Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Vinlaen posted:

I don't think I can change the blinds though because it needs to match the wood frame which is light brown (oak-ish), right?

It doesn't "need" to do anything. :) You could go with white blinds, or put up a curtain rod and do any color of drapes you desired.

Go pick up a copy of Dwell magazine to get some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Painting the wall(s) and adding some window dressing would go a long way to bring the room together.

e. Beat to it! drat you warwick :(

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

LowJack posted:

My OCD-riddled personality enjoys the purity of form and function illustrated in your setup.

Thanks! That's basically what compelled me to set it up like this. I hate cable clutter. Minimalism is awesome.

warwick5s posted:

What are you doing for speakers?

Right now I'm using a Audio-gd Compass headphone amp / DAC with a pair of HD 590s. It's hooked to the MBP via USB. I'm also running the Pioneer PL-516 to it via a phono pre-amp.

The ACD has built-in speakers, which I use if I just want to watch a lovely YouTube video without putting the headphones on.

I'm also in the process of restoring a H/K vintage amp, which I'll hook to a pair of JBL monitors and mount over the TV. That'll mainly just be for listening to tunes when friends come over.

Instant Stalker posted:

Those legare desks really are amazing (and expensive). Since you own one, I'd like to know if it's worth the price or not to be able to tear down quickly.

100% worth every penny. Hands down the best, most stable and secure desk I've ever owned. It's also nice to be able to tear it down without any tools. This desk should last many, many years.

I ended up getting the oak veneer and not the solid bamboo desk, so I saved a couple of hundred bucks that way.

ballsman
Jun 16, 2003

a fuckin bomb
Grimey Drawer

timb posted:

Here's my new Home Office / Entertainment Center setup. The couch on the left is L-shaped, so I can kick back and watch movies on the sweet 42" plasma. (Thanks, Black Friday!)

Sup compass buddy.

What chair is that?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Shitty_McShit posted:

Sup compass buddy.

What chair is that?

:hfive:

The chair is a Sealy Microfiber Memory Foam Task Chair. Very comfortable.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
The horror!

I have so much stuff on my desk that does not need to be there... tape measure, sleeping pills, business cards (I work from home.... obviously, dunno who I'm planning on giving business cards to, my roommates?)

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
yes, i have a bottle of Sriracha on my desk almost always (i put it on everything practically). sorry for the tea clutter, but i must enjoy some chai on a cold day.

my keyboard has tons of wax on it (spilled a candle) so i'm hoping to get a new one for Christmas, as well as a new chair because mine is busted at the seams from being so old.

Click here for the full 800x1067 image.

chomper fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 8, 2009

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
Bit of a long-shot, but can any Aussie goons here recommend an Australian retailer where I can get a really nice, large desk from? Not Harvey Norman/Ikea etc, and definitely not pine, oak or any traditional/grainy wood. Something big, black/white and designer, basically.

I'm building a house with a kick-rear end study visible from the family room, so it basically has to be a feature piece. For the sake of argument, let's say price really isn't an issue.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

modeski posted:

Bit of a long-shot, but can any Aussie goons here recommend an Australian retailer where I can get a really nice, large desk from? Not Harvey Norman/Ikea etc, and definitely not pine, oak or any traditional/grainy wood. Something big, black/white and designer, basically.

I'm building a house with a kick-rear end study visible from the family room, so it basically has to be a feature piece. For the sake of argument, let's say price really isn't an issue.

I've never seen anything that fantastic, everything is very office-y, though I've not been shopping for anything designer.. Have something custom-built by a cabinet maker, perhaps? Where are you located?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I've never seen anything that fantastic, everything is very office-y, though I've not been shopping for anything designer.. Have something custom-built by a cabinet maker, perhaps? Where are you located?

I'm in Melbourne, so something nearby would be good, but not mandatory. I had been quite keen on some desks from Progressive Office Furniture, but I haven't seen anything quite right. I'm quite keen on the L-shape, as I want two walls to be desk, with the third housing a bookcase (either one or two of these)

..and a chair, something like this:

This is probably the closest I've seen, but I don't like the colour of the side panels.

Click here for the full 1772x880 image.

modeski fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 9, 2009

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
A bit off topic, but has anyone here ever used a LapDawg?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

modeski posted:

I'm in Melbourne, so something nearby would be good, but not mandatory. I had been quite keen on some desks from Progressive Office Furniture, but I haven't seen anything quite right. I'm quite keen on the L-shape, as I want two walls to be desk, with the third housing a bookcase (either one or two of these)

When money becomes no object it is best to track down a carpenter. You will be able to choose everything down to the joining and drawer tracks and it won't be as costly as you think. Considering you are looking at a 3000 or so lounge the desk you want should be doable for something similar.

When it comes to furniture custom or vintage is the way to go for center pieces. The only exception to that I have is upholstered items. This is only because it can be very, very hard to find real upholsterers and the cost of doing it properly will probably blow your mind. Even high end furniture is normally fairly cheaply upholstered compared to a real shop. They normally won't even bother to reupholster newer items because the build quality makes it not worth the cost.

Also if you go with an Lshaped desk I recommend getting something configurable IE a desk that can act as a corner unit and can either be separated or straightened. Corner desks, much like sectional couches, tend to be very space dependent and it sucks dropping real money on furniture only to want to move it later and find that it fits no where.

Juriko fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 9, 2009

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

modeski posted:

..and a chair, something like this:

This is probably the closest I've seen, but I don't like the colour of the side panels.

Click here for the full 1772x880 image.

Oh, bizarre, I have those bookcases, in walnut instead of white (and packaged as all-American Blu Dot :911:).

Click here for the full 800x600 image.
(iPhone making my lamp look like a miniature sun)

Not sure if I'd use a Barcelona at a desk. Unless you just mean you were going to use it in the study. As for desks, I'm really digging the HM Airia desk, but it doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. Can't really recall many "designer" L desks though.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Dem Bones posted:

Oh, bizarre, I have those bookcases, in walnut instead of white (and packaged as all-American Blu Dot :911:).

Not sure if I'd use a Barcelona at a desk. Unless you just mean you were going to use it in the study. As for desks, I'm really digging the HM Airia desk, but it doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. Can't really recall many "designer" L desks though.

I really like the look of those shelves 'in use' as it were. I wonder if different companies rebrand them like that all over the world. Beautiful chair you've got as well! No, the Barcelona would be in the corner beside the bookcase for reading. I'd be getting a proper computer chair for the desk.

And the desk is a bit of a sticking point. If I can get an L-shaped white/black desk (or two straight ones that I can stick together) with the same colour back and sides then I'll go for that, but so far I've only seen them with unsightly grey.

modeski fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 13, 2009

Crunkenstein
Nov 4, 2009

timb posted:

Here's my new Home Office / Entertainment Center setup. The couch on the left is L-shaped, so I can kick back and watch movies on the sweet 42" plasma. (Thanks, Black Friday!)

Nice setup timb - would you please share where you got the component shelving above the TV? Is it integrated into the TV mount somehow? I'm looking to do something similar in my living room.

-Risk
Jul 16, 2008
So i'm after a "Goon Throne".

I live in Sweden and followed this auction a few days ago: http://www.auktionskompaniet.com/items/108721-kontorsstol-aeron-chair-herman-miller

One US Dollar equals about seven SEK, so the chair sold for:
$897. It has scratchmark and has been used for many years.
Now, if that's not crazy enough for you, the auctionfirm charges 50 SEK as a handling fee, and 20% of the final selling price as provision (from the buyer!). All in all this adds up to a total sum of:

7584.8 SEK = $1083.5!

For a used chair! That really says something about the supply vs. demand here in Sweden. Someone could buy a bunch of chairs in the US, ship them to Sweden, sell them here while staying at an expensive hotel and fly back - all as a nice little vacation payed by the profits.

I think my own hunt has two possible directions: buying a used chair from the Netherlands or Poland and ship it here, or wait for an IT firm to go bancrupt and have a firesale.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
new keyboard and router.... same old cluttered desk.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

chomper posted:

new keyboard and router.... same old cluttered desk.

It's not that cluttered - your wires, on the other hand ...

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

-Risk posted:

Aeron talk

My next "large" purchase will be a used/refurbed Aeron/Mirra I believe. I definitely won't pay $900+ for a chair, but around me I'm able to pick them up used for roughly $350-450. I'm 25 now, and have worked in IT since roughly 16, and I swear my back feels like a compressed mash of bones.

I sat in a coworkers Aeron a few months ago for a few hours, and man, I felt great.

I'm not sure what your exchange rate is, but perhaps you could have it shipped from a used office furniture store here in the states? Like I said, they range around $400. http://www.coxofficefurniture.com/ is where I have been seeing TONS of used ones, but they're 3 hours from me. You may want to inquire about them shipping to you, I'd imagine you'd save money as opposed to buying one locally.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

ufarn posted:

Living like actual poo poo.

Where do you people get these Apple keyboards from? Is the only place you can get them directly from Apple?

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

ufarn posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant... the whole set-up is messy.

Thirteenth Step posted:

Living like actual poo poo.

Where do you people get these Apple keyboards from? Is the only place you can get them directly from Apple?

The dreaded chain called Best Buy.

Imipolex G
Apr 1, 2009

bell biv devoe posted:

My next "large" purchase will be a used/refurbed Aeron/Mirra I believe. I definitely won't pay $900+ for a chair, but around me I'm able to pick them up used for roughly $350-450. I'm 25 now, and have worked in IT since roughly 16, and I swear my back feels like a compressed mash of bones.

I sat in a coworkers Aeron a few months ago for a few hours, and man, I felt great.

I'm not sure what your exchange rate is, but perhaps you could have it shipped from a used office furniture store here in the states? Like I said, they range around $400. http://www.coxofficefurniture.com/ is where I have been seeing TONS of used ones, but they're 3 hours from me. You may want to inquire about them shipping to you, I'd imagine you'd save money as opposed to buying one locally.

Keep in mind that the warranty doesn't transfer with the chair, so buying new from an authorized dealer for the 10 year warranty may be worthwhile. It looks like the prices for new chairs are just about double the prices for used chairs (from sit4less, if I remember right).

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

chomper posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant... the whole set-up is messy.

The dreaded chain called Best Buy.

I live in the UK, so no best buy for me :( however, you're saying that you can get these from shops and not just Apple directly? If yes; i'll have a look around!

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

Thirteenth Step posted:

I live in the UK, so no best buy for me :( however, you're saying that you can get these from shops and not just Apple directly? If yes; i'll have a look around!

Pretty much...
maybe there's a listing of stores for your country?
http://www.apple.com/buy/

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

horizon posted:

What desk is that? Looks ideal for the amount of room I have to play with.

I actually have the same exact desk. I got it from Staples. It's called a utility desk since it's so small.

Que
Jan 9, 2005

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Built my own desk. Cost me $35 and does what I need it to, perfectly. I love it.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Crunkenstein posted:

Nice setup timb - would you please share where you got the component shelving above the TV? Is it integrated into the TV mount somehow? I'm looking to do something similar in my living room.

OmniMount Tria.

As you can see, it can be twice as long. I only have one of the bars installed in order to fit above the TV. You're supposed to be able to route cabling through that bar, however I found it didn't work too well, hence the split loom tubing.

Good solid shelving solution though. You can mount it above or below your set.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Living like poo poo, but I don't care. I can't do anything with the tiny rooms in this 90 year old house.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Philip J Fry posted:

Living like poo poo, but I don't care. I can't do anything with the tiny rooms in this 90 year old house.

Looks like you've made the best of it.

Why the old house. Parents'?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Yeah why can't you afford a new house?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
haha, if I were to try and buy a house in my hometown then 80% of houses available would be 90 years +

That's just the way it is in some parts of the world, especially the UK.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Philip J Fry posted:

Only 90!? Call me back when your windows are crooked, and your basement floor is dirt. I moved from my parents house, c. 1790 to my place c. 1860 and considered that an upgrade. My grandmother's house is from 1692... now that's old.

vv Neither was mine. :ssh:

corgski fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 14, 2009

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

thelightguy posted:

Only 90!? Call me back when your windows are crooked, and your basement floor is dirt. I moved from my parents house, c. 1790 to my place c. 1860 and considered that an upgrade. My grandmother's house is from 1692... now that's old.

My country wasn't even around back then. :colbert:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

thelightguy posted:

You have any pics of these places?

VVV That's why I want to see the pictures.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

I would imagine if a house from the 17th century has made it this far it was very well built.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, i'd like to see them too. Not like I don't believe you, i'm just interested in older houses (i'd like to restore one if I ever make enough to do that)....

Jeez, the workmanship that must have gone into them to make it this long must be amazing.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

GreatGreen posted:

My place is just a typical Victorian Era row home.

The back half of this place is from sometime in 1790, the front half is from 1820 or so.

And the last picture will come when I can figure out where I put my scanner's power cord.

E: and on topic; my desktop:

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 14, 2009

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Mike the TV posted:

Yeah why can't you afford a new house?

Oh I can, I'm just waiting for the right one and I'm also considering relocating within the next two years.

thelightguy posted:

nly 90!? Call me back when your windows are crooked, and your basement floor is dirt.

I think the housing in my state was still pretty much dominated by teepees and longhouses back then.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 14, 2009

cadex
Jun 6, 2003

Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire Cat.

Jealous Cow posted:

I would imagine if a house from the 17th century has made it this far it was very well built.

Most old buildings in the UK are protected and require regular building surveys to make sure they're not falling apart, which most of them are. My first flat was pretty old (early 18th century and on the same street that Charles Dickens lived while writing Great Expectations) and was also very damp. The landlord didn't look after the place and even replaced the wooden frame, single glazed windows with double glazed windows without getting permission. Big no-no with listed buildings as you can't alter a listed building's appearance without getting permission from authorities. The windows just made the damp worse and by the time I moved out almost all my VHS tapes were ruined and most my clothes stank of dank. Old buildings and poo poo landlords aren't a good mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hydrixel
Oct 28, 2002

Everyday.

Dem Bones posted:

Bitchin' room, I love those DWR shelves, thinking about taking that design and just building it myself because of the price tag on them. That Eames lounge and ottoman is the attention grabber in that picture though. Do you have an Airia desk? Are they really as rad as they look, haven't seen one up close yet but the desk lamp I've seen pictured with them looks slick. Didn't think the most impressive picture I'd see in this thread wouldn't have a computer in it.

The only L shape designer desk I can think of are the Herman Miller Burdick group desks. Unfortunately, they have discontinued much of the series. They look sharp though. My boss gave me some extra parts he had and I was able to piece one together in an L-Shape for my office. Kind of hard to track down though, drat near impossible, but it has a really cool industrial feel. My set up is similar to this, I even have that same Eames high back:

Click here for the full 800x413 image.

EDIT: Just realized those aren't DWR, but they look just like the Chicago eight box.

hydrixel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 15, 2009