Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Nashville's restaurant carry law keeps going back and fourth.

I pocket carry a tiny gun and give no fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Nashville's restaurant carry law keeps going back and fourth.

I pocket carry a tiny gun and give no fucks.
Source? It's passed and into legislation state wide the last I heard.

I posted this in the news thread a bit ago.

Totally TWISTED posted:

After the TN legislature voted to allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol it was banned by the governor, then overridden, then a court in the state capitol found it void by vagueness. The law was reworded and passed as SB 3012, vetoed again by Bredesen (the governor), and again overridden. Which leads us to:

As enacted, allows person with handgun carry permit to possess handgun in establishment where alcohol is served, provided it is not posted and person does not consume alcohol.

Links:
http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/106/pub/pc1009.pdf
http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB3012

Apologies if this has been posted before but a search didn't turn it up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Totally TWISTED posted:

Source? It's passed and into legislation state wide the last I heard.

I posted this in the news thread a bit ago.

Well I'll be slapped with a possum dick!

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

infrared35 posted:

:lol: Or the journalists who get arrested in foreign counties and scream about how their first amendment rights are being violated.

Tell us a story, uncle IR! :allears:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

thermobollocks posted:

I'd love to dig up some citations for you (:effort: + work). In the laws I've read for Kansas and Colorado, being in one's lawful place of business enters into castle doctrine. Then again, Kansas and Colorado are not NJ or DC, and even so, I don't know if it confers any possession/concealment privileges.

What does Castle Doctrine have to do with interstate transportation of firearms?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Motronic posted:

What does Castle Doctrine have to do with interstate transportation of firearms?

Directly to interstate transportation? Nothing.

The point was that if being in one's place of business confers any firearm possession/concealment privileges similar to being in one's residence (and I don't know if it does -- this is only slightly related to castle doctrine), a successful claim that a semi is a "place of business" might help someone who wants to keep a gun there.

It's no crazier than trying to claim it as your residence. :v:

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

After spending an afternoon at the Parks Mall in Arlington, TX, I've decided to get my CHL.

I have a G19, but now I have an excuse to buy another handgun. I have a huge crush on CZs. Does anyone carry a CZ83? I know they're on the larger end of the .380 spectrum, but they make me drool.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

standardtoaster posted:

After spending an afternoon at the Parks Mall in Arlington, TX, I've decided to get my CHL.

I have a G19, but now I have an excuse to buy another handgun. I have a huge crush on CZs. Does anyone carry a CZ83? I know they're on the larger end of the .380 spectrum, but they make me drool.

Were you accosted by a hoodlum there? I'm not familiar with Arlington.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Skier posted:

I ran into a weird situation when carrying back in my hometown in Washington this weekend. A local restaurant/bar had the usual "NO ONE UNDER 21 ALLOWED" state notices at the entrance and an extra home-printed sign saying "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED ON PREMISES, INCLUDING CPL HOLDERS."

The sign was only visible once you entered the building and it was at the entrance to the bar, but you had to walk past the sign to get to the restaurant. I put my XD back in the car and had brunch.

On walking out after eating, the other entrance to the bar had the same pair of signs. Are those extra signs reinforcing you can't carry in the bar, or do they mean no guns on the premises for us non-LEOs? Best case is to ask, but I guess I was being lazy and meek.
They're just extra signs to reinforce the point that it's illegal. State law already says no packing in the age-restricted sections of bars for anyone except cops and employees, sign or no sign. Violation is a gross misdemeanor (up to $5k fine and/or a year in jail if convicted).

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DJExile posted:

Tell us a story, uncle IR! :allears:

I was a member of several photojournalism associations and there was a woman (American of course) who went to India to cover some very sacred religious ceremony that took place on a river. She wanted a unique vantage point, so she hired a noisy, smoke-belching local motorboat so she could run down the river and get some shots. She ran this noisy little boat back and forth at the religious ceremony a bunch of times and finally the cops came out and arrested her. A couple of the associations were banging the drum to raise funds for her legal defense, and one of them posted a statement from the woman in question where she railed against the Indian government for violating her First Amendment Rights and "illegally suppressing the free media." It was really pathetic.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

standardtoaster posted:

I personally haven't seen one in a while, but you could always get the CZ-82. The 9mm Mak is just as good as a .380. It's a fine pistol, if you don't mind one that has seen some holster wear. Plus it has a lot more Communist street cred. :commissar:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.

Fan of Britches

Helter Skelter posted:

They're just extra signs to reinforce the point that it's illegal. State law already says no packing in the age-restricted sections of bars for anyone except cops and employees, sign or no sign. Violation is a gross misdemeanor (up to $5k fine and/or a year in jail if convicted).

Thanks for the perspective on that. The location of the sign was confusing and I respect a business owner's right to restrict firearms on their premises.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Captain Log posted:

Well I'll be slapped with a possum dick!

On that note, today's American Voices!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/more-states-allow-guns-in-bars,18248/

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

infrared35 posted:

I was a member of several photojournalism associations and there was a woman (American of course) who went to India to cover some very sacred religious ceremony that took place on a river. She wanted a unique vantage point, so she hired a noisy, smoke-belching local motorboat so she could run down the river and get some shots. She ran this noisy little boat back and forth at the religious ceremony a bunch of times and finally the cops came out and arrested her. A couple of the associations were banging the drum to raise funds for her legal defense, and one of them posted a statement from the woman in question where she railed against the Indian government for violating her First Amendment Rights and "illegally suppressing the free media." It was really pathetic.

I hope they shot her. Did they shoot her?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Alright, I have a question.

I need to drop about twenty pounds but with that being said I am very widely built. Think of a 5'11 linebacker. This means that my love handles are my biggest nemesis.

I pocket carry as you all know. My go to clothes for my job are jeans and a t-shirt. A jacket if it is cold. In the music industry you almost have to look a little scruffy for people to think that, "You are cool" or what the gently caress ever. I also work with a BUNCH of people that would be very upset about my carrying even though the president of my company is very cool with it.

I have a G19 and a MTAC but the loving thing prints like a motherfucker. I really think it is my stocky build. I have tried wearing it everywhere and on so many different settings. I've even had cover jackets get hung up on the loving thing getting in and out of the car.

I eventually want to cary something bigger than a 380 pocket gun. What are my options? Different holster? Different gun? Different placement? Getting a love handle-ectomy?

Edit: Me on the far left. I would never have that long sleeved shirt on where I work. That was strictly for sun block.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

Somehow figured that code out. SCIENCE!

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 13, 2010

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Getting a love handle-ectomy?
Not the easiest, but you'll get the best results that way. The more muscular and V-shaped your torso is, the easier it will be to hide a gun on your belt.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Craptacular posted:

Not the easiest, but you'll get the best results that way. The more muscular and V-shaped your torso is, the easier it will be to hide a gun on your belt.

Yeah, my torso wants to do the V thing and then abrubtly fucks it all up once it gets to love handle territory. I've been way fatter and thinner but I'm always shaped like a drat block.

Eddie the Head
Jul 18, 2008

What's the consensus on the SuperTuck holsters? They look to be pretty good and have a couple of features that the MTAC does not offer, like crosses stamped into the belt clips and leather!

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

DRO posted:

What's the consensus on the SuperTuck holsters? They look to be pretty good and have a couple of features that the MTAC does not offer, like crosses stamped into the belt clips and leather!

I don't like mine (mini tuck) for the Taurus TCP. It digs into my thigh around 3 o'clock.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DRO posted:

I've got a Supertuck for the P226 and it works pretty well. If I use a railed SIG though, it does want to hang up in the holster.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

DRO posted:

The crosses are a rather big negative. Unless I could get them to stamp them upside down.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Double post, but this one is constructive. This was posted over at my local board by Tom Fineis, Raven Concealment's director of sales.

Tom Fineis posted:

I was present for a shooting test into ballistic gel blocks at a recent event. I documented every round fired (and fired several myself). I witnessed the shot, measurement, and the fired bullet of everything listed below. The odd wording is because its an excerpt from my training notes. It isn't written to be grammatically correct or published. Just crude, raw data for my own records. I thought I'd share:

Ballistic Gel Test
Hosted by Corbon

Brief discussion on what ballistic gel is and isn’t. It is not designed to replicate flesh, although it does so well. Its purpose is to provide a consistent test medium for various rounds.

Shots were taken from students guns using any ammo they wanted. Distance was 10 feet, and barriers began as four layers of denim, then became two layers of cold rolled 16ga steel (roughly equivalent to a car door). Results were announced and bullets inspected. Students could shoot a Corbon load in their pistol if they chose, to compare it to their standard loads.

Results:

22lr
Through four layers of denim:

Velociter out of Beretta mouse gun – 17” of penetration, no expansion

380 ACP:

Win Ranger 90gr, Sig P238 - 14.25”, okay expansion

38spl:

Hornady Critical Defense 110gr Std Pressure, Ruger LCR – 12”, very little expansion
CorBon DPX 110gr+p, Ruger LCR – 15”, full expansion (to .63 caliber)

9mm:

Win Ranger SXT 147gr Std Pressure, Glock 26 – 17”, ½ expansion.
Speer Gold Dot 124gr std pressure, Glock 19 – 19”, full expansion
CorBon DPX 115gr+p, Glock 19 – 14.25”, full expansion (to .66 caliber)
(My gun) Gold Dot 124gr std pressure, Glock 19 – 20”, full expansion (100% weight retention)
(My gun) DPX 115gr+p, Glock 19 – 16”, full expansion (Weight retention 96 grains)
(My Gun) DPX 115gr std pressure, Glock 19 – 15.5”, full expansion (100% weight retention)
Through 2 layers of steel + 4 layers of denim:
Win Ranger SXT, 147gr std pressure, G19 – Did not penetrate second steel (Weight retention 144gr)
(My gun) Gold Dot 124gr Std pressure, G19 – Did not penetrate second steel
Federal HST, 124gr Std Pressure, G19 – Did not penetrate second steel
CorBon DPX 115gr+p, Glock 19 – Penetrate both steel, 13.5” into gel, partial exp - .450 caliber
(My gun) DPX 115gr+p, Glock 19 – Penetrate both steel, 15”, partial exp- .44cal (100% weight retention)

40 S&W

Hornady Critical Defense, 165gr std pressure, Springfield XDm – 13”, Full Expansion (to .68 caliber)
Corbon DPX 165gr+p, Glock 22 – 15.5”, full expansion

45ACP

Federal Expanding FMJ, 230gr std pressure, 3.5” 1911 – 24.75”, no expansion
Corbon Pow-R-Ball 185gr+p, 3.5” 1911 – 13”, full expansion
Federal Hydroshock, 185gr+p, 4.5” 1911 – 21”, Ύ expansion
CorBon DPX, 185gr+p, 4.5” 1911 – 20”, full expansion
Through 2 layers of steel + 4 layers of denim:
Federal Hydroshock, 185gr+p, 4.5” 1911 – Did not penetrate second steel
CorBon DPX 185gr+p, Penetrate both steel, 15” into gel, Partial expansion to .52 caliber

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

DRO posted:

The belt clips they use are a huge hassle to get on and off your belt (and position on your belt once it is attached) compared to the Comp-Tac ones.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Article on Constitutional Carry in AZ by State Senator Russell Pearce:

quote:

Crime Control vs. The Bill of Rights

by Arizona State Sen. Russell Pearce

The entire world, driven by news reports, has fixated on the enormous illegal-immigrant invasion Arizona has suffered under for years.

The invasion had previously been ignored, a news-media black hole from which little information escaped.

The catalyst for the attention is my bill SB1070, empowering our law-enforcement agencies to deal with the invasion. We passed it because the federal government is aiding and abetting the invaders, instead of stopping them and defending the nation against a flood of biblical proportions.

But SB1070 is a simple criminal statute, enacted to treat symptoms of a harmful crime -- sneaking into our nation to commit felonies, leach off our successes, eat out our substance. A different law, SB1108, for which I am equally responsible, is the more important act.

SB1108 is no simple crime-control law. It repeals outrageous infringements to the Bill of Rights, reinstating wholesome fullness to the right to keep and bear arms. The media however, driven by a nearly fanatical racist miasma, blindly focused on the immigration-crime law -- finding racism where none exists -- at the expense of even noting the strengthened Bill of Rights, despite a packed news conference for SB1108.

Civil rights were reborn here on the same day the anti-invasion bill took effect, but this was ignored. While reporters cried racism, “Constitutional Carry” restored fundamental civil rights to anyone on the planet who enters Arizona legally. We've extended these rights to all people of Earth.

The God-given right to protect family, property and yourself from physical harm has been accepted since civilization's dawn. Our Founders ensconced it in the Constitution. This was uncontroversial and well understood, a deeply rooted basic human right until recently, when forces of darkness began attacking truths we hold to be self evident.

Arizona now enjoys more robust protection for the right to arms than anywhere on Earth. How could media pundits miss that? In times recently past, a law that frees every decent adult on Earth to carry a gun with no prior permission would have precipitated a national uproar.

Are the media just tired of crying wolf? They screamed about imminent blood-in-the-streets when Arizona's gun-permit law passed in 1994, but nothing ever happened (and they never apologized).

They convulsed recently, anticipating wild-west mayhem when gun bans in National Parks were repealed. Nothing happened (not even remorse for the fear mongering).

When Arizona's restaurant gun ban was lifted a year-and-a-half ago, we endured fantasies about impending homicidal frenzy from “shotguns in nightclubs,” but it turned out that breakfast at Denny's or lunch at Applebee's remained tranquil. No correction has been issued or is expected.

So should the media pay attention to a law that restores our rights, instead of one that hampers criminals?

Does it really matter that states nationwide now seek and are clamoring for Constitutional Carry for themselves?

So what if Arizona frees its women to put handguns in their handbags, go about their business, and return home without fear of arrest? The bill's chief advocates, the Arizona Citizens Defense League (azcdl.org) spent five years reaching this point. Americans are carrying guns but no one's getting shot? Who cares?

Most of all, why tell people that government's exit from the enforced-training regimen is a business-stimulus plan?

Private enterprise has launched the TrainMeAZ.com campaign to promote “a culture of marksmanship” and gun safety to every resident. This is Arizona -- learn to shoot straight. Marksmanship matters. Teach your children well. Why cover that, even if it is going up on billboards statewide?

Constitutional Carry and the TrainMeAZ campaign have ignited a firestorm of entrepreneurism, and rekindled a burning desire to restore the nation of marksmen our Founders envisioned.

I personally urge America to examine what we've done with Defensive Display, Castle Doctrine inside and outside the home, Burden of Proof, Specious Lawsuit Immunity, Firearms Freedom Act and more. Emulate the freedom of spirit thriving in the Grand Canyon State. Visit and experience life as a free adult, not a ward of the state. You may not want to leave. And if you do, you'll take the spirit of freedom home with you.

Russell Pearce is the Republican State Senator from Arizona legislative district 18 and author of the anti-illegal immigration bill SB1070, and the Constitutional Carry law for firearms, SB1108, neither of which are controversial in point of fact.

Learn more about the TrainMeAZ Campaign at http://www.trainmeaz.com

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Black Stormy posted:

Numbers and Data and evidence

I also carry 9mm 124g +P Speer Gold Dots, and it looks like i need to upgrade to Corbon to handle threats behind car doors. I have been woefully unprotected until now.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Roundboy posted:

I also carry 9mm 124g +P Speer Gold Dots, and it looks like i need to upgrade to Corbon to handle threats behind car doors. I have been woefully unprotected until now.

I run Cor-Bon DPX in my .357 SIG, so I'm waaayyy ahead of y'all.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Roundboy posted:

I choose to read this as standard velocity 124gr Gold Dots being as good or better than +p DPX at everything but overpenetration.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Propagandalf posted:

I choose to read this as standard velocity 124gr Gold Dots being as good or better than +p DPX at everything but overpenetration.

i just might do the same because all the replacements i go to buy will cost me near $1/round before shipping.

Unless I switch to winchester ranger or buy 250-1000 at once.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Roundboy posted:

Didn't the data only include standard pressure Gold Dots, or am I missing something?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

poopgiggle posted:

Didn't the data only include standard pressure Gold Dots, or am I missing something?

The data also includes standard pressure DPX data, only difference is its 115gr vs 124gr.

From the 9mm 4 layer denim test, it looks like the standard pressure 124gr gold dots are overpenetrating a lot more than the std pressure 115gr DPX's.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 13, 2010

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

Why didn't he do Critical Defense in 9mm or .45acp? Dammit, I need to know if either of my carry guns with my carry ammo can sufficiently penetrate a man in a car wearing a pair of jorts over a Canadian tuxedo :argh:!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

poopgiggle posted:

whoops, you are correct, all the gold dots are standard pressure. I could have sworn i read +p in there somewhere for thm

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

Why didn't he do Critical Defense in 9mm or .45acp? Dammit, I need to know if either of my carry guns with my carry ammo can sufficiently penetrate a man in a car wearing a pair of jorts over a Canadian tuxedo :argh:!

I think the new Crit Defense rounds specifically have that sort of ballistic tip so it doesn't expand too soon by hitting clothing.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

infrared35 posted:

I run Cor-Bon DPX in my .357 SIG, so I'm waaayyy ahead of y'all.

I carry DPX in 9mm :smug:

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

This was done in a class. Students were able to test what they carry and then shoot DPX through the same gun. Apparently nobody carries with Critical Defense.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Black Stormy posted:

This was done in a class. Students were able to test what they carry and then shoot DPX through the same gun. Apparently nobody carries with Critical Defense.

Because nobody can find Critical Defense :argh:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

DJExile posted:

Because nobody can find Critical Defense :argh:

Really? Even my local Bi Mart has it.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Really? Even my local Bi Mart has it.

All I've ever seen is .380. :sigh:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

DJExile posted:

All I've ever seen is .380. :sigh:

i've seen it in .45 and .40, + .38spl and +357mag. didnt have 9mm when i stopped by there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

My local B&M only has it in .380, .40, and .38. There isn't even an empty shelf spot for 9mm or .45. :sigh:

• Locked thread