Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Headcase Fargone
Sep 24, 2007
Swimming in a world of creeps

Acinonyx posted:

One more question, if this weapon is also likely to be what I have locked safely up next to my bed at night, am I better off having a light mounted on it, or should I be planning on holding a light in my off hand?

Ahem. Reaction hand. :bustem:

Sorry, couldn't resist. To add some substance, The TLR-1 is probably my most satisfying gun-related purchase of this past year. I was shocked at just how bright it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Ignore the X300. Surefire's stuff is solid quality but waaaaayyyyyy overpriced.

Someone tell me about High Noon and Milt Sparks holsters. I know to avoid HN's cheapo offerings and I don't know how long MS takes to make stuff or even how to order them because his website makes no mention of it. :saddowns:

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

If you want strobe you can get the TLR-1s for not much more.

Are you planning on carrying this weapon with a light? I find it difficult to find a P229 + TLR-1 IWB holster unless I wait 4 months for a Raven magic holster. I know some people took the light off for CCW and every night put the light back on dance but that could get old quick.

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 30, 2011

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Boner Wad posted:

If you want strobe you can get the TLR-1s for not much more.

Are you planning on carrying this weapon with a light? I find it difficult to find a P229 + TLR-1 IWB holster unless I wait 4 months for a Raven magic holster. I know some people took the light off for CCW and every night put the light back on dance but that could get old quick.

Safariland makes a couple different lines that will hold gun plus light, and a lot of places will have them in stock. You can get the exact catalog number by going through the Safariland site. They're not necessarily as nice as a Raven would be, but they're not bad either.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Whew, I finally got done reading this thread.

I ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck for my CZ PCR about three weeks ago. I took a class and submitted my permit application last week. It's only a matter of time now.

While I plan on the PCR as a primary carry, I know there are times I either won't be able to conceal it or can't be hosed to put on the belt and holster (and suitable pants) for a walk to the store down the street, so I might as well look towards a pocket piece.

I was watching The American last night and, after seeing the Walther PPK he used, it brought back my childhood fascination with James Bond books and movies. Hard. I can't escape it again. Forget a 1911, I must own a PPK next.

How is that little guy these days? It's about the same size as an LCP. Has anyone used one?

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 30, 2011

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

The PPK has an incredibly bad DA trigger, but the SA is really nice. Very snappy, but accurate.

I wouldn't call it a pocket gun though. It's actually barely smaller than the PPS. I'd look at the LCP or something similar if you want a pocket gun.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

:allears:

DJExile posted:

I'd look at the LCP or something similar if you want a pocket gun.

Or a S&W 642. Pretty awesome for a summer pocket gun in cargos/slacks/jeans that aren't rear end huggers.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DJExile posted:

I wouldn't call it a pocket gun though. It's actually barely smaller than the PPS. I'd look at the LCP or something similar if you want a pocket gun.

They look to be pretty darn close in size, besides the magazine extension (which can be swapped out for a magazine without). The PPK is a bit longer in the slide, heavier and has a width of .98 versus the LCP's .82. Is that really that big of a difference?

I handled an LCP at a recent gun show and didn't like the feel of it at all. It just felt like a plastic toy. Besides, my reasons for wanting a PPK stray more towards the romantic rather than the practical, though I assume it's as much a shooter as any other subcompact. The PPS doesn't interest me much.

I was mainly just looking to see if anyone had personal experience carrying one and how it worked out. I'm not really asking for alternatives, since I read this thread through and I'm aware of my options.

Nafix posted:

Or a S&W 642. Pretty awesome for a summer pocket gun in cargos/slacks/jeans that aren't rear end huggers.

Again, I've wanted the "James Bond gun" since I was 10. I'm sure you know how these things are. You repress an urge for a long time and long after you think you've shaken it off, it comes back to bite you in the rear end. I'm at a point where I can comfortably afford to buy a handgun or two for vanity reasons and if they're suitable for a purpose then it's a nice bonus.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 30, 2011

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Bummey posted:

How is that little guy these days? It's about the same size as an LCP. Has anyone used one?

Echoing what DJExile said about the trigger and snappiness (E: also they tend to bite people with meatier hands). It's also not drop-safe. The lack of a manual slide lock can make administrative handling a little tricky too, but that's a minor issue. .380ACP is also a little below what I'd want in a defense pistol but many people find it acceptable.

It's personally not what I'd want for a carry gun but my grandpa uses his as a pocket gun (they fit in the pockets of his old man pants) and seems to like it. If you're aware of the gun's shortcomings and can shoot it well then carry it.

I understand what you mean about wanting something since you were 10. I've had this irrational love for snubnose revolvers since I was little. Guess what my "stow and go" carry gun is?

poopgiggle fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 30, 2011

Bummey
May 26, 2004

poopgiggle posted:

Echoing what DJExile said about the trigger and snappiness (E: also they tend to bite people with meatier hands). It's also not drop-safe. The lack of a manual slide lock can make administrative handling a little tricky too, but that's a minor issue.

My hands are small enough that I should be okay.

What exactly denotes drop safe? I assumed a firing pin block, but Walther USA's site says it has a firing pin safety. Maybe that's only when the manual safety is engaged? I guess I could contact them directly to get the final word.

The absent slide lock doesn't seem like that big of a deal, though I can foresee potential issues.

quote:

I understand what you mean about wanting something since you were 10. I've had this irrational love for snubnose revolvers since I was little. Guess what my "stow and go" carry gun is?

Yeah, I think I'm dead set on this. :allears:

drat you, Ian Fleming :argh:

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Bummey posted:

What exactly denotes drop safe?

"Drop safe" means "you can drop the gun when it's loaded and it won't discharge." There have been a couple reported incidents of people getting shot when they dropped their PPK.

It's not supposed to be a problem when you have the manual safety engaged but IIRC the manual safety decocks the hammer when it's engaged, so you'd have to flick the safety off AND THEN deal with a DA trigger pull.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

poopgiggle posted:

"Drop safe" means "you can drop the gun when it's loaded and it won't discharge." There have been a couple reported incidents of people getting shot when they dropped their PPK.

I should have been more clear. I know what it means, just not exactly which features make one drop safe. Something that blocks the firing pin from striking unless the trigger is pulled, correct? Isn't that what the firing pin safety does? Walther's site says it has one.

I emailed their customer support so I should get an answer within a couple months. :downs: Maybe I'll forget about it by then!

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 31, 2011

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Don't forget as well that the PPK is notably heavier than those small polymer pocket guns as well.

If you love the PPK, go for it. You can do a lot worse for CCW. But when I had one there was just no good way it was getting in my pockets comfortably.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

DJExile posted:

Ignore the X300. Surefire's stuff is solid quality but waaaaayyyyyy overpriced.

Someone tell me about High Noon and Milt Sparks holsters. I know to avoid HN's cheapo offerings and I don't know how long MS takes to make stuff or even how to order them because his website makes no mention of it. :saddowns:

I can speak to MS at least, having ordered from them before. They have a link on their front page with current backlog info, as well as if they have hit their quota for the month. The quota is in place to keep their backlog from getting ridiculous. Right now they're running about 22-30 weeks (they're working on Aug10 orders right now). If you want to get an order in you usually have to order in the first couple of days of the month before they hit their quota. Your best bet for ordering is over the phone, though they have an order form so you can probably mail one in as well, there is a link on the left hand side of the page if you want to read it yourself.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

BadgerMan45 posted:

I can speak to MS at least, having ordered from them before. They have a link on their front page with current backlog info, as well as if they have hit their quota for the month. The quota is in place to keep their backlog from getting ridiculous. Right now they're running about 22-30 weeks (they're working on Aug10 orders right now). If you want to get an order in you usually have to order in the first couple of days of the month before they hit their quota. Your best bet for ordering is over the phone, though they have an order form so you can probably mail one in as well, there is a link on the left hand side of the page if you want to read it yourself.

Whoops then I missed it.

Goddamn that is crazy nuts. 6 months? Are they worth that wait? :psyduck:

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

DJExile posted:

Someone needs to start a holster-making business if demand is like this.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I think the Mitch Rosen holsters are half a notch above the ones put out by the Milt Sparks shop. Then again, Rosen's holsters can get pricey, the wait is almost as long, and you have to pay up front.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

ORDERING A BELTMAN: Do I want [edit] gently caress it; do it live.

Nafix fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 31, 2011

vote_no
Nov 21, 2005

The rush is on.

There's no words there.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

DJExile posted:

Whoops then I missed it.

My VM 2 from Milt Sparks is the best holster I own. It was worth the wait, but I also only waited like 90 days for mine. They aren't terribly expensive either.

To be perfectly honest however, I've considered getting another VM 2 for a gun I carry less often, and I'm not convinced that it's worth the hassle. By that I mean that I don't think replacing my existing awesome holster (MTAC, as suggested by TFR) is a worthwhile use of $100+.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

IF I was going to buy a holster for ranch/land carry and I wanted it to be a shoulder holster rig, what's decent (quality/price wise)?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Nafix posted:

IF I was going to buy a holster for ranch/land carry and I wanted it to be a shoulder holster rig, what's decent (quality/price wise)?

If you really want a shoulder rig, I've heard those by Bianchi and Galco are solid.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

DJExile posted:

Whoops then I missed it.

Yeah, holster maker sites mostly look like they belong on geocities so they can be a bit awkward too navigate. If you don't need a holster right away they are totally worth it, my VM-2 is awesome and my FS 1911 can be carried under a T-shirt (not skin-tight, but not baggy either) all day this way. If you want one more quickly, you can usually find them used in gun forum classifieds, expect to pay full price or close to it as they retain their value really well. I'm pretty sure that some site stocks VM-2s and summer specials in popular configurations but they're usually sold out, if I remember which one I'll edit it in. As far as the wait is concerned, 2-6 months seems to be fairly normal, though if you really want to see something ridiculous check out Del Fatti Leather's wait, I've heard his stuff is excellent but he hasn't been taking new orders since Oct2010 and he is still WAY behind.

Nafix posted:

Depends on the gun, I'm guessing it is full sized considering the usage. I'm not up to speed on the large revolver shoulder holsters but for a semi-auto I've heard good things about the Galco Miami Classics if you don't want to wait or spend a whole lot of money. I've also heard rave reviews for the shoulder rig that Alessi holsters makes but you'll have to wait for one of those and they are a bit pricier. I've never put my hands on one so take that for what its worth. The only shoulder holster I have is a KL Null SKR which is an outstanding way to carry an airweight J-frame.

Nafix
Oct 7, 2008

BadgerMan45 posted:

Depends on the gun.......

Either a Sig P220 or a Glock 19.

Although... I do have a J-Frame...

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

BadgerMan45 posted:

The only shoulder holster I have is a KL Null SKR which is an outstanding way to carry an airweight J-frame.

I've wanted one of these foe a while, can we get some pics?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Scarecrow411 posted:

I've wanted one of these foe a while, can we get some pics?

If you don't mind some awesome bathroom mirror Android self-portraits, then I can see about shooting a few tomorrow after work.

Nafix posted:

Either a Sig P220 or a Glock 19.

Although... I do have a J-Frame...

The Null holster is more geared towards CC, you'll see what I mean when I post the pics. You'll have to decide whether you prefer vertical (muzzle down) or horizontal carry as well as what type of retention method you prefer. Expect to pay 100-150 for a good, production, leather shoulder holster and double that for a higher-end one though many come with mag pouches which eases the sting a bit. I'd check out the Galco Miami Classic I/II and Jackass rig, Alessi Bodyguard (I like the retention on this one, though you'll need something with a manual safety), Andrews Leather has a few, and I've also heard some good things about the Fist shoulder holster.

Those are only the ones that I know of off the top of my head and seemed to have a lot of good reviews, do some research and see what you like. Also, I'd stick your (unloaded) pistol in between your arm and body and see if it bothers you much because some people can't stand it, especially with thicker guns and a thick leather holster. If you can try one on that would be best. You might want to look into some of those hunting style holsters that go on the front of your chest, those might work as well.

BadgerMan45 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 1, 2011

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

In regards to where you can/can't carry: FL law says you can't carry at a bar, but you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as you aren't sitting at the bar. What about places (Chili's, Applebee's, Miller's Ale House, etc) that have first-come first-serve tables in proximity to the bar? You're not sitting AT the bar, but it is still sometimes referred to as the bar area.

Carry there or no?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Shroomie posted:

In regards to where you can/can't carry: FL law says you can't carry at a bar, but you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as you aren't sitting at the bar. What about places (Chili's, Applebee's, Miller's Ale House, etc) that have first-come first-serve tables in proximity to the bar? You're not sitting AT the bar, but it is still sometimes referred to as the bar area.

Carry there or no?

Legally, yes.
Understand, however, that depending how much the cops feel like being a dick should any unfortunate circumstances occur, it might not be a good plan.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Shroomie posted:

Carry there or no?

It's called concealed for a reason.

And yes I'm being serious, not a jackass.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

A lot of states seem to allow carrying at bar & grill type places, and other restaurants so long as they make less than half of their income from alcohol sales. It depends on the state regulations though. Plus most places probably don't allow you to drink while carrying.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Drav posted:

It's called concealed for a reason.

And yes I'm being serious, not a jackass.

I'm more concerned with the slim chance it actually gets used and I'm somewhere I maybe-kinda-shouldn't be. I pocket carry, so I'm not worried about someone seeing it.

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.
I finally got around to trying out a Walther PPS at the range and I liked it! However, I can't reach the mag release on the trigger guard with my thumb. Am I supposed to use my finger? Or is it just going to be awkward?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Shroomie posted:

I'm more concerned with the slim chance it actually gets used and I'm somewhere I maybe-kinda-shouldn't be. I pocket carry, so I'm not worried about someone seeing it.

The odds you ever have to use your concealed piece are practically zero. I wouldn't worry too much.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

DJExile posted:

The odds you ever have to use your concealed piece are practically zero. I wouldn't worry too much.

I know, I know. I'm just still not quite over the initial carrying paranoia.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Shroomie posted:

I know, I know. I'm just still not quite over the initial carrying paranoia.

Gotcha. Just keep carrying and it will get more and more natural. Worry fades over time.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

DJExile posted:

Gotcha. Just keep carrying and it will get more and more natural. Worry fades over time.

No it doesnt. Not if you are ever-vigilant.

They are always watching...

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

Shroomie posted:

If it gets used somewhere you shouldn't be you should still be thankful you had it when you needed it instead of leaving it uselessly in your car because the politicians that said you couldn't carry it have their own pieces they can carry anywhere or have bodyguards to do it for them. In short, gently caress them, it's your rear end.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

darnzen posted:

I finally got around to trying out a Walther PPS at the range and I liked it! However, I can't reach the mag release on the trigger guard with my thumb. Am I supposed to use my finger? Or is it just going to be awkward?

You can use your trigger finger or your middle finger. It takes a little getting used to.

Gray Stormy posted:

No it doesnt. Not if you are ever-vigilant.

They are always watching...

I'm always in Condition Yellow. :coal:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

darnzen posted:

Like IR said, trigger or middle. Middle feels most natural for me. I can't count the number of times I hear people ranting about Walther/HK style mag releases saying "I can't hit it with my thumb without shifting my grip! :arghfist::saddowns:" Now that I'm used to it, I actually prefer it to the traditional style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schigolch
Apr 30, 2008

Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?

darnzen posted:

I always use my index finger.

• Locked thread