Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I can respect cop steelies.

Interestingly, my 2003 Outback does this, as well as using the ABS for stability control. They called it VDC, and it was a ~*special*~ option/model only available with the H6 at the time.
I can confirm the stability control part works, after having my fun removed drifting around a wet u-turn shortly after I bought it last year. I can defeat it wholesale, but I wish I could keep the LSD part on while defeating the stability control for snow/wet donuts. Not that it snowed at all since I bought it. I really wanted to take my new Subie out and do AWD drifts... (it definitely doesn't have to power to do them in the dry. Or worry about wheelspin at launch.)

I would suspect that installing an actual LSD would moderate the electronic one, depending on how much slip the e-LSD is set up to allow.

Can you use the VDC controller things the STI guys used back in the day? I assume it’s a very similar system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Digital_Jesus posted:

xpost for new ride:

DO A BURNOUT

*careens into the one person on the sidewalk*

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Can you use the VDC controller things the STI guys used back in the day? I assume it’s a very similar system.

Wasn't aware that was a thing. Must investigate!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Traded in my C5 Convertible for this nugget:

Getting used to a manual again has been fun.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Dassa good red.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A good trade. Z51 package?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

How does the C6 market look these days? The C6 Grand Sport is the most interesting to me because it's the cheapest way into the widebody C6, my favorite looking modern Corvette. But a standard C6 for $20K might make me rethink a Grand Sport. I could also spend that money into putting real sport seats in, a modern double-DIN stereo, and a modified factory steering wheel to replace the stock wheel that's shared with a Cobalt.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

How does the C6 market look these days? The C6 Grand Sport is the most interesting to me because it's the cheapest way into the widebody C6, my favorite looking modern Corvette. But a standard C6 for $20K might make me rethink a Grand Sport. I could also spend that money into putting real sport seats in, a modern double-DIN stereo, and a modified factory steering wheel to replace the stock wheel that's shared with a Cobalt.

I think you'd have no problem finding a very decent example of a base C6 for under $20k.

The GM parts bin C6 wheel isn't horrible. Could be worse, could be the one year only travesty they put in it the first year 2005 C6:

Sorry in advance if you bought a 2005, EvilBeard.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

Traded in my C5 Convertible for this nugget:

Getting used to a manual again has been fun.

:)

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

I think you'd have no problem finding a very decent example of a base C6 for under $20k.

The GM parts bin C6 wheel isn't horrible. Could be worse, could be the one year only travesty they put in it the first year 2005 C6:

Sorry in advance if you bought a 2005, EvilBeard.

No, it's a 2013 60th Anniversary Edition.

I actually missed out on a 2013 Grand Sport because it was located about 5 hours from me in E Tennessee. I contacted the dealer, sent some pictures of my trade, and while they were doing researched and looking over the numbers (because I wanted to be in the ballpark before I drove 5 hours), a couple came in with no trade and purchased it. I was super bummed.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

opengl128 posted:

I agree that the 2005-era GM wheel is fine. Yet you can make the C6 wheel look like it actually belongs in a proper sports car with some upgrades:

This is not possible with the C5 wheel, which will always look like it belongs in an Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The stock c5 shifter was always the big let down for me. That loving knob.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

The stock c5 shifter was always the big let down for me. That loving knob.

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Can’t believe they kept the C4 knob from the 80’s. Luckily the C6 shifter is a drop in replacement, putting a C6Z shifter in mine was the first thing I did to it. Felt a million times better too.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I had an MGW shifter on my C5 Z06 and quite frankly, it was glorious. I never should have sold that car.

Oh well.

From a few days ago. Not a lot of power at 11,000 ft, but it's okay. Still loads of fun as long as you keep it in the top half.

Garage status:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Doggo looks pissed that you're using it as a prop.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I changed the oil today, Dad happened to have one of his cars out. 13 and 31.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

^ ^ ^
Hot. I miss my vette.

dema fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 16, 2020

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

My new ride:

Ok, I know it's not a car, but it did cost more than the Saab.
Husqvarna GT48DXLS with the 42" snow thrower w/ electric lift.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

But what about that wagon in the background?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Darchangel posted:

But what about that wagon in the background?

We don't talk about the Datsun.....
It won't be riding anywhere for a while.

It's a 1981 Datsun 510 hatchback. I picked it up for $300 with the intent of working on it and engine swapping it.
Since then I've moved from NC to MI, bought a house, and started a major bathroom remodel.

I'm still kind of thinking about what to do with it. It will take significant body work. It's "relatively rust free for the age and model" but still a lot of rot.
For the amount of money it would take to get it where I wanted I could probably find a new project I felt more strongly about.
I know I could eventually get it done, just not sure I'm in love with it enough to go through all of that.
Who knows, might feel differently in a few months.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

nadmonk posted:

My new ride:

Ok, I know it's not a car, but it did cost more than the Saab.
Husqvarna GT48DXLS with the 42" snow thrower w/ electric lift.

Ugh, I'm so conflicted. I've got an acre lot in a dry (summer) climate and can't quite justify a riding mower/lawn tractor or any other form of tractor. But I've also got a big driveway and get several hundred inches of snow a year so a snowblower is in my future and really like the idea of something like that instead of a walk behind.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

nadmonk posted:

I'm still kind of thinking about what to do with it. It will take significant body work. It's "relatively rust free for the age and model" but still a lot of rot.
For the amount of money it would take to get it where I wanted I could probably find a new project I felt more strongly about.
I know I could eventually get it done, just not sure I'm in love with it enough to go through all of that.

Filing cabinets sure are cheap on the second hand market these days.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Steve French posted:

Ugh, I'm so conflicted. I've got an acre lot in a dry (summer) climate and can't quite justify a riding mower/lawn tractor or any other form of tractor. But I've also got a big driveway and get several hundred inches of snow a year so a snowblower is in my future and really like the idea of something like that instead of a walk behind.

We generally get 180-220" of snow a year. I got through last year with a walk behind, and while it worked fine, I will not complain about having a tractor for this that gets the job done a buttload faster.
I might also buy one of the front scoops, turn it into a little mini front end loader.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nadmonk posted:

We don't talk about the Datsun.....
It won't be riding anywhere for a while.

It's a 1981 Datsun 510 hatchback. I picked it up for $300 with the intent of working on it and engine swapping it.
Since then I've moved from NC to MI, bought a house, and started a major bathroom remodel.

I feel you. I have the AE86 that I trade my '90 RX-7 for. It's an OK car, but I've got my RX-7s, and the AE86 needs work I don't want to put into it. I did the stuff that comes fairly easily to me, or I wanted to try out on something I don't care all that much about (no rust, thankfully - just a small hole in one rocker [small by TX standards, so barely there]) but I don't really care about the car much. I just figured I could sell it more easily than the FC.

edit:

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Filing cabinets sure are cheap on the second hand market these days.

What, like as a sheet steel source? I prefer dead dryers, washing machines, and refrigerators. :) Worked for Mr. Wellwood and the V8 Firefly.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

I feel you. I have the AE86 that I trade my '90 RX-7 for. It's an OK car, but I've got my RX-7s, and the AE86 needs work I don't want to put into it. I did the stuff that comes fairly easily to me, or I wanted to try out on something I don't care all that much about (no rust, thankfully - just a small hole in one rocker [small by TX standards, so barely there]) but I don't really care about the car much. I just figured I could sell it more easily than the FC.

edit:

What, like as a sheet steel source? I prefer dead dryers, washing machines, and refrigerators. :) Worked for Mr. Wellwood and the V8 Firefly.

Appliances are often galvy, have weird coatings over top of that and stamped with vents and double curves and stuff. A $20 ReStore filing cabinet netted me so much flat, easily stripped 16ga sheet that I can do all the rust repair on the BMW and probably a whole other car's worth of whatever horror show of rust I drag home after that's done.

Besides Nad, if you're not in love with the Dat that's the perfect excuse to do the sheet metal on it. That way you've got all the mistakes out of your system when you have something rotten you _do_ love.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Appliances are often galvy, have weird coatings over top of that and stamped with vents and double curves and stuff. A $20 ReStore filing cabinet netted me so much flat, easily stripped 16ga sheet that I can do all the rust repair on the BMW and probably a whole other car's worth of whatever horror show of rust I drag home after that's done.

Besides Nad, if you're not in love with the Dat that's the perfect excuse to do the sheet metal on it. That way you've got all the mistakes out of your system when you have something rotten you _do_ love.

Yeah and an 18x36 sheet of clean, bare and straight 18ga was $10 at the metal supermarket. Cash discount.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Darchangel posted:

If you were to sell your AE86 How much do you think you would want for it?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Here's my 1-year-old (to me) B9 A4 in Gotland green:

First mod was an 034 Intake, followed by 034 transmission mount insert, OEM Black Optic grille, OEM Black Optic rear badging, 2.0T badge removal, and vinyl wrapping the window trim black.

Latest mods are 034 subframe mount inserts, Unitronic Stage 1+ tune, Vorsteiner 19" VFF-103s in Graphite, ABT Height Adjustable Suspension (she needs to go back in to get lowered some more), and '21 OEM RS aluminum paddles. I also vinyled the front chrome fog inserts black to match the rest of the exterior trim. On the fence about adding in black optic front rings.

Extremely happy with it thus far!

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 17, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

All Toyota all day baby

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Traded in our ‘16 Colorado V6 for something with a little more grunt. 2020 Silverado 1500 RST with the 5.3. Has the Z71 off-road and protection package, convenience package 1&2, Bose stereo, leather, trailer package and trailer brake, and the “dark essentials” which is basically black badging. Our requirements were: no chrome, Z71 package, heated seats, and not short bed.

Silver wasn’t our first option but with the option package and dirt-hide-a-bility, it ended up being the right one. I had put it out of my mind how expensive new trucks are but this was a pretty stark reminder. We ended up not financing just to avoid the interest fees and the looming monthly payments so my wife had to talk me down of a ledge all day.

I can’t get over how loving huge it is. Even compared to the Colorado; it’s like 8” taller, 7” wider and 20” longer. It will be used for actual truck stuff like hauling hay and animals other farm poo poo, as well as trailers with bikes and quads, along with the normal daily shenanigans.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Darchangel posted:

I actually have a couple of unused, factory original front fenders for it. Also two hoods, both of which are complete garbage (one was my fault, the other just too much rust).

The big problem is it was such an unloved model in the US, parts are drat hard to find. I'm pretty sure the salvage yard in NC I got the hoods and other random odds and ends from is about the only yard in the eastern US with more than one of these things on site. Probably because one of the old timers that runs it used to race Datsuns back in the day.

He even wanted to sell me a race prepped L20, which would drop right in. I was tempted, but having an engine that can only really run on 115 isn't super practical.

So should you find yourself out in eastern NC near Bethel, NC, swing by West Auto Sales and Salvage. They'll drive you out to the section of the yard you need to pick in with a busted rear end minivan with the doors and seats removed and let you pick until your heart's content.

I'm sorry if you need a hood for an a Nissan/Datsun A10 platform, I already took them all.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Yeah and an 18x36 sheet of clean, bare and straight 18ga was $10 at the metal supermarket. Cash discount.

I got like 8x as much metal as that (square inch for square inch) for 2x the price and the staff at the ReStore don't make snide remarks when I show up 37 minutes before close like Metal Supermarket does so I'm okay with a little extra weld prep.

Hell, when I priced these patches out MetSup was literally more expensive than buying replacement panels from the BMW dealer in town.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Diametunim posted:

If you were to sell your AE86 How much do you think you would want for it?

It IS for sale in the AI Marketplace thread - I've just been incredibly lazy about it.

Kinda wanting $3K out of it, from a goon, but I'm flexible.
Warning: it is not a GT-S, nor is it a hatch.

Recent pics:

Marketplace post above details everything that's wrong with it, but it's solid mechanically, and I drive it more or less weekly to keep it fresh.
AC even works, but has a leak I haven't found yet, most likely in the evaporator box.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That Weber <3

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I drove it for the first time in a couple months and found a buddy at the store.

And then I found a buddy under the hood.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What the gently caress is that ?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
foam that is deteriorating

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I got like 8x as much metal as that (square inch for square inch) for 2x the price and the staff at the ReStore don't make snide remarks when I show up 37 minutes before close like Metal Supermarket does so I'm okay with a little extra weld prep.

Hell, when I priced these patches out MetSup was literally more expensive than buying replacement panels from the BMW dealer in town.

Now you make me want to get a bunch of painted sheet metal for art purposes. I still want virgin metal for my car. Also a car that's requiring 8x more sheet metal than I had isn't worth saving.

I'm jealous of your replacement panel costs though. I paid $50 per rocker, and the same again for the lower rocker panel. I like to think that the cost was justified for the complexity and precision. Of course the same four pieces for a Chevy pickup would have cost less than just one piece.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

What the gently caress is that ?

Looks like mice made a nest out of the hood insulation to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Also a car that's requiring 8x more sheet metal than I had isn't worth saving.

I mean my BM has gone from 'a beater rally entry I'm going to drive the hell out of and then scrap' to 'a low-risk platform to try poo poo I always wanted to do (and/or came up with on a whim, often while not sober) but never had the gall or resources, while learning and sharpening skills wherever possible'. It hasn't been good or worth saving since long before I got my hands on it but it's somehow turning into a solid, functional car in spite of this.

E21 stuff is hilarious, 1/3 of it is NLA from anyone since the 90s (lol dreading the day my hazard switch dies), 1/3 of it is euro-parts-bin jellybean stuff common to 19 Volvos, 6 VWs and a 1 year only Citroen and 1/3 of it including the sheet metal is 'dealer only but it's cheaper than I'd expect to pay at NAPA'