Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bishop Beo posted:

Any tips for Dead Rising 4? Got it as part of the monthly humble bundle.

They nerfed some of the heaing combination items, but it doesnt really matter since even uncombind food is super health restoring

There is no time limit so you can faff about at leisure.

The enter every location achievement is absolute madness, do not attempt.

There are some blueprints that require you to have the exo suit and I think a special skill. If you find blueprints on your map that are outdoors where youre standing on the spot but theres nothing there thats what it probably is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Barudak posted:

The enter every location achievement is absolute madness, do not attempt.
This does bring up a good tip though, you get enough PP from running into locations to discover them that that's a good way to pick up some early, easy levels.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

In Sly Cooper Thieves in Time the reward you get for opening the safe in the episode Clan of the Cave Racoon (the third episode) tells you the location of bottles and safes on the radar. So I recommend going for that before you try to collect all the other bottles.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There are four of them now?

3 was a xbone launch title, 4 came out a bit over a year ago and had Frank West again.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

im cute posted:

3 was a xbone launch title, 4 came out a bit over a year ago and had Frank West again.

3 was the bad one, right? What's 4 like?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Lone Badger posted:

Even worse.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Lone Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxJpDtg0Bs

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as somebody who has never played any of that series

how do you regress that badly

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My guess? Japanese devs care more about quality than western devs. I guess 4 was developed by Capcom Vancouver.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did they not have access to the source for the previous ones or... ?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My guess? Japanese devs care more about quality than western devs.
I wish. Tell that to Konami and their newfound love of Pachinko and mobile games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My guess? Japanese devs care more about quality than western devs. I guess 4 was developed by Capcom Vancouver.

lol, Capcom not giving a poo poo is exactly why they handed it off to Vancouver to make it on the cheap.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've only played Off the Record and kind of bounced off it, it's weird. Only played a couple of hours though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

I wish. Tell that to Konami and their newfound love of Pachinko and mobile games.

Have you seen the MGS Slot and Pachinco machines? poo poo is top notch gambling spectacle.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Some Japanese devs seem to just leave in those weird tiny details even if it doesn't always make sense (see all the subsystems in Dragon's Dogma like food rotting).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

lol, Capcom not giving a poo poo is exactly why they handed it off to Vancouver to make it on the cheap.

Every DR game that's not the first one was made by Vancouver.

Anyway, I'm planning to start MGSV soon. It'll basically be my first MGS game outside of Rising, but I've learned enough through internet-osmosis to know it doesn't play much like the others. Any general tips to get started? Also, a more specific question. I heard that Konami jacked up the numbers a couple weeks after launch in a way that made their microtransactions drat near mandatory if you wanted to get any of the endgame upgrades. Did they ever walk that back or am I in for an interminable grind?

Fakedit: oh wait, dur, I did also play Ground Zeroes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The microtransactions being mandatory is basically only if you want to do a bunch of the multiplayer FOB type deal. Otherwise, just use the one FOB you get from the story and ignore it.

The wiki entry has a bunch of tips. Beyond that my only real tip is don't worry about playing it like one of the older MGS games where you have to ghost everything. There are going to be times you get caught, there are going to be storyline missions where you have to fight, etc. The combat is pretty good, so just roll with the punches. That said, making use of stealth until you have to go loud is usually a pretty good idea, because it's not just spawning guys out of nowhere. If you clear half of an outpost and then get spotted, the other half is still there but it's not magic-ing up guys out of a building (though it will call some guys in from other bases if you haven't blown up their communications equipment).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
FOB invasions use matchmaking, so if you don't invade, you'll be matched with the people who also don't invade, and you'll be fine. You get one FOB for free and that's more than enough for the single-player component.

You shouldn't fret much about doing missions perfectly because you can replay them, so you can go get that S rank later with better gear. Fighting your way out of trouble is a lot of fun.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The game is very enjoyable without endgame gear so under no circumstances should you feel compelled to spend irl money to work towards getting it. It’s been a little since I’ve played but afaik the only points where you might really be wishing you had all the gear in the game is the masochistic post-game challenge missions, which are just tweaked versions of content you’ve already played.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mordja posted:

Every DR game that's not the first one was made by Vancouver.

Anyway, I'm planning to start MGSV soon. It'll basically be my first MGS game outside of Rising, but I've learned enough through internet-osmosis to know it doesn't play much like the others. Any general tips to get started? Also, a more specific question. I heard that Konami jacked up the numbers a couple weeks after launch in a way that made their microtransactions drat near mandatory if you wanted to get any of the endgame upgrades. Did they ever walk that back or am I in for an interminable grind?

Fakedit: oh wait, dur, I did also play Ground Zeroes.

The endgame upgrades don't add anything to the game. There's already tons of weapons in the game that you don't need to use microtransactions to get, so unless you are some kind of obsessive completionist who has to have everything then you can ignore them completely.

Also if you get bored of stealth or certain weapon types, just change things up for a while. You can absolutely load out with a pistol that fires grenades, an assault rifle with an underslung grenade launcher, a rocket launcher and some hand grenades then go into a mission and blow up everyone and everything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Also if you get bored of stealth or certain weapon types, just change things up for a while. You can absolutely load out with a pistol that fires grenades, an assault rifle with an underslung grenade launcher, a rocket launcher and some hand grenades then go into a mission and blow up everyone and everything.

Adding on, you can still get S ranks while killing everyone you see. As long as you are fast and don't take a lot of damage you will clear the score hurdle pretty well

One particular mission can be easily S ranked by hovering the chopper over a base, lighting it up with the minigun, and then leaving without even getting out.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The gameplay loop for the first 20 hours of MGS5 is unlock a subsystem, play with that subsystem for a bit, then do a story mission which unlocks another subsystem. There are soooo many mechanics that get introduced, but it is paced out in a smooth approachable manner. Nothing is mandatory.

Also, don't fret too hard about staffing ypur base. Just keep collecting dudes like pokemon (tranquilizer darts are SUPER EFFECTIVE) and about every 3-6 hours of game time spend a good 15-30 minutes sifting through your roster. Good rule of thumb is fire everyone who has the lowest grade in their department, fire everyone with a troublemaker skill unless they are at the top of their grade, and only keep low level dudes if they got a vital skill.

Spoilers for the Wandering Soldier sidemissions if you are tired of them knocking your rear end to the ground: Approach the crazy men while you are wearing a box. They'll chill out and recognize you. Then you can knock them out and fulton them up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool, thanks for the info. I've heard the rubber-bullet SMG is amazing so I'll probably aim for that early on.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
A real man goes in with just a water gun. I never needed anything else :c00lbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A real man goes in with just a water gun. I never needed anything else :c00lbert:

I was disappointed when I used the water gun against a particular enemy only to find out it wasn't super-effective. :negative: Sure, it wouldn't have made any sense, but I had to try.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Zaodai posted:

I was disappointed when I used the water gun against a particular enemy only to find out it wasn't super-effective. :negative: Sure, it wouldn't have made any sense, but I had to try.

I mean, it absolutely seems like the sort of thing Kojima would do, so no shame there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zaodai posted:

You didn't try hard enough. It works.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You didn't try hard enough. It works.

Really? I stopped after a few shots when you get the call that says uh, yeah, that's not going to work you have to think bigger.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zaodai posted:

Really? I stopped after a few shots when you get the call that says uh, yeah, that's not going to work you have to think bigger.

It works, but you have to do it a LOT

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think it takes some absurd amount of shots iirc

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Just wrapped up most of Ni No Kuni 2. Here's some tips!

General
*Keep one smelly/stinky shoe! As you level up your kingdom these become nearly impossible to find and are required for a quest.
*A good deal of quests cannot be complete until post game. This is by design.
*Only take tasks that you can complete then and there. Don't stress these as they will recycle over time.
*Skills/Spells that have multiple tiers will have an Higgledy requirement before they can be activated. You must have the proper count actively out on the field as they run up for you to absorb them by holding down the skill/spell button.
*You can charge your range weapon.
*Dream Doors are mostly side content and are better tackled once you begin upgrading your kingdom.
*As the game ramps up in difficulty abuse your Higgledies, dodging i-frames, Tactic Tweaker's Monster Affinity/Elemental & Aliments, and food.
*At about level 45+, quest boss encounters will be much harder. Prepare before attempting.
*Cook food to level up your chef.
*Skirmish doesn't require much min/maxing, so have fun mixing things up or playing with sword/spear/hammer/range. With that said, most skirmishes involve swordsmen, so spear units tend to be the most useful.
*The "best" Skirmish skills are buffs/debuffs and late game monster summon.
*One Skirmish scenario will require you to use build units for a certain fleeing bandit.

Higgledies
*Not all Higgledy Stones are meant to be completed when you first see them.
*There's a few Higgledy Stones that try to fool you. The most infamous one asks for what sounds like corn, but is a mid to late game vegetable.
*Higgledy personality traits determine how often that Higgledy will act in combat. Timid/Shy Higgledies work better with Aggressive/Outgoing types.
*Try to have some Higgledies in your party with 'There! There!'
*Tove the Tenebrous is a fantastic early game Higgledy that will last you for most of the game. His stone is found on the path for the main story quest, namely when you go to rescue a girl.
*Pick one or two Higgledies to level until the final chapters. Early materials are more useful elsewhere and late materials are plentiful.

Kingdom Management
*It's not necessary to let the game idle to unlock research, build up KG, etc. You can safely progress through the story as you continue to work on your kingdom.
*Evermore Spellworks and Institute of Innovation are two important buildings. Spellworks for dealing with those nasty locked chests and the Institute for general quality of life improvements to city building.
*You can move the cursor faster by holding R2.
*As you unlock new Mining Camps, Ranches, Farms etc., place your townspeople in to these new buildings as they have higher tier materials. Neglecting this will have you hurting later.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mayor McCheese posted:

*Skills/Spells that have multiple tiers will have an Higgledy requirement before they can be activated. You must have the proper count actively out on the field as they run up for you to absorb them by holding down the skill/spell button.
Is that actually a requirement? I haven't found the opportunity to try it yet, but I've read that it's basically just an alternative to having full Zing on a weapon.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not the first time I've played it, and am pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the game, but any advice for my first serious run at trying to become king in Mount and Blade: Warband?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Not the first time I've played it, and am pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the game, but any advice for my first serious run at trying to become king in Mount and Blade: Warband?

Become a queen instead, start may be harder but the world conquest is easier, because if your husband is a lord he'll do everything you tell him to do - jump to another faction or follow you with his army whenever you ask.
You want to take it slow at the start anyway, to build prestige and reputation with the lords and grow in strength inside a country while helping it to take over the world.
You want to have at least 2-3 cities to yourself with full garrison to have a fighting chance.
Then turn on the king the next time he doesn't give you land and talk the lords that like you into jumping ship over to your faction.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 11, 2018

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Any advice for Alliance Alive? I'm having a ton of fun with the game but I feel like I'm missing out on a ton of mechanics... like how in the hell I'm supposed to raise my hp.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

KirbyKhan posted:

Spoilers for the Wandering Soldier sidemissions if you are tired of them knocking your rear end to the ground: Approach the crazy men while you are wearing a box. They'll chill out and recognize you. Then you can knock them out and fulton them up.
I never thought of that. I just sent D-Dog up to distract them, then chucked them to the ground 5 times in a row to knock them out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Is that actually a requirement? I haven't found the opportunity to try it yet, but I've read that it's basically just an alternative to having full Zing on a weapon.

I’ve read that too, in the game’s SA thread (perhaps we read it in the same place)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve read that too, in the game’s SA thread (perhaps we read it in the same place)
Yes, that's where I got that from. I haven't progressed to having multiple levels of magic yet, so I can't try.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

How do I approach Domina without running out of all my supplies and dying. This game doesn't explain anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Final Fantasy 15 (windows):
There's a bunch of OP-looking stuff in my inventory right at the start. I should ignore it / mulch it?