Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I got my CPL after a HUGE spree of burglaries and assaults swept the area. As the unemployment rate rises in our area, more poo poo has been going down. Also everyone in my family either has a CPL or is married to someone with a CPL as well, so it was really a matter of time before I got mine I figured.

Plus I agree with the Nuge's opinion of 'not being able or wanting to protect yourself or your family makes you the biggest loving coward.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Secret Ooze posted:

Plus I agree with the Nuge's opinion of 'not being able or wanting to protect yourself or your family makes you the biggest loving coward.'

Horse poo poo.

Exercise your right to own a firearm for personal protection, but don't look down your nose at someone because they don't feel they want or need a gun.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

M.C. McMic posted:

Horse poo poo.

Exercise your right to own a firearm for personal protection, but don't look down your nose at someone because they don't feel they want or need a gun.

I don't think he meant guns specifically, just that people would readily accept whatever a bad guy would do to them without fighting back.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

^^^^ Bingo.

M.C. McMic posted:

Horse poo poo.

I never said anything about 'everyone needing a gun' I just think that people should have some means of protecting themselves. If that means using a gun, so be it. That doesnt mean that someone with a canister of mace is less able to defend themselves.

By no means am I saying 'get a gun or youre some kind of mega-pussy,' I just dont know how someone could willingly put themselves in a position that if something were to happen, they would be totally helpless or at the very least at a severe disadvantage.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Okay, sorry. I wasn't getting pissed at you either, just Nugent.

Anyway, I thought the quote was specifically relating to guns. My bad. :shobon:

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

I got my CPL so I could shoot brown people with impunity. Also, get a gun or you are some kind of mega-pussy.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Black Stormy posted:

I got my CPL so I could shoot brown people with impunity. Also, get a gun or you are some kind of mega-pussy.

I :h: you

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

charliebravo77 posted:

I decided to get my CCW (FL non-resident; I live in IL) after reading TFR for a couple years. I applied for it shortly after I turned 21 and use it whenever I'm in a friendly state. My main reasons for applying for it were just to be able to add another piece of equipment to my 'oh poo poo' contingency plans; same reasons we wear seat belts and buy cars with airbags.

Florida reciprocity is awesome, but certain states who accept FL concealed carry permits do not accept non-resident FL concealed carry permits.

The required class in Florida is a complete joke. There was a guy in my class who couldn't even hit the paper in front of him. Seriously. There is a dude walking around Florida with a Sigma tucked under his shirt, just waiting for an opportunity to shoot anything but his assailant.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MrKatharsis posted:

Florida reciprocity is awesome, but certain states who accept FL concealed carry permits do not accept non-resident FL concealed carry permits.

Also keep in mind that carrying on an out of state license means that you don't qualify for the Gun Free School Zones exemption and cannot legally carry within 1000 feet of a school.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

cornface posted:

Also keep in mind that carrying on an out of state license means that you don't qualify for the Gun Free School Zones exemption and cannot legally carry within 1000 feet of a school.

That is a knee jerk law that needs to be repealed. It was partially for homeowners.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

HFX posted:

That is a knee jerk law that needs to be repealed. It was partially for homeowners.

The annoying part about it is that the wording of the law could seemingly be interpreted to include out of state licenses that are recognized by the state under reciprocity agreements, but the ATF has decided otherwise.

I only mentioned it because I don't think most people realize that the issue exists.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

I finally just sent in my TX CHL application. I took the class last December, I think.

Yeah, I'm lazy. :colbert:

So... 6 to 8 weeks and I should have my permit. :chord:

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

M.C. McMic posted:

I finally just sent in my TX CHL application. I took the class last December, I think.

Yeah, I'm lazy. :colbert:

So... 6 to 8 weeks and I should have my permit. :chord:

Isn't the class only valid for 6 months? Also, is it down to 6 to 8 weeks already? I got mine just before the height of the rush and it was more like 6 to 8 months.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

AR posted:

Isn't the class only valid for 6 months? Also, is it down to 6 to 8 weeks already? I got mine just before the height of the rush and it was more like 6 to 8 months.

No, it's good for a year or more, I believe. I looked into it online after you mentioned the possible 6-month deadline earlier in the thread after my previous question.

My dad said he got his in a couple months. He applied a few months ago... didn't seem to take long at all. Maybe the wait is longer now, though. Perhaps I should set my expectations a bit lower.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

M.C. McMic posted:

No, it's good for a year or more, I believe. I looked into it online after you mentioned the possible 6-month deadline earlier in the thread after my previous question.

My dad said he got his in a couple months. He applied a few months ago... didn't seem to take long at all. Maybe the wait is longer now, though. Perhaps I should set my expectations a bit lower.

I thought I remembered saying that once already in this thread.

It may very well be down to 6-8 weeks - I think that's what we were originally quoted, but it was a big mess back then.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

The required class in Florida is a complete joke. There was a guy in my class who couldn't even hit the paper in front of him.

Wait, you guys had to do live fire to prove your competency(or lack there-of apparently) to get the FL course requirement? I just did a VA CHP/Utah Non-Resident class and all we did was sit behind a desk for three hours, reading slideshows then getting finger printed.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

100% Dundee posted:

Wait, you guys had to do live fire to prove your competency(or lack there-of apparently) to get the FL course requirement? I just did a VA CHP/Utah Non-Resident class and all we did was sit behind a desk for three hours, reading slideshows then getting finger printed.

Michigan requires live fire time as well.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

100% Dundee posted:

No live fire for my class in FL...

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

edit: woops n/m

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

My Illinois hunter safety course met the requirements for my FL non-res permit and there was no live fire involved.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

AR posted:

It may very well be down to 6-8 weeks - I think that's what we were originally quoted, but it was a big mess back then.

I submitted my app right before the thanksgiving holiday last year and had my license the first day mail ran after new years. My wife sent hers in at the end of this may and got her license around two months later, but it got sent back once for a missing ZIP code.

There was a slight delay/backlog at the beginning of may I think while the FBI stopped processing CHL fingerprints for a week or two.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Count Sacula posted:

No live fire for my class in FL...

Florida just says it requires a "competency" test but doesn't really define what that entails so its really up to the intsructors. Most places require firing of A weapon(alot of places bolt a .22 revolver to a table and make you squeeze off 2 rounds), however I've also seen poo poo like requiring you to fire but using blanks instead of live ammo(a couple places got in trouble for simply walking out back and letting off blanks), or just simply going through the actions of operating/dry firing the weapon.

Then of course theres the places that flat out violate the law and don't do anything...

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Florida just says it requires a "competency" test but doesn't really define what that entails so its really up to the intsructors. Most places require firing of A weapon(alot of places bolt a .22 revolver to a table and make you squeeze off 2 rounds), however I've also seen poo poo like requiring you to fire but using blanks instead of live ammo(a couple places got in trouble for simply walking out back and letting off blanks), or just simply going through the actions of operating/dry firing the weapon.

Then of course theres the places that flat out violate the law and don't do anything...

Basically this. Colorado says it has to be an NRA class, but there's not really so much accountability. There are no legal requirements along the lines of "applicant must be able to hit a paper plate at 10 feet."

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Secret Ooze posted:

Michigan requires live fire time as well.

Yea, but you don't have to hit anything, and you can do it with any caliber. There was an older guy in my class who could literally not hit the big rear end 3' tall target seven feet in front of him.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Black Stormy posted:

Yea, but you don't have to hit anything, and you can do it with any caliber. There was an older guy in my class who could literally not hit the big rear end 3' tall target seven feet in front of him.

I had a couple of people in my class that fit that description too. Plus there was a guy who(rather than buy regular .22 ammo) shot tracers the whole time.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Mississippi simply requires that you fill out an application (notarized) and get fingerprinted. No test of any kind. Some time later, the permit arrives in the mail. It's something like $100 for the permit and $32 for the prints, good for four years.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Got a FL permit because I hadn't gotten around to switching my IL driver's license to OK (still haven't). FL accepts a hunter safety class as fulfillment of your training requirement. OK hunter safety classes are free :frogc00l:

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Black Stormy posted:

Same here, there was a guy in my class who couldn't hit the piece of paper seven feet away. The instructor wouldn't let him leave until he got it right, otherwise he would fail. I would also add this was at an outdoor range in the middle of winter. The guy I shared a lane with shot with a .22 revolver he had inherited.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Illegal Clown posted:

Same here, there was a guy in my class who couldn't hit the piece of paper seven feet away. The instructor wouldn't let him leave until he got it right, otherwise he would fail. I would also add this was at an outdoor range in the middle of winter. The guy I shared a lane with shot with a .22 revolver he had inherited.

The dude in my class passed. I'm not sure he ever hit that paper.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Black Stormy posted:

The dude in my class passed. I'm not sure he ever hit that paper.

My wife and I both had people in other lanes hit our targets at 7 yards. I don't understand how that is even possible unless you are just closing your eyes and hoping for the best.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

cornface posted:

My wife and I both had people in other lanes hit our targets at 7 yards. I don't understand how that is even possible unless you are just closing your eyes and hoping for the best.

i guess if you literally ignored the sights, put the gun out in one hand towards the tagret and just let your hand muscles spasm a bit, that would probably do it.

honestly I would not be upset if they made some very basic shooting proficiency standards a requirement for all states CHL classes.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

There was a minimum score during live fire for Texas, but like similar stories here the instructor said he would make sure you passed before you left. We had all kinds in our class: former police officer, current police officer, woman who borrowed her first gun that morning and when asked what it was pointed it at the instructor and said "this little thing" (Glock 26). She got a crash course in gun safety, but still passed the course like the rest of us.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

AR posted:

There was a minimum score during live fire for Texas, but like similar stories here the instructor said he would make sure you passed before you left. We had all kinds in our class: former police officer, current police officer, woman who borrowed her first gun that morning and when asked what it was pointed it at the instructor and said "this little thing" (Glock 26). She got a crash course in gun safety, but still passed the course like the rest of us.

Yeah, I think it's kind of weird that, from what I've heard in this thread, TX seems to have some of the more stringent requirements for CHL qualification.

I had to score X amount of points (hitting a full-size silhouette target) at 3 different distances. I think it was 3, 5 and 10 yards. It's ridiculously simple if you can shoot at all. Most people qualify before they even have to shoot at the second distance.

Then you have 4 - 6 hours of courses.

They also have a rule where, if you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. If you qualify with a pistol, you can carry either. Not sure what the thinking behind that is. :psyduck:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

M.C. McMic posted:

They also have a rule where, if you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. If you qualify with a pistol, you can carry either. Not sure what the thinking behind that is. :psyduck:
Pistols are more complicated. :rolleyes:
CA is the same way.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

M.C. McMic posted:

IIRC that part of the law was added to the initial CHL bill in '94 to get a few more votes. Most instructors won't let their students take the test with revolvers though, so it's pretty much a moot point.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

AR posted:

One person in my class failed the shooting portion of the test. I think he may have actually been Mr. Magoo, though. They said he could come back and reshoot at a later date.

Also, Texas has more rigid requirements than some states, but the classes tend to be a joke since the advent of the "all in one" class packages that include finger printing, photos, filling out the application, range time, etc. None of that stuff is supposed to count towards the ten hour class requirement, but in reality that is most of the class, plus add in a lunch break, and the requisite time killing while the instructor plays through his collection of bookmarked youtube videos and it is pretty much the end of the day.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

AR posted:

We had all kinds in our class: former police officer, current police officer

Why would a current police officer be taking a CHL class? All LE in Texas has to do is submit the form. They enforce the law so theoretically they should already know it and don't need to take a class. And since all a CHL does for LE is let them skip the NICS check, there'd be no reason for an out-of-state LEO to take the CHL class.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Craptacular posted:

Why would a current police officer be taking a CHL class? All LE in Texas has to do is submit the form. They enforce the law so theoretically they should already know it and don't need to take a class. And since all a CHL does for LE is let them skip the NICS check, there'd be no reason for an out-of-state LEO to take the CHL class.

The instructor gave us an answer at the time that for the first 5 minutes made a little sense and then later we all realized was just CHL marketing. Like promoting "you can shoot a cop legally! they put that on the books! that's how awesome you are!" when in reality that's hardly the law and definitely not the intent.

Basically he told us that the restrictions for police to carry and the jurisdictions where they could carry were more strict, so they take the class to carry more freely. Nobody in our group was sitting with the current cop so we didn't ask him directly.

Our guy was a one-stop-shop and it definitely didn't feel like 10 hours. Felt very realistically like 6 max: photos, fingerprints, shooting test, stamped envelope. Most of the class was Youtube videos and CHL propaganda like the police officer "facts" I mentioned above. Also lots of "I teach a lot of cops, they know better than to ticket my CHL students!". Yeah, I'm 0 for 1 there. However, I am happy the cop didn't flip out that I was armed - he actually ignored it completely other than saying "here's your CHL back, I will be issuing you a citation today, sir."

AR fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 10, 2010

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

AR posted:

Basically he told us that the restrictions for police to carry and the jurisdictions where they could carry were more strict, so they take the class to carry more freely. Nobody in our group was sitting with the current cop so we didn't ask him directly.

TCLEOSE-certified officers can carry pretty much everywhere in Texas, except for certain federal property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced IWB holster for a Makarov?

So far my research has uncovered a high end 145$ Kramer horseleather #2 holster, and the more reasonable Blade Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster for 70$. If I could find a ~40-50$ holster I would feel like I have choices.

• Locked thread