Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

So the reason you guys don't recommend SOB carry is because of the risk of falling and hurting yourself?

something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

So the reason you guys don't recommend SOB carry is because of the risk of falling and hurting yourself?

Well, that plus I've screwed around with it and the draw from there takes forever and cover garments have a tendency to snag on the gun.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

DJExile posted:

Safeties are always easy to fail or work loose. At the end of the day, 99.9999999999% of guns don't "just go off" as long as something isn't inside the trigger. This guy was a moron for recognizing his holster had a massive problem and assuming he'd be OK until he could find a new one.

Seriously. I'd feel worse for him if it happened on the way to Cabela's or something to get a new holster. But he ignored it and got shot.

I asked in the holster thread, but I'll ask here: Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holsters - yay or nay? Someone here had one but damned if I remember who. Thinking of getting one for my SP101 with IWB clips and the basketweave pattern.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Grimey Drawer

Micromancer posted:

something like that

The fact that the Ruger P89, P90, and P95 are listed in the drop down box among a Beretta, a Glock, and 1911 is telling.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

That's a big part of it, falling on a gun in that area can do some serious damage to your back. Moreover, it's a holster that basically requires you to put yourself in a hammerlock to get at the drat gun.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

On top of all that, it prints like a mofo if you bend over or kneel down at all.

But yeah, the back injury thing is the worst.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

sob - worse or better than shoulder holster

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Micromancer posted:

sob - worse or better than shoulder holster

Worse. At least shoulder holsters have some utility(drawing while sitting).

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Plus you dont have to hang your gun on the coat hanger(or whatever) when you take a poo poo.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Naramyth posted:

Worse. At least shoulder holsters have some utility(drawing while sitting).

I wear SoB, and when I want to shoot a criminal, I just turn around and give them the "Ace Ventura" treatment. I bend over at the waist and half-draw, then spray bullets wildly behind me through the holster and pants.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Shouldn't it be pretty difficult to get a crease going in that area? That doesn't look like a very well-made holster.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Gray Stormy posted:

Plus you dont have to hang your gun on the coat hanger(or whatever) when you take a poo poo.

the best way to ensure your gun doesn't fall out of the holster while making GBS threads is to aim it at the door

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Micromancer posted:

the best way to ensure your gun doesn't fall out of the holster while making GBS threads is to aim it at the door

I read that before. I am pretty sure you are the one that posted it then. :3:

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Naramyth posted:

I read that before. I am pretty sure you are the one that posted it then. :3:

I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

I don't recommend it because it's slow as Congress.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Drav posted:

I don't recommend it because it's slow as Congress.

I'm not sure but I think the only thing slower would be say ankle carry or maybe buddy carry where you stash it on a friend and just draw from there

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.
Holster safety (this has nothing to do with the guy with the bad holster in the car).

I treat a holstered gun pretty much like an inert object. Maybe with as much respect as something like a kitchen knife. I don't throw it across the room or toss it to my wife yelling "catch!"

However, I don't really worry about the 4 rules when handling the holstered gun. In fact, I never remove the gun to put on or remove the holster. I just put it on and take it off as a unit, gun and all. It's really only out of the holster to shoot or clean.

My wife doesn't like it, especially when I accidentally cover her with the muzzle of the holstered gun (understandable I guess). I don't carry the holster+gun around the house by the grip, I carry it like a book or something. She wants me to take the gun out before removing or putting on the holster.

I think my way is safer. Am I crazy?

FWIW it's an MTAC IWB holster.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I do the same thing.

ETA: other than carrying it around like a book. Use the grip so if the holster comes off you still have control of it.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 29, 2011

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

My guns kinda heavy and will fall out of my mtac once it is out of my pants as there is nothing without my flesh and my belt to hold it in. Why are you carrying it around? I take the gun out the holster and put it on the table. Pull holster off. Put gun back in holster and place it on the table. Muzzle still points out back, away from any other rooms as the table is in a corner. If I were your wife I would be concerned about you carrying around a loaded gun like a book in an IWB holster. e: this is because she may still be going by the 4 rules and you can't fault her for that.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

darnzen posted:

I think my way is safer. Am I crazy?

I do it the same way. Leaving the trigger covered at all times is safer.

darnzen
Jun 25, 2005

I crap dark matter.

Craptacular posted:

I do the same thing.

ETA: other than carrying it around like a book. Use the grip so if the holster comes off you still have control of it.

Well, 90% of the time I'm just pulling my holster+gun off and setting it on the table. In that case, I grab the grip like I'm going to draw, but trigger finger on the outside of the kydex, and thumb pressing on the leather backing.

If I'm carrying it around (not often, but it happens), I guess I grab the combination with palm covering the hammer and fingers on where the cylinder would be if it was a revolver, holding the pistol in the holster.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2309212/HarpersMagazine-2010-08-0083063.pdf

An excellent article on the overall pros and cons of CCW. It does a good job of exploring both sides, so if you read it, don't bug out on page 2 when you come across something you don't like. It's the closest thing I've ever seen to an honest, balanced account of the concealed carry argument.

My only criticism is that the author should have bought a real holster instead of some gun show bargain bin leather scrap.

TheChaplain
Apr 22, 2002

God is just the start of your problems, neh?

Article posted:

At traffic stops, a person’s concealed-carry permit pops up on the
computer. “That tells me they’ve been checked out,” he said, “that they’re probably someone I don’t have to worry about.”
I'd never heard that perspective before and I really dig it.

I also always appreciate anyone who comes from liberal sensibilities who will talk about firearms in a good light. Not only that, but anyone who will frown critically on the paranoid branches of gun culture. Sometimes I suspect I'm the only one who ever rolls up to my local range, windows open, National Public Radio blaring.

edit - finished the article, I can't say I like how excited this guy gets with firearms.

TheChaplain fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 30, 2011

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.

I've got a friend that's been stopped for speeding (here in Louisiana), and of course the first thing he told the officer is that he's armed and has a permit. After checking his license & permit, they talked guns a bit and the officer told him to watch his speed and thanked him for exercising his second amendment right. I've heard similar stories from other people too.

A neat thing I've found out lately is that if you can legally carry a firearm in Louisiana, you can carry it in our state parks. It used to be that pretty much only law enforcement could carry there, until it was amended last year. I thought about that after reading about a hiker being gored to death by a mountain goat at Olympic National Park in Washington. No mountain goats here in north Louisiana, but we've got plenty of other things that can kill you.

jedibeavis fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 31, 2011

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

jedibeavis posted:

I've got a friend that's been stopped for speeding (here in Louisiana), and of course the first thing he told the officer is that he's armed and has a permit. After checking his license & permit, they talked guns a bit and the officer told him to watch his speed and thanked him for exercising his second amendment right. I've heard similar stories from other people too.

My brother had this happen in my town, where the police typically hammer people for speeding. He told him he had the weapon on him, and the officer wanted to know what he was carrying and they talked about some different small carry guns and then he let him go on his way.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

jedibeavis posted:

A neat thing I've found out lately is that if you can legally carry a firearm in Louisiana, you can carry it in our state parks. It used to be that pretty much only law enforcement could carry there, until it was amended last year. I thought about that after reading about a hiker being gored to death by a mountain goat at Olympic National Park in Washington. No mountain goats here in north Louisiana, but we've got plenty of other things that can kill you.

What annoys me around here (Texas) is all the vaguely marked Corps of Engineers land that butts up against county land, or is managed by the county, leaving vast swaths of parks and trails (and even somewhat major thoroughfares) that you can't carry on, and have a hard time figuring out where exactly the boundaries lie because the off-limits trails are connected to the other ones.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

Alright, TFR goons: I am going to heed your advice for once. I ordered the Galco Executive holster for my (still broken, part STILL on backorder) PPK, and I believe I am going to order a Galco shoulder rig for my Model 10, as well.

Next up: a snubnose revolver and an IWB appendix holster. Are snubby Model 10s as good 4" ones? I mean, accuracy will obviously not be as good, but are they as long-lasting?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

Grimey Drawer

If you don't have a snub nosed revolver already, you might want to look at J frame S&W instead of a Model 10. They have smaller frame and grips and tend to conceal better than the larger K frame Model 10.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

wrong thread.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If you don't have a snub nosed revolver already, you might want to look at J frame S&W instead of a Model 10. They have smaller frame and grips and tend to conceal better than the larger K frame Model 10.

Also they had a recent price drop. You can get a NiB J-frame, in the hammer style of your choice, for in the neighborhood of $350. At that price, everyone should have one.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

Are snubby Model 10s as good 4" ones? I mean, accuracy will obviously not be as good, but are they as long-lasting?

Philosophical choices (J-frame vs. K-frame) aside, there's really very little difference between a 2" 10 and a 4" 10. You get a bit less velocity out of the shorter barrel, and that's the biggest difference. Any accuracy changes you see are most likely due to the shorter sight radius and not any mechanical fault of the gun's.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

I need a magazine carrier for a M&P9c for concealed carry. I'm looking at a BlackHawk CQC or a Comp-Tac. Is there a better option at a similar price point?

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

televiper posted:

Also they had a recent price drop. You can get a NiB J-frame, in the hammer style of your choice, for in the neighborhood of $350. At that price, everyone should have one.

Uh, really? Is that the +P version? What models?

The only model I see for anywhere NEAR that cheap is the "Bodyguard"- the hammerless, laser-equipped model. And that thing feels waaaay too cheap.

The impractical side of me wants one of those .357 Airweights, with the fiber optic sights...

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

poopgiggle posted:

I need a magazine carrier for a M&P9c for concealed carry. I'm looking at a BlackHawk CQC or a Comp-Tac. Is there a better option at a similar price point?

I like Ready Tactical's mag carriers. http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Pistol_Mag_Pouch_p/rdt.103.htm

I don't often use them for CCW though.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

Uh, really? Is that the +P version? What models?

The only model I see for anywhere NEAR that cheap is the "Bodyguard"- the hammerless, laser-equipped model. And that thing feels waaaay too cheap.

The impractical side of me wants one of those .357 Airweights, with the fiber optic sights...

There's this, along with some other S&W snubbies.

I am curious if these are +P or not. I didn't know they made .38s that weren't +P these days.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

charliebravo77 posted:

I don't often use them for CCW though.

We need a crying Abraham Lincoln IL emote.

Those mag carriers look like just the ticket.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

poopgiggle posted:

We need a crying Abraham Lincoln IL emote.

Those mag carriers look like just the ticket.

I dunno, mine slide around on my belt a bit during competition so if you CCW'ed with them I'd be worried you'd spend all your time adjusting them.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Drav posted:

I dunno, mine slide around on my belt a bit during competition so if you CCW'ed with them I'd be worried you'd spend all your time adjusting them.

I currently CCW my P6 with German police surplus leather magazine pouches that also slide around a bit and it's never been a huge deal for me.

Dumb question: when I select "Right-hand," does that mean I carry it on my right-hand side or does it mean it was made for a right-handed person (thus, would be made to be carried on the left side)?

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

poopgiggle posted:

I currently CCW my P6 with German police surplus leather magazine pouches that also slide around a bit and it's never been a huge deal for me.

Dumb question: when I select "Right-hand," does that mean I carry it on my right-hand side or does it mean it was made for a right-handed person (thus, would be made to be carried on the left side)?

Right hand if you shoot right-handed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Drav posted:

Right hand if you shoot right-handed

Alright. Ordered.

Thanks Goons.

• Locked thread