Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

That dog is awesome. I hope he has an awesome name. Doesn't someone here have a really fuzzy white cat named Bambaataa?

Thanks for the pictures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

The Bananana posted:

Wanna pet that dog. :3:

Samoyeds are some of the most wonderful creatures on Earth. That fur is every bit as high-maintenance as it looks though, and is probably inside of the gun already.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Kommienzuspadt posted:

so IR, given that it seems that youve carried every gun in every holster imaginable, which is your favorite combo?

My favorite combo of the ones I actually own is the Dillon Master/Beretta set. My favorite gun wavers between the D-series Beretta and the old West German SIG P226. If I could find a Dillon Master for the P226, I would be in hog heaven. :circlefap:

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.

DJExile posted:

That dog is awesome. I hope he has an awesome name. Doesn't someone here have a really fuzzy white cat named Bambaataa?

Thanks for the pictures!

His full name is "Gin and Tonic," but we just call him Gin.

His fur is all over the place. It's the softest fur around though, so it's kind of worth it. He's got a great personality and we couldn't ask for a better dog.

He owns no guns and is too much of a hit with the ladies to be a goon; the dog will only make appearances in gun related photos.

EDIT: Is this new? http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo Is it too much to hope that :iia:?

darnzen fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 26, 2011

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

darnzen posted:

EDIT: Is this new? http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo Is it too much to hope that :iia:?

It looks like another DAO with maNUAL SAFETYYYYYYYYY FFFFFFFF

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

DJExile posted:

It looks like another DAO with maNUAL SAFETYYYYYYYYY FFFFFFFF

Except,

quote:

Then there is the single action striker-fired trigger pull–even and smooth.

?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I read right by that. :downs: I assumed really curvy trigger + no visible hammer = DAO

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

darnzen posted:

It's the softest fur around

Challange: accepted

Obiwan! Come here and show the nice man how soft you are! :eng101::3:

Ok, maybe later. :eng99:

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

The softest fur, hands down, belongs to my boy Toby.

Eddie the Head
Jul 18, 2008

darnzen posted:

It's the same thickness as a Glock. Why not get something in double stack and almost double your capacity in a package that's pretty drat close to the same size.

ps: that doggy... :3:

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.

DRO posted:

It's the same thickness as a Glock. Why not get something in double stack and almost double your capacity in a package that's pretty drat close to the same size.

ps: that doggy... :3:

True, I missed that. Though it does say that 1.2" is the width of the safeties, 0.995" otherwise. But glock basically doubles the capacity so yeah.

I was more thinking this was a super small SA compact. Seems like most others are DAO. Does seem like the width should be less with a single stack mag though.

Eddie the Head
Jul 18, 2008

darnzen posted:

True, I missed that. Though it does say that 1.2" is the width of the safeties, 0.995" otherwise.

I didn't even think to click on the pics for more info. I just read the specs at the bottom which didnt elaborate beyond 1.2".

1" isn't that bad, but they can still shave another tenth or so off.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

darnzen posted:

True, I missed that. Though it does say that 1.2" is the width of the safeties, 0.995" otherwise. But glock basically doubles the capacity so yeah.

I was more thinking this was a super small SA compact. Seems like most others are DAO. Does seem like the width should be less with a single stack mag though.

We talkin' skinny-rear end single stacks itt?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

first time really carrying with the RCS Phanton IWB. Status? ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

needknees posted:

first time really carrying with the RCS Phanton IWB. Status? ehhhhhhhhhhhh

are you carrying with it IWB or OWB? what do you like/not like about it? what pistol?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

are you carrying with it IWB or OWB? what do you like/not like about it? what pistol?

IWB. I'm carrying my G23 in it, no light. Honestly it's very comfortable, probably moreso than my CTAC. It just seems to not tuck the gun in as well as i thought it would. I think the light compatible version would work slightly better due to the added length of the holster to help tuck the gun into my side. Realistically it's not bad, it just didn't live up to my overinflated expectations.

I messed around with the positioning of the loops last night and it's much better than before though. I still may end up selling or trading it -- I think the MD cut would be a better owb holster for me, and I think the LC version would be a better IWB holster. Good thing I got the standard, non-light compatible one! :downs:

Basically I need to gently caress around with it some more, find out where it works best and what configuration works best. If I can't find something that works well for me I'll put it up for sale.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

needknees posted:

IWB. I'm carrying my G23 in it, no light. Honestly it's very comfortable, probably moreso than my CTAC. It just seems to not tuck the gun in as well as i thought it would. I think the light compatible version would work slightly better due to the added length of the holster to help tuck the gun into my side. Realistically it's not bad, it just didn't live up to my overinflated expectations.

I messed around with the positioning of the loops last night and it's much better than before though. I still may end up selling or trading it -- I think the MD cut would be a better owb holster for me, and I think the LC version would be a better IWB holster. Good thing I got the standard, non-light compatible one! :downs:

Basically I need to gently caress around with it some more, find out where it works best and what configuration works best. If I can't find something that works well for me I'll put it up for sale.

Let me know when you put it up for sale, I'm interested.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Let me know when you put it up for sale, I'm interested.

Your statement is worded as if I will never like this holster :(

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.
It's been a long winter and I'm anxious for warmer weather.

What are some summer carry options? I have a cz75 P01 and an MTAC that I hang from a comp-tac belt. T-shirt is enough to conceal, but I'm trying to picture myself wearing this belt in the summer with shorts and just not seeing it.

Do any of you switch to a smaller gun / caliber for summer? Then what, pocket carry? I have a couple pair of shorts with thigh pockets kind of like cargo pants that would probably work, but the cz is pretty heavy for that I think.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

needknees posted:

Your statement is worded as if I will never like this holster :(

Now I'm worried that my hoarding money to buy the light compatible model will be for nothing!

NOTHING!

*froths at mouth*

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

darnzen posted:

It's been a long winter and I'm anxious for warmer weather.

What are some summer carry options? I have a cz75 P01 and an MTAC that I hang from a comp-tac belt. T-shirt is enough to conceal, but I'm trying to picture myself wearing this belt in the summer with shorts and just not seeing it.

Do any of you switch to a smaller gun / caliber for summer? Then what, pocket carry? I have a couple pair of shorts with thigh pockets kind of like cargo pants that would probably work, but the cz is pretty heavy for that I think.

For a while I ran Glock 19 in the winter and PPS in the summer. Then I realized I just loved everything about the PPS and stuck with that.

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

DJExile posted:

For a while I ran Glock 19 in the winter and PPS in the summer. Then I realized I just loved everything about the PPS and stuck with that.

I hear your mom loves PPs too.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Black Stormy posted:

I hear your mom loves PPs too.

:supaburn:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

Now I'm worried that my hoarding money to buy the light compatible model will be for nothing!

NOTHING!

*froths at mouth*

For what it's worth, I love my Phantom LC that carries a fullsize M&P and TLR-1s. I'm a bit bigger than needknees, but I don't have much trouble concealing it and it's very comfortable for a kydex holster.

Photos here of the Phantom LC being carried if you haven't already seen them: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381879

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

I've recently gotten my CC permit, and my boss has offered to buy the weapon to go with it as a bonus. I do not have a ton of experience with pistols, but I have a great range to improve on with whatever I get. I am leaning towards a P30 because I feel very comfortable with it and it seems like a great weapon. Also, I like having a de-cocking button. I'm leaning towards the 9mm over the 40S&W because of ammo cost. How many rookie mistakes am I making so far? Any advise on the best way to carry it?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Acinonyx posted:

I've recently gotten my CC permit, and my boss has offered to buy the weapon to go with it as a bonus. I do not have a ton of experience with pistols, but I have a great range to improve on with whatever I get. I am leaning towards a P30 because I feel very comfortable with it and it seems like a great weapon. Also, I like having a de-cocking button. I'm leaning towards the 9mm over the 40S&W because of ammo cost. How many rookie mistakes am I making so far? Any advise on the best way to carry it?

#1: Someone else can't buy a gun for you. :cop:

The rest is fine. Carry what you shoot well and can carry comfortably. The Comp-Tac MTAC is almost universally loved here as a holster, usually worn at about 5:00 (12:00 being your dong and 6:00 being your crack)

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

DJExile posted:

The rest is fine. Carry what you shoot well and can carry comfortably. The Comp-Tac MTAC is almost universally loved here as a holster, usually worn at about 5:00 (12:00 being your dong and 6:00 being your crack)

What? He can certainly buy him the weapon as a gift, he just can't buy it on his behalf (I read "as a bonus" as "gift"). That's Federal law and I don't know of any states that overrule it.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

DJExile posted:

You can legally buy a gun to gift to another person; I went to a gunshop a few years back to buy my father a .22 pistol. I flat out told the dealer it was a gift for my Dad and he thought it was pretty awesome.

I believe it's only against the law if you are buying the gun for someone else as in they give you money to buy the gun for them, regardless of if they can legally own a firearm or not...IE walrusman is awesome and bought me an amazing old shotgun as a gift, but if I had given him money to buy it for me then we'd possibly be in legal hot water.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

The boss could be buying it for the company, or the boss could be gifting it to the employee. Well, that depends on what counts as a gift. Does compensation in guns count as a gift in this case?

My guess is it's something muddier, like a duty gun the guy gets to keep.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

You can legally buy a gun to gift to another person; I went to a gunshop a few years back to buy my father a .22 pistol. I flat out told the dealer it was a gift for my Dad and he thought it was pretty awesome.

I believe it's only against the law if you are buying the gun for someone else as in they give you money to buy the gun for them, regardless of if they can legally own a firearm or not...IE walrusman is awesome and bought me an amazing old shotgun as a gift, but if I had given him money to buy it for me then we'd possibly be in legal hot water.

I thought it was only an issue, (i.e. a straw purchase) if the person for whom you were buying the gun could not legally own or purchase the gun themselves. (for instance a felon, or person deemed mentally unstable by a court (or whatever the legal phrasing is for crazy))

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

No, he's correct.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I completely forgot about the gifting thing and I apologize.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Ahh, sorry I wasn't more clear about that. I brought it up only because I figured someone would suggest going for a less expensive weapon. I have work related reasons to carry, and my boss offered to cover the costs of whatever I wanted to go with (within reason). The weapon will be purchased from a local police officer who has a class 3 dealers license, so I'm pretty sure he'll help us stay on the straight and narrow.
Thanks for the input! One more question, if this weapon is also likely to be what I have locked safely up next to my bed at night, am I better off having a light mounted on it, or should I be planning on holding a light in my off hand?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Mounted lights are fine and I'd rather hold a gun with 2 hands than one. The TLR-1 is fantastic. You can find it around $100

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

DJExile posted:

Mounted lights are fine and I'd rather hold a gun with 2 hands than one. The TLR-1 is fantastic. You can find it around $100

There's a camp of thought in my neck of the woods where people argue that you're more likely to shoot a target if your light is mounted.

I have no idea what they mean.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Acinonyx posted:

Ahh, sorry I wasn't more clear about that. I brought it up only because I figured someone would suggest going for a less expensive weapon. I have work related reasons to carry, and my boss offered to cover the costs of whatever I wanted to go with (within reason). The weapon will be purchased from a local police officer who has a class 3 dealers license, so I'm pretty sure he'll help us stay on the straight and narrow.
Thanks for the input! One more question, if this weapon is also likely to be what I have locked safely up next to my bed at night, am I better off having a light mounted on it, or should I be planning on holding a light in my off hand?

Definitely go with a weapon mounted light. The TLR-1 as recommended is fine.

One comment on the P30 though - it is a rather hefty pistol with a wide and long grip. Are you sure you will be able to conceal it? The H&K USPc is pretty concealable and comes in 9mm - I would look at that if you are set on an HK.

Of course I would try to point you in the direction of a glock 19 but that would be a little obnoxious unless you are already considering it....

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Definitely go with a weapon mounted light. The TLR-1 as recommended is fine.

One comment on the P30 though - it is a rather hefty pistol with a wide and long grip. Are you sure you will be able to conceal it? The H&K USPc is pretty concealable and comes in 9mm - I would look at that if you are set on an HK.

Of course I would try to point you in the direction of a glock 19 but that would be a little obnoxious unless you are already considering it....

The other H&K to consider is the P2000 or P2000SK. The SK is smaller than a USPc but with ergos closer to the P30.

I can't blame you for wanting a P30 (I love the way they feel), and plenty of people CCW full size guns, so go with what you want.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Insane Totoro posted:

There's a camp of thought in my neck of the woods where people argue that you're more likely to shoot a target if your light is mounted.

I have no idea what they mean.

There's an article in the news thread that at least one cop has accidentally shot someone by confusing the front of the trigger guard (light switch) with the trigger (boom!). If you bother to practice with it occasionally, mounting the light to your gun will do much better than trying to hold both.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

I wear pretty baggy cloths, most frequently sweatshirts, so I wasn't as worried about trying to get something super small. I don't think I'll be carrying often, but maybe if that changes I would want something smaller. I don't have anything against the G19 or a P2000, there is just something about the G30 where everything is in the right place for me and my oddly proportioned hands.

My plan is to keep the gun set up the same way all the time, so that I will be practicing with it as it will be, either holstered or from bed side storage. Is it reasonable to carry with something like an X300 installed or should that just stay by the bed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Acinonyx posted:

My plan is to keep the gun set up the same way all the time, so that I will be practicing with it as it will be, either holstered or from bed side storage. Is it reasonable to carry with something like an X300 installed or should that just stay by the bed?

If you can get a holster, go for it. You won't always be carrying places where you can just turn on the lights.

• Locked thread