Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Welp, had my Texas CHL class(and tests) today.

I did loving terrible on the shooting test. Case in point:

:eng99:

With my Makarov from the same max distance(15 yards) I have a fist sized grouping albiet in the same general vicinity as the above shots(low, left) but still a fist sized group.

Granted there were a few extenuating circumstances(not firing that gun before, not firing .45acp before, 3rd time firing anything at all, "Oh man, I'm taking a test" nervousness, being timed, the targets being in utter loving darkness at 15 yards because the lights there were out, etc) but drat, I suck :(

Twenty rounds at 3 yards, twenty rounds at 7 yards then finally 10 rounds at 15 yards, all starting from a low ready. Its scored like this:
Anything 8 ring or better - 5
7 ring - 4
On silhouette but outside 7 ring - 3
White - 0

Need 70%(175) to pass.

Somehow, despite my terrible shooting - I still loving passed.

I aced the poo poo out of the paper test covering the applicable laws though, so I didn't completely gently caress up today :sigh:

*Edit You MAY be able to see a few smaller holes in my target... Yeah - I wasn't anywhere near the worst shooter there...

Yeah your shooting wont win you any medals but for your 3rd time shooting that's not so bad.

Get a .22 pistol though and shoot that, a lot. and consider taking a basic pistol class from a good instructor who can show you form (stance, grip, sight picture etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

BarkingSquirrel posted:

I aced the poo poo out of the paper test covering the applicable laws though, so I didn't completely gently caress up today :sigh:

Congrats. Please don't try to defend yourself if I'm standing to your left.

100% of our class passed the shooting portion (it was guaranteed, via make-up practical exams), even a woman who had never held a gun before in her life. The instructor asked her what she had in the pistol case so she pulled out a Glock 26 and pointed it at him. He was very understanding and patient.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Bummey posted:

My Crossbreed holster just arrived. :dance: It's an odd feeling having this hunk of leather an metal strap to my side, but it fits well, conceals better and is pretty darn comfortable despite the foreign presence. drat thing creaks like a loose floorboard, though.

Put a thin dusting of baby powder everywhere that kydex and leather touch, and maybe a little on your belt where the clips touch. Wipe it off enough that you can't actually see powder residue and the creaking should stop.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

I'd be hard pressed not to inform the person that tagged my target that collateral damage is expensive.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

If I knew who it was, I would have. However I did say "Wow, one of you guys tagged my target a few times, wth?" loud enough for them all to hear it.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

BarkingSquirrel posted:

If I knew who it was, I would have. However I did say "Wow, one of you guys tagged my target a few times, wth?" loud enough for them all to hear it.

This happened to both my wife and during our range tests, too. I think it is fairly common. One guy in my class did fail the range test, but I think he might have actually been Mr. Magoo and they said he could come back and do it again.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Just a heads up, code VDAY-0211 gets you 14% off of Comp-tac poo poo today.

I just started carrying, and I've been hauling a CZ-82 at 2'o clock in a terrible CZ foam IWB holster.

I ordered a Minotaur for my CZ-75D compact, and I'm really hoping it feels better.

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I'm in the market for a new carry gun. I've realized that one gun can't do it all so along with this next purchase will be some sort of .380/.38 further on down the road for when I can't carry a big gun. That being said, I've come up with some specifics that I'm looking for. I've narrowed it down to a few guns but I want to make sure I'm considering all my options as I'm getting rather tired of trading off stuff trying to find that perfect gun.

Of course it needs to be reliable, from a reputable manufacturer, all those typical things you look for in a carry gun. Size isn't that important, although lighter is better. I would very much prefer something that can accept a .22lr conversion and something that doesn't have an external safety. Glocks are out as I don't shoot them well and they don't fit my hand. Ditto with Beretta 92s. Right now I've boiled it down to a Sig or CZ. I shoot Sigs well and they fit my hand quite nicely, but I don't care for some of the .22 conversion features such as the slide not locking back. I've really focused on the CZ P-01 lately, and at the moment it's at the top of the list. I know holsters aren't quite as prevalent for the CZ, but they are available. As far as rails on the pistol, I could take them or leave them but it would probably be a nice thing to have. I plan on going down to my local funhouse and playing with everything to see what fits my hand best, but am I missing anything? Are there any guns I haven't thought of that I should? I'm expecting to spend between $800-1000.

I went the CZ P01 + MTAC route and am very pleased. The CZ has never had a failure of any kind after thousands of rounds. I will admit I'm looking for something lighter / smaller.

On that note, I got to fondle the Kimber Solo at the store the other day. It is tiny (can't be much bigger than a LCP) but feels solid, weighs something like 18 oz, decent trigger, wood grips, SAO striker fired, < $750. Only thing I didn't like was the ambi safety. The gun is so thin that having that 0.1" stick out on both sides makes it a good fraction of the total thickness! Other than being ambi, the safety was fine, well positioned, easy to actuate.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

BadgerMan45 posted:

Like others have said, you'll get used to it.

That being said, I'm sure that you'll have a few months to get used to it in Minnesota as I imagine you're wearing a few layers of clothing right now.

Yeah, I figure it's just a matter of getting used to it. I know people probably won't notice, but there's always going to be that Minnesotan Soccer Mom I'll have to be on the lookout for. As for clothing, not really. I rarely wear more than a light jacket in the winter. We're not affected by the cold, up here. :coal:

cornface posted:

Put a thin dusting of baby powder everywhere that kydex and leather touch, and maybe a little on your belt where the clips touch. Wipe it off enough that you can't actually see powder residue and the creaking should stop.

After a bit of investigation, it's actually the metal clips rubbing against my belt. I'll try the baby powder, but I'll also slap some of those felt pads on the inside of the clips - the kind you put on furniture legs so they don't scratch the wooden floor. If they mess with the fitting, cause it to slip around or just don't work, I don't know what I'll do! Doesn't matter much, since I don't really plan on carrying for a while. Have it and not need it, etc.

My belt is a cheap one, but it's really thick, sturdy and holds everything up fine.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 15, 2011

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

cornface posted:

This happened to both my wife and during our range tests, too. I think it is fairly common. One guy in my class did fail the range test, but I think he might have actually been Mr. Magoo and they said he could come back and do it again.

Can't speak to the CCW class as I didn't have to take one but I saw this poo poo all the time when we were re-qualifying on M16s. You can only get a max of 50 points and I've seen more than a few dudes end up with 60+ hits on their target, though to be fair I think it is more a matter of people shooting at the wrong target rather than being that bad of a shot. The worst shooting I saw at my last unit was 4/50, I think at that point you would probably be better off just pointing your rifle down range, closing your eyes, and let 'er rip on burst. If they ever had to shoot at anybody it probably would have looked like an episode of the A-Team.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

Alright, I decided against buying a holster for my P22 or my Model 10 for now, as I (foolishly) am buying a .380 PPK/S. I'm going to apply for my GA Firearms License-thingy tomorrow, and though I do not intend to carry often, I will on occasion.

I know the hate for shoulder holsters is quite strong, but I do believe it would be my best option- I often wear a shirt/tie/jacket combo, and a PPK is slender enough that I wouldn't be uncomfortable with a shoulder holster.

I've looked a little bit and I see that the "Galco Executive Shoulder Holster" is apparently the one to buy for a PPK, so I'd like to ask goons' opinions on this one. Is it worth it? Any better alternatives? Comfortable?

Also, one more question- GA allows open or concealed carry, it seems. Is a holster typically designed for concealed carry (i.e. shoulder holster) OK to hold a gun openly in?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

Also, one more question- GA allows open or concealed carry, it seems. Is a holster typically designed for concealed carry (i.e. shoulder holster) OK to hold a gun openly in?

You'll want a higher level of retention on a holster used for open carry. Most holsters designed for CCW are either open-top or just have a thumb strap.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

Craptacular posted:

You'll want a higher level of retention on a holster used for open carry. Most holsters designed for CCW are either open-top or just have a thumb strap.

Oh, I should have explained further- what I am trying to say is, if I wore a shoulder holster over a t-shirt or something, would that still be legal?

I know it sounds like a dumb question...I'm basically asking, is it ok to switch between open/concealed carry, or is that a big no-no?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

I know it sounds like a dumb question...I'm basically asking, is it ok to switch between open/concealed carry, or is that a big no-no?

There's no problem in switching. However, the standard admonitions against open carry in general apply.
It's always good to know you won't get busted for taking your coat off, though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

Oh, I should have explained further- what I am trying to say is, if I wore a shoulder holster over a t-shirt or something, would that still be legal?

Yes, but you'd look like a dork.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Craptacular posted:

True. To really do it right, you should have a double shoulder holster rig with dual 1911s, and a wifebeater rather than a t-shirt. You gotta take up smoking and weightlifting too.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

They make dress shirts with false buttons for drawing from a shoulder holster underneath the dress shirt. They cost as much as a nice dress shirt, too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Fobus OWB holster for a G19 - Good for a sub-$25 buck holster? I feel like I would rip the drat thing out with the gun in it.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

Craptacular posted:

With a PPK? I disagree wholeheartedly

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Fobus OWB holster for a G19 - Good for a sub-$25 buck holster? I feel like I would rip the drat thing out with the gun in it.

That is pretty much what happens. I never found a comfortable point of adjustment between "gun is falling out" and "I just gave myself a wedgie trying to draw" A Serpa will run about the same price and won't have that problem.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Captain Log posted:

I had a fobus the Lady Smith I used to have and hated it completely. Id rather put the gun without a holster in my shoe and walk around on it and try and draw from there instead of use another fobus.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Micromancer posted:

I had a fobus the Lady Smith I used to have and hated it completely. Id rather put the gun without a holster in my shoe and walk around on it and try and draw from there instead of use another fobus.

Hey where did our goonmeet thread go? I want to make it out!

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Captain Log posted:

Hey where did our goonmeet thread go? I want to make it out!

Page 2 you clod http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386030

Shedman
Apr 3, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I have seen more broken Fobuses (Fobii?) than any other holster

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Yeah Fobus is cheap poo poo. It's basically half a step above Uncle Mike's

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DJExile posted:

Yeah Fobus is cheap poo poo. It's basically half a step above Uncle Mike's

I have a couple of Uncle Mike's kydex holsters that I actually like. I have never liked a Fobus.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 17, 2011

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

The shell for my Steyrs DIY holster is Uncle Mikes and its held up admirably for years.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

G-Code holsters are pretty good and usually like sub 50 bucks. Worth the extra cash IMO.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Thought about asking the holster review thread, but I guess that should be mainly for reviewing holster and not asking things like this:
What's a good IWB/OWB holster for a Ruger SP101 with a 2" barrel? I'd prefer leather over kydex. I'm just looking for an alternative to pocket carrying. Not that PC'ing is bad, I prefer it, but it's always fun to change it up I guess.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

infrared35 posted:

I have a couple of Uncle Mike's kydex holsters that I actually like. I have never liked a Fobus.

I owned one Uncle Mike's and it was great. I owned one Fobus and it was as enjoyable licking a hot exhaust pipe.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Other than Beltman belts what other brands / makes would you guys recommend?
Are those Wilderness belts worth it?

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

lilspooky posted:

I didnt like my wilderness and have since ordered an Ares. The two month lead time blows though.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

lilspooky posted:

Comp-Tac makes good ones.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

DJExile posted:

Both the Comp-Tac and Crossbreed belts are great. Comp-tac has kydex in them, don't think Crossbreed does.

AR
Oct 26, 2005
a beautiful collision

My Wilderness belt has held up amazingly but I also wear my shirts untucked with it (because it would look dumb by itself). The Velcro is great for carry because it snugs different weapons perfectly to you. It held a fully loaded Glock 30 and MTAC and made them feel like nothing. This was a 5-stitch non-kydex version.

I only bought it because it was cheaper and readily available, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

I love my Comp-Tac belt.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

lilspooky posted:

I can't say I've had any experience with any "real" gun belts, but

Edit: guess I should have noted that it was the belt I currently use. I'm still waiting for my Beltman to ship.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 21, 2011

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!

I like how the Comp-Tac Minotaur Neutral (Appendix Carry) Cant Holster looks with the hybrid Kydex/leather. I might get it for a Baby Glock.

I also love how you can modify the holsters with different bodies and clips...it saves tons of money compared to getting an entire separate holster every time.

Shedman
Apr 3, 2007

I use the Maxpedition Liger belt or the 511 trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

I can't say I've had any experience with any "real" gun belts,

That's the exact reason why you would suggest a cheap single layer belt to someone.

Get some experience with a real gun belt before suggesting, please. Nothing make a bigger difference in carrying comfort than a proper belt.

• Locked thread