularly sell their semiauto M1919s and MG42s to Californians.

California Firearms Law Booklet, 2007 posted:

A large capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds, a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or a .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. (Penal Code 12020(c)(25).)

It is my recollection that belts are considered ammunition feeding devices, but I cannot find a citation for that at the moment, sorry.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.

Less Jibba Jabba and more Tacticlol!

Using the S&J Hardware stock adapter.

Truth be told I love the way that gun looks. It is the meanest looking pump gun I've ever seen besides some of the old school trench guns.

Still it is hilarious as the parts required to make it cost way more than the base gun itself.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

John Stercus posted:

That's the way the federal AWB was, and that's the way I've been told the CA DOJ interprets their ban.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Fang posted:

Interesting. I had only heard about scoping the M1 in the context of night vision. Weren't only a couple hundred scoped carbines issued, though?

Comparatively? Virtually nil. 811 initial WWII T3s were made (compared to over 6mil M1 platform rifles in general). Many more were made for Korea. 20000 scopesets were made, and it is believed many M1s were field modified given AARs indicating sappers being shot at night at ranges/using tactics consistent with T3s. There were 3000 "official" M3 (T3's official designation) produced, and estimates of upwards of 2000-3000 more "made."

It is important to note their impact. Though only 500 were field at Iwo Jima, they accounted for an estimated 30% of Japanese small arms casualties in the opening days and continued to wreak havoc on their forces throughout the seizure of that island.

Japanese, Koreans, and Vietnamese played similar tactics of night time infiltration. The T3/M3 was used in all three wars to solid effect.

Fun note: M3s are M2s with scope mounts. M2s are select-fire. Mwahaha.

----------------

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

James Woods posted:

In CA, (I'm still not clear on the laws out here) does the 10 round magazine limit extend in any way to belt fed weapons?

Yes, it does. A few posters here are correct: if you're going to use a belt-fed weapon in CA, you can't have more than 10 rounds linked at a time. A guy at my range was telling me about Browning 1918 builds.

Also, I'm completely with Gtab: Ultimak rail + M1 Carbine = Awesome. Not the best picture, but it's functional and not too ricey for me.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg

hangedman posted:

Yes, it does. A few posters here are correct: if you're going to use a belt-fed weapon in CA, you can't have more than 10 rounds linked at a time. A guy at my range was telling me about Browning 1918 builds.

Not quite. A belt of >10 rounds works like a grandfathered magazine. You can have one, you just can't make one.

I don't know if you're allowed to re-link more after you shoot the belt to < 10.

edit: You know what, I'm not even really that sure about it. I think I'm just remembering calguns speculation, not solid legal information.

BaronW fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 17, 2008

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Some retard/genius over at THR bolted two Remington 870's together to make a Remington "1740".

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Thats so loving cool i don't even know where to begin. I can only imagine recoil with that shooting slugs out of each.

King Carnivore
Dec 16, 2007

There aren't enough words in the english language to describe the orgasm I just experienced. That is beautiful and I want it, but with two Saigas bolted together.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Eh. This could've been great, but I'm not impressed. The two guns don't even have similar parts, it's almost impossible to use both triggers with anything like a normal grip...

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

I am in loving AWE.

----------------

King Carnivore
Dec 16, 2007

Pitch posted:

it's almost impossible to use both triggers with anything like a normal grip...

Now see what ya do is ya stick a stick into the triggerguard here, then you pull back on it and hold the gently caress on.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

John Stercus posted:

There aren't enough words in the english language to describe the orgasm I just experienced. That is beautiful and I want it, but with two Saigas bolted together.

It would be sort of difficult, as left-ejecting Saigas are non-existent.

King Carnivore
Dec 16, 2007

Craptacular posted:

It would be sort of difficult, as left-ejecting Saigas are non-existent.

Mount one upside down.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

John Stercus posted:

Mount one upside down.

Tromix did it with AR15s do I KNOW Tony'd do it with Saigas. Good luck, brave genius.

----------------

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

oic

Sgt. Shaved Balls fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 17, 2008

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I also hate to be a wet blanket about it (I just closed Doom II, in fact), but it looks like he's rigging the things up to one trigger. If so, isn't one of the basic BATFE definitions of a machinegun that two or more rounds are expended for every one pull of the trigger?

This is of course assuming that he's building the thing to fire two rounds with one trigger pull, and if he isn't, why is he loving bothering?

edit: nevermind. The dude apparently does have two triggers on there.

hangedman fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 17, 2008

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

hangedman posted:

If so, isn't one of the basic BATFE definitions of a machinegun that two or more rounds are expended for every one pull of the trigger?
Yes. In fact one of their representatives specifically said a double-barrel is a machine gun if both barrels fire with one trigger pull.

King Carnivore
Dec 16, 2007

hangedman posted:

I also hate to be a wet blanket about it (I just closed Doom II, in fact), but it looks like he's rigging the things up to one trigger. If so, isn't one of the basic BATFE definitions of a machinegun that two or more rounds are expended for every one pull of the trigger?

This is of course assuming that he's building the thing to fire two rounds with one trigger pull, and if he isn't, why is he loving bothering?

It doesn't count if the action is manually operated. If this were illegal, double barrels with separate triggers would also be.

This is kind of related: http://gatlingguns.com/atf.htm

Pitch posted:

Yes. In fact one of their representatives specifically said a double-barrel is a machine gun if both barrels fire with one trigger pull.

[citation needed] When, where?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Gtab posted:

Tromix did it with AR15s do I KNOW Tony'd do it with Saigas. Good luck, brave genius.

Man I'm surprised that it took six pages before someone mentioned that.

I don't think it would be as easy to make a siamese Saiga though, because gas tubes don't have to be straight but gas pistons do.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Every time a shotgun is shown on "The Simpsons" it is a double barreled pump.

Headcase Fargone
Sep 24, 2007
Swimming in a world of creeps

So I'm looking at this image, dumbstruck like the rest of you, when my girlfriend (I refuse to do the bold italics silliness) looks over my shoulder and asks what in god's name is this? I reply that it appears to be two shotguns anchored to one another. She immediately asks, and I quote: "God, is he from Texas or something?"

And then sure enough, a moment later I notice what appears to be a Texas license plate behind his leg. Awesome.

devilsbite
Apr 29, 2005

9mm

Not what I would consider tacticlol, but seeing as we're on a "two guns in one" trip I present the AK Gatlin.

Lono was taken
Aug 26, 2006

This is Detective Faggot Mulder, they want to shut down the Ass Files.

Why the gently caress are the bayonets mounted on there

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lono was taken posted:

Why the gently caress are the bayonets mounted on there

More importantly, why the gently caress is it white, and on the pussiest piece of poo poo "tripod" ever made? That poo poo looks like it's cobbled together out of a 2x4 and some erector set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Way the hell back in the mists of time (like, 1980-something), there was a short article in SOLDIER OF FORTUNE regarding a dual-mount semiauto shotgun monstrosity. (Can't remember if it was a pair of 12-gauge 1100s or 10-gauge something else.) Fiberglas? stock, one left- and one right-ejecting shotgun, fancy trigger-pack to fire alternate sides... and if I recall aright, it weighed more than a full-dress M-60. Pics showed a highway/state-patrol type, Smokey the Bear hat and all, and I *vaguely* recall it was being pimped to someplace in the midwest.

Tacti-"gently caress, Dave, you just vapourised a truck!"