Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Alaan posted:

Yeah vast majority of MMO sequels just die. EverQuest is alive and well. EQ2 is something like a decade dead

Modern EQ is a graveyard of mmo grognards who can't let go of 1999, and other brain-diseased fools that find that poo poo identifiable. EQ2 was poo poo all-around for foremost not sticking to that godawful "The Vision" bullshit that would've drawn & kept the original EQ fucknauts, and secondly being lame at whatever it was trying to be. Good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there a good replacement in the WW2 vehicle shooter space for Forgotten Hope/BF42? Kinda jonesin for some ww2 shooter nostalgia. Day of infamy scratches that Day of Defeat, squad level itch, but I wanna dive bomb some t-34s in a Stuka.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I remember when Everquest 2 came out. It was like the Crysis of MMOs so I never played much because it was a choice of either lag to poo poo or set it to play-dough vision where it looks worse than EQ1 because at least EQ1 was a consistent style designed around the limitations of the time and not just blocky color smears.

Anyway, RDR2 is the second game I've refunded on Steam. I just cannot get it to boot no matter what I do so gently caress this poo poo.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Closest I think you'll get these days is Post Scriptum

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Memento posted:

Almost certainly not, they don't delete anything due to inactivity.

Also, quitting before Icecrown Citadel was a very pro move, the way raiding worked then was that you could get an advantage by running it twice a week (10-player and 25) so that was what you did. Coliseum could be run four times a week (10-normal, 10-heroic, and 25 for both of those) and burned out more than a few people.

My old character got deleted. I got in contact with a GM and they said the realm got merged and blah blah blah....sorry your level 70 gnome is no more.

It pissed me off, because I thought stuff didn't get deleted. They said they could recover the account, but it wouldn't recover the character - just any titles I had. Which were none.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gtab's ammo mod really made the combat liven up in FONV. IIRC, it made not only your guns more dangerous, but also enemy guns. Or maybe that was another mod? I dunno but in any case, it actually made dumping rounds out of This Machine or another fast-firing rifle pay off (at risk of the enemy shredding your armor/health as well), as opposed to the Vanilla FONV meta of a sniper rifle, a mega-powerful shotgun, a hand-cannon, and maybe an SMG.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Memento posted:

Almost certainly not, they don't delete anything due to inactivity.

Also, quitting before Icecrown Citadel was a very pro move, the way raiding worked then was that you could get an advantage by running it twice a week (10-player and 25) so that was what you did. Coliseum could be run four times a week (10-normal, 10-heroic, and 25 for both of those) and burned out more than a few people.

I started playing in 2005 (good old Molten Core days) and got the 3rd C'thun kill in Europe. Since 2006 I've gotten basically 80-90% of the first server boss kills up until the Coliseum that burned me down for good because of the lovely pvp encounter with the champions. I think 4 and a half year of consistent high level raiding was too much and while sometimes I think "what if I go play it again" since my old guild is still around, I think that is not worth paying a subscription for it with the amazing backlog of great games I have to play both on PC and PS4.

Just to name some of my PS4 backlog that will keep me engaged for MONTHS:
-Metro Exodus (just beat the first area)
-Yakuza Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 3/4/5 (getting the physical version on february), 6 and Judgement.
-Spiderman
-Nier: Automata
-The Witcher 3 Blood & Wine (just started it)
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Wrap up The Surge and Nioh
-The Evil Within 2 (I'm at 1/3rd of the game)
-Metal Gear Solid V
-GTA V (never played it, I'll focus on the SP and that's long enough)
-Death Stranding wich I will get it cheaper next year, same with Days Gone

And on PC I'm finishing Prey: Mooncrash and playing The Division 2 (my only mp game right now). I don't think I have room or spare time for WoW, not even to try one of these resurrect things. Best thing is that by the time I clear most of that, the PS5 will be out and I can still wait a year into its life and get it by xmas 2021

Edit: this is not counting on getting Cyberpunk 2077 (PC or PS4) and Ghosts of Tsushima and of course Sekiro when it goes down in price.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Shima Honnou posted:

I remember when Everquest 2 came out. It was like the Crysis of MMOs so I never played much because it was a choice of either lag to poo poo or set it to play-dough vision where it looks worse than EQ1 because at least EQ1 was a consistent style designed around the limitations of the time and not just blocky color smears.

Anyway, RDR2 is the second game I've refunded on Steam. I just cannot get it to boot no matter what I do so gently caress this poo poo.

Yeah, launch EQ2 was kind of a mess. They improved it down the line but by that point WoW was a juggernaut that they couldn't keep up with.

EQ2 also didn't have PvP outside of dueling for a good 1-2 years, while leveling was super slow, and there was no fast travel for several years. So they lost the hardcore players that wanted PvP, and didn't get the casual players that WoW did.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, launch EQ2 was kind of a mess. They improved it down the line but by that point WoW was a juggernaut that they couldn't keep up with.

EQ2 also didn't have PvP outside of dueling for a good 1-2 years, while leveling was super slow, and there was no fast travel for several years. So they lost the hardcore players that wanted PvP, and didn't get the casual players that WoW did.

It also looked like poo poo. Somewhat literally. Browns and grays everywhere. And every face you ended up with looked like some kind of weird kewpie doll carnival prize.

Then again if looking good mattered as much, Aeon might still be around.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, I can't recommend Graveyard Keeper enough.

Imagine Stardew Valley, but spooky themed. Having to balance corpse's as a resource is a lot of fun. Is this corpse high enough quality to work it over to make my graveyard prettier? Or should I turn it into a zombie to haul lumber? Or do I strip it for parts and burn the fucker?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tibbeh posted:

Closest I think you'll get these days is Post Scriptum

I'm still at the getting-lost-while-learning-the-controls stage as infantry, but this does look very promising for the WW2 space.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

I'm still at the getting-lost-while-learning-the-controls stage as infantry, but this does look very promising for the WW2 space.

I've played it a few times and enjoy how you're more simulating a soldier than engaging in BFV insanity but it really needs a consistent group of people to play with.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Anyone played that Soviet Russia sim city game?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Anyone played that Soviet Russia sim city game?

Frostpunk?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

22 Eargesplitten posted:

After going back and playing WoW classic, it makes me laugh that it was considered 'casual' at the time.

I cut my MMO teeth on final fantasy 11. All I remember was sitting around for hours trying to get a party to do anything, then getting ruthlessly murdered by a crab and disbanding.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Thermos posted:

After going back and playing WoW classic, it makes me laugh that it was considered 'casual' at the time.

Around when WoW released, I was playing Earth and Beyond. It had 150 levels of 3 different kinds of XP, you had to build (or have someone else build) all the non-poo poo equipment and ammo. And the materials came from a raid that was unfinished, and you had to glitch the flying space fish in a certain way or they'd just instant kill everyone in the system.

At the time WoW was a casual game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I think that is not worth paying a subscription for it with the amazing backlog of great games I have to play both on PC and PS4.

Just to name some of my PS4 backlog that will keep me engaged for MONTHS:

This is what got me out of MMOs in general. At one point I realized there was an entire year and a half worth's of games I wanted to play but didn't because of WoW.

Don't get me wrong, I still do a couple occasionally as basically single player things. I'm still doing dailies in Start Trek Online for reasons that I can assume boil down to mental illness. Once in a while I jump back in Star Wars: The old Republic when I want to basically do a free single player KOTOR campaign. But that's it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

In terms of games to recommend, I got 911 Operator on the steam sale for like $2 and guarantee there's $2 of fun to be had there. Some of the voice-acted 911 calls are legit harrowing. You never know when you pickup if it's some elementary school kid asking for help with his math homework or some chilling poo poo like:

"....."
"Please press a number if you can't talk because you've been taken hostage."
*beep*
"How many people are threatening you, please press a number for each."
*beep*
"Are they armed, press once for yes, twice for no?"
*beep*
"Is this a terrorist situation, once for yes, twice for no?"
*beep*

OK ROLL TWO SWAT TEAMS, AMBULANCE, FIRE/RESCUE YIKES

5er
Jun 1, 2000

All this WoW talk!

I popped back into the game myself about four days ago, because I never miss opening xmas presents. I think I got caught up on everything a filthy casual can immediately do within four days, and I've probably got a couple weeks of doing dailies / wq refreshes before I unlock BfA flight.

<What> is pretty much dead, and there aren't any other livelier pve goon guilds doin stuff right now, and I've got zero draw to play classic. It's kind of lonely but eh. Life of a casual

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

CainFortea posted:

Around when WoW released, I was playing Earth and Beyond. It had 150 levels of 3 different kinds of XP, you had to build (or have someone else build) all the non-poo poo equipment and ammo. And the materials came from a raid that was unfinished, and you had to glitch the flying space fish in a certain way or they'd just instant kill everyone in the system.

At the time WoW was a casual game.

I recall hearing lots of crazy stories about MMOs at the time, like some boss in FF11 that people were passing out after fighting for days. Poop-socking was not just a joke. I just find it funny that 'casual' just meant you didn't have to devote your entire life to a game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thermos posted:

I recall hearing lots of crazy stories about MMOs at the time, like some boss in FF11 that people were passing out after fighting for days. Poop-socking was not just a joke. I just find it funny that 'casual' just meant you didn't have to devote your entire life to a game.

The casual/hardcore distinction is easily the most destructive thing in gaming since 2000.* There are a lot of otherwise good games that I always feel mildly cheated by because I don't have time to do the end game content, which usually consists of some raid you need a dedicated group of people, voice coms, and 4+ hours to get done. Looking at you, Destiny.

*Well, as far as gaming as a hobby goes. We'll just set the rampant sexism, misogyny, etc. off to the side for right now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Learning to just pull an Elsa and Let It Go has helped my enjoyment of MMOs in general. I can always youtube or stream someone doing the world first if I REALLY want to see that content. Otherwise i'm just going to enjoy doing the things that actually spark joy for me and not do the other stuff.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

The Division 2 is cheap as chips with the Epic discount so I grabbed it. I do miss playing in a frozen, snowy hellhole as it's my natural environment half the year here in NY. Also the narrator guy keeps distracting me thinking back to the Cyberpunk trailer.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

priznat posted:

Frostpunk?

Workers and Resources, but I need to get back to Frostpunk, poo poo is good.

And Panzerkorps 2 is coming out soon. Sweet Panzer General action aw yes smear that poo poo into my pores

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Might have to try to play through Disco Elysium over the holidays.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Might have to try to play through Disco Elysium over the holidays.

Yeah, I'm hearing great things about that.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there a good replacement in the WW2 vehicle shooter space for Forgotten Hope/BF42? Kinda jonesin for some ww2 shooter nostalgia. Day of infamy scratches that Day of Defeat, squad level itch, but I wanna dive bomb some t-34s in a Stuka.

If your after the vehicle portion only War Thunder is a very, very good swap in for Forgotten Hope. Itís like the Ace Combat of WW2 vehicle combat. Arcade controls but a realistic flight and damage model. Itís F2P too (youíll eventually have to buy premium to get anywhere). Swap to combined arms realistic mode or sim ground once you get the hang of it for a much better experience; arcade is not good outside of the low tier/early war tanks.

I put probably 2500 hours into FH/FH2 over like a decade, mainly driving armor in the organized 32vs32 tournaments that existed for it, and War Thunder is the closest thing to that Iíve found; better in a lot of ways even.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1101827728234475522?s=19

Free on Epic Game Store today, if that's your thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1101827728234475522?s=19

Free on Epic Game Store today, if that's your thing.

nice, it's pretty neat. I played it on xbox game pass a bit. It kept my attention for a couple hours or so.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mazz posted:

If your after the vehicle portion only War Thunder is a very, very good swap in for Forgotten Hope. Itís like the Ace Combat of WW2 vehicle combat. Arcade controls but a realistic flight and damage model. Itís F2P too (youíll eventually have to buy premium to get anywhere). Swap to combined arms realistic mode or sim ground once you get the hang of it for a much better experience; arcade is not good outside of the low tier/early war tanks.

I put probably 2500 hours into FH/FH2 over like a decade, mainly driving armor in the organized 32vs32 tournaments that existed for it, and War Thunder is the closest thing to that Iíve found; better in a lot of ways even.
Yeah I had a ton of fun in some very organized stuff in FH. World at War maybe? There were some 'generals' that were basically playing Risk/HoI and then we played out the battles that resulted from their maneuvers and there were sort of officers and stuff you were supposed to listen to.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have a Witcher question. Or two.

Iím a super thorough RPG boy who lets his OCD out to play when it comes to morality in games. When I look at the billboard with different poo poo to do, am I expected to do it all? Is there moral implications to which quests I pick? Or should I just do them all and sort the morals later?

I donít want to join the army.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I have a Witcher question. Or two.

Iím a super thorough RPG boy who lets his OCD out to play when it comes to morality in games. When I look at the billboard with different poo poo to do, am I expected to do it all? Is there moral implications to which quests I pick? Or should I just do them all and sort the morals later?

I donít want to join the army.

The morals are mostly in the decisions you make during the quests, not in the taking. The game is much, MUCH better about morals and such than some RPGs that basically trap or trick you into making lovely decisions and railroading you into bad feelings.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

So Iím safe to just clear the board and do everything? Sounds excellent.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The tldr from what I remember is that your choices matter bit your not going to lose out on big chunks. Just play the kind of you you think your Garalt should be.

Oh and pick one woman (yen or trys) and stick with her. There a funny ending if you try to do them both but trust me you want to just pick one.

yennifer 4 lyfe

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

The only good part of Triss is her character helped me understand what gaslighting is and given other goings on at the time a lot of things started making a lot more sense

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you played Witcher 1 and 2 triss does not come across well in 3

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

A true witcher walks alone.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kun4VVGs7Po

Edit:

Hey PS4 users, here's a free Ghost of Tsushima dynamic theme

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/...genumber%3D3648

Capn Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 25, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

The tldr from what I remember is that your choices matter bit your not going to lose out on big chunks. Just play the kind of you you think your Garalt should be.

Oh and pick one woman (yen or trys) and stick with her. There a funny ending if you try to do them both but trust me you want to just pick one.

yennifer 4 lyfe

This is sort of wrong. There are a few choices that matter quite a bit. Content wise, you will be asked early on about past choices (this happens in Vizima, after the opening setting of White Orchard). Tell the guy that nobody died.

Much later in the game, you will be given the opportunity to shove someone forcefully. Don't do it. Both of those choices can shut you out of content and in a game that long, a lot of people just don't want to replay it. Similarly, the ending to the main game will the affected by your choices as a dad. There are 3 endings, one of which is because you were unambiguously a Bad Dad. The choices are not very intuitive so if the ending matters to you, look it up.

Lastly, partway through the game at Kaer Morhen you will have a chance to drink with your Witcher bros. Do it and go all the way with it. Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Playing God of War over the holidays and this game is like 1/3 fantasy action fighting and 2/3 Bad Dad simulator where you keep calling your kid ďBoyĒ and simultaneously being a helicopter dad and also giving Boy poo poo for not being strong/independent enough.

Also the combat is like 5% slower than Batman games or Sleeping Dogs, meaning Iím perpetually an old man missing the timing and getting my rear end handed to me by Draugr.