Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Craptacular posted:

:( Ok so does know of a semi-auto handgun that fits this description:

1. 9mm
2. Reliable
3. Small & light enough for pocket carry
4. No external safety
5. Doesn't have a looooooong trigger (Kahr I'm looking at you).

Closest I can think of would be the LCP but that's in .380.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

Closest I can think of would be the LCP but that's in .380.

LC9?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

LC9?

External safety.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I found this and it looks like my gun doesn't exist: http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Edit: The Diamondback DB9 looks interesting, but it's really new and there's some inconsistent reports with its reliability.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 12, 2011

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Craptacular posted:

1. 9mm
2. Reliable
4. No external safety

When you find it, please tell me too.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

P290, or is that too big?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

It's a little heavy (though not as much as the PPS which I was looking at), but from posts on other boards apparently it has a really lovely trigger. Otherwise it'd be great.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

If SAO is okay, a Springfield EMP might fit the bill. If I remember correctly, SAO is the only time an external safety is kosher, right? :v:

Then again, it might be a hair big for pocket carry. But by cracky, I'd certainly be willing to try.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

FormulaXFD posted:

I'm trying to come up with a solution for my first carry given that on most days I wear business casual with fitted dress shirts. My slacks have some give and figured that might be workable. Next solution might be a tailored pocket holster. (I just completed my CHL course at the County Sheriff's office, whee)

owb+sweater vest

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Then again, it might be a hair big for pocket carry.

Bigger & heavier than the PPS.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Maybe the new Kimber Solo Carry? I haven't really heard anything about them, and I think they're SAO with a 1911-style safety, but it looked pretty pocketable when I saw one in a gun shop recently (at least for a 9mm).

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Craptacular posted:

While I haven't fired a P290, I have dry fired them, and I thought their trigger was totally acceptable. I think its a nice gun overall, but a touch bigger than I expected it to be.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Well I guess I need to try one out for myself, hopefully a range nearby has one to rent.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Craptacular posted:

But the EMP is infinitely cooler than the PPS, and that definitely counts for something.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Craptacular posted:

1. 9mm
2. Reliable
4. No external safety

That doesn't really exist. I went though the same soul searching a couple months ago and just settled for having another caliber and got a LCP.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Craptacular posted:

1. 9mm
2. Reliable
4. No external safety

No idea about the trigger but a Rohrbaugh maybe? They're supposed to be reliable as long as you replace the recoil spring every 200 rounds or whatever.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I shot a Rohrbaugh ~4 years ago, and it was ok, except the heel mag release is really terrible. Also they cost $1100.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Craptacular posted:

I shot a Rohrbaugh ~4 years ago, and it was ok, except the heel mag release is really terrible. Also they cost $1100.

I am looking at just sticking to IWB to make my search a lil easier.

hoping to grab a pps used at the upcoming gun show....

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

infrared35 posted:

I just picked up a BLACKHAWK! IWB for my J-frame Smith. It's pretty nice.

Gimme details. Good? Do they make one for a SP101? Cheap enough that I could try IWB carry before investing custom leather?

E: gently caress. Never mind. Not cheaper than other options, and not for a SP101 :|

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 12, 2011

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

It was marked at $65 but the shop was going out of business so I got it for $50. I like it a lot so far. The leather is very stiff though, so I'm wearing it as much as possible to help break it in. The gun is very secure in there, and you have to give it a good yank to get it out. Very good for engaging in physical activities.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Craptacular posted:

1. 9mm
2. Reliable
4. No external safety

Wonder if this would work.

http://www.bobergarms.com/

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I thought about mentioning the Boberg, but I've been following them off and on for at least a year and they're always "coming soon." There's also a pretty extensive waiting list right now. I'll get one myself eventually, if they ever come out, but who knows when that will be.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Ah, I didn't look too carefully. I thought the drat thing was finally out.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I wish. Today was actually the first time I checked the page since last September or something, and it's the same thing. "Another few weeks, guys! Totally serious this time!"

Edit: Only last time, I could find something about the list of pre-orders, and I can't find it now. It had over 200 names I think.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 12, 2011

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

infrared35 posted:

If you're rocking HKS or safariland speed loaders make sure they work with those stocks.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Scarecrow411 posted:

If you're rocking HKS or safariland speed loaders make sure they work with those stocks.

Never. I like to be taken by surprise. :colbert:

HKS loaders work fine as long as I keep the chambers clean and the rounds can drop right in.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Grimey Drawer

LifeSizePotato posted:

I thought about mentioning the Boberg, but I've been following them off and on for at least a year and they're always "coming soon." There's also a pretty extensive waiting list right now. I'll get one myself eventually, if they ever come out, but who knows when that will be.

Speaking of Boberg, they're hiring a machinist.

http://api.ning.com/files/T3JGY3uZV...inist_JD_V2.doc

Not sure what that means about the production of the pistol. Maybe they're trying to ramp up to full production?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Craptacular posted:

1. 9mm
2. Reliable
4. No external safety
Kel-Tec PF9 meets 1-4, some would debate 2 I suppose. It fails on 5. However it does have a low price. Maybe see if you can get your hands on one to try it out.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Totally TWISTED posted:

Kel-Tec PF9 meets 1-4, some would debate 2 I suppose. It fails on 5. However it does have a low price. Maybe see if you can get your hands on one to try it out.

It is definitely light and thin enough for pocket carry, but I think it is just too long and tall to fit in most front pockets. It'll either be jammed in so tight that drawing it easily will be out of the question or you'll have to find something with pretty giant pockets or have your pants tailored. For a jacket pocket it would be fine though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Totally TWISTED posted:

NFW am I trusting my life to a Keltec.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Craptacular posted:

NFW am I trusting my life to a Keltec.

nutnfancy on the YouTubes has been pushing the Kel-Tec PF-9 for awhile now. He notes in several videos that he's had to send the gun back to Kel-Tec several times before getting it to not fail as often but he still says it'll fail occasionally. I was thinking about getting one for when I'm jogging but with all of the problems people have had, I'm still searching for a decent handgun to carry while jogging.

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 15, 2011

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Boner Wad posted:

nutnfancy on the YouTubes has been pushing the Kel-Tec PM9 for awhile now. He notes in several videos that he's had to send the gun back to Kel-Tec several times before getting it to not fail as often but he still says it'll fail occasionally. I was thinking about getting one for when I'm jogging but with all of the problems people have had, I'm still searching for a decent handgun to carry while jogging.

nutnfancy is also insane.

If you really need a gun while jogging, how about an LCP?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

I would spend the money from an LCP on moving the gently caress out of where you are living.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

nutnfancy is also insane.

If you really need a gun while jogging, how about an LCP?

I've been hearing most of the .380 loads are way better now a days, more closer to a 9mm, is that mostly true?

How are the LCPs compared to other .380s like the Sig P238, Bodyguard 380, etc?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

I would spend the money from an LCP on moving the gently caress out of where you are living.

I jog late at night. Crime isn't a problem where I live but why not carry in case something does happen? Also I live near a wooded area, could be evil animals waiting to attack at night.

VSEPR
Jun 18, 2008

Boner Wad posted:

nutnfancy on the YouTubes has been pushing the Kel-Tec PF-9 for awhile now. He notes in several videos that he's had to send the gun back to Kel-Tec several times before getting it to not fail as often but he still says it'll fail occasionally. I was thinking about getting one for when I'm jogging but with all of the problems people have had, I'm still searching for a decent handgun to carry while jogging.

As someone who had once taken the advice of nutnfancy in regards to equipment, please take my advice in return: don't do it. Nutnfancy is at best a man with a midlife crisis and marital problems, and at worst a scam account used to hock gear. He's high speed, low drag, but not in the way you're thinking. Nutnfancy is a tanker pilot for some Air National Guard. His "law enforcement experience" entails being on the local neighborhood watch.

Nutnfancy will spend two hours reviewing a gun he's never shot, and a knife he doesn't own. You'll get more out of those two hours reading threads in TFR than you ever would watching nutnfancy.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I love my LCP. I like that is doesn't have an external safety and it isn't completely awful to shoot. It is also super light and I often forget I am carrying it.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Boner Wad posted:

I've been hearing most of the .380 loads are way better now a days, more closer to a 9mm, is that mostly true?

How are the LCPs compared to other .380s like the Sig P238, Bodyguard 380, etc?

.380s are at the bottom of the list of viable defense calibers for most people but they'll suit just fine in most any situation. Hell the Hornady Critical Defense rounds were designed to punch through clothing without breaking up too soon.

I've never heard complaints about the LCP and I'm sure it's easily the lightest of those 3 options. From what I know the Bodyguard shoots well but it's a fat little gun and the laser is effectively useless if you've got to break your grip to turn the drat thing on.

I've heard good things about the 238 but if I'm jogging I'd want a gun as light as possible.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

(Crossposting this to the news thread too)

I'm happy to report that restaurant carry (SB 17) was voted on and passed the Ohio House today. No, seriously, it really passed this time. In an unusually accelerated process, it was immediately sent to the Senate for concurrence where it was quickly voted on and passed.

The bill is now sent to Gov. Kasich's desk, where he must act on it within 10 days. If he neither signs nor vetoes within that time, it automatically becomes law. If it is signed or allowed to go, it goes into effect at least 90 and no more than 100 days from today. We have been getting mixed signals from the Kasich people, so we are cautiously optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

(Crossposting this to the news thread too)

I'm happy to report that restaurant carry (SB 17) was voted on and passed the Ohio House today. No, seriously, it really passed this time. In an unusually accelerated process, it was immediately sent to the Senate for concurrence where it was quickly voted on and passed.

The bill is now sent to Gov. Kasich's desk, where he must act on it within 10 days. If he neither signs nor vetoes within that time, it automatically becomes law. If it is signed or allowed to go, it goes into effect at least 90 and no more than 100 days from today. We have been getting mixed signals from the Kasich people, so we are cautiously optimistic.

That's kind of weird that if he doesn't act, it's automatically law, but if he signs it, it's 3 months until it becomes law.

• Locked thread