Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

BrainGlitch posted:

I hope next time you don't pose for your camera like that because it's kind of creepy. This is worse than that thread with the animu navy kid.

No it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

Not much is worse than that navy guy.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Can someone tell those of us (me) who are uninformed about the Navy Guy?

E:VVV That was fast.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3187021

Navy guy.

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Here's just a sample!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

RU 187 261 LIB posted:

Here's just a sample!

I closed the thread and backed away slowly when I saw that pic. Are you allowed to keep your uniform(s) after leaving the service? I seem to recall there were some rules about that in Canada anyway. And you're definitely not allowed to wear them to play dress-up.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

priznat posted:

Are you allowed to keep your uniform(s) after leaving the service?
If you get out after your first four years, you're still technically in the reserves for another four years and can be called back to active duty (though you don't have to do the periodic weekend duty), so you do have to keep your uniforms.

Dress-up is entirely optional; cutting the rear end out of your dress blues is frowned upon.

Viehfutter
Mar 31, 2008

Call me meow for your free readin'!

GET IT?

You can keep your uniform, though most of the people I know sold them to surplus shops. You don't need them anymore, so free cash.

Uncle Caveman posted:

If you get out after your first four years, you're still technically in the reserves for another four years and can be called back to active duty (though you don't have to do the periodic weekend duty), so you do have to keep your uniforms.

Just about everyone I know who came back from IRR had gotten rid of their uniforms, so they just got more issued to them. No one gave them poo poo about it. v:geno:v

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

priznat posted:

I closed the thread and backed away slowly when I saw that pic. Are you allowed to keep your uniform(s) after leaving the service? I seem to recall there were some rules about that in Canada anyway. And you're definitely not allowed to wear them to play dress-up.

I don't know anything about allowed but to me it just looks like kind of a disgrace.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

RU 187 261 LIB posted:

I don't know anything about allowed but to me it just looks like kind of a disgrace.

A disgrace is someone that never served buying a full dress uniform and walking around a mall, fishing for compliments and thank you for your services.

If someone served and wants to hold onto/throw on their old uniform on Veteran's day or something, that's hardly a disgrace. I say they earned it.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Viehfutter posted:

Just about everyone I know who came back from IRR had gotten rid of their uniforms, so they just got more issued to them. No one gave them poo poo about it. v:geno:v
Good point, I was referring to the fact that you have to leave active duty with your uniforms.

Did the Army do a lot of IRR callbacks for OEF/OIF? Thankfully the Navy had enough IT dorks on hand that they didn't need me.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Uncle Caveman posted:

Good point, I was referring to the fact that you have to leave active duty with your uniforms.

Did the Army do a lot of IRR callbacks for OEF/OIF? Thankfully the Navy had enough IT dorks on hand that they didn't need me.

They've called back about half of the guys from my company that got out after our last tour, not sure if it's that bad Army wide or just that they need infantryman really bad.

Viehfutter
Mar 31, 2008

Call me meow for your free readin'!

GET IT?

Uncle Caveman posted:

I only have anecdotal evidence. Despite not even being in the IRR, I got screened for callback due to clerical errors (surprise, surprise!), and my old gunner got called back before I even left active. He was... less than pleased.

/\/\/\/\
Edit: Yeah, I imagine that combat arms and EOD are in the highest demand.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Uncle Caveman posted:

If you were involved with UAVs or MI in any way during your service with the Army, expect to be called back. Or just get stuck in active for 9 years, eliminating any further commitment.

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

Detective Thompson posted:

A disgrace is someone that never served buying a full dress uniform and walking around a mall, fishing for compliments and thank you for your services.

If someone served and wants to hold onto/throw on their old uniform on Veteran's day or something, that's hardly a disgrace. I say they earned it.

That's true I guess he's just a nerd with wallscrolls!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

The obsessive nerdchild demographic has considerably higher representation in the USN vs. the other branches, this is true.

I suppose the historical proximity to Asian cultures has something to do with it; many a pale young man has traveled East with dreams of winning the affections of a flower of the orient and ultimately settling for an overweight Filipino woman.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

Uncle Caveman posted:

The obsessive nerdchild demographic has considerably higher representation in the USN vs. the other branches, this is true.

I suppose the historical proximity to Asian cultures has something to do with it; many a pale young man has traveled East with dreams of winning the affections of a flower of the orient and ultimately settling for an overweight Filipino woman.

ell em ay oh

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

RU 187 261 LIB posted:

That's true I guess he's just a nerd with wallscrolls!

Yes, this is the correct diagnosis. I actually stopped reading that thread pretty early when everyone was initially dumping on the guy, so I guess I missed the whole anime thing. I take back what I said about being ashamed of TFR making fun of the guy.

Asbestos
Jun 2, 2004

Uncle Caveman posted:

This is not a recent phenomenon. My highschool comp sci teacher joined the navy (I'm guessing he'd have enlisted early to mid 70s) just so he could go to japan and find the woman of his dreams. If they had wallscrolls back then I'm sure this guy would have had a couple.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Uncle Caveman posted:

I work with at least 6 people who have done this. Air Force. :downsgun:

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

Propagandalf posted:

I work with at least 6 people who have done this. Air Force. :downsgun:

My buddy's getting sent to Japan there but he's already got a Canadian girlfriend.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

RU 187 261 LIB posted:

My buddy's getting sent to Japan there but he's already got a Canadian girlfriend.

Tell your friend to keep his dick out of our gene pool.

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

DrakeriderCa posted:

Tell your friend to keep his dick out of our gene pool.

In the States the "Canadian girlfriend" is maybe THE most famous unconvincing lie so we were all just amazed to see whe was real.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RU 187 261 LIB posted:

In the States the "Canadian girlfriend" is maybe THE most famous unconvincing lie so we were all just amazed to see whe was real.

Please tell me she is from the "Niagara Falls Area".

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

RU 187 261 LIB posted:

I've never heard anyone here claim they had a Canadian girlfriend. Well, that's not entirely true, as one of my friends did have a Canadian girlfriend for awhile, but he was originally from Canada, so I don't think that counts.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

I had an 'American girlfriend' when I was 'in the closet'.

Thanks for the link to that navy guy thread, I read the OP, didn't realize how awesome/stupid it got.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

I've never heard anyone here claim they had a Canadian girlfriend. Well, that's not entirely true, as one of my friends did have a Canadian girlfriend for awhile, but he was originally from Canada, so I don't think that counts.

I think the whole thing got started by "The Breakfast Club". The nerdy guy said that he had a girlfriend, and when called out on it he said she was from the Niagara Falls area and that no one would know her. It has been a pretty well known joke from that point on.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Skyssx posted:

If you were involved with UAVs or MI in any way during your service with the Army, expect to be called back. Or just get stuck in active for 9 years, eliminating any further commitment.

I know it's just more anecdotal evidence, but I was a 96D (now known as 35G) who finished active at the end of 2003 and finished IRR at the end of 2007. I was very much involved with UAVs during both operations and the only mail I ever got from the Army was a letter saying "hey why not come back as active reserves it's not like we'd deploy your rear end before the ink is dry lol" every two months.

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Just need to mount the guns on the car....

The Automator posted:

Ugh.

Taking stupid pictures of yourself won't make people like you more.

Quit being an rear end in a top hat, don't see you trying to make us laugh at all.

You guys are off topic again, tactik31 to the rescue!

TheStig fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 6, 2009

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Holy crap; almost looks like he was going for a Chauchat kind of thing there.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

TheStig posted:

Quit being an rear end in a top hat, don't see you trying to make us laugh at all.

When I am king, we won't have many gun laws.

But that will definitely be against at least one of them.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Gooch181 posted:

When I am king, we won't have many gun laws.

But that will definitely be against at least one of them.

How do you even shoot that thing? The pistol grip is at a just plain bizarre angle. Much like the super-shorty AR with the foregrip and beta-c mag earlier, before I even start hating on the black plastic and why-did-they-ruin-a-perfectly-good-gun or anything; how do you even use this abomination they've assembled?

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Just need to mount the guns on the car....

chairface posted:

How do you even shoot that thing? The pistol grip is at a just plain bizarre angle. Much like the super-shorty AR with the foregrip and beta-c mag earlier, before I even start hating on the black plastic and why-did-they-ruin-a-perfectly-good-gun or anything; how do you even use this abomination they've assembled?

It is weird, it actually has forward angle somehow.

Reforger
Apr 9, 2004

Master of Matebas

I don't think that the stock is plastic.............

Scottish_Loser
Aug 3, 2007
3/4 Scottish 1/4 Loser(..errr Swedish)

Reforger posted:

Ditto. That looks like an original stock that was cut-out and painted.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Reforger posted:

:aaa:

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

TheStig posted:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Scottish_Loser posted:

Ditto. That looks like an original stock that was cut-out and painted.

Good eye, but that's actually worse, then. :(

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

Capn Beeb posted:

every time you use this gif i smile and a new messiah is born

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

TheStig posted:

Ewwwwwww.

Well, at least mine just got a little more valuable.

Christ though, you have to wonder about the thought process that leads to that. Most of that I can kind of sort of wrap my mind around, but that pistol grip doesn't even make sense from an ergonomic standpoint.

Also, routed out wooden stocks like that are notoriously fragile. I'm guessing it won't last long under the recoil from the rifle.