Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Cizzo posted:

Pretty sure that's what's sitting on the side of drawers there. As he said, he's waiting for part of the frame from Ikea. I actually bought the table top and legs from Ikea once but forgot to get the frame with it. drat Ikea and their weird system.

This. I didn't see an extra bin reference for the additional frame piece (wasn't near the section displaying the tops or an additional reference in the warehouse where you pick up the boxes) and was trying to get out of the hell that is the actual Ikea store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Harry Totterbottom posted:

This. I didn't see an extra bin reference for the additional frame piece (wasn't near the section displaying the tops or an additional reference in the warehouse where you pick up the boxes) and was trying to get out of the hell that is the actual Ikea store.

Same. That place blows my mind and even if there is a guided path; I can't find poo poo there.

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
This thread really inspires me to redo my setup. I appreciate you guys taking the time to show us all your gaming/working/computing space.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Soul_Apparatus posted:

This thread really inspires me to redo my setup. I appreciate you guys taking the time to show us all your gaming/working/computing space.
Be sure to share it when you're done. :shobon:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any advice on tying cables together? There are cables running to my laptop in the TV room, and it doesn't look that awesome: ethernet, power, TV-out and external HDD USB.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

Any advice on tying cables together? There are cables running to my laptop in the TV room, and it doesn't look that awesome: ethernet, power, TV-out and external HDD USB.

Zip ties if they are always in that group or velcro ties if you need to swap cables out all the time. Velcro ties rock but they are way more expensive than their zip tie brethren and less sturdy for long term installs. The third option is cord and cable lacing.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

ufarn posted:

Split loom tubing, forever.

forever!

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Beska posted:

Have fun replacing them every other month because the nibs wear down!

The curse ... of the ... fineliners...

That's why they make ef/eef nibs for fountain pens. :colbert:

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Got the desk for $2.50 at a university supply decommission store, is about twice the size of what I had before it (awesome). It has two slide out panels above the top drawers for more "workspace". I use it to lay my right arm on while gaming. :smug: Depth is enough to completely hide my centurion 5 case without kicking it (too often). I have speakers off to the right, sitting on a wardrobe. I don't care to much about surround, as I do loudness in every direction, so that works out alright.

I tried to get the TV to work as a second monitor, but for some reason I can't get my 5750 and dvi-svideo adapters to work correctly :(

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Is that one of those control-everything-remotes for the elderly? :D I almost bought one of them for $10 recently just for shits and giggles.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ptier posted:

Split loom tubing, forever.

forever!

Wow, this seems like a great idea. Do you have any pictures of it being used at your place?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

FLX posted:

Is that one of those control-everything-remotes for the elderly? :D I almost bought one of them for $10 recently just for shits and giggles.

Yeah. I got it on a 2 for Tuesday on woot. I like the large size because I lose remotes, phones, etc, like a mad man. I use one of them while at the desk, the other is for the bed, which is literally 4 feet to the right.

Works out great. :)

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Wow, this seems like a great idea. Do you have any pictures of it being used at your place?

If you look back one page at my lovely phone pic. The thick black thing is this stuff. It's got a couple of patch cables running through it. I've also got all of the video, usb, keyboard and mouse cables running in one of them behind the 3 monitors. I love this stuff, you can pick it up at most Lowes in the network/cable section (only 5 ft pieces but it's 3 bucks).

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Dead Pressed posted:

Got the desk for $2.50 at a university supply decommission store, is about twice the size of what I had before it (awesome). I

I'm assuming a VT Saturday Auction where Lamp iMacs can go for $$$?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

ptier posted:

I'm assuming a VT Saturday Auction where Lamp iMacs can go for $$$?

Why, yes. That's exactly where I got it. :D

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My home office...where all the goobering happens.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Goober Peas posted:

I hope that you have cash in that register over there.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sniep posted:

I hope that you have cash in that register over there.

It'll cost you a nickle to find out. :colbert:

I have a relative who has been in grocery distribution since the 60s who picked it up somewhere along the way. It was passed along to me about 25 years ago, and been the source of hours of tinkering.

It's a fine piece of 1950s machinery. That goes well in my 1950s house.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

I am usually not a fan of wood paneling in homes but your area pulls it off really well.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kingfet posted:

I am usually not a fan of wood paneling in homes but your area pulls it off really well.

Thanks! I said the same thing when I was house shopping.

This room was one of the drawbacks in the house. It felt oppressively cold, small, dark and closed in. I liked the color and texture of the paneling, but there was just too much of it, especially with the floors being a similar hardwood tone. The realty agent suggested I could easily paint the walls to lighten the room.

So as an experiment, I put up the chair rail and painted the lower half and all of the trim a bright white. This is how it turned out, and I really like it. I do my best work here -- it's warm, cozy and relaxing.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 1, 2010

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I was messing around with long shutter shots and taking pictures of my desk and computer. I know I am living like poo poo but I LAN too often to care about wire ties and everything.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Photex posted:

I was messing around with long shutter shots and taking pictures of my desk and computer. I know I am living like poo poo but I LAN too often to care about wire ties and everything.

Hey there, Logitech Speaker buddy! :cool::respek::cool: Looks like you're putting the surround sound capabilities of them to good use :D

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Photex posted:

:ohdear: Is your computer on fire??

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

concise posted:

:ohdear: Is your computer on fire??

How could you tell I had an AMD?

"FLX posted:

Hey there, Logitech Speaker buddy! Looks like you're putting the surround sound capabilities of them to good use

I used to have them actually setup in my old apartment, but I don't really have the room to do it here. I can't wait to move out in June, I miss my 5.1 FLAC and gaming.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

My base of operations:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Mr. The Jeffers posted:

My base of operations:

You can't just post that keyboard and not explain how it is.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Photex posted:

How could you tell I had an AMD?

Is that where the bright orange glow is coming from? Phew, thats normal then.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Seeing as I've just gone and added another monitor to my setup I figure I should post a picture of it. I really have no idea why I have 3 monitors now, I just figured that instead of upgrading the second monitor to a widescreen I should just add a third one in.

A shot of the whole desk featuring the huge rats nest of wires. This desk brought to you by $80 of wood and screws from the local hardware store.

And a closeup of the actual computer end of things, with the chair cunningly hiding my living like poo poo.

vladimir
May 29, 2003

We're caught in a flat spin!

Mr. The Jeffers posted:

My base of operations:

You need to buy a replacement screen for that huge-rear end laptop on the left.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.

Mr. The Jeffers posted:

My base of operations:

You don't have the right mouse. Here you go, I found it for you!

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
Just got a snazzy new keyboard for christmas and moved into a new apartment. Here's the new digs.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kruzen posted:

Just got a snazzy new keyboard for christmas and moved into a new apartment. Here's the new digs.

is that the sidewinder x4 or x6? either way, how do you like it? i'm currently using a razer lycosa and the touch panel media/light controller is really, really starting to bug me while its on the sliding tray of my new desk.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.

zerox147o posted:

is that the sidewinder x4 or x6? either way, how do you like it? i'm currently using a razer lycosa and the touch panel media/light controller is really, really starting to bug me while its on the sliding tray of my new desk.

it's the x6, I like it a lot actually. The time-sensitive macro's are outstanding for gaming with complex keyboard combinations that require any sort of time accountability. The detachable 10 key is great as well. It takes a little bit of getting used to to type on because the left ctrl key isn't the furthest button to the left, so I find that my typing is shifted to the left slightly and the first week was spent hitting all sorts of wrong keys. I've been using a microsoft natural elite for the last 6 years so it's been a big change.

All in all I recommend, it has just enough media buttons to keep a man satisfied, but not too many that you don't use any of them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The LackRack is a pretty neat way to use rack-mounted equipment in your house. I wish I had a use for it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Kruzen posted:

it's the x6, I like it a lot actually. The time-sensitive macro's are outstanding for gaming with complex keyboard combinations that require any sort of time accountability. The detachable 10 key is great as well. It takes a little bit of getting used to to type on because the left ctrl key isn't the furthest button to the left, so I find that my typing is shifted to the left slightly and the first week was spent hitting all sorts of wrong keys. I've been using a microsoft natural elite for the last 6 years so it's been a big change.

All in all I recommend, it has just enough media buttons to keep a man satisfied, but not too many that you don't use any of them.

I've heard it can't register more than two button presses at once. Has that hindered your gaming experience?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's my brother-in-law's desk. He currently lives in the same house as my wife and I and I get to experience this 10 feet from our bedroom door.

He uses this computer every day for a couple hours. Now he did manage to make a room to actually use the keyboard and mouse.

Living like poo poo indeed.

Not shown: The 14 (I counted) empty McDonalds fast food bags (most being 20 piece McNugget meals).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BorderPatrol posted:

Here's my brother-in-law's desk. He currently lives in the same house as my wife and I and I get to experience this 10 feet from our bedroom door.

He uses this computer every day for a couple hours. Now he did manage to make a room to actually use the keyboard and mouse.

Living like poo poo indeed.

Not shown: The 14 (I counted) empty McDonalds fast food bags (most being 20 piece McNugget meals).
I did not know they gave out awards for ickiness.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

I've heard it can't register more than two button presses at once. Has that hindered your gaming experience?

I haven't personally experienced this problem, but this article seems to bring it into very specific light. It looks like it's a problem with ctrl+r+left side of the keyboard.. Check it out. http://prosperouspoverty.blogspot.com/2009/02/microsoft-sidewinder-x6-gaming-keyboard.html

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

strwrsxprt posted:

The LackRack is a pretty neat way to use rack-mounted equipment in your house. I wish I had a use for it.

I'm a bit suspicious of the stability of these - back in our dorm we had them in every common room and they fell apart quickly, the legs twisting where they joined into the top part. They're dirt cheap for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

BorderPatrol posted:

Brother-in-law

poo poo, I know he's your brother in law, but tell him to clean that poo poo up. That's your place, and he has no right to treat it that way. What an eye sore.