Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

lifenomad posted:

So I am looking at Comptacs website and the beltmans as well. I am pretty much settled on the MTAC slide, why shouldn't I?

For those of you who have "gun belts" what really is necessary to have? I see double layer non reinforced, double layer kydex enforced, single layer with a stiffener insert, etc. Also, do you guys prefer straight 1.5inch belts or the ones that step down to 1inch in the front?

Perhaps I should just try the MTAC with my regular belts for a bit? I am afraid that I am going to feel like I am wearing a lifting belt with some of these gun belts.

I am also worried about fashion :gay:

I would get a stiff belt. I didn't think they were necessary til I bought one.

I have one of Comp-Tac's factory seconds and it's awesome. i think mine is double layer kydex? i dont really remember.

It really just feels like a stiff, sturdy belt, doesn't really look conspicuous at all and feels pretty comfortable. really helps hold your gun in place. You just feel like your gun is more solidly attached to your person. It's hard to explain but it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

lifenomad posted:

So I am looking at Comptacs website and the beltmans as well. I am pretty much settled on the MTAC slide, why shouldn't I?

For those of you who have "gun belts" what really is necessary to have? I see double layer non reinforced, double layer kydex enforced, single layer with a stiffener insert, etc. Also, do you guys prefer straight 1.5inch belts or the ones that step down to 1inch in the front?

Perhaps I should just try the MTAC with my regular belts for a bit? I am afraid that I am going to feel like I am wearing a lifting belt with some of these gun belts.

Double layer belt with or without stiffener is what you want. Don't get a tapered belt unless you are going to be wearing it with an open jacket all the time because it will look kind of stupid otherwise. The belt will feel odd the first couple of weeks you wear it, but once it is broken in and you are used to it a regular belt will feel really weird to wear.

As far as fashion, most of them just look like regular belts to anybody else looking at you, most of them have chicago screws that you can undo to change out the buckle if you don't like the one they come with, and most places will let you return the belt if you don't like it after a couple of weeks.

Edit: having your gun securely pressed up close to your body will also expand the number of shirts you can wear since printing will be less of an issue.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

lifenomad posted:

I bought a wilderness because I rarely have a shirt tucked in so it never shows and it was cheap. I wouldn't wear it exposed.

Most of the higher dollar belts I looked at would pass for normal everyday belts. If you're a cowboy, there are twice as many options for you.

Kodo Zoku
Mar 6, 2008

Kommienzuspadt posted:

It really just feels like a stiff, sturdy belt, doesn't really look conspicuous at all and feels pretty comfortable. really helps hold your gun in place. You just feel like your gun is more solidly attached to your person. It's hard to explain but it's worth it.

Exactly this. I had no idea how crappy all the belts I had were until I got a decent (not really nice, but decent) gun belt. A really nice one (beltman, I suppose) is the top of my christmas list this year.

A quick anecdote:

I got this belt when my mtac showed up (my previous belt, although supposedly 1.5, was actually a little too big), and was carrying regularly for the first time. For the first few days, I considered stopping carrying, because I swear my balls felt like they were bigger. I convinced myself that, because of this, I was unfit to carry. If gun = bigger junk, then brain = too dumb to carry a gun. Then it hit me.

For the first time ever, all of my pants were where they were supposed to be, and the gun wasn't dragging them down. The seat of my pants was riding up higher, and keeping my jewels in place better. I wasn't used to the feeling.

Kodo Zoku fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 1, 2010

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Kodo Zoku posted:

. For the first few days, I considered stopping carrying, because I swear my balls felt like they were bigger.

thats just what you get when you carry a .45 :clint:

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Kodo Zoku posted:

For the first time ever, all of my pants were where they were supposed to be, and the gun wasn't dragging them down. The seat of my pants was riding up higher, and keeping my jewels in place better. I wasn't used to the feeling.

Pulling your pants up helps a lot with concealment issues, too because it lets the butt of your gun pull in towards your body instead of jutting out to the side where it hits your hip bone.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

cornface posted:

Pulling your pants up helps a lot with concealment issues, too because it lets the butt of your gun pull in towards your body instead of jutting out to the side where it hits your hip bone.

it will rest on your sacral curve :science:

Kodo Zoku
Mar 6, 2008

Kommienzuspadt posted:

it will rest on your sacred curve :science:

:gay:

Binary
May 21, 2004

One of my coworkers got the new S&W Bodyguard .380 and is nuts about it. From online reviews they seems pretty nice, barring a few with malfunctions that areassumably from being first generation. Anyone have an opinion on this piece?

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Binary posted:

One of my coworkers got the new S&W Bodyguard .380 and is nuts about it. From online reviews they seems pretty nice, barring a few with malfunctions that areassumably from being first generation. Anyone have an opinion on this piece?

Wait a bit before you jump on a bandwagon.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Binary posted:

There is absolutely zero reason for a DAO gun to have an external safety.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DJExile posted:

There is absolutely zero reason for a DAO gun to have an external safety.

Someone should tell that to AMT then.

Oh, wait, you can't. They're out of business! :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

cornface posted:

I have problems with this because my lovehandles get in the way. If I move my gun father back to 4 o'clock, the tail end of the magazine prints too much.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

infrared35 posted:

hahahaha god drat son :fry:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

infrared35 posted:

wow that gun is the most horrible thing ive ever seen

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Kommienzuspadt posted:

wow that gun is the most horrible thing ive ever seen

My dad has one but he never fires it. In fact, I'm not sure he's ever fired it. As I recall, it was their last-ditch effort to save their company by jumping into the burgeoning law enforcement semi-auto market in the early 1990s. The grip is weird. The trigger wasn't horrible for a DAO, but it came out before DAOs really became popular. Why would you spend $400 on a DAO AMT when you could spend $50 more and get a DA/SA Beretta (that you could actually find holsters and extra mags for)?

My dad's coming up again in a couple weeks; I should have him break out his collection of oddities so I can take some pictures.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

M.C. McMic posted:

I finally just sent in my TX CHL application. I took the class last December, I think.

Yeah, I'm lazy. :colbert:

So... 6 to 8 weeks and I should have my permit. :chord:

(^^^ posted Sept. 8th)

Apparently now is a good time to apply for a CHL in Texas. I got mine in the mail today. Including transit time, I got it in less than a month. :)

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009

I bought a sig p238 that I am planning on using when it isn't possible or practical to carry my full size gun. What would anyone suggest for a holster? I have a MTAC already but they don't seem to make a version for the p238 :/

Looking for another IWB but would also consider pocket carry.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Claw Massage posted:

I bought a sig p238 that I am planning on using when it isn't possible or practical to carry my full size gun. What would anyone suggest for a holster? I have a MTAC already but they don't seem to make a version for the p238 :/

Looking for another IWB but would also consider pocket carry.

An IWB as big as the MTAC would be overkill for the 238. Look into the Desantis Nemesis or some of the smaller offerings from Galco.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009

Thanks, ordered a pro stealth from desantis. Even has a mag pouch built in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Has anyone else seen "Conceal & Carry" on Spike TV?

Yes, it's as bad as you'd think.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Has anyone else seen "Conceal & Carry" on Spike TV?

Yes, it's as bad as you'd think.

Their website doesn't list that anywhere, you sure it was on Spike?

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

"Conceal & Carry School" is part of Spike TV's "Don't Be a Victim" block of programming:

http://www.spike.com/show/38842
http://www.dontbeavictimtv.com/

I watched one episode and did not like it very much. "Because Lives Depend on It" was a bit better.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Honestly, anybody that's watching SpikeTV for anything other than tits, explosions, and people punching people, is doing it wrong.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

so I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on some new night sights for my g19.

Ameriglo offers a great discount for GSSF members, so I am leaning towards those.

Are their I-DOT series good? I like the idea of the bright orange dot FS on the I-DOT Pros ut I've never used a 2-dot setup... either straight plain or 3 dots. Do these work for anybody?

Any other suggestions are welcome as well. I will be getting rid of a pair of warren sevigny FOs with a plain black rear. Miso gets first dibs on them because he asked way back when but if he doesnt want them i'll be putting them up for sale in the classifieds most likely.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.

Fan of Britches

I ran into a weird situation when carrying back in my hometown in Washington this weekend. A local restaurant/bar had the usual "NO ONE UNDER 21 ALLOWED" state notices at the entrance and an extra home-printed sign saying "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED ON PREMISES, INCLUDING CPL HOLDERS."

The sign was only visible once you entered the building and it was at the entrance to the bar, but you had to walk past the sign to get to the restaurant. I put my XD back in the car and had brunch.

On walking out after eating, the other entrance to the bar had the same pair of signs. Are those extra signs reinforcing you can't carry in the bar, or do they mean no guns on the premises for us non-LEOs? Best case is to ask, but I guess I was being lazy and meek.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

I'm not sure how things work in Washington, but if a store in Oregon says "no firearms" they can gently caress right off. If you are found with a firearm all they can ask you to do is leave. If you don't, you can be cited for trespass but that's pretty much it. In other states you cannot legally carry concealed in places that serve alcohol, but Oregon has no such law that I'm aware of. Typically for myself concealed means concealed, but I try to do business with firearm friendly places and steer clear of places that want to try and override my government granted license.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

so I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on some new night sights for my g19.

Ameriglo offers a great discount for GSSF members, so I am leaning towards those.

Are their I-DOT series good? I like the idea of the bright orange dot FS on the I-DOT Pros ut I've never used a 2-dot setup... either straight plain or 3 dots. Do these work for anybody?

Any other suggestions are welcome as well. I will be getting rid of a pair of warren sevigny FOs with a plain black rear. Miso gets first dibs on them because he asked way back when but if he doesnt want them i'll be putting them up for sale in the classifieds most likely.

I have two dot Sevigny's and they are the tits. Two dots are better than three.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

I got a question that I can't get a clear answer on, most likely due to truckers knowing jack poo poo about non-transportation law.

Is is legal for a trucker to have firearms in the sleeper cab of the truck(CCW or not but for the sake of arguement lets stick with CCW)? Some people say yes, some say no, some say you don't need a CCW because the sleeper is considered our residence while we're on the road. But no one can/does ever site any laws supporting what they said.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

BarkingSquirrel posted:

I got a question that I can't get a clear answer on, most likely due to truckers knowing jack poo poo about non-transportation law.

Is is legal for a trucker to have firearms in the sleeper cab of the truck(CCW or not but for the sake of arguement lets stick with CCW)? Some people say yes, some say no, some say you don't need a CCW because the sleeper is considered our residence while we're on the road. But no one can/does ever site any laws supporting what they said.

May depend on who owns the truck/cab itself. If it's the company's, it's probably up to them. If you own it, then you're probably OK unless you're in a state that says otherwise.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Your situation is already a "no" on its own merits. If the sleeper cab is your residence, it's not sovereign territory of the municipality your CCW was issued in (like a diplomatic car in foreign countries are considered). So unless your CCW is for the jurisdiction you are currently in, no, you don't get to keep a CCW, even in your "home". The same could be applied to any other type of weapon or style of carry.

Do you really think that carrying a pistol, even unloaded in your sleeper cab, is going to go over well in the People's Republics of New Jersey or California, just because it's a legal pistol you legally own in, let's say, Pennsylvania just because you have PA tags on the back of your "house?" Interstate transport laws wouldn't apply either, as you aren't moving from one fixed residence to another or going to a range/place of repair.

I looked into this type of thing briefly, albeit as applied to RVs (which could arguable be considered in the same class of "this is my home right now" as a sleeper cab) and the answers quickly came back as: it may be home for now, but it's not going to give you an additional firearms rights on the road.

Ninja edit: this is yet another reason why we need 50-state carry

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Motronic posted:

I can't even carry one state, let alone all 50. :saddowns:

Couldn't you consider the truck to be a place of business, and not a residence, then?

Acer
Dec 20, 2004
Inter arma silent leges.

Looking for an OWB option for my 1911 for when I'm wearing a suit / blazer... My MTAC tends to make my dress pants look funny on one side, and it's a pain in the balls to tuck a shirt over it.

This is what I was eyeing
Galco Concealable Belt Holster

I'd prefer leather, I think.

Any suggestions?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

thermobollocks posted:

Couldn't you consider the truck to be a place of business, and not a residence, then?

And what does that do for you? In PRNJ, you can carry at home or at your business if a pistol permit has been bestowed upon you. In DC, only in your home (last I heard).

In any case, I really don't see how it being you place of business somehow makes it sovereign territory or gives the space any special firearms rights.

I'd love to be wrong, but I've heard nothing credible in many years to make me have the slightest inkling that I am.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Acer posted:

Looking for an OWB option for my 1911 for when I'm wearing a suit / blazer... My MTAC tends to make my dress pants look funny on one side, and it's a pain in the balls to tuck a shirt over it.

This is what I was eyeing
Galco Concealable Belt Holster

I'd prefer leather, I think.

Any suggestions?

I would look at makers like Milt Sparks before dropping $100 on a Galco.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Motronic posted:

And what does that do for you? In PRNJ, you can carry at home or at your business if a pistol permit has been bestowed upon you. In DC, only in your home (last I heard).

In any case, I really don't see how it being you place of business somehow makes it sovereign territory or gives the space any special firearms rights.

I'd love to be wrong, but I've heard nothing credible in many years to make me have the slightest inkling that I am.

I'd love to dig up some citations for you (:effort: + work). In the laws I've read for Kansas and Colorado, being in one's lawful place of business enters into castle doctrine. Then again, Kansas and Colorado are not NJ or DC, and even so, I don't know if it confers any possession/concealment privileges.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Alright, thanks guys. Thats the answer I was expecting. I just could never find anything concrete.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Motronic posted:

Your situation is already a "no" on its own merits. If the sleeper cab is your residence, it's not sovereign territory of the municipality your CCW was issued in (like a diplomatic car in foreign countries are considered). So unless your CCW is for the jurisdiction you are currently in, no, you don't get to keep a CCW, even in your "home". The same could be applied to any other type of weapon or style of carry.

Do you really think that carrying a pistol, even unloaded in your sleeper cab, is going to go over well in the People's Republics of New Jersey or California, just because it's a legal pistol you legally own in, let's say, Pennsylvania just because you have PA tags on the back of your "house?" Interstate transport laws wouldn't apply either, as you aren't moving from one fixed residence to another or going to a range/place of repair.

I looked into this type of thing briefly, albeit as applied to RVs (which could arguable be considered in the same class of "this is my home right now" as a sleeper cab) and the answers quickly came back as: it may be home for now, but it's not going to give you an additional firearms rights on the road.

Also, just because a trucker considers his cab to be his "home" does not mean it isn't subject to search when he crosses an international border. I've heard that one more than once. "You need a warrant to come in here because this is my home." :rolleyes:

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Also, just because a trucker considers his cab to be his "home" does not mean it isn't subject to search when he crosses an international border. I've heard that one more than once. "You need a warrant to come in here because this is my home." :rolleyes:

Tell me again about the people who bring their carry guns with them to Canada and try to protest on 2nd Amendment rights or whatever when you find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Illegal Clown posted:

Tell me again about the people who bring their carry guns with them to Canada and try to protest on 2nd Amendment rights or whatever when you find them.

:lol: Or the journalists who get arrested in foreign counties and scream about how their first amendment rights are being violated.

• Locked thread