Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

bipolarbear posted:

Is CT a waste of time on a G26?

If you want a laser, CT is still the best way to go, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!

My only concern is getting overly dependent on something that can get knocked out of place or run out of batteries. Irons are much less likely to fail on you. I guess it would be prudent to practice with both irons and CT if I you have it then?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

bipolarbear posted:

My only concern is getting overly dependent on something that can get knocked out of place or run out of batteries. Irons are much less likely to fail on you. I guess it would be prudent to practice with both irons and CT if I you have it then?

Correct. From what I've heard though, batteries in CTs last long as hell, and they don't move at all.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

I need a IWB holster for my new (to me) Kahr P9. Looking for options other than CTAC/MTAC.

GO!

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!

DJExile posted:

Correct. From what I've heard though, batteries in CTs last long as hell, and they don't move at all.

Cool, ty. You guys rule. TFR is unironically the best gun forum I've found.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

DJExile posted:

Yep - I have CT grips on my 1911, and there's no way they'll get knocked "off" or out of alignment. You need a tiny hex wrench to even adjust them. They're screwed on like normal grips with 2 screws on each side, so they're not going anywhere.

My brother-in-law always said he'd be worried about remembering the "extra step" of activating them, but they're made to be forgettable. A natural grip activates them.

I do hate it when gun store clerks sell them as the life-saving, bad-guy-scaring, auto-aiming defense machines (usually on pink revolvers). They don't hurt anything, and you might get a little extra confidence on what you're targeting in a stressful situation.

They're also great for flinch dry-fire drills!

:ninja: 2 years, no battery changes.

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!

I like the idea of shining the laser in some rear end in a top hat's eye as an extra gently caress you. :bustem:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

poopgiggle posted:

How is that any different from Barami Hip-grips?

NINJA EDIT: Except these are presumably being made for something other than revolvers.

The name and the materials involved, basically. :downs:
I meant the general concept, though if there's any significant difference between the two manufacturers, that'd also be good to know.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

bipolarbear posted:

I like the idea of shining the laser in some rear end in a top hat's eye as an extra gently caress you. :bustem:

Let me know how you like those. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but I think my G26 needs more laser beam too.

vvv Go bayonet or go home vvv

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 29, 2010

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!

I know it will look dumb and riced out, but I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from doing CT and putting a light on the rail from time to time.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Count Sacula posted:

Let me know how you like those. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but I think my G26 needs more laser beam too.

vvv Go bayonet or go home vvv

More laser beams? How about three more?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

bipolarbear posted:

I know it will look dumb and riced out, but I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from doing CT and putting a light on the rail from time to time.

So, consider this about lasers -

They require their own training in order to be effective. It is not as easy as "point and shoot". They can be totally legit, especially on guns with tiny sights that suck (i.e. snubbies, LCP, etc) but with a g26 I think you are better off just using the sights. that's my .02 though.

Have you shot the 26? did you like it? Try out any pistols besides glocks?

Also, if you get a light on the 26's rail keep in mind if you expect to carry it you'll need a holster that can accomodate it.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

cornface posted:

More laser beams? How about three more?

Only if it makes the same pattern as the one in Predator.

Sadly, I don't think that will fit in my MTAC...

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!

If you go by that theory that the purpose of the light isn't to improve your visibility, but rather to blind your opponent, then it may prove prudent to have 3 strobing lasers and a disco club worth of lighting hanging off your rail.

Edit:

Kommie, I have shot a G27, and my friend's .22's one of those was a revolver, and the other a Ruger Mk. III or IV. I'm not terribly experienced with pistols, but I have nothing bad to say about the Glock or its grip angle. My only problem was I really didn't feel effectively in control of a .40 even while using two hands.

Also, with the light, I would probably buy it just because I am a dork and like to have a ~$200 flashlight collecting dust in my safe. I'd mainly keep it in there in case something went bump in the night etc. but would not keep it on for daily carry. For my tastes, the Glock is wide and heavy enough as is.

bipolarbear fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 29, 2010

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

BPBear, the combination of G19 and a Streamlight TLR-1 for example is actually far from a heavy setup. Honestly I think it helps the balance a bit, especially on a full mag. I'm sure it's different on the G26 though.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

bipolarbear posted:

If you go by that theory that the purpose of the light isn't to improve your visibility, but rather to blind your opponent, then it may prove prudent to have 3 strobing lasers and a disco club worth of lighting hanging off your rail.

Edit:

Kommie, I have shot a G27, and my friend's .22's one of those was a revolver, and the other a Ruger Mk. III or IV. I'm not terribly experienced with pistols, but I have nothing bad to say about the Glock or its grip angle. My only problem was I really didn't feel effectively in control of a .40 even while using two hands.

Also, with the light, I would probably buy it just because I am a dork and like to have a ~$200 flashlight collecting dust in my safe. I'd mainly keep it in there in case something went bump in the night etc. but would not keep it on for daily carry. For my tastes, the Glock is wide and heavy enough as is.

Yeah consider the 26. subcompact .40s are pretty harsh, no matter the brand.

Flashlights are a great idea on a pistol. I routinely carry a 19 with TLR. Also, just another heads up, they do make extensions for G26 mags that give you a better grip on the pistol - I think htey are made by scherer or pierce? That will also increase the friendliness of the pistol for both range shooting and keeping loaded on a nightstand or something.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

I'm the kinda guy that likes to plan out purchases that will cost more than ~$250 and includes multiple items. So atm I'm trying to plan out purchasing a Ruger LCP + Ammo and accessories. I just need a little advice when it comes to a holster because I know exactly jack poo poo about holsters.

Due to where I work, the people I work with and the type of clothes I work in; I have decided that a pocket holster would be the best option. So I've come here to see if you guys could point me at a good holster that will fit my needs. The pants I wear to work are a little tight. Like not super tight but tight enough that if I just threw a gun in the pocket you'd be able to tell what it is(which I don't want). So something that hides the shape of the gun(making it look like a wallet for instance) would be ideal.

Opinions?

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!

Grip extensions are definitely a good idea, I hadn't thought about that.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Kommienzuspadt posted:

They can be totally legit, especially on guns with tiny sights that suck (i.e. snubbies, LCP, etc) but with a g26 I think you are better off just using the sights. that's my .02 though.

Agree, but while I know it sounds counter-intuitive at first - the laser is part of your sight picture. It shows up just above where your front sight does so you can aim naturally. It's not like it points somewhere else. Again, I'm only selling it as a solution for when you can't normally use the sights (stress or position), rather than guesstimating where you're pointing.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

bipolarbear posted:

They make the gun look more like this -

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

bipolarbear posted:

I could not imagine putting my sweaty dick grabbers on that thing without that little rubber part. Sadly, mine are not the +2 variety...

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Just so folks know too, having a pinky rest on a grip is only a comfort thing. You only grip with your middle and ring finger.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

DJExile posted:

Just so folks know too, having a pinky rest on a grip is only a comfort thing. You only grip with your middle and ring finger.

Eh this isn't totally true. I know thats what hickock45 says but frankly for maximum isometric tension it helps to use your pinky and get as much of your palm around the backstrap as possible.

porkface
Dec 28, 2000

DJExile posted:

Speaking as someone with a broken pinky at the moment, I disagree.

I can point fairly well without it, but I use it a lot in controlling recoil to get back on target.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

needknees posted:

I need a IWB holster for my new (to me) Kahr P9. Looking for options other than CTAC/MTAC.

I have no info for you. However, I would love to hear your thoughts on the P9, since I was just coming here to post about this gun.

My girlfriend wants to get her CHL, so I took her to the gun shop today so she could hold a few guns and get an idea of what's out there and how they fit in her hands. She took a real shine to the P9, and from what I can tell it's a high quality piece of hardware. Other than the two obvious ones (recoil might be an issue with the P9's light weight, recoil spring might be heavy for her), are there things I should be worried about?

Unrelated to the P9, but related to CCW in general, I used an Uncle Mike's ankle holster while driving long distances over the Thanksgiving weekend and found it very comfortable, accessible, and well concealed. Two thumbs up for this very inexpensive means of carrying my J-frame.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

kwantam posted:

I have no info for you. However, I would love to hear your thoughts on the P9, since I was just coming here to post about this gun.

I think my TP9 is a piece of poo poo http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362889

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

DJExile posted:

BPBear, the combination of G19 and a Streamlight TLR-1 for example is actually far from a heavy setup. Honestly I think it helps the balance a bit, especially on a full mag. I'm sure it's different on the G26 though.

My S&W M&P .40 + TLR-1 is lighter than my 1911 :3:

PyrE
Feb 1, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Took into consideration the advice of this thread and ended up buying a g19 and a MTAC. Have been wearing it around all day today and it has been amazingly comfortable. I can not recommend this setup enough.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

I am fat and find carrying difficult without printing. I have a P229 in an MTAC, which mostly works except for the end of the magazine sticks out enough from my body to print. I also have a Backhawk CQC serpa 2 that is way more comfortable for me to wear and I don't even notice it when I'm wearing my Comp-tac gun belt. The problem is that I'm fat and OWB is really hard to conceal without wearing some sort of overshirt, an oversized fleece, or a big coat. I also noticed if I cant it very similarly to the MTAC it conceals a little easier. I also have a habit of taking off whatever I'm wearing on top when I'm in stores like a mall or restaurants, especially if it's cold out, which would make me open carry and get a bunch of unwanted attention.

Any fat guy ideas for carrying?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

See if you can adjust the cant so that the grip hugs your back a little closer.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Kommienzuspadt posted:

They make the gun look more like this -

Adding anything to the baseplate to give your pinky a place to rest also makes the grip length the same as the g19 so grats on giving up your rail and having a shorter sight radius and lower capacity for nothing :rolleyes:
:goonsay:

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

thermobollocks posted:

Do you guys have an opinion on the DeSantis clip grips?

Funny you should ask, I got a response from Desantis on November 11th...

Cristina @ Desantis posted:

Unfortunately, there have been no updates from Management.

Looks like it'll be the same setup as a Barami hip-grip w/ finger grooves and with with soft plastic/rubber grips. I really hope they make it to market.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it. Helps a bunch. Yep...

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Don't do this.

Anyway, there are many good holsters out there for the LCP. If you are looking on the cheap side, Desantis Nemisis is a good looking sub-$20 holster for the LCP that people seem to review favorably. Highnoon Holsters makes a better looking, better material pocket holster for the LCP for around ~$50. If you are looking for something Kydex, Raven Concealment makes both the Mini-Phantom and their Pocket Holster for the LCP I believe, those are around that same price range as well($60 for the mini-phantom and $40 for the pocket one, I believe). Alabama Holster Company makes a pocket kydex holster for the LCP as well thats around $30. As you can see, people love those little concealable handguns and as such, theres tons of holster options available.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

BarkingSquirrel posted:

This is the best pocket holster that I have ever used. I have one for my LCP.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Black Stormy posted:

That was the holster I used when I still had my LCP and it rocked. It really breaks the profile of the gun up in your pocket, it's basically invisible. Well made, easy to draw from and doesn't easily pop out of your pocket, very nice holster for the money.

Honestly I might still have it... BarkingSquirrel, if I can find it are you interested? I'll look tonight.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Micromancer posted:

Adding anything to the baseplate to give your pinky a place to rest also makes the grip length the same as the g19 so grats on giving up your rail and having a shorter sight radius and lower capacity for nothing :rolleyes:
:goonsay:

Yeah I mean obviously I prefer the 19 but for bedside use or whatever when you're not concealing it no sense in not putting in a bigger magazine.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Alright, thanks guys(for reals this time :))

needknees posted:

Honestly I might still have it... BarkingSquirrel, if I can find it are you interested? I'll look tonight.

Sure, drop me a PM and I'll get back to ya after work tonight.

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.

Black Stormy posted:

Very newb question, but what pockets can you use a pocket holster with? I assumed it was for jacket pockets, but that link has a bit about "Molded to curve with the leg to reduce printing."

I don't think any of my pants have deep enough pockets to conceal even something tiny like the G26, unless the idea is to let the handle hang out of the pocket and cover it with a long shirt?

Second, more general carry question. I live in MN and we have that thing about businesses being able to post a sign saying "We ban guns on these premises." I haven't been able to find what that means in terms of legality. Does it mean they have the right to ask me to leave? Or is it a criminal offense if I just go in there and hope no one notices?

I'm asking because walking around a dark parking lot at night is one of the more risky things to do. Seems like they should give you an option to "Check your gun at the door" or something. On a side note, I have no idea who thought this law made sense. I'm sure the criminals will honor the signs, right? All they're doing is making sure none of the 'good guys' have a weapon while informing the 'bad guys' that it's a safe target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

darnzen posted:

carry stuff

The G26 is small, but I would never try to pants/jacket pocket carry it. It's much better suited for IWB carry. Pocket would be for something extra small, like the LCP they are talking about.

If you need a carry method for your G26, I and most of TFR are gay for the MTAC

• Locked thread