Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I've never heard of anybody being charged by a buck and i guarantee you the police would be pretty unhappy if you were popping off shots at a non-life threatening creature in a residential neighborhood.

I figured as much, and I didn't do anything other than stand there and wait for it to move. I was just curious as to the hypothetical situation because it made me think of the whole Rick Perry thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

M.C. McMic posted:

I figured as much, and I didn't do anything other than stand there and wait for it to move. I was just curious as to the hypothetical situation because it made me think of the whole Rick Perry thing.

Rick Perry shot a coyote, which are a bit more likely to attack a dog than a buck. Also, in the southwest (at least in some states; I'm not sure about Texas), coyotes are considered vermin, while deer are considered game.

Lastly, Rick Perry's the governor.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

thermobollocks posted:

Lastly, Rick Perry's the governor.

Yep, Rick Perry can kill whoever/whatever he wants, coyotes, innocent men on death row....

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yep, Rick Perry can kill whoever/whatever he wants, coyotes, innocent men on death row....

Rick never personally kills any innocent men on death row. He lets his good buddy The 'Nuge do that for him.

Also, "Officer, that buck was committing a crime under darkness of night. It's in the handbook!"

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

I hit a deer one night hard enough to stun it but not enough to set off my air bag or do damage to my fender. As I inspected my car, it lay in the road still moving slightly. Not knowing a whole lot of how to handle this, I did get as far as thinking I needed to get it out of the road, and that wouldn't be possible while it was capable of braining me with his hooves.

As I advanced on it, it sat up which really got me concerned. It was a relief to have it jump to its feet a few seconds later and dart off into the woods rather than try and take it down because having to explain the shots fired to the Arnold Air Force base police would have been a problem.

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Edit: NM

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

How do you guys know I'm not important enough to shoot furry things in my neighborhood? :colbert:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

M.C. McMic posted:

How do you guys know I'm not important enough to shoot furry things in my neighborhood? :colbert:

If you have to ask, you're not. :smugbert:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

LCPs arent really guns anyway so its different.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

:allears:

Shoulder Holsters!

I want to try something different and perhaps more comfortable for winter carry (and the several long intrastate car trips I'll be making). Currently I either rock the C-TAC or Minotaur Gladiator.

Gun in Question: Glock 19

Specifically, I want to know
-If anyone here ever uses them for G19
-Philosophical/safety concerns: you're sweeping people/things when you have it in holster, is this a big deal? or is it mitigated by the fact that its secured glock that can't accidentally go off?
-What models and brands come goon recommended?

Thoughts?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

The problem isn't that it's sweeping people in the holster, it's that it's impossible to draw from one without sweeping everyone (including yourself) in a 180degree arc.

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.
This is probably a very basic question (or a series of related ones), but I'm a newb so I have no shame. How do you guys deal with the transition in and out of a car?

Do you just keep your weapon IWB and hope to find a comfortable sitting position? If so, can you still get to it if you need it? Or do you remove the holster and/or pistol and toss it on the seat next to you? Do you have an under-dash holster? Use the glove box? Have a car safe?

Getting out of the car do you try to holster / conceal before exiting the car? Or just after getting out?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Mine is comfortable to wear IWB in the car. I'd need to lean forward a bit to draw, but I don't think that's a big deal. I'm not really worried about being approached in my car. I carry for the trips to and from the car.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 8, 2010

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I dont have any problems just hopping in the car. I can draw from seated if it comes down to it, but if Im in the car it might be easier to just drive away from a confrontation.

I carry all day every day. If Im going someplace where carrying is frowned upon, Ill just leave my pistol in the center console of my car and reholster it when I get back.

Most of the time I forget I even have it on.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

darnzen posted:

This is probably a very basic question (or a series of related ones), but I'm a newb so I have no shame. How do you guys deal with the transition in and out of a car?

Do you just keep your weapon IWB and hope to find a comfortable sitting position? If so, can you still get to it if you need it? Or do you remove the holster and/or pistol and toss it on the seat next to you? Do you have an under-dash holster? Use the glove box? Have a car safe?

Getting out of the car do you try to holster / conceal before exiting the car? Or just after getting out?

Put your gun in your holster when you leave and then don't mess with it until you take it off is usually the best strategy. If I'm going to be driving a long way sometimes I'll wear my holster closer to 3:00 than normal, but if you have a comfortable holster it really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

I wear my MTAC/G19 around 4 o'clock. So, I take my gun out of my holster and put it in the center console for longer trips. It's comfortable enough wearing just the holster without the gun in it.

For shorter trips, I just leave the gun in the holster.

Also,

Nafix posted:

Shoulder Holsters!

I want to try something different and perhaps more comfortable for winter carry (and the several long intrastate car trips I'll be making). Currently I either rock the C-TAC or Minotaur Gladiator.

Gun in Question: Glock 19

Specifically, I want to know
-If anyone here ever uses them for G19
-Philosophical/safety concerns: you're sweeping people/things when you have it in holster, is this a big deal? or is it mitigated by the fact that its secured glock that can't accidentally go off?
-What models and brands come goon recommended?

Thoughts?

Many ranges, including my own, do not allow you to draw from shoulder holsters. This is obviously due to the fact that you're sweeping everyone to your right or left every time you draw.

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 8, 2010

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.

cornface posted:

Put your gun in your holster when you leave and then don't mess with it until you take it off is usually the best strategy. If I'm going to be driving a long way sometimes I'll wear my holster closer to 3:00 than normal, but if you have a comfortable holster it really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Good advice. I have a sporty car with pretty deep bucket seats that form fit my back. I was worried that this would make it a nightmare on my hip/kidney or something. Maybe I'll have to try some different options. There have been lots of good holster recommendations in this thread. Can holsters typically be returned if they don't work out? I suppose its kind of like buying a pair of shoes you never wear.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Comp-tac's return policy exists for exactly that reason. Many other holster makers offer similar 'no questions asked' returns.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

M.C. McMic posted:

Many ranges, including my own, do not allow you to draw from shoulder holsters. This is obviously due to the fact that you're sweeping everyone to your right or left every time you draw.

That's one of the reasons I don't use shoulder holsters, but I do own two. One is for under the arm but points the gun down, so you never sweep anyone, unless you bend over. I bought it for a costume, but if I ever used it, it can be drawn without sweeping the sides. It requires lifting up the gun, pointing it forward, then flipping it over It's a bit impractical. The other one I own is a military one designed to be placed on the chest area. Again, the draw on that one is just lifting up, pointing out, and turning over, but it's only a more natural 90 degree turn and not 180. That is still a military thing designed for people who are in vehicles. For daily carry I always use IWB. I'd wear it in a cross draw position in winter before I would ever use a shoulder holster.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Illegal Clown posted:

That's one of the reasons I don't use shoulder holsters, but I do own two. One is for under the arm but points the gun down, so you never sweep anyone, unless you bend over. I bought it for a costume, but if I ever used it, it can be drawn without sweeping the sides. It requires lifting up the gun, pointing it forward, then flipping it over It's a bit impractical. The other one I own is a military one designed to be placed on the chest area. Again, the draw on that one is just lifting up, pointing out, and turning over, but it's only a more natural 90 degree turn and not 180. That is still a military thing designed for people who are in vehicles. For daily carry I always use IWB. I'd wear it in a cross draw position in winter before I would ever use a shoulder holster.

They also have break-away holsters where you pull the gun through a snap so that it remains pointed down.

The guy who did my range orientation class said that he actually owned one of these (before he moved to Texas) and loved it. However, they're still not allowed at my range because I guess they figure people's natural range of motion when drawing from one would still tend to sweep people.

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.

kuffs posted:

Comp-tac's return policy exists for exactly that reason. Many other holster makers offer similar 'no questions asked' returns.

Anyone use an MTAC with a Browning HP? It's not listed as an option but I suppose a 1911 version would work?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

darnzen posted:

Anyone use an MTAC with a Browning HP? It's not listed as an option but I suppose a 1911 version would work?
Hi-Powers will usually fit leather or nylon 1911 holsters since the shapes are so similar and the materials are flexible, but form-fitting Kydex may be a problem. I would say try a 5" (Gov't size) MTAC and see if it works - you can always return it, or, if you hold a strong disdain for warranties like I do, just use a heat gun to modify the kydex shell to fit.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

:allears:

So the shoulder style out, what are other OWB options that might work with the G19 for winter carry? Something that rides high/close? Suggestions? (Sometimes I use the Minotaur Gladiator, but it rides pretty low)

I have some Glaco OWB that works great for the J-Frame, though I canít remember the name of the holster for the life of me.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

kuffs posted:

...it's impossible to draw from one without sweeping everyone (including yourself) in a 180degree arc.

Groupthink: Alive and Well.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

So you're supposed to chicken-wing while you draw? I don't understand how you avoid sweeping your arm with any sort of natural motion.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Ohio now has a "CCW in bars/restaurants" moving through the state senate I believe. Sounds like it should pass.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

Ohio now has a "CCW in bars/restaurants" moving through the state senate I believe. Sounds like it should pass.

I believe the news megathread had it stalled procedurally.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

I believe the news megathread had it stalled procedurally.

Oh mother fucker

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

kuffs posted:

So you're supposed to chicken-wing while you draw? I don't understand how you avoid sweeping your arm with any sort of natural motion.

Picture a gun in a vertical shoulder holster. The muzzle is pointed straight down at the ground. As you draw it, perhaps the muzzle points a few degrees behind you as you pull the butt of the gun forward to clear it from the holster. After the gun is clear of the holster, the muzzle is still pointed at the ground. Now imagine using the gun as a laser pointer to trace a straight line from where the muzzle is - pointed at the ground at your feet - up to your target, which is presumably in front of you. You rotate the gun as it moves through this arc, until the gun is on target and you're holding it upright. At no point does your muzzle cross any part of your body, nor does it cross any innocent bystanders, unless they're between you and your target.

The same technique can be used with a horizontal shoulder holster, it's just that your muzzle starts out pointing behind you. It's not difficult to master.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

It sounds a bit awkward, but trainable. Thank you ir35 :cop::respek::hist101:

At least I can feel less guilty about wanting a shoulder holster for fun

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DJExile posted:

Oh mother fucker

Yep, I went on a frothing rant about it in the news thread. It will easily pass both houses in the next legislature, but now the question is whether Kasich will sign it. He's not been the most gun-friendly Republican in the past.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Moved to Austin recently, planning on practicing more and then going for a CHL. Any Austin goons have suggestions for where to take the class at? I've been looking at Eagle Peak and Lone Star Range. I'll be using a Glock 23 if anyone cares. I got it last summer but haven't had much time to practice since then. Prolly only put about 1500 rounds through it so far.

I'm also open to range suggestions...a friend of mine likes Eagle Peak but they're up in Leander. I'm in North Central (Rundberg & Lamar) and want to find a place I can just hop over to and fire away.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Jose Pointero posted:

Moved to Austin recently, planning on practicing more and then going for a CHL. Any Austin goons have suggestions for where to take the class at? I've been looking at Eagle Peak and Lone Star Range. I'll be using a Glock 23 if anyone cares. I got it last summer but haven't had much time to practice since then. Prolly only put about 1500 rounds through it so far.

I'm also open to range suggestions...a friend of mine likes Eagle Peak but they're up in Leander. I'm in North Central (Rundberg & Lamar) and want to find a place I can just hop over to and fire away.

I drove down to Lone Star gun range for the qualification portion of my CHL class. However, I didn't take the class through the range itself. I don't have much of opinion on it because I was only on the pistol range briefly, and I had no dealings with the actual staff outside of signing in.

The reviews I've read about Eagle Peak are really up and down. I've never been there myself, but I've seen plenty of rants online about the staff there. Apparently the range is really nice, though. So, if you feel comfortable that you're not going to be yelled at, I'd say go for it.

Looks like you're not too far from Red's North either.

I just joined the Austin Rifle Club. I'm gonna try that out for a year or two... see if I like it. Seems like a really nice facility so far.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

infrared35 posted:

Picture a gun in a vertical shoulder holster. The muzzle is pointed straight down at the ground. As you draw it, perhaps the muzzle points a few degrees behind you as you pull the butt of the gun forward to clear it from the holster. After the gun is clear of the holster, the muzzle is still pointed at the ground. Now imagine using the gun as a laser pointer to trace a straight line from where the muzzle is - pointed at the ground at your feet - up to your target, which is presumably in front of you. You rotate the gun as it moves through this arc, until the gun is on target and you're holding it upright. At no point does your muzzle cross any part of your body, nor does it cross any innocent bystanders, unless they're between you and your target.

The same technique can be used with a horizontal shoulder holster, it's just that your muzzle starts out pointing behind you. It's not difficult to master.

Thanks, you explained it better than I did. It just feels unnatural at first and you really have to practice to make it second nature. I can see why ranges would not allow shoulder holsters. Of course that doesn't stop people with regular holsters or no holster from sweeping the guy to their left or right when they reload.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

Jose Pointero posted:

Unfortunately there is no place like that. Red's cycles employees often, but only the douchebags remain constant. It's expensive, too.

Get a membership at the Austin Rifle Club in Manor. I lived at Burnett and 183, and it look me 20 minutes to get out there WITH traffic. You're right near 290, so you're close than I was. It's $100 to apply, and $100 a year. After that first year, it's dirt cheap since the $100 is a one-time fee. It's safe, peaceful, and they just built some sweet action shooting bays. Since it's not hourly, you can relax and take your time - it was nearly empty around 4PM whenver I went -- weekends get busy. You also have to take a safety class and qualify shooting to be a member, but it's meant to let everyone who doesn't kill somebody during the test pass.

At Red's, $14/hr with a 1 hour minimum... it only takes 14 range trips in a year to equal the first year of membership. Every year after that, 7 range trips per year. I went about 100 times when I joined up - whenever I felt like it.

I got my CHL in Fort Worth though, but I heard Eagle Peak and the others in Austin were "scare you out of every firing a gun" courses more than anything else. Maybe that's a good thing.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

AR posted:

Get a membership at the Austin Rifle Club in Manor. I lived at Burnett and 183, and it look me 20 minutes to get out there WITH traffic. You're right near 290, so you're close than I was. It's $100 to apply, and $100 a year. After that first year, it's dirt cheap since the $100 is a one-time fee. It's safe, peaceful, and they just built some sweet action shooting bays. Since it's not hourly, you can relax and take your time - it was nearly empty around 4PM whenver I went -- weekends get busy. You also have to take a safety class and qualify shooting to be a member, but it's meant to let everyone who doesn't kill somebody during the test pass.

At Red's, $14/hr with a 1 hour minimum... it only takes 14 range trips in a year to equal the first year of membership. Every year after that, 7 range trips per year. I went about 100 times when I joined up - whenever I felt like it.

This is why I joined ARC. I've been to Red's a few times, and it's just ridiculously expensive. Anyway, I pick up my ARC badge next Thursday!

Now I just need to buy a .22 so I don't shoot myself into the poorhouse.

BTW, the ARC Range Orientation class is the most boring, tedious thing ever... 3 hours of listening to a guy go over the every rule of EVERY... SINGLE... RANGE... "A" through "L". It was so loving dumb. They could have gone over all the necessary material in 45 minutes and then said, "read the website and read the loving signs posted at each range. See ya." It was unnecessarily painful.

Oh yeah, and then you get to shoot around 7 rounds to qualify... such a cock tease. :flaccid:

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 9, 2010

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Wow that was quick. Thanks for the info guys. I'm assuming you can shoot handguns at ARC?

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Jose Pointero posted:

Wow that was quick. Thanks for the info guys. I'm assuming you can shoot handguns at ARC?

You can shoot anything from air guns up to .50BMG.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

M.C. McMic posted:

You can shoot anything from air guns up to .50BMG.
Cool, I'm gonna have to check that place out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

M.C. McMic posted:

This is why I joined ARC. I've been to Red's a few times, and it's just ridiculously expensive. Anyway, I pick up my ARC badge next Thursday!

Now I just need to buy a .22 so I don't shoot myself into the poorhouse.

BTW, the ARC Range Orientation class is the most boring, tedious thing ever... 3 hours of listening to a guy go over the every rule of EVERY... SINGLE... RANGE... "A" through "L". It was so loving dumb. They could have gone over all the necessary material in 45 minutes and then said, "read the website and read the loving signs posted at each range. See ya." It was unnecessarily painful.

Oh yeah, and then you get to shoot around 7 rounds to qualify... such a cock tease. :flaccid:

If that's your stance, just remember it's not for you, it's for THEM. The THEM that want so badly to shoot you accidentally.

• Locked thread