Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slamhound posted:

American Horror Story has 9 loving seasons???

Jesus Christ!
thankfully they are all completely different so it doesn't matter (you can skip definitely skip Roanoke and maybe Cult)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
AHS usually has one or two great threads per season. It can also spin it's wheels like nobody's business. Yet somehow I found something to like in every season that made it worth it. Plus, casting Stevie Nicks as a literal witch just feels so right, so right.

That said, the first three episodes of Apocalypse can suck a goats cock.

The Americans is on my to watch radar because of this thread, but I still need to finish my rewatch of all three seasons of Ash vs. Evil Dead.

Last three binges before that: Doom Patrol S1 (better the second time), Adventure Time with my daughter (second tine through) and Venture Bros (third watchthrough).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Google Butt posted:

it was fine

I'm assuming the oof was because of the emotional gut punch.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Apparently I was the only person who liked Jupiter's Legacy.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It was great, but too much of a slow burn.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Major Isoor posted:

Also, my partner and I finally finished Stranger Things. I feel they definitely could've simply left off the bit at the end about Hopper in Russia and instead included a little epilogue with the Christmas party El and Mike were gonna have, and call it done. Hopefully they've got some good ideas for season four though, and that it makes for a decent grand finale. (Assuming they'll actually end it this time, instead of wringing more seasons out of it)

Well, they haven't had any good ideas since season 1,so I doubt it. The best decision they've made post season 1, and I mean the very best decision, was totally ignoring that stupid goddamned Chicago poo poo from season 2. That's it. Their best idea was to ignore another one of their ideas.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just burned through Raised by Wolves, really good, crazy ending, want more.

I need other stuff to watch, serialized drama highly preferred and probably something from the last few years because I feel like I've already watched everything else.

I'm on the verge of giving Jupter's Legacy a try but people aren't making it sound good.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

-Blackadder- posted:

I need other stuff to watch, serialized drama highly preferred and probably something from the last few years because I feel like I've already watched everything else.

I'm on the verge of giving Jupter's Legacy a try but people aren't making it sound good.

How about a really old one: the originals State of Play BBC miniseries. It's a journalism political thriller with Kelly MacDonald, James McAvoy and Bill Nighy. It's great!

Edit: Invincible before Jupiter's Legacy

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Trig Discipline posted:

Finished season 4 of The Magicians last night. Oof.

Just watched myself and yeah, I can see why this pissed folks off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watching She-Ra. This is the gayest cartoon I have ever seen and it's also really funny.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bowmore posted:

thankfully they are all completely different so it doesn't matter (you can skip definitely skip Roanoke and maybe Cult)

Cult is one of the best seasons and one of the very few with a decent ending

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CODChimera posted:

Cult is one of the best seasons and one of the very few with a decent ending

Yeah, Cult and Roanoke both have pretty decent endings.

The show's become better over the years, I won't lie. But I drifted a little in the most recent season, Camp. The spark just wasn't there. Same with The Politician, and Ratched, and a lot of his recent work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Creamerie.

For All Mankind.

The Nevers.

Why Women Kill.

The Godfather Of Harlem.

And I've been secretly enjoying Kung Fu a lot but ssshh don't tell anyone or they'll all laugh at me.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

SpeakSlow posted:

It was great, but too much of a slow burn.

I thought it was okay. The costuming and effects were terribly hokey (maybe that's what they were going for), but my real issue was that it took a terribly long time to get nowhere. The plot that occured in the past, in particular, seemed stretched way out to line up the climaxes. Some of that run time could have been justified as characterization if it hadn't failed (with the partial exception of the mother) to deliver depth or development.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I didn't hate it but at the glacial pace it was proceeding at, it would have needed like 10 seasons to get anywhere. The whole season felt like it was just set up, and since it's been cancelled, I don't really see any reason anyone should watch it now if they haven't already done so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wallet posted:

I thought it was okay. The costuming and effects were terribly hokey (maybe that's what they were going for), but my real issue was that it took a terribly long time to get nowhere. The plot that occured in the past, in particular, seemed stretched way out to line up the climaxes. Some of that run time could have been justified as characterization if it hadn't failed (with the partial exception of the mother) to deliver depth or development.

Almost the entire past setting was like three pages in the first issue of the original book. It should have been a prologue and then jump into modern day. There was a lot of potential here but they want their own cinematic universe and thought they could launch it from here.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Almost the entire past setting was like three pages in the first issue of the original book.
Unfortunately it really felt like it was that much material in the show too, except padded out to take half the runtime.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah I looked up the comics afterward and some screenwriter really hosed the show over by making the prologue and opening scene be the whole first season. Issue 3 of the comics looks pretty dope though. If only someone thought to adapt that for television.

Edit: shame that Josh Bechamel is no Sean Bean

mystes
May 31, 2006

It is possible that if they made made another season it could have been better, though. If nothing else, just not having the part set in the past taking up a third to a half of the runtime should have effectively improved the pacing of the show in the second if they made one.

However, there are so many super hero shows already that not being received well on release probably means the show would have been forgotten immediately anyway, so I don't blame them for not wanting to spend more money on a second season just in case it did better. (It may be a sign that Netflix is getting too trigger happy with cancellations though.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 7, 2021

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah I looked up the comics afterward and some screenwriter really hosed the show over by making the prologue and opening scene be the whole first season.

This poo poo drives me crazy. I hate it when shows feel like they're stretching for time right out of the gate / only finish setting up the actual premise of the show in the s1 finale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So much of the show was created to pad the season out. I'm not going to rewatch it but I'd wager less than 30 minutes is actually straight from the comic.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'm assuming the oof was because of the emotional gut punch.

Yeah, absolutely.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

By the end, I couldn't stop laughing at Ole' Crater Face. Never missed an opportunity to show that off. It was basically a main character.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
finished all the Monk episodes with Sharona. this show is so much better when the writers are kind.

the captain helping monk pop bubblewrap: funny and heartwarming
monk being forced to do something public with people who aren't aware of his condition and are getting annoyed: not funny and heartwarming

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I started watching Mythic Quest as my nighttime feel-good chill-out show, and it's been fun so far.

With Rob McElhenney in the cast I was afraid I'd only be able to see him as Mac from Always Sunny, but that has worked out because this show is basically "The Gang Develops an MMORPG".

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 10, 2021

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just got through the first season of Lodge 49 because all of the love it received here. I gotta say it’s such a wonderful show! I love all these characters. The show really does a great job of intermingling all of the main and secondary characters lives to create this fictional community which mirrors what the lodge represents. The surreal elements of the show are just the icing on the cake. It’s definitely the show I needed right now.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just marathoned Star Trek Voyager again using a bunch of best episodes lists to avoid the garbage. Didn't take very long, haha, and was actually pretty enjoyable.

Also I've been getting my Dad to binge watch a bunch of my favorite shows now that's he's completely retired and in his 70's. He's now getting close to the end of his most recent show The Americans. So far I've got him to marathon his way through:
Lost
Prison Break
Battlestar Galactica
Fringe
Justified
The Americans

He goes through them super quick with so much time on his hands and is having a great time since I'm only really recommending the cream of the crop of serialized dramas that I've seen.

Not sure what I'll give him next. I'm holding off on Breaking Bad and 24 for the big finish.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
With that list I'd also recommend

12 Monkeys(I hear he'd have the time of his life) and of course Continuum and Travelers as well
The Expanse
Warrior
The Knick

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

12 Monkeys(I hear he'd have the time of his life) and of course Continuum and Travelers as well
The Expanse
Warrior
The Knick

This and
Banshee
Black Sails
For All Mankind
Maybe even Stargate.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Go full time travel

12 monkeys
Continuum
Travellers

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Banshee is a sleeper, it really owns

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inspector 34 posted:

12 Monkeys(I hear he'd have the time of his life)

GOD drat IT

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Glad to see people get into Continuum, it's an underappreciated show with some very strong characters.

Next underappreciated 10's show: Black Sails.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 11, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Trig Discipline posted:

I'll spoiler this because I know there are other people in here currently watching it.

We're nearing the end of season 4 of The Magicians, still enjoying it. The musical episode really toed the line between being too goofy and just goofy enough, but in the end I felt like it stayed just the right side of it.

One episode that I felt was a little subpar was Penny's promotion episode. The show has been very good about having a diverse cast where women have strong, important roles (albeit almost all with the "sulky" personality trait turned up to 11), and that's loving awesome. Having a whole episode that mainly seems to exist to point out that they're doing a good job on this front to the audience seems both unnecessary and more than a little self-congratulatory. It just seemed heavy-handed and like they didn't fully trust the audience to notice something that's been completely apparent for the entire series. That said, it was still a fun episode.

The reason for that episode, (spoilers for end of season four): I think they were trying to establish that the show could go on without Quentin, and that he wasn't the main protagonist before he died. I disagree with that, because he is the character that links most of the cast together, and was usually the one driving the main plot forward. That episode made me suspect they were going to kill him off.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finished How I Met Your Mother and aside from the final season and specifically the final episodes I thought it was one of the best and most consistently funny modern comedies.

since the entire series is a flashback, it gave the writers massive leeway to jump forward or backward in time whenever they want, so they do lots of family-guy style cutaway jokes, but these include all the main characters and have context. over time the show became heavily reliant on in-jokes, each episode full of callbacks to previous jokes, characters, arcs, etc.

That may not sound good, but I thought it made the story seem a lot more real - my friend groups bring up old stories all the time, and not a lotta shows do that to such good effect.

the final 6 minutes of the show, though, I have an issue with. contrary to most people I think the decision to have the Mother pass away in between the events of the show and the framing story was genius. I think it could have been handled extremely well. But the decision in the broadcast ending to have Ted begin to rekindle things with Robin was a huge mistake, and I have to say if the show made any mistake over 9 seasons it was having Robin be a magical woman Ted and Barney couldn't help but fall in love with.

The DVD alternate ending where [spoiler]the story ends with Ted and Tracy at the Farhampton train station was too easy. the deleted scenes were better, but I still think having Tracy pass away in between Radnor-Ted and Saget-Ted was a really inspired writing decision, just poorly executed by leaning on magic Robin in the broadcast version.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 12, 2021

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm late but absolutely recommend 12 Monkeys. Still one of my favorite final seasons

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Thanks for the recs!

I might have him give 12 Monkeys another shot. It was one I suggested to him a few shows ago, but it didn't really hook him. I
wasn't really surprised since I only made it to around season 2 myself, it was the only show I gave him to watch that I hadn't seen all the way through. I heard it had an epic season 3 and 4 but I just haven't gotten around to getting back there.

By the way, I just talked to my Dad and asked him to rank the shows he's marathoned so far. Here's his ranking, with 1 being the one he likes the most, 6 the one he likes the least, etc.

1. Prison Break - "He's always thinkin, always got a plan".
2. Fringe - "The actress is good, like how she plays the other Olivia with a cool swagger."
3. The Americans - "Elizabeth is something else. She don't play."
4. Justified - "The guy don't mess around, he just drops 'em."
5. Battlestar Galactica - "Man Baltar was just laid up with all the ladies."
6. Lost - "Bunch of selfish people, lots of loose ends, ending was a let down."

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 12, 2021

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Open Source Idiom posted:

Next underappreciated 10's show: Black Sails.
Anyone who doesn't get enough Momoa after watching Dark Sails should check out Frontier. I'm not banking on it finishing strong, but it's definitely good period series filler.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Also See on AppleTV. Interesting premise where the whole world went blind from a global pandemic, then fast forward a few hundred years to the birth of the first children with sight. Mamoa plays Baba Voss, protector of the Alkenny tribe, and the kids’ adoptive father.

It has that epic Game of Thrones feel, with gorgeous scenery, a remarkable attention to detail, brutal combat, and multilayered antagonists. The season 2 trailer just dropped, with Dave Bautista joining the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Remy Marathe posted:

Anyone who doesn't get enough Momoa after watching Dark Sails should check out Frontier. I'm not banking on it finishing strong, but it's definitely good period series filler.

There will be no one who has got enough Jason Momoa after watching Black Sails. He's not in it!

Retrowave Joe posted:

Also See on AppleTV. Interesting premise where the whole world went blind from a global pandemic, then fast forward a few hundred years to the birth of the first children with sight. Mamoa plays Baba Voss, protector of the Alkenny tribe, and the kids’ adoptive father.

It has that epic Game of Thrones feel, with gorgeous scenery, a remarkable attention to detail, brutal combat, and multilayered antagonists. The season 2 trailer just dropped, with Dave Bautista joining the cast.

Second season's being done by Jonathan Tropper (showrunner on Warrior and Banshee) so I'm excited.