Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Pitch posted:

I think the real crowning point of the stupidity is to then go on a crusade to the internet to let everyone know what a defective product FN makes, making repeated references to the fact that you could not possibly have been firing bad ammunition; then have FN send you a brand-new gun to shut you up and also publish a public notice that the round that killed yours was so overcharged that they found most of the primer inside the firing pin channel.

Who exactly did this happen to? Was it somebody from TFR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Delta-Wye posted:

If you were so sure that the FN pistol is defective enough to go KB and gently caress your hand, why would you even want another one? At any rate, if it were to happen again, I would think an AR upper receiver would not be as disastrous on a double load - seems like there is a bit more material around the receiver.

I've always thought AR-57s are pretty cool. I don't really care for the ammo, but using a P90 mag and ejecting through the magwell seems cool to me.

They are fun, but pointlessly heavy. They need to make a lightweight version before I could really recommend buying one.

Tmavomodry
Jun 2, 2008

Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

No. The original thread was on fivesevenforum.net but it's been removed. Here's another forum that more or less replicates it

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=134212

And here's the aftermath:

http://consumerist.com/tag/Five_seveN/?i=5022572&t=fnh-gun-blew-up-in-owners-hand-because-he-used-reloaded-ammo

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

It was this guy:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=362563

The post is long and ranty, but the guy basically blames the gun, because he thinks it fired out of battery. It turned out in the thread that his completely safe, not possibly doublecharged reloads were very hot, not professionally tested, and, of course, doublecharged on top of all that. To his credit, after FN sent him a brand new gun and replicated the failure by doubling his reload data, he admitted fault.

It's also rather amusing to see all the THR posters, normally among the first to bitch about warning labels and how they're so terribly unnecessary, talking about how he should totally sue FN for not providing enough warning about using reloaded ammunition.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

FN makes ammo that doesn't work well when you fill it with twice as much powder as it was designed to hold? Those bastards!:arghfist::downswords:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

All the times "AR-57" has shown up has got me thinking of a 5.7mm AR-7... or at least a .17 HMR or HM2 version.

Oooh! Screw all the "out of battery" problems - Henry 5.7 lever-action!

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

All the times "AR-57" has shown up has got me thinking of a 5.7mm AR-7... or at least a .17 HMR or HM2 version.

You know, that sounds pretty cool. I wonder if we can get the Air Force to buy them again if that happened.

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

Posted this in the photothread but then remembered this thread.

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Pitch posted:

Reloading anything is a good way to lose a hand if you're dumb as poo poo; and the guy you're thinking of was.

It's that, but also, someone pointed out in the thread about that incident that there is basically little/no information on loading the cartridge.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Space Gopher posted:

It was this guy:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=362563

The post is long and ranty, but the guy basically blames the gun, because he thinks it fired out of battery. It turned out in the thread that his completely safe, not possibly doublecharged reloads were very hot, not professionally tested, and, of course, doublecharged on top of all that. To his credit, after FN sent him a brand new gun and replicated the failure by doubling his reload data, he admitted fault.

It's also rather amusing to see all the THR posters, normally among the first to bitch about warning labels and how they're so terribly unnecessary, talking about how he should totally sue FN for not providing enough warning about using reloaded ammunition.

My favorite part is in the letter FN posted there's a section (paraphrased) that basically states: "On page X of the manual we tell you not to use reloads in this gun. If you lost your manual and need a new manual, we'll be happy to send you one."

:iceburn:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Smiling Jack posted:

My favorite part is in the letter FN posted there's a section (paraphrased) that basically states: "On page X of the manual we tell you not to use reloads in this gun. If you lost your manual and need a new manual, we'll be happy to send you one."

:iceburn:

:golfclap: That is the most passive aggressive way of saying your user is a dumbfuck ever.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

RU 187 261 LIB posted:

Posted this in the photothread but then remembered this thread.

I unironically want this, but I'd replace the skull with an eight ball, I think.

EndofGoogle
Nov 22, 2004
page 20 of 100

Not sure if I like or hate this.

Would this work out well with the right free-float rail or would the cheekweld be weird.

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Just need to mount the guns on the car....

EndofGoogle posted:

Would this work out well with the right free-float rail or would the cheekweld be weird.

Meh, not a G36 and they need to accept that.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TheStig posted:

Meh, not a G36 and they need to accept that.

M4g36ry? What do you even call that?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Should have just modded an SL8 and not half assed it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I really like that stock. The g36 top half not so much.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

EndofGoogle posted:

Take that abomination off the top rail and that is a pretty nice gun.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

EndofGoogle posted:

Honestly, having shot a Bundeswehr G36, those sights kinda suck. Since it's one stacked on the other, you either have to scrunch your face on the buttstock, or have horrible chin weld for either one. It's a neat concept, but using an acog is just so much easier.

Also, on another note about the G36, I hate the charging handle that moves back and forth on the top of the gun while your shooting. I keep fearing my thumb on the weak hand is going to wander up there and get caught. It's preposterous I know, but it was always there in the back of my head. Also... MG3's kick rear end.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

djdanno13 posted:

Honestly, having shot a Bundeswehr G36, those sights kinda suck. Since it's one stacked on the other, you either have to scrunch your face on the buttstock, or have horrible chin weld for either one. It's a neat concept, but using an acog is just so much easier.

That's not the dual optic, dude.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

The Automator posted:

That's not the dual optic, dude.

I know, which is even more stupid. I bet that guy paid $600 for that red dot which is basically the same as this. http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=11

Edit: Looking at it again, it looks like the 3x magnified scope part instead of the red dot upper. Still ridiculous given all the better options out there instead of what I expect someone to price an OMG HK SCOPE.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 23, 2009

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

EndofGoogle posted:

You hate it. You hate it because it's the dumbest poo poo ever. Of all time.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Skyssx posted:

You hate it. You hate it because it's the dumbest poo poo ever. Of all time.

Agree with this.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

G36 sights are horrible.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

G36 SIGHTS KILL MY ENTIRE FAMILY AND poo poo THEIR CORPSES

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

AntiTank posted:

G36 sights are horrible.

gently caress off. The Trijicon ACOG with droptic mounted on the rear is awesome if you're willing to pay twice as much for what the G36 arrangement costs. The optic is made by Hensoldt, a subsidary of Zeiss, not H&K.

Mine has served me well for a couple of years now. Are there better systems? Yes. Am I going to run out and buy those? No.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Flanker posted:

gently caress off. The Trijicon ACOG with droptic mounted on the rear is awesome if you're willing to pay twice as much for what the G36 arrangement costs. The optic is made by Hensoldt, a subsidary of Zeiss, not H&K.

Mine has served me well for a couple of years now. Are there better systems? Yes. Am I going to run out and buy those? No.

The sights are loving fantastic on the rifle they were designed for. Shoe-horning them onto an AR is stupid, though.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

The Automator posted:

The sights are loving fantastic on the rifle they were designed for. Shoe-horning them onto an AR is stupid, though.

agreed

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

I fired a G36 to get my schuetzenschnur (german marksmanship badge) and I thought the sights were fine. I liked that the red dot was both battery and solar powered. I didn't think the stacked sights were bad at all.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

I want to build a SL8 into a G36 clone so bad but they are just so expensive. You guys talking about them is not helping.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Click here for the full 1484x1113 image.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

This advertisement is so silly I just wanted to show others and I am sure not putting it in the "deals" thread. While not specifically tactilol, it is definitely ridiculous enough to share. It comes from an email from midwest hunters outlet.

Usually their emails look like a cross between midway and natchez, so this is definitely a departure from the norm for them. Check out the prizes in the contest at the bottom, definitely a :psyduck: ad.

I think it is funny that the ad even comes with a neckbeard. I guess if you are hardcore enough to need it or the others they have, it points to this:
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/category/2670-Gothic_Tshirts.aspx

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

That's a pretty good zombie survival kit. V:shobon:V

Unless it's the PGO Mossberg shown, in which case it ruins the whole thing for me.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Meh, I substitute the Mossberg for a Benelli, and the machete for a katana in my kit.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Yeah, you need a blade that can cleanly go through a zombie and not get embedded in it's flesh. That's a pretty good way to lose it.

oh god what did i just post

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Promoted Pawn posted:

I don't know but it's probably bannable. :gb2gbs: lol

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Promoted Pawn posted:

Yeah, you need a blade that can cleanly go through a zombie and not get embedded in it's flesh. That's a pretty good way to lose it.

Haven't you played Onna-chanbara though? You have to clean the blood off your sword every so often or the blade sticks!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Haven't you played Onna-chanbara though? You have to clean the blood off your sword every so often or the blade sticks!

It's Onechanbara you stupid loving gaijin trash.

Edit: Wow, that comes off harsh as text, doesn't it

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 24, 2009

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

oddspelling posted:

Meh, I substitute the Mossberg for a Benelli, and the machete for a katana in my kit.
That's a classy spread. Are you proposing impressing them before you kill them? If that's the case, a single action army and a rapier come to mind. And a bowler hat, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

xopher.white posted:

That's a classy spread. Are you proposing impressing them before you kill them? If that's the case, a single action army and a rapier come to mind. And a bowler hat, of course.

The bowler hat really goes without saying.