Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Just got back from Ikea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Your desk is a bit bare. My Ikea Jerker recently got a new desk lamp and a little plant. :3:

I like that the lamp is a spotlight that can be swiveled around to add accent lighting to the room when I don't need it pointed at my work surface.

edit: Also why is every drat desk lamp LED now?! I can't stand the cool light. I get that it's energy efficient and the bulbs don't need replacing, but still. :mad:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 7, 2011

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Your desk is a bit bare. My Ikea Jerker recently got a new desk lamp and a little plant. :3:

I like that the lamp is a spotlight that can be swiveled around to add accent lighting to the room when I don't need it pointed at my work surface.

edit: Also why is every drat desk lamp LED now?! I can't stand the cool light. I get that it's energy efficient and the bulbs don't need replacing, but still. :mad:
Just get some lighting gel or a tinted bulb?

MEsean
Aug 29, 2003

Where did you get that light?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MEsean posted:

Where did you get that light?
It's this guy right here.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Corbet posted:

Just got back from Ikea...

Rega RP1?

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...

Just made my first Ikea purchase and grabbed this Galant desk. I really had to hope that everything fit right/wasn't broken since it's a nine hour round-trip drive to get there. However, this desk is sturdy as poo poo and so far works well. As for the other stuff:

1. A 7-port USB hub with on/off switches
2. A piece of poo poo HP laptop that I hate - fortunately, tax return should be big enough that I can buy a desktop rig and maybe put some effort into hiding these wires.
3. Logitech headphones w/mic on a banana hammock.
4. Some old 1TB external drive I got a while back.
5. Ikea Grono lamps. I got two sets of two (since the set is one big, one small). These are the two small ones, and the big ones are in the bedroom.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

It's this guy right here.

$70? :wth::raise:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apps posted:

It was on sale over the weekend, but yeah I guess that's the MSRP. That's nothing, too. They had table lamps there that were a similar style for almost $400. I could not figure out what would make a brushed metal lamp worth several hundred dollars.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
What kind of bulb do those use? They look like the track lighting bulbs a lot of restaurants use that get hot as hell.

Love the design, though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Triikan posted:

What kind of bulb do those use? They look like the track lighting bulbs a lot of restaurants use that get hot as hell.
Same bulb. Yeah it gets pretty toasty. It probably inhales power too. Maybe I'll hook it up to my Kill-a-Watt just for kicks.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Apps posted:

I was kind of shocked too. I was thinking it'd be ~$40. It's a cool looking lamp, and I'd be all over it if it had a desk clamp.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Same bulb. Yeah it gets pretty toasty. It probably inhales power too. Maybe I'll hook it up to my Kill-a-Watt just for kicks.

You can get an LED replacement bulb that will run pretty cool... :keke:

P.S. Where did you find LED desktop lamps, anyway? Everything around here is still halogen or CFL, and I rather like the cooler white from LED and would happily get a few lamps with them, but I haven't been able to find any.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

It was on sale over the weekend, but yeah I guess that's the MSRP. That's nothing, too. They had table lamps there that were a similar style for almost $400. I could not figure out what would make a brushed metal lamp worth several hundred dollars.

It is actually less than I expected. When you posted it I was thinking it was going to be one of those humorous cases where your lamp cost more than your whole desk(well, I don't know how much the desk was, I just expected the lamp to be like 300-400 bucks).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

You can get an LED replacement bulb that will run pretty cool... :keke:

P.S. Where did you find LED desktop lamps, anyway? Everything around here is still halogen or CFL, and I rather like the cooler white from LED and would happily get a few lamps with them, but I haven't been able to find any.
I picked mine up at Lamps Plus. Here's their online catalog of LED desk lamps. They had a big sale that ended yesterday. :(

I'll look into the bulb. The salesperson didn't mention it when he tried to upsell me an extra bulb.

edit: $700 desk lamp. :laugh:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Steakandchips posted:

I loathe it personally, I don't like boxes; what if my tower is too large/too wide? Or if I need to gently caress around with the sides or someshit?

A valid point with some built-in style desks, but a Mac Pro is not exactly a small computer. It's up there with some of the largest of what you can reasonably call "desktop" PC towers. Maybe a massive server tower or that double-wide dual PC case Thermaltake or Cooler Master, I forget who, released a while back might be a problem but I wouldn't worry about it much in that desk's case. Good point on the side access though, it looks like that desk could trade the flat panels on the inner walls for just having pillars at the front and back and have enough side access to add/remove most hardware without moving the computer while not losing strength.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
$70 for a desk light! drat and I thought my £5 ASDA light was a bit pricey for what it is lol.

Here's a quick update:

goat boy
Dec 28, 2006
I volunteered for Vietnam to get out of Alabama
mrk, what is the pad your keyboard and mouse are on and what is the monitor arm you are using?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

goat boy posted:

mrk, what is the pad your keyboard and mouse are on and what is the monitor arm you are using?

The arm is a Ergotron MX. I have two and they are fantastic except you need to tighten the tension a ton to avoid the monitor shaking when you type. Probably not an issue on 24 inch monitors, and after you tighten it everything is great.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

The Mat is a BoogieBug XL Gaming surface - An oversized mousemat if you will, with a smooth surface. My monitor is a 24" but weighs about 11KG so the tensioner had to be tightened quite a bit!

mrk fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 9, 2011

brathering
Sep 26, 2007

ducky ducky duck duck

mrk posted:

$70 for a desk light! drat and I thought my £5 ASDA light was a bit pricey for what it is lol.

Here's a quick update:

love then android .. and of the course the desire :3:

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

mrk posted:

Here's a quick update:

I like the vibe I get from your desk. Nice and clean and organized.

e: What's going on with the power bar under the desk? Are there hooks that get clamped in by the plugs? Is that what the bar is hanging from?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

mrk posted:

Here's a quick update:

Is the desk actually sagging, or is that just the angle of the shot and the lens?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Is the desk actually sagging, or is that just the angle of the shot and the lens?
Door's curved too. It's the lens distorting it.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

At 17mm lens distortion at such a wide angle is to be expected :p

The power bar at the bottom is just an 8 gang plug extension fixed to the wall, the desk has cable tidies on the ceiling of the underside which is where the wires are hanging from!

It is a mellow desk tbh, I have an Ikea armchair behind, I sit there and listen to music/watch videos - Is good!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mrk posted:

At 17mm lens distortion at such a wide angle is to be expected :p
It's a pretty quick fix in Photoshop, but you probably know that. 17mm is what I shot mine at.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Yep, I just imported the CR2 in Lightroom and applied the lens profile which fixed the bulk of the barrel distortion but some still remains - Dunno but somehow I think it adds something different being curved at the bottom :p

Webjunkie
Jan 19, 2003

3/26/95: Neva Fo-get

Click here for the full 1500x489 image.

I spend too much time here.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Aha, home office?

Looks ambient!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

mrk posted:

Aha, home office?

Looks ambient!

Looks like cubicle walls to me, and not many people has an ip phone like that at home.

Robin357Lazarus
Jul 5, 2008

mrk posted:

The Mat is a BoogieBug XL Gaming surface - An oversized mousemat if you will, with a smooth surface. My monitor is a 24" but weighs about 11KG so the tensioner had to be tightened quite a bit!

I want that pad, but I can't find any located in the US. Anybody know of a US equivalent keyboard/mouse pad? eBay has failed me.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Ah yes, it might be rather difficult finding it in the USA, there's only 2 or 3 stores in the UK that sell it for starters!

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Techniichan posted:

I want that pad, but I can't find any located in the US. Anybody know of a US equivalent keyboard/mouse pad? eBay has failed me.

I use a cheapy Alsop I got at Office Depot like this but there's also the Glock bench mat.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side

Miyari posted:

Living like poo poo, but I don't care - my setup makes me happy. I have a ton of new parts coming soon so this will probably be the last pic featuring the beloved (and terribly overheating) pink computer case. The top left corner of my desk is still cleared out because I was going to try and hang one of those plush toy nets up there at some point.

Click the pic for the embiggened version. Still grainy as hell, but my camera sucks.

Also, every rental in Texas has this same horrendous carpet, and no labeling so have fun!

So true I hate that carpet!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New job, lot of hours. Buy a new desk and multi-monitor that fucker so I can actually do some work in a decent environment!
Who invented the Galant desk? For I would like to shake that persons hand :allears:

Lets play spot all the nerdy crap I have on my desk.

About 50% done at the moment:
- Need to order some longer cables for everything so I don't have my PC at my feet. I've got cable gutters underneath which will solve all my cable mess as well.
- Order a 32" LED TV to go above my main monitor for some home theatre goodness.
- Buy a draw to house a dock (Plus wireless keyboard + mouse) so I can whack my laptop in there after work, press a KVM button and start using one of my other monitors.
- Order a NAS and start using it for backups / media centre.
- Order more nerdy poo poo for my room.

I'm going for cramped, nerdy and organised. I don't know.. it just feels comfortable and cozy if it's like that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mrk posted:

Here's a quick update:

$700 is clearly insane, but I spent £140 on an anglepoise and it was worth every penny.

Also, I have those speaker, what are you using as an amp?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Infinitum posted:

New job, lot of hours. Buy a new desk and multi-monitor that fucker so I can actually do some work in a decent environment!
Who invented the Galant desk? For I would like to shake that persons hand :allears:

Your image has got timg code around it, so it's small and can't be enlarged. Here's the full size image for others:

http://i.imgur.com/wEEUf.jpg

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What web-browser are you using that you can't click on timg'd pictures to enlarge them?

Mighty_Ferguson
Mar 29, 2004

AND IT GOES A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS

Infinitum posted:

What web-browser are you using that you can't click on timg'd pictures to enlarge them?

Chrome won't let you click on them. I believe it's a known bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Mighty_Ferguson posted:

Chrome won't let you click on them. I believe it's a known bug.

Right click > Open image in new tab

It's annoying but it works.